PDA

View Full Version : does this have possibilities?

TRAVELER
01-15-2011, 13:37
http://www.backcountryedge.com/therm_a_rest-comforter.aspx maybe one for under quilt ,over quilt? just asking.....:confused:

Rhino
01-15-2011, 14:20
It could definitely work but its a little heavy and you may end up doing some modifications to it.

Are you looking for a UQ? If so check this out:
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27156

Syb
01-15-2011, 14:20
Sure does! I think you could do a lot with this.

A couple of things to consider though...
1. Some of the cottage shops here offer 800+ fill for less money and lower temps.
2. The cottage shops UQ/TQ (I think) weigh less than 2 pounds (depending on your preferences of length, overstuff, etc).
3. You would have to add clips/loops and shock cord to turn it in to an underquilt.
4. It doesn't state what the shell material is.
5. The Ventra has feathers and down, whereas the cottage shops use down.

Just some initial thoughts. Sorry to be a downer.

JCINMA
01-15-2011, 14:33
Sorry to be a downer.

Why are you apologizing? This thread is all about down :lol:

PuckerFactor
01-15-2011, 14:43
Yeah, if you're gonna be shelling out $200, go ahead and spend it on a purpose-built UQ. It'll be lighter, lower-rated, basically better in every way. :D

PF

Cranky Bear
01-15-2011, 15:07
I would have to agree with the other post's! While Therm-a-Rest makes very good gear, I think that this particular one, doesn't quite make it to a par level with the other offerings that are available! Now I will say that I have seen the Therm-a-Rest Haven ( http://www.rei.com/product/797480?preferredSku=7974800018&cm_mmc=vl_CDI-_-datafeed-_-product-_-na&mr:referralID=891f628a-20e1-11e0-b21a-001b2166c2c0 ) and this is actually a very nice piece of kit, works better than a normal sleeping bag while in a hammock (don't have to do the scoot-shuffle-scoot, I do understand that you could just use a SB like a TQ and drape it over you) and you can use it on the ground with better coverage than a top quilt (should the need arise to do so), and the cost is closer to most top quilt offerings (close to), the only disadvantage would be venting if you needed too would be sooooooooooooooo much easier with a TQ than the Haven!

Just a thought, or my $0.005!!

Syb
01-15-2011, 16:27
Why are you apologizing? This thread is all about down :lol:
Nice one JC! :D

JCINMA
01-15-2011, 16:28
Nice one JC! :D

*Takes a bow*

MuseJr
01-16-2011, 03:22
I have been using one for the last year or so. It is a nice quilt. The material on the inside is different and is nicer against the skin than the shell material. For summer camping that is a nice option for me. Sure you can save weight but I tend to sweat more with the ripstop nylon shells in the summer months. Add the sheet and pad above tree line and you have a nice option in the summer.

Triptease
01-16-2011, 03:57
At 2lb 6oz for a large, which is what I need, it is not an option for me. There are much better/comparable options out there, especially at that price.