PDA

View Full Version : 3 JRB Quilts in the high - mid teens

turk
12-27-2007, 01:12
Greetings, Having just opened my christmas presents and diving out for the night in the JRB Hammock tent, I spent my first winter night using only an open quilt sleep system, with no pads, and no conventional bags.

Conditions were mild, and some may find my setup puzzling, such as open doors on the tent.. but I was set up to test
a certain set of parameters in preparation for a snowshoe trip in just a few weeks.

Temperature was 21 deg F @ 5:00pm, and fell to 16-17 deg F night-time low, with winds @ 10-12 mph.

Shelter - JRB Hammock tent. 2 doors full open, 2 doors 3/4 closed.
(Ti-goat stove - used only for cooking, and day-time heat source. not used as a night-time heat source in this test)

Hammock - Eagle Nest Outfitters - ENO Single.

Sleep Clothing - MF T-shirt, cotton socks, MF-200 Hooded Sweater,
BDU combat pants, and a wool toque.

Insulation system:
2x Underquilts - JRB Nest (closest to hammock body) and JRB Old Rag Mountain outside the nest.
Top Quilt - JRB Rocky Mountain No Sniveller

Comments: I slept well with this system once I finally got it dialed in just right. This took several attempts before I settled on the above configuration.
I started early with the ORM, and RMS as underquilts, and my FF Rockwren as top quilt. I have been very skeptical of my comfort using top quilts especially in conditions with even light winds. Also it came to me that I wanted to test out strictly my JRB quilts. So I went in and swapped out the FF Rockwren for my Nest. I quickly became cold just reading in the hammock due to drafts around my arms and chest while holding my book. I added the FF Rock wren(in quilt mode) on top of my nest (Now a 4 piece sleep system:eek: ) and quickly overheated and began sweating within 10 minutes.

I got up and played musical quilts. Ultimately ending with the Nest, and ORM as underquilts, the RMS as top quilt, and my FF Rockwren balled up as my pillow and arm rest for reading. My only cold spots were my feet when shifting position. The wind was drafting through the tent, from the footend to head end of my hammock. I was warm, but not overly comfortable using only a top quilt as I tended to expose my back when sleeping on my side. I was also trying to be extra careful not to breathe into or under the top quilt.

I would estimate that I personally would not be comfortable beyond perhaps another 5 deg. F colder in temp. or even another 5 mph higher winds. Namely because of the draft issues with the top quilt. I am confident the underquilt configuration of NEST+ORM can get me a ways lower yet in temp. but not in increased wind drafts.

I will certainly be testing this tandem underquilt configuration more with a conventional bag on top. Also I will be testing out the ORM and RMS as tandem underquilts in the next 2 weeks.

Anyone have tips, suggestions, or experiences using only open quilts in this kind of weather, please share. Also if you have any tips or comments about reaching the temp limits of the NEST + ORM combo, would be greatly appreciated to hear your thoughts. I seem to recall reports of people getting a bit lower and staying comfortable with similar setup.

slowhike
12-27-2007, 07:10
i know what you mean about getting drafts (especially on your side) when it's really cold.
but if you're just starting to use a quilt, it may just take time to mentally adjust to keeping it tucked (especially when you turn).
after some time w/ a quilt, i think i have learned to (for the most part) move in such a way that i don't as often open the sides of the quilt to drafts, even in my sleep.
if i do, it's a quick fix to re-tuck.

i recently got a JRB rocky mt sniveler too, but haven't had a chance to test it in the cold yet.
but it does have a draw string at the top (as well as at the bottom) so it can be partly drawn up w/ the cord locks & then you could even tie the cords together in a bow & put your head through the opening. this should help keep it in place around your neck, reducing drafts.
but i haven't had a chance to try it overnight yet.

but at the same time, i understand the importance of a tight seal when it's really cold to prevent the exchange of warm & cold air.
so i keep thinking about the type quilt i made last year, which functions a lot like the rock wren.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/5/PC090125.JPG
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/5/PC140026.JPG
i may make another but use down.
but the major changes that need to take place w/ the next one are that...
it needs to be a little wider.
& it will need a two way, separating zipper rather than velcro.

neo
12-27-2007, 09:28
Greetings, Having just opened my christmas presents and diving out for the night in the JRB Hammock tent, I spent my first winter night using only an open quilt sleep system, with no pads, and no conventional bags.

Conditions were mild, and some may find my setup puzzling, such as open doors on the tent.. but I was set up to test
a certain set of parameters in preparation for a snowshoe trip in just a few weeks.

Temperature was 21 deg F @ 5:00pm, and fell to 16-17 deg F night-time low, with winds @ 10-12 mph.

Shelter - JRB Hammock tent. 2 doors full open, 2 doors 3/4 closed.
(Ti-goat stove - used only for cooking, and day-time heat source. not used as a night-time heat source in this test)

Hammock - Eagle Nest Outfitters - ENO Single.

Sleep Clothing - MF T-shirt, cotton socks, MF-200 Hooded Sweater,
BDU combat pants, and a wool toque.

Insulation system:
2x Underquilts - JRB Nest (closest to hammock body) and JRB Old Rag Mountain outside the nest.
Top Quilt - JRB Rocky Mountain No Sniveller

Comments: I slept well with this system once I finally got it dialed in just right. This took several attempts before I settled on the above configuration.
I started early with the ORM, and RMS as underquilts, and my FF Rockwren as top quilt. I have been very skeptical of my comfort using top quilts especially in conditions with even light winds. Also it came to me that I wanted to test out strictly my JRB quilts. So I went in and swapped out the FF Rockwren for my Nest. I quickly became cold just reading in the hammock due to drafts around my arms and chest while holding my book. I added the FF Rock wren(in quilt mode) on top of my nest (Now a 4 piece sleep system:eek: ) and quickly overheated and began sweating within 10 minutes.

I got up and played musical quilts. Ultimately ending with the Nest, and ORM as underquilts, the RMS as top quilt, and my FF Rockwren balled up as my pillow and arm rest for reading. My only cold spots were my feet when shifting position. The wind was drafting through the tent, from the footend to head end of my hammock. I was warm, but not overly comfortable using only a top quilt as I tended to expose my back when sleeping on my side. I was also trying to be extra careful not to breathe into or under the top quilt.

I would estimate that I personally would not be comfortable beyond perhaps another 5 deg. F colder in temp. or even another 5 mph higher winds. Namely because of the draft issues with the top quilt. I am confident the underquilt configuration of NEST+ORM can get me a ways lower yet in temp. but not in increased wind drafts.

I will certainly be testing this tandem underquilt configuration more with a conventional bag on top. Also I will be testing out the ORM and RMS as tandem underquilts in the next 2 weeks.

Anyone have tips, suggestions, or experiences using only open quilts in this kind of weather, please share. Also if you have any tips or comments about reaching the temp limits of the NEST + ORM combo, would be greatly appreciated to hear your thoughts. I seem to recall reports of people getting a bit lower and staying comfortable with similar setup.

i have been in mid teens with 30 degree speer quilt and a wally world pad many times no problem.down to 8.6 degrees with a miltary 3/8 pad and a 10 degree down bag in my claytor jungle hammock.:cool: neo

Take-a-knee
12-27-2007, 10:39
i know what you mean about getting drafts (especially on your side) when it's really cold.
but if you're just starting to use a quilt, it may just take time to mentally adjust to keeping it tucked (especially when you turn).
after some time w/ a quilt, i think i have learned to (for the most part) move in such a way that i don't as often open the sides of the quilt to drafts, even in my sleep.
if i do, it's a quick fix to re-tuck.

i recently got a JRB rocky mt sniveler too, but haven't had a chance to test it in the cold yet.
but it does have a draw string at the top (as well as at the bottom) so it can be partly drawn up w/ the cord locks & then you could even tie the cords together in a bow & put your head through the opening. this should help keep it in place around your neck, reducing drafts.
but i haven't had a chance to try it overnight yet.

but at the same time, i understand the importance of a tight seal when it's really cold to prevent the exchange of warm & cold air.
so i keep thinking about the type quilt i made last year, which functions a lot like the rock wren.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/5/PC090125.JPG
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/5/PC140026.JPG
i may make another but use down.
but the major changes that need to take place w/ the next one are that...
it needs to be a little wider.
& it will need a two way, separating zipper rather than velcro.

That wearable bag looks really cool Slowhike, if you want a something simalar in down you could buy this:

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=ExtremeLite%20Series&viewpost=2&ContentId=29

slowhike
12-27-2007, 19:45
That wearable bag looks really cool Slowhike, if you want a something simalar in down you could buy this:

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=ExtremeLite%20Series&viewpost=2&ContentId=29

that would be usable but i'm liking the options of...

1... being able to vent in front w/ a zipper when it's being worn.

2... when you lay down in the hammock, you just unzip the front, pull your arms back inside the arm holes, & spin it around to the front so it will lay on top as a quilt, leaving your head through the head hole if it's cold for a perfect draft stopper.
your head will be laying on part of the quilt leaving no opening for drafts.

3... if you want to read in the hammock w/ the quilt on top, just put your arms back out the arm holes. now it will be on backwards from the way you would wear it standing, but the only thing exposed is your arms & head.