PDA

View Full Version : KNow anything about Hancock Fabrics Fleece?

GvilleDave
01-13-2011, 16:02
Does anyone here know which fleece products that Hancock sells are warmest, etc... The ladies in the store had no clue.

I want to play around with some ideas for a couple winter gear items but don't want to experiment w/ the higher cost Polartec I would have to order...

NCPatrick
01-13-2011, 16:03
I've made a few hats and mittens and things from their bargain fleece. Seems warm enough to me, plus it's on sale fairly often too. YMMV of course.

jbo_c
01-13-2011, 22:14
No idea, but I did pick up a half yard of black for $1 last week to make a neck gaiter/balaclava and/or hat.

Jbo

GvilleDave
01-13-2011, 22:56
A balaclava is one of my winter projects... Do you have any templates or patterns that you worked from? So far I am just free handing and trial & error w/ some cheap WM ripstop until I get a pattern that works.

jbo_c
01-14-2011, 06:34
Freehanding here too.

Jbo

NCPatrick
01-14-2011, 08:17
Yep, winging it with my hats/mittens too.

Ramblinrev
01-14-2011, 08:19
Not knowing anything about Hancock I don't know if this applies or not. Fleece is rated by some arcane scale which I have never been able to figure out. There seems to be 100, 200 and 300 weight. The 300 weight is heavier and warmer than the others. If you can find that designation that should help.

There are different types of fleece as well. Some fleece is single sided. Some is double sided. Obviously the double sided would be warmer than the single sided. Again, I don;t a Hancock in my area but there are some things to look for.

KerMegan
01-14-2011, 08:35
I have a balalclava pattern that worked well for me, it was from "Green Pepper" designs- (also had hats if I recall) which might be available at hancocks/joann but an online search will surely turn up more places KM

olddog
02-07-2011, 22:20
Most fabric stores have a harder learning curve than you do. Some one stated in an earlier post that you would have employee's in tell you that it can't be done. In a local Joann's when I said hammocks the lady pointed me towards the canvas. I have a Hancocks a few miles down the road that now knows what I'm about when I come in. Just explain what your up to and admit that it may not work and they will sell you anything.