PDA

View Full Version : UQ baffle direction

trailryder42
01-09-2011, 18:10
Hey all. What are the thoughts on which baffle direction is better suited to different lie hammocks?

Example: Seems to me that with a hammock that hangs less flat, more like a banana, you'd want your UQ baffles to run cross-ways instead of lengthwise with the UQ. Or is it even a concern that the lofting might work its way/accumulate toward the lowest point, leaving the ends uninsulated?

Grinder
01-09-2011, 18:12
JRB Mt. Washington's run sideways. Good enough for me.

There are probably reasons for either way though.

MAD777
01-09-2011, 19:12
If you are going to make the under quilt yourself, it would be easier to run the baffles longitudinally instead of cross wise. You can cut the longitudinal baffles straight but the cross wise baffles would need to be cut in a semi-circular shape (somewhat of a pain and makes a lot more wasted netting).

trailryder42
01-09-2011, 23:35
No, I'm going to buy from one of the vendors here. Just was wondering if there were specific reasons I should consider for choosing an UQ that have to do with baffle direction and type lay of the hammock it's going on.

If you are going to make the under quilt yourself,

warbonnetguy
01-10-2011, 02:31
there is more differential side to side than there is lengthwise, so it makes sense from a design standpoint to run them that way (lengthwise)

Lepmeister
01-10-2011, 02:42
Perfectly timed thread, was just wondering that yesturday...

stormcrow
01-10-2011, 03:10
there is more differential side to side than there is lengthwise, so it makes sense from a design standpoint to run them that way (lengthwise)

I will second that.

titanium_hiker
01-10-2011, 03:29
easier to shake down down for extra tushie-warmth on side-side baffles - but both work.