PDA

View Full Version : 3 Season Hammock Gear Quilts love at first sight

lazy river road
01-15-2011, 13:06
Ok so I finally got my 3 season incubator 900 and I am left speechless. As one of many hammock gear quilts I own this is another thing of beauty. I can't wait for my three season burrow. Current temps are like 26 no winds and after an hr of laying in it I felt like a roasted marshmello that was slowly cooked. It is so toasty warm. The navy blue outside with silver interior looks great against the WBBB the quilt easily lofted up ande ven with no overstuff that quilt is packed. I have no question this could easily take me down to 15 mabey lower with the right cloths. This is also my first full length and my what a luxery compared to 3/4. I stlii think id perfer 3/4 on a back pack trip but for the car full is the only way to go I cant wait to get my burrow and do a table top review of all 3 season hammock gear quilts and how the orginal conmpare to the new ones and how theyve held up

body942
01-15-2011, 14:32
Exactly the setup I was going to look at. Let us know how it performs. If it's not too personal, what are your dimensions? :)

Shug
01-15-2011, 14:41
I feel you!
I too just got my winter insert/summer TQ from Stormcrow and got a little misty at the puffy Momentum goodness......
Shug

Cranky Bear
01-15-2011, 14:45
I don't think it happened!?!?!?

:lol::lol::lol:

Congrats on the new quilts!

Shug
01-15-2011, 14:55
I don't think it happened!?!?!?

:lol::lol::lol:

Congrats on the new quilts!
Mine did!!!!
LRR ... sorry to jump in and glomm on your thread but I with you.....
Shug

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad127/Shug7secure/IMG_2213.jpg

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad127/Shug7secure/IMG_2216.jpg

Rilmoigan
01-15-2011, 14:56
I've got the same 3-Season, (different colors) and couldn't agree more. It's fantastic!

Cranky Bear
01-15-2011, 15:28
Mine did!!!!

I posted in your thread that you made!

I have been messin with him about the new gear he has got (2 posts about new gear with no pic's, and in all honesty, I'm "SUPER" jealous, no new gear for me:(),and thats all it is, just messin!

lazy river road
01-15-2011, 19:13
Body the 3 S set is a great set up.

Shug what TQ is that the 3 S that thing has lotts of loft. My 3 S burrow should be here any day now. Adam sent my incubator as sonn as it was done even though the burrow wasent finished yet. I can't wait to get it its gonna look so pretty with the incubator

And cranky bear don't worry their will be pics as soon as I dig out my camera. I gonna do a comparison of all six quilts once I get settled in. And don't be to jelous I got a job dedicated to buying gear once a month on saturdays.

lazy river road
01-15-2011, 19:21
P.S. Body I am 6Ft 210 pds use the 1.7 dbl WBBB and all of hammock gear quilts have fit like gloves. On me

Cranky Bear
01-15-2011, 19:51
And don't be to jelous I got a job dedicated to buying gear once a month on saturdays.

That makes me even "MORE" jealous!:(:(

Shug
01-16-2011, 01:48
Body the 3 S set is a great set up.

Shug what TQ is that the 3 S that thing has lotts of loft. My 3 S burrow should be here any day now. Adam sent my incubator as sonn as it was done even though the burrow wasent finished yet. I can't wait to get it its gonna look so pretty with the incubator

It s a bit of a custom winter insert and summer TQ...... bit of overstuff as well. Got it to go into my Black Mamba 0º TQ to boost my winter camping buzz.
Shug

lazy river road
01-19-2011, 08:04
It s a bit of a custom winter insert and summer TQ...... bit of overstuff as well. Got it to go into my Black Mamba 0º TQ to boost my winter camping buzz.
Shug

AAAHHH very cool an hybrid of the 3S and Summer Burrow. So does using two top quilts boost the rating. For example if I used my winter burrow with summer burrow inside? I like to use my JRB fleece liner inside my winter bag makes it feel nice and cozy. But what about to much compression with the two TQ though? I cant wait to the NJ hang to check this gear out if it's warm enough to use my 3S set up instead of winter well just have to see how the wind blows.

lazy river road
01-21-2011, 10:23
YEAH MAN just got the email from Adam. My burrow was sent out and should be landing on my door step soon. So once it's at my door step I'll take pictures (now that Ive dug up my camera) of my new 3S set up, do a review of the 3S quilts, compare all three seasoned quilts from Adam and do a 1 1/2 yr review of how the gear has been holding up, and what similarities and differences their are (improvements design changes) their are between the quilts. AAHH man I cant wait

texashanger
01-24-2011, 12:53
I'm about to pull the ripcord on an Incubator. I have a few questions...

1. I winter camp in temps around 20F-40F. Do I need the winter model for these temps or will the 3 Season suffice?

2. I have a WBBB 1.7. Do you have any problems fitting the hammock? or did you have to do any mods to get it over the footbox?

thanks,

DocBurN
01-24-2011, 14:02
Mine just crossed the border.. I can see it from my house.. come on Canada Post.. hurry!!

lazy river road
01-25-2011, 07:51
I'm about to pull the ripcord on an Incubator. I have a few questions...

1. I winter camp in temps around 20F-40F. Do I need the winter model for these temps or will the 3 Season suffice?

The 3S Inc. is rated down to fifteen. A lot of it depends on if you are a hot or cold sleeper, what you plan on sleeping in (layers of clothing), if you want to sleep with a hot water bottle or not or some other type of heat source. Also depends if you plan on over stuffing it or not. Lots of variables I know it's hard to make a decision but IMHO I'm a cold sleeper so I'd rather be warm then cold meaning that if I'm winter camping and temps at night are going to be 15 or below I'm using my Winter Phoenix, 15-35 3S Incubator above 35 Summer Phoenix. Its really a matter of personnel choice.

2. I have a WBBB 1.7. Do you have any problems fitting the hammock? or did you have to do any mods to get it over the footbox?

thanks,

I have not had a chance to try my Incubator on the my WBBB yet only on the traveler because if there's no bugs theirs no net. I'm gonna set up the WBBB today and try it out with the incubator today just for fun. And many have used the incubator with the WBBB with much success others have had some difficulties from what I have read but all who had difficulties at first figured it out pretty easily by talking to Adam and reading up on different methods of hanging the UQ. I haven't read any complaints in regards to the efficiency or quality of Adam's gear. I know at first I had a lot of trouble gaining the right sag of the UQ but after talking to Adam and forum members on some tips haven't had any problems since. Their are various methods to keeping the incubator up and around the footbox of the WBBB just takes some tinkering some times and some times it dosent take any it all depends on how you lay some times as well. So many variables in every thing and any thing hammock related

lazy river road
01-25-2011, 17:06
Got my burrow from the post office today. Blue shell black inards its a beaut. Pics to come tommrow plus a review of my 3 season set up and a look at all 3 seasons quilts summer and winter and how they have held up over the past year

lazy river road
02-07-2011, 08:13
Ok So now that Ive had my 3 Season Blue Burrow and Incubator for a bit I can finally post a review and some pictures.

Don't know what else to say but these quilts are spot on super fantastically awesome. They are beautifully crafted. Straight as a ruler stitching. They loft up right to where they should be. I love the center draw string for the burrow and the snap on the collar is a great little feature in case I ever have to go to ground :scared: their is no way that quilt is slipping off my shoulders. The sewn foot box IMHO is the only way to go and I love it. At the winter hang and in the back yard tests these quilts easily kept me warm down to 15 with mid weight long johns, booties and a mid weight long sleeve tee. It's very interesting to have 3 burrows (winter, 3S and summer) and they are all different. It's totally awesome to see how Adam has innovated his quilts over the past few years and has never stopped improving on the development of his TQ. I really like seeing this. When Speaking to his wife Jenny on PM she mentioned that Adam is always trying to improve his quilts and seeing the evolution of the Burrow I can attest that it is certainly true. Now in no way shape or form am I saying that their is any thing inadequate about the originals but simply stating that Adam is constantly improving on his gear which I find to be simply awesome. Improvement and innovation is something I look for in any products or company which is one reason why I have 6 hammock gear quilts. Besides the snap and the center draw string not much has changed on the burrow although a little birdie, well I shouldn't, well actually, No hold back. :confused:

Ok now onto the incubator. I got a lot to say about the incubator. First and foremost its awesome. I mean just awesome I have only used a crows nest (Phoenix) to date which I love for back packing but for coziness the incubator takes the cake. I have not had problems of it slipping off my shoulders although I can never remember which end is the foot or shoulder end. I'd suggest putting a color cord lock on one of the ends to help one remember which end is which. I have only used the incubator in the Traveler and when crawling into it its like getting into a toaster over. I do find however that because of the weight of the quilt it does sag a bit in the but area so a piece of shock cord in the center grosgrain loops or diagonally across or triangle thingies fixes this problem. Also Adam includes a 14 ft loop of shock cord which is over kill for a 10 inch hammock ridge line so you can either cut a piece out or tie a loop further down from the original to help it stay snugger against you. As soon as I attached two pieces of shock cord across the ridge line my CBS disappeared which is the path I found easiest for me to keep warm. I actually ended up having to vent the quilt in my back yard test on a day when it was 25 out because I was getting to warm. The tapered ends really makes a great snug fit around the foot area too and the wider shoulders help it not slip. The channels make adjusting the quilt in the hammock nice and easy. It lofts up to right where it should be with no problem. I did find however that if you pull the quilt to tight the top two channels, the down does get a bit compressed so you just have to watch for that so your shoulders don't get cold. It is easily fixed by fluffing it before attaching it as well as not cranking it as hard as you can. IF you pull to tight on the draw channels it compresses the top two channels because you make the baffels smaller and thiner on at the very top (hope that makes sense). This is not a fault of the quilt IMHO but more how one hangs the quilt. IMHO their is a bit more fiddle factor with a full length UQ then a 3/4 UQ one reason why I actually like the 3/4 better. I have no worries that this set will keep me warm down to 15 degrees with light clothing.

And lastly I just love the blue color. Its not bright, matches the sky and just looks pretty IMHO. And I needed a different color then my other quilts. The communication between Adam and myself was nothing less then excellent. Delivery on the quilt was a bit of a wait but that's the price of a top notch hand made piece of gear such as this and I would of gladly of waited twice as long. The Hammock Gear Innovations that ive seen throughout the years has been an excellent evolution of quilts culminating into the modern day Incubator/Phoenix and Burrow. Ive heard that their are some very exciting things to come out of Hammock Gear Inc. but mums the word :mellow: (as I eluded to earlier in my post). Adam as always thanks for an amazingly awesome product, excellent customer service and all the hard work you and Jenny put into your gear and all that you two do for this community it is truly appreciated. I cant wait to see whats to come next from Hammock Gear cause I know what ever it is, it's going to be [SIZE="7"]AWESOME[/SIZE

Peace
LRR

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/1/picture_888_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=12558&c=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=4521&cutoffdate=-1)

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/1/picture_889_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=12559&c=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=4521&cutoffdate=-1)

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/1/picture_895_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=12560&c=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=4521&cutoffdate=-1)

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/1/picture_902_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=12561&c=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=4521&cutoffdate=-1)

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/1/picture_908_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=12562&c=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=4521&cutoffdate=-1)

Cranky Bear
02-07-2011, 09:04
Very nice stuff LRR! Hmmmmm that blue looks very familiar, don't know, oh yea I have that same blue on my summer set from Adam, love that blue, just love it! I completely agree about needing them to be color coded makes it a lot easier to figure out which is which without pulling them out of bags, haha!!!

Side note: I am still trying to work things out with work to go on that hike with ya, will let you know!!!

Red Wing
02-09-2011, 21:01
Stopped by HammockGears' Shop today and saw some of the new stuff those guys are working on. You weren't kidding LRR, classy classy classy people in that shop. Workaholics in that shop too! Anyhow, the prototype I got to see today was top notch. Adam broke down all the adjustments and refinements and I can see no expense spared, he definitely put a lot of time and thought into the new design. Whenever I get mine, I'll break it down in a vid. Thanks again for the recommendation to go to Adam and Jen LRR, they'll def get the rest of my quilt business.

lazy river road
02-09-2011, 21:47
Stopped by HammockGears' Shop today and saw some of the new stuff those guys are working on. You weren't kidding LRR, classy classy classy people in that shop. Workaholics in that shop too! Anyhow, the prototype I got to see today was top notch. Adam broke down all the adjustments and refinements and I can see no expense spared, he definitely put a lot of time and thought into the new design. Whenever I get mine, I'll break it down in a vid. Thanks again for the recommendation to go to Adam and Jen LRR, they'll def get the rest of my quilt business.

Very Glad to hear this Slo. You certainly wont regret it once you receive your quilts. What did you end up getting? Ive head some rumors of some new and exciting stuff coming out of hammock gear as well and I cant wait to see what Adam starts coming up with next. I cant wait to see the prototype of their new design I cant even imagine what it is. And very cool that you visited the shop very cool indeed. Well any ways glad all things worked out for you, enjoy those quilts and cant wait to see that vid.