PDA

View Full Version : Granite Gear White Lightnin'

Shadowmoss
12-25-2007, 13:11
I just ordered a Granite Gear White Lightnin' 12x10 tarp from REI. With it being on closeout for $93 and the holiday coupon, I got it for $83.12 plus tax. I have it sent to the local REI so there is no shipping cost. It is a cat cut tarp, and from the description it looks like it may be silnylon. It's 28oz. My questions are, since I haven't really been looking at tarps (it was a spontaneous splurge), how does this fit spec-wise with some of the others, such as a Macat or a Speer winter tarp? Weight and size are what I'm mostly wondering, although I also wonder if I got as good a price as I think I did.

Since my other tarp is a Hennessy poly hex tarp I'm spoiled by having a large tarp. This will go in the pile with my 5 hammocks, 3 packs, etc. ... One of these days I'm going to actually go hiking with this stuff :)

Just Jeff
12-25-2007, 14:08
JRB and Speer hammocks are 11x10, so you get a foot longer ridgeline. The Speer is 16 oz made from 1.1 oz silnylon, and requires 8 stakes. The JRB is 18 oz made from 1.1 oz silnylon, and requires 6 stakes. Both have varying levels of cat cuts on them.

The White Lightning is 23 oz according to the Granite Gear website, and requires 6 stakes. It says it's made from 30D sil cordura ripstop...30D is 1.1 oz ripstop.

The website lists it for $190...heckuva deal at $83!! Let us know how it works out for you!

redbeard
12-25-2007, 18:25
I use a white lightning over my homemade hammocks. It's a great tarp with good coverage. I did remove the webbing adjusters except the ones on the ridgeline.They're handy for centering the tarp over the hammock

Shadowmoss
12-25-2007, 21:21
I did see that the GG site lists the weight as 1lb 7oz and REI shows it as 28 oz. Strange. I appreciate the translation that 30D sil cordura ripstop == 1.1 oz ripstop, that was one thing I was really wondering about. And, yeah, I'm wondering about the 'webbing adjusters' too.

It should be here in time for my 3 weeks that I'll be down at Dobbins for work. I'm hoping to head to Springer while I'm down there. Since I'm driving and not flying, I guess I could take my sewing machine and maybe actually make my DIY hammock... hmmm... Wonder if anyone would complain about the noise in the hotel while I sewed? :) I"ll also have my Treklight double with my Speer snugfit. Anyway, I'll get the new tarp out and play while I'm down there.