PDA

View Full Version : Should I go TQ or Down Bag

aboyd
01-13-2011, 12:45
OK, I would like to decrease the weight of my winter time top insulation, currently a 15* Marmot synthetic sleeping bag used as a top quilt (3.5 lbs). It is actually a little snug for me as a bag, but my wife uses it when we tent camp. I am considering a top quilt, but I also still tent camp from time to time with the family (I try to hang in the hammock, but wife does not always like me to do that). Anyway, I saw a 2.5 pound 30* down bag on Steep and Cheap and it got me thinking...$105 for a bag that I could use as a TQ, save me a pound on weight, and still use as a bag if needed. So, my question, what would be the major benefit of getting a true TQ instead? Maybe a little more weight savings? Compress smaller maybe? I would probably want to look for a 20* or maybe 15* bag, but a 30* might do it for me. Any guidance and opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Red Wing
01-13-2011, 12:59
I think a lot of people worry about zippers against the hammock, that's the only reason I briefly considered one, but the versatility of the sleeping bag will keep going in that direction.

Speculating so someone else chime in if I'm wrong or missed something

MAD777
01-13-2011, 13:01
So, my question, what would be the major benefit of getting a true TQ instead? Maybe a little more weight savings? Compress smaller maybe?

I think you have the answer right there, plus no gymnastics required.

If you only hammock camped, it would be a no-brainer to go with a top quilt, but you need to look at the whole picture. You could always get a wider quilt that is made for ground sleeping. Sort of a middle of the road compromise.

I look at it this way; we all carry some non-essential item that serves some personal want. I carry a mini weather station (temps, wind chill, humidity, etc). It adds 2.5 oz to my load but doesn't make me any warmer. It's just neat to see what my body feels.

Joey
01-13-2011, 13:03
Being a new convert to the hammock, I've used a TQ in my tarp for years on the ground.

The concept being that what you are laying on top of you are compressing, and therefore negating it's insulation ability. My pad did the insulation for me, keeping the cold of the ground from seeping up into me. The TQ kept me warm by holding and insulating the heat rising from my body. Heat rises, so this makes sense..yes?

No zipper to fuss with. Lighter weight. Works on the ground or in a hammock. TQ's just make better sense, IMO.

Red Wing
01-13-2011, 13:06
I would feel like I'd lose a lot of trapped air having no seem to seal it into like a bag. If I rolled over and took my TQ with me (like I do everynight at home with our comfortor) it would wake me up REAL quick..

I understand the concept also of sleeping on insulations takes away it's properties, but even if it's not keeping me warm on the ground, it definitely adds to comfort IMO

PoundTown
01-13-2011, 13:11
you should look into a mummy liner for your current sleeping bag. When i go on long trips 6+ days I use one and just stuff it with some of my clothes and it holds them around my bag while barely adding weight. They weigh like 4oz and very efficient!

aboyd
01-13-2011, 14:15
Well, I have never had any problem, gymnastics, getting in my bag in the hammock....as long as I use it in TQ mode. Never thought about the zipper issue, is that really a problem, or danger? Maybe if I removed the zipper pull and went with a piece if string for the pull?

G.L.P.
01-14-2011, 12:30
i know JRB makes wide TQ .... i would look at them... this way you can use them while you hang and also on the ground .. and still save on weight

also you can talk to Adam...i'm sure he can do a custom job for ya

Wags
01-16-2011, 22:11
the golite 800 fill quilts at 50% off are a mighty fine intro into quilting. in fact, i have found no need to look elsewhere. it's nice and wide so you'd be fine using it on the ground if you had to. in my hammock, all that extra width ends up being down piled up on top of me. MMMMM warmth

aboyd
01-16-2011, 22:24
the golite 800 fill quilts at 50% off are a mighty fine intro into quilting. in fact, i have found no need to look elsewhere. it's nice and wide so you'd be fine using it on the ground if you had to. in my hammock, all that extra width ends up being down piled up on top of me. MMMMM warmth

Where can I find these at 50% off?

Trooper
01-16-2011, 22:40
This question comes up frequently, and it seems we are divided into baggers and quilters. I personally prefer a quilt for a hammock, and for most circumstances on the ground.

I do see that some that insist on bags indicate that they haven't tried a quilt. Perhaps they are simply trying to convince themselves they don't need to spend another $200.00 on more gear. Then again, maybe I'm convincing myself my money was justified...but I've tried bags and quilts.

tight-wad
01-16-2011, 23:11
A velcro footbox with draw cord eliminates the zipper issue. A wide enough, full length quilt will allow you to make it through the night on the 2x4 floor of an AT shelter with a minimal closed foam pad. You might not "sleep" because of the hard, hard floor, but it won't be because of cold spots. (Substitute whatever you wish for a 2x4 shelter floor.)

12 ounces of 900 fp down = 10800 cu in.
72 inches long x 47 inches wide x 3 inches loft = 10152 cu inches.
3 inches loft = very, very warm.
47 inches wide = plenty to tuck in if you are stuck on a 2x4 floor = cozy, cozy in a hammock.
Fabric for the above = 6 or so ounces, total weight = 18+ ounces.

Mindwalk
01-17-2011, 00:31
Where can I find these at 50% off?

I would like to know this too please.... :D

gunner76
01-17-2011, 08:52
I use my down bag as a TQ. Can't see spending money on a TQ as I have something that works

Trooper
01-17-2011, 09:57
I use my down bag as a TQ. Can't see spending money on a TQ as I have something that works

Excellent mindset. I would feel the same if my bag had a full-length zipper. But, my TQ protects me to the same temperatures as my bag, is about 40% lighter, and compresses to half the size.

aboyd
01-17-2011, 10:45
Well, my current bag keeps be warm and is easy to use in the hammock, but it weighs 3.5 pounds.....so.....I am going to upgrade sooner or later, although I might consider a smaller tarp first as a weight savings, but that's another story. You guys have gave me great insight and I am going to mull it over and try to make a choice. I will likely keep an eye out for a nice light weight down bag to go on sale while I save for and continue to shop for TQ's....whichever I find first that fits my budget and my weight and warmth needs, I will buy...thanks so much for all the good info.

tammons
01-17-2011, 13:08
Golite ultra 20 was one of the best purchases I have ever made.
you can find them used sometimes.

They have new models now that are a couple of ounces heavier.

I just got a golite R1+ syn 40dF quilt for $84 shipped, 40% discount using a 1st time buyer discount code.

I used the code BSF10 for a 1st time purchase 40% off the entire order about 10 days ago and it worked.

Unfortunately that was all I needed.

tonejones
01-17-2011, 23:30
I used a montbell ul ss #3 for a top quilt until I noticed where the zipper was wearing holes in my hammock. So I sold it and bought a top quilt and haven't looked back.

Wags
01-18-2011, 11:21
Golite ultra 20 was one of the best purchases I have ever made.
you can find them used sometimes.

They have new models now that are a couple of ounces heavier.

I just got a golite R1+ syn 40dF quilt for $84 shipped, 40% discount using a 1st time buyer discount code.

I used the code BSF10 for a 1st time purchase 40% off the entire order about 10 days ago and it worked.

Unfortunately that was all I needed.

sorry, it's not 50%. tammons has the accurate info at 40% off, which is still a heafty amount of $$$

golite 20+ 800 fill quilt. that's what i use (except i have the older model) :D

Slanket
01-27-2011, 21:04
A possible compromise between a quilt and a bag might be a Big Agnes bag.

Big Agnes bags are unique in that they have no fill on the bottom of the bag, which could make them uniquely suited to hammock camping. Normally, you slip in one of their air mattresses (which seem to have an R value of THPPPPT) and that takes the place of the down that would have been compressed by you laying on it. Someone got me a Pomer Hoit SL as a gift and I have to say the top insulation is very warm, but the zipper is a bit of a pain and I'm not a fan of the Big Agnes sleep pads. I haven't tried it in a hammock yet.

If you're looking to get something off SteepAndCheap, I'd recommend waiting until the Stoic Somnus 15 comes up. The way it zips makes it very easy to get out of and it's actually kind of designed like most of the overquilts I've seen (plus a hood and zipper). Since the zipper is in the center, it wont wear holes into your hammock. It's also got a little pocket at the feet where you can throw a nalgene full of hot water into for when it gets cold.

Both the Pomer Hoit and the Somnus weigh a little over 2 lbs. That's all the info I can offer right now since I've never tried an overquilt before.

optimator
01-27-2011, 22:19
I used a montbell ul ss #3 for a top quilt until I noticed where the zipper was wearing holes in my hammock. So I sold it and bought a top quilt and haven't looked back.

I've been using my #2 for a top quilt. I never even considered the possibility of this. I went and checked my hammocks and there's zero sign of any wear at all. But maybe it's time to sell off one of my BB's to fund a TQ.