PDA

View Full Version : Northern Canada help please

NickJ
01-14-2011, 12:30
I'm looking at planning a trip over there next year and am wondering about a suitable National Park to visit. I want to paddle and hang and am happy to go anywhere, but I will need a place to hire a canoe as it's not practical to take my own (I'm in the UK). I want wilderness, not campsite.

I'm also wondering about the best time to go. For work reasons it would need to be between either end of March / early June, or beginning of July / mid October.

I've searched the internet and have some basic ideas (Yukon) but would appreciate more ideas or specific suggestions for trips. I'm not set on Yukon and am happy to look at other areas. I can do 3 weeks for a trip to include travel each way.

Cannibal
01-14-2011, 12:46
I was up in the Northland this summer near Hudson's Bay then east towards the Saint Lawrence. You'll get wilderness, believe me! We drove for hours, on dirt roads, without seeing another soul. You come across random 'villages' of mobile homes and the occasional mine and such, but very sparse...and BEAUTIFUL! Many of the areas have a spongy ground which resulted in spending a lot more time finding a good hang. The trees are relatively small and their root systems are shallow in the spongy ground. Not hard to push over by hand in many cases.

I'm sure this is just the area I was in, but wanted to give you a heads-up. Very, very pretty country inhabited by gracious people. The Native Tribes can be stand-offish, but even they will warm up to you given a little time. Listen to them! They know some great little tricks to surviving up there and they are happy to share their knowledge. The trick with them is to NOT ask any questions, they will clam-up immediately. Let them tell you in their time and they will tell you what they know as they believe it applies to you. Learned a great trick for cooking and eating bony fish. Mmmmm, good.

Wonderful place for an outdoorsman/woman. Really pristine and wild country and I can't wait to go back!

NickJ
01-14-2011, 13:22
Many thanks. Sounds great. The st Lawrence is huge isn't it? Will have to look at the map.

Any other ideas gratefully received

Cannibal
01-14-2011, 13:38
The st Lawrence is huge isn't it?
Yes it is. That was one of the most scenic parts of my trip. Every little town you go through along the St. Lawrence looks like a postcard. Just beautiful!

NickJ
01-14-2011, 13:41
Are we talking forest or river? :D

I just looked up the first nations in the area and the list is incredible. So interesting. My problem from here is that I can only see the whole area on google maps which isn't ideal so I'll have to get to the book shop for a proper look.

My other issue is which airport to fly to as I'll need a rental car / 4x4 depending on where I go

Cannibal
01-14-2011, 13:51
Only airport I've used was the one in Quebec City. Rethink the 4x4 bit if you are planning on long drives. We got lucky and they didn't have the car I had reserved, so I was forced to accept a Lincoln Towncar. That vehicle is so far removed from 'my style' that it's funny, but it turned out to be ideal. As I said, the area we were in had only dirt roads. They were unbelievably smooth for dirt roads, but they were still dirt. That big ol Towncar let us just cruise down the roads with very little discomfort. I'm still coughing up road dust half a year later, but my backside was comfortable while bouncing down the road. It would not have been as pleasant in a vehicle with a stiffer suspension and we would not have been able to cover as much ground as we did in 10 days in most other vehicles because we would have been driving much slower.

Yeah, the river. Sorry bout that. :D

NickJ
01-14-2011, 14:53
Interesting. I drive a Landrover Defender so I'm used to a pretty harsh ride :lol:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_65S0ROXHOHo/TGJ9EYZlE1I/AAAAAAAAACU/7mxWzVcrmpA/s800/Photo%20%2887%29LR.jpg

Rug
01-14-2011, 15:00
For bigger trees, hundreds of km of waterways, and as rough or easy as you are willing to go (including canoe rentals); look at or near Algonquin Park in Ontario.
Another awesome place to goto would be BC or Alberta (Rocky mountains ftw).
Keep in mind Canada has the largest contiguous forest in the world (yes, even bigger then the rain-forests of South America). Anywhere you go, it is easy to find 'native bush'. (Rule of thumb: make sure you are more then 3hrs from the USA/Canada border.)

Like Cannibal said, the soil is mighty thin near the tree-line, and the trees are accordingly smaller; but don't let that dissuade you.

Danalex
01-14-2011, 15:11
East? West?

We've got a big country here.

Narrow it down a bit and maybe I can help. How far out there do you want to be? Bid difference between Central Ontario and Yukon Territories.

I was up in Labrador and Newfoundland this summer and up at James Bay the summer before.

Mick
01-14-2011, 15:29
Hey NickJ,

As far as the time of year to come over I would strongly suggest Aug to Oct. as a better time than the spring..... unless your liked being slowly eaten,piece by piece by Horse flies, black flies and mosquitos. While there are ways to deal with them (bug suit,strong bug spray etc.) I find that it's the incessant noise that really drives me crazy.Those suckers can hum with with a lot of decibels.

One suggestion for a destination would be here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missinaibi_River

Here is an example of some of the outfitters along this river

http://www.missinaibi.com/

I'm not endorsing this company, I'ver never used them, just trying to show your what some of your options can be. There are a lot of outfitters in Ontario's north.

Mick

Stevicide
01-14-2011, 16:43
Hi Nick, I second Rug's recommendation for Algonquin Park. It is about 300km north of Toronto's Airport. It is one of my favourite places to camp in Ontario.

Check out Algonquin Outfitters (http://www.algonquinoutfitters.com/) for any equipment rental needs you may have. I've never rented from them personally, however I see people in their canoes regularly in the park.

I go with a group of guys in the first few weeks of May to go trout fishing every year. Generally that is just before the bugs begin to eat people. If you can't go before the bugs get bad, I'd go anytime in September or October and you should be able to expect temperatures well above 10°C at night (worst case).

You can get maps of the park from Ontario Parks (http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/ont_map.html) website.

Cheers

sturgeon
01-14-2011, 17:07
Good recommendations above. I think it depends on the landscape you desire, your comfort level in a canoe, and how much effort you want to expend getting there. You'd probably fly into Toronto, so I'll limit this to Ontario.

There are three really big canoeing parks in Ontario--Algonquin, Quetico, and Wabakimi. Algonquin: beautiful, the canoeist's idealized landscape, great hanging trees, can rent a car from Toronto, but proximity to Toronto means you'll see other people. Quetico, also beautiful, farther from major centres, you'll have to get a connecting flight to Thunder Bay and then rent a car, you'll still see people, but fewer. Wabakimi, harder to get to, farther from Thunder Bay, more boreal landscape (versus mixed forest in Algonquin and Quetico, so might be harder to find the perfect trees sometimes), you'll see very few people at all.

If you youtube those names, you'll see what it's all about. And check websites like outdoor adventure canada and canadian canoe routes to get advice.

And that's just the parks. (Parks = fees and bothersome rules, but usually mean outfitters to rent a canoe from!) If you look at any map of Canada that shows the Canadian Shield, that's canoe country. Some of my best hikes and fishing and camping have been on simple crown land. A buddy of mine tells me northern Saskatchewan is awesome. Hope this helps.

Danalex
01-14-2011, 17:20
I was up in the Northland this summer near Hudson's Bay

Where were you, in Radisson?

Two years ago I was up there and rode the Trans Taiga into central Quebec. It was 750km from the nearest town, furthest you can get from civilization by road anywhere in North America.

Beautiful up there. Labor Day week and the weather was great and no bugs!!

mbiraman
01-14-2011, 17:21
Like someone else said if you get more soecific about landscape, river, lake , mountains etc then we can narrow it down. While your on you tube check out the Skeena, Stakine, Athabaska, Saskachawan rivers. Also check out Nahanni park ( kind of remote). Algonquin is a good choice ,ease of getting there. Anyway.

bill

PS; i can't believe i forgot to mention Bowron Park consistently named one of the top canoe parks in North America. 75 miles, portages, lakes mountains etc,,check out you tube and also this
http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2620&p=39262&hilit=bowron+park#p39262

Cannibal
01-14-2011, 17:36
Basically, we went from Quebec City to Lac Saint-Jean, then to Lac Chibougamamu (oooh, did we have fun saying that one! :lol:), then on to Hudson's Bay. Up the west side of the Bay for what seemed like a thousand miles until we ran out of road. Along the Bay is where we met the Indian Natives. We were there scouting a kayak trip, so we were following the waterways as best we could by road and talking to as many people as would talk to us. Learned some good curse words on that trip! :D

HangingKayaker
02-15-2011, 13:47
Bowron Lakes Provincial Park, BC. Did a week long canoe trip through the lakes (about 140km). It's one of the few places in the world where you start where you finish. It is regulated though so if interested you may want to look into it early. They only allow so many out per day. I'd love to do it in my kayak next time.

Oxblood
02-17-2011, 13:52
NickJ, you may wish to consider the Bowron Lakes circuit in BC. It is easily accessible (6 to 7 hours drive on paved roads from Vancouver), and there are outfitters that will equip you with everything you need. You can choose to rent equipment and do the trip on your own, or take a guided trip.

The circuit is composed of six lakes covering about 115 km, and can be done in s to 7 days. There is ample shore camping including some organized sites. Reservations are basically required, as the Provincial Park restricts the number of conoes that go out daily so as to avoid congestion. Most people of moderate canoeing skill should be able to do the circuit without any difficulties. Kayaks are also permitted. There are no power boats anywhere on the circuit by park Regulation.

On the trip, if you get a fishing license you can eat fresh rainbow and cutthroat trout daily, see plenty of moose and deer, and possibly some grizzlies, eagles, otters, etc. it is truly an amazing place. Bugs are present, but no where what you would experience in Northern Ontario.

Another option close to Vancouver is the Powell lakes circuit. They are located near Powell River, just 4 hours north of Vancouver. There are 8 lakes and 5 portages over 57 km. While not as demanding as the Bowron lakes, they also do not require the same time commitment. As with the Bowron Lakes, there are plenty of locals to rent equipment from. During summer the area has beautiful weather, with temps in the low to mid 20's C, and nice, cool evenings. About the only bugs are mozzies.

DJPyro
04-18-2011, 15:23

Two years ago I was up there and rode the Trans Taiga into central Quebec. It was 750km from the nearest town, furthest you can get from civilization by road anywhere in North America.

Beautiful up there. Labor Day week and the weather was great and no bugs!!

Good to hear. I'm in Northern Ontario, and I've got a week long trip planned up there this summer.

OP: I'm on the shore of Lake Superior, and I'm not sure the length of your stay but I'd be willing to take you out for a weekend or two, and/or give you some pointers to good areas. We have Lake Superior Provincial Park not too far away, with pleanty of day and multi-day hiking trails, as well as pleanty of Crown Land to camp on.

I know this thread has been buried for a while, but I'm sure you're still planning your trip and I thought I'd extend my help.