PDA

View Full Version : VIDEO: Pod Peek & Practice

Shug
01-18-2011, 09:35
The "PeaPod" has been coming up a lot of late so I just had to utilize a good ol' sleeping bag and jump on the bandwagon.........
As I am always looking to improve my winter system ....and just have some fun....... I am trying the "PeaPod" method on my hammock with my Western Mountaineering sleeping bag.
A bunch of fellers were just touting the wonder of this type of system from a recent sub 0º hang that they did. That got me just needing to give this a go!
Looking forward to trying this out in the piney woods!!!!!!

BONUS STUFF>>>>>(or not .... depends on you!)......The second half of this video is just me out practicing my work....
Thanks for watching ...... Whoooooo Buddy.
Shug

HTe6-kxY5rI

BlazeAway
01-18-2011, 09:51
Super, super, super.
Just saw your post.
Will watch video now.

kmanclutch
01-18-2011, 10:02
Shug, you're the man. That 5-ball juggling against the wall was sweet! I know this is a hammock forum but how do you do more than three balls? I can handle three with no problem but have never tried more. When I saw the first video of you about hammocks I just thought you were a wierdo who loved hammocks.....then I kept watching and found you are a wierdo who loves hammocks and is really coordinated. :D Thanks for the videos!

Shug
01-18-2011, 10:06
Super, super, super.
Just saw your post.
Will watch video now.
Yeah...... it was an impromptu video!

Shug, you're the man. That 5-ball juggling against the wall was sweet! I know this is a hammock forum but how do you do more than three balls? I can handle three with no problem but have never tried more. When I saw the first video of you about hammocks I just thought you were a wierdo who loved hammocks.....then I kept watching and found you are a wierdo who loves hammocks and is really coordinated. :D Thanks for the videos!
I am a weirdo who loves hammocks!!!!!!
I'll PM you some juggling tips.

BlazeAway
01-18-2011, 10:09
Super, super, super.
Just saw your post.
Will watch video now.

Have nothing to add,
except one more,
Super.

ShadowAlpha
01-18-2011, 10:16
Good experiment! always fun to see how the gear works
and sometimes by using something we already have may add to be a great benefit.

Fun ending to the video :D

Raul Perez
01-18-2011, 10:19
Sweet will watch this tonight after work.

MrTiles
01-18-2011, 10:21
just watched it. As usual, very entertaining. I was gettin' ansy for a new vid...you delivered :)

Running Feather
01-18-2011, 10:32
Great work Shug. Had to put up another pot-o-Joe for this. Always enjoyable to watch a Shug vid in the morning.

TZBrown
01-18-2011, 10:41
The pod looks good Shug.

I only worry about the compression of the down.
Trying to keep at least 5 inches for -10 is a chore.
I have pretty wide shoulders and not a lot of extra room inside a bag when fully zipped.

I have considered making a zip in spacer to add width to the bag, and using only one long tube as baffle to give more space. Pretty easy mod.

The end practice was great. Lots of talent and skill there

I am not so well balanced, in any way :lol:

TZ

Shug
01-18-2011, 10:49
Good experiment! always fun to see how the gear works
and sometimes by using something we already have may add to be a great benefit.

Fun ending to the video :D
Yeah .... just trying to use that good ol' bag!

Sweet will watch this tonight after work.
Ten-four on that.

just watched it. As usual, very entertaining. I was gettin' ansy for a new vid...you delivered :)
Thanks ...... I was antsy to make one but don't want to if I have no muse!

Great work Shug. Had to put up another pot-o-Joe for this. Always enjoyable to watch a Shug vid in the morning.

I am joeing up myself on this end.

The pod looks good Shug.

I only worry about the compression of the down.
Trying to keep at least 5 inches for -10 is a chore.
I have pretty wide shoulders and not a lot of extra room inside a bag when fully zipped.

I have considered making a zip in spacer to add width to the bag, and using only one long tube as baffle to give more space. Pretty easy mod.

The end practice was great. Lots of talent and skill there

I am not so well balanced, in any way :lol:

TZ
I thought about a zip spacer last night ..... if I can match the zippers. I may try it. It felt pretty roomy but only a full night out will tell. Gonna be -15º Thursday ....might try then. 0º tonight. Have a big day of work but may get to hang tonight......
Practice is a curse and necessary evil.:laugh:

sandpiper
01-18-2011, 10:54
Every day above ground and a new Shug video comes out is a good day. :lol:

fourdog
01-18-2011, 10:54
Great video Shug ! If you put your parka in the foot box of the bag around your feet it would seal
the zipper opening so you won't have as much heat loss through it.

I've found if you have an draw string bottom on the bag it seals better.

If you use an xtra long and wide bag you don't have to worry about compressing the down,
TZ and also agree 5" of loft is nessery in -0*F.

fourdog

www.fourdog.com

SoundWitness
01-18-2011, 11:02
Awesome vid, as always, Shug. I have been contemplating experimenting with a pod setup for the Jersey Winter Hang coming up at the end of the month. I have a 0 degree bag that I'm going to modify just for a pod. Should work fine. Thanks for the inspiration......

OutandBack
01-18-2011, 11:08
Thanks for the teaser Shug on your next outing in the Piney Woods to test the DIY Peapod. Here's hoping you can break your personnel best of -26F.

Shug
01-18-2011, 11:11
Great video Shug ! If you put your parka in the foot box of the bag around your feet it would seal
the zipper opening so you won't have as much heat loss through it.

I've found if you have an draw string bottom on the bag it seals better.

If you use an xtra long and wide bag you don't have to worry about compressing the down,
TZ and also agree 5" of loft is nessery in -0*F.

fourdog

www.fourdog.com
There really is not much of an opening in the foot end surprisingly! That jacket is thick and I really would need to widen the bag to get it in there.
Just fooling around ..... will more than likely end up cutting the bag or just getting a pod of some sort. Or making one...... I need a new project.
I hear ya' on the loft .... i have been there. But I am curious as to what this will get me to. Maybe sleep out tonight and see..........

Shug
01-18-2011, 11:12
Every day above ground and a new Shug video comes out is a good day. :lol:
Whooooooo.....thankee!

Awesome vid, as always, Shug. I have been contemplating experimenting with a pod setup for the Jersey Winter Hang coming up at the end of the month. I have a 0 degree bag that I'm going to modify just for a pod. Should work fine. Thanks for the inspiration......
I have a 0º REI bag I am eyeballing.....! Try it out and let us know.

Thanks for the teaser Shug on your next outing in the Piney Woods to test the DIY Peapod. Here's hoping you can break your personnel best of -26F.
I wish too .... if all lines up. Maybe .......

lattie11581
01-18-2011, 11:15
I can't wait to get home and pull up yer video Shug... always waiting with anticipation for your next piece work to pop up on YouTube! !

StumpJumper
01-18-2011, 11:22
You know I opened the video thinking "ehhh I just want to see the peapod experiment, not real excited about the other stuff"...... BOY WAS I WRONG!! Man, that was seriously entertaining!! You've got some real talent!!

Shewie
01-18-2011, 11:31
Looking good Shug

I tried the same thing with an old bag a few years ago but it was just too tight around the leg end and didn't really work too well. Now that looks like a good sized bag and it doesn't look too tight, I think you're onto a winner there my friend.

Ooh you have lots of yellow snow, that's the bad stuff, don't eat it or boil it :)

pizza
01-18-2011, 12:45
Perhaps this will inspire some of our cottage gear makers into producing a new product. ;)I like idea of a zipper on top for the closure in this type of system like the wiggy bag fourdog had at the hang.

Law Dawg (ret)
01-18-2011, 13:00
Dang Shug a twofer! I rate it...:thumbup:

With the pea pod I wonder if it would limit asym lay?

BER
01-18-2011, 13:27
Par excellence, Master Shug! As usual a mix of useful information, ideas and entertainment.

Agree with pizza. Would like to see a Pod with a zipper. Had a Speer PP and eventually sold it, in part because that long length of velcro drove me crazy.

fourdog
01-18-2011, 13:46

If the pod system xtra long and 36" wide not a problem

Par excellence, Master Shug!

Agree with pizza. Would like to see a Pod with a zipper. Had a Speer PP and eventually sold it, in part because that long length of velcro drove me crazy.

I have one and don't like the fiddle factor with the velcro. I already over stuffed it with down. Will add a three way zipper and a zipper baffel to make a
realy good system great.
(I always change every thing I get).

fourdog

www.fourdog.com

Fronkey
01-18-2011, 14:15
When the video started I was looking around the sides and top just waiting for you to jump in the frame. Then when you popped out of the pea pod I almost spilled my cocoa I was laughing so hard. Great video as always. I especially liked watching you practice your gift. Keep em comin' Mr. Shug.

Fronkey

AScott
01-18-2011, 14:46
Great video, Shug. I've been looking at a pod system to try for next year (when I am more comfortable with hammock camping). This gives me another boost in that direction.

And once again, love the extra stuff. I hope my family can catch your performance at the State Fair next summer. My kids love the videos of your talent.

SteelerNation
01-18-2011, 14:52
Great video!

I was also wondering whether or not the pod effected your ability to lay Asym.

Thanks for keeping it exciting!:laugh:

SN (aka Duane)

Hawk-eye
01-18-2011, 17:14
Looking forward to catching this video next week pal ... and for the record ... you're not a weirdo ... you just "ain't right" ... and where us Gorge Rats are concerned ... that's a badge of honor! :woot:

Cogola
01-18-2011, 17:29
......The second half of this video is just me out practicing my work....

Well for practice it's mighty entertaining. If you're ever stuck for video material more 'practice' would keep us Shugaholics going. :thumbup:

BillyBob58
01-18-2011, 17:35
I actually like the Pod's Velcro. I Velcro closed on the ends, get in, lay straight, pull real tight and touch together on one end, then the other. Then close up the final area near my head and get diagonal. It is all real quick ( after lots of practice), and no zipper to hang up. And best of all, I can be out of that thing in a millisecond.

But, the wider the hammock and the more stuff (quilts) you put in there with you, the harder it is to manage the Velcro and get it closed and keep it closed. (And heaven knows you guys had enough stuff in there!) For example, with a Warbonnet blackbird, because of the netting and shelf area, it can be a real booger bear to get it closed. Not easy even before you start adding very much extra insulation. But very easy to close using the narrow Claytor no net hammock, even after you start adding some stuff in there. And I've often thought a couple of snaps installed a couple of feet in from the ends would be real handy in keeping it closed in the area where you don't really ever need it to be open. That way only the middle would be open as you got in and out.

Hawk-eye
01-18-2011, 17:39
SHUG'STER ... THANK YOU for linking me past the PRC so I could watch the video this morning!!! LOVED IT! Fun seeing you on the big boy uni! :woot:

You ... as always pal ... are da man! BIG OLD THUMBS UP!

Poppabear
01-18-2011, 17:41
You are a true gem Shug! You have taken a otherwise dreary day and brightened it up. Thanks!

Walking Bear
01-18-2011, 17:52
Great video as always. I have an old Wiggins bag that my son had for a Boy Scout trip that might make a good pod. However, I'm sure it would not fit around my bridge.:rolleyes: Still fun to watch and enjoy your work.

Shug
01-18-2011, 18:05
I can't wait to get home and pull up yer video Shug... always waiting with anticipation for your next piece work to pop up on YouTube! !
:thumbup:

You know I opened the video thinking "ehhh I just want to see the peapod experiment, not real excited about the other stuff"...... BOY WAS I WRONG!! Man, that was seriously entertaining!! You've got some real talent!!
Story of my life!!!!!:laugh: 'Preciated.

Looking good Shug

I tried the same thing with an old bag a few years ago but it was just too tight around the leg end and didn't really work too well. Now that looks like a good sized bag and it doesn't look too tight, I think you're onto a winner there my friend.

Ooh you have lots of yellow snow, that's the bad stuff, don't eat it or boil it :)
That bag is a wider mummy cut. We will see how it works out.... that snow did look yellow from the lights!!!!

Perhaps this will inspire some of our cottage gear makers into producing a new product. ;)I like idea of a zipper on top for the closure in this type of system like the wiggy bag fourdog had at the hang.
I can't believe I am podding ....always avoided it.

Dang Shug a twofer! I rate it...:thumbup:

I seemed a bit off the diagonal but it was OK.......

Par excellence, Master Shug! As usual a mix of useful information, ideas and entertainment.
I may add a zipper insert like Fourdog mentioned.

If the pod system xtra long and 36" wide not a problem
I have one and don't like the fiddle factor with the velcro. I already over stuffed it with down. Will add a three way zipper and a zipper baffel to make a
realy good system great.
(I always change every thing I get).
fourdog
www.fourdog.com
Three way zipper would be the perfect world.

When the video started I was looking around the sides and top just waiting for you to jump in the frame. Then when you popped out of the pea pod I almost spilled my cocoa I was laughing so hard. Great video as always. I especially liked watching you practice your gift. Keep em comin' Mr. Shug.
Fronkey
It was so nice hiding in there!!!!
Thanks on the practice.

Great video, Shug. I've been looking at a pod system to try for next year (when I am more comfortable with hammock camping). This gives me another boost in that direction.
And once again, love the extra stuff. I hope my family can catch your performance at the State Fair next summer. My kids love the videos of your talent.
Certainly fun to goof with. Just gotta be trying something old and new at the same time.
I'll be there at the Fair.

Great video!
I was also wondering whether or not the pod effected your ability to lay Asym.
Thanks for keeping it exciting!:laugh:
SN (aka Duane)
I was not a asym .... but it was not bad. Tell ya' more after a whole night.

Looking forward to catching this video next week pal ... and for the record ... you're not a weirdo ... you just "ain't right" ... and where us Gorge Rats are concerned ... that's a badge of honor! :woot:
I ain't....and I am!!!!!

Well for practice it's mighty entertaining. If you're ever stuck for video material more 'practice' would keep us Shugaholics going. :thumbup:
Was not gonna put it on .... but my showman/show-off side ruled out!!!!!

I actually like the Pod's Velcro. I Velcro closed on the ends, get in, lay straight, pull real tight and touch together on one end, then the other. Then close up the final area near my head and get diagonal. It is all real quick ( after lots of practice), and no zipper to hang up. And best of all, I can be out of that thing in a millisecond.

But, the wider the hammock and the more stuff (quilts) you put in there with you, the harder it is to manage the Velcro and get it closed and keep it closed. (And heaven knows you guys had enough stuff in there!) For example, with a Warbonnet blackbird, because of the netting and shelf area, it can be a real booger bear to get it closed. Not easy even before you start adding very much extra insulation. But very easy to close using the narrow Claytor no net hammock, even after you start adding some stuff in there. And I've often thought a couple of snaps installed a couple of feet in from the ends would be real handy in keeping it closed in the area where you don't really ever need it to be open. That way only the middle would be open as you got in and out.
I know you are a huge Pod Proponent ...... now I am tripping down Pod Place.

SHUG'STER ... THANK YOU for linking me past the PRC so I could watch the video this morning!!! LOVED IT! Fun seeing you on the big boy uni! :woot:
You ... as always pal ... are da man! BIG OLD THUMBS UP!
I know it kills ya' to not see all the videos over there...... happy to hook you up.

You are a true gem Shug! You have taken a otherwise dreary day and brightened it up. Thanks!
Best comment of all!!!!

Great video as always. I have an old Wiggins bag that my son had for a Boy Scout trip that might make a good pod. However, I'm sure it would not fit around my bridge.:rolleyes: Still fun to watch and enjoy your work.
The BridgePod ....... there is a project!!!!!

MacEntyre
01-18-2011, 18:14
I have considered making a zip in spacer to add width to the bag...
I'm going to try something like that this weekend at Mt Rogers... I'll use my Speer Hammock Bugnet to add a 20" wide closure over the Snugfit, making it a Pod-of-Sorts. The Bugnet will close things up a little, and keep the Speer Top Blanket snug on top of me. :thumbup:

I could even tack another Speer Top Blanket on top of the Bugnet! :cool:

Shug, I'm impressed that you can spin a ball and balance it on a stick in your mouth... but on that rolling board! You're nuts!

BillyBob58
01-18-2011, 20:52
I know you are a huge Pod Proponent ...... now I am tripping down Pod Place.
That I am! Pod Place is a beautiful neighborhood. With the Speer version, I am particularly fond of the head/neck/shoulder protection. I can often get by without even a hat, depending on temps of course. However, I am also a huge bridge proponent. So....... conflict!

The BridgePod ....... there is a project!!!!!

Sure is. But I must admit, if I can't have a pod, the custom fit and beyond head to toe coverage obtained with the custom fit of a JRB MW4 on a JRB bridge is mighty sweet. In fact, I have been hanging a bit over the last 2 days in just that combo. It shares with the pod approach ( but for bottom coverage only of course) an impossibility of moving onto an uninsulated area.

Shug
01-18-2011, 20:56
I'm going to try something like that this weekend at Mt Rogers... I'll use my Speer Hammock Bugnet to add a 20" wide closure over the Snugfit, making it a Pod-of-Sorts. The Bugnet will close things up a little, and keep the Speer Top Blanket snug on top of me. :thumbup:

I could even tack another Speer Top Blanket on top of the Bugnet! :cool:

Shug, I'm impressed that you can spin a ball and balance it on a stick in your mouth... but on that rolling board! You're nuts!
Please video that!!!!
Thanks MacEntyre.

That I am! Pod Place is a beautiful neighborhood. With the Speer version, I am particularly fond of the head/neck/shoulder protection. I can often get by without even a hat, depending on temps of course. However, I am also a huge bridge proponent. So....... conflict!
Sure is. But I must admit, if I can't have a pod, the custom fit and beyond head to toe coverage obtained with the custom fit of a JRB MW4 on a JRB bridge is mighty sweet. In fact, I have been hanging a bit over the last 2 days in just that combo. It shares with the pod approach ( but for bottom coverage only of course) an impossibility of moving onto an uninsulated area.

I will try and keep the neighborhood wonderful. Thanks for the info.

Shug
01-19-2011, 09:30
Just up and in and on the coffee.....
Got down to 1º last night. I crawled in around 10:45. I was wearing 2 pair of socks...an REI merino pair and a thicker traditional wool pair. Polypro johns and a thin pair of fleece tights. A poly shirt, thin fleece shirt, a sport fleece orange shirt and my MontBell inner down vest with half sleeve. A balaclava, BlackRock hat and a down hood.

Very happy ..... no cold butt what so ever!!!! Had very minimal condensation on the pod and none on the HG summer insert. The fleece frost-bib caught it all.

When I rose to write my name in the snow I was almost too hot. Should have taken off the fleece pants. A touch of frost in the pod right over my thighs as I was sweating a bit.

Feet started getting a bit chilly this morn around 6AM ....I pulled my down jacket over them and all was good. From now on I will add back my small Thermarest sit pad into my TQ footbox.

I was comfy .... not quite on my usual asym lay and did not feel restricted.
I am very happy with the warm buttocks!!!!!!

Shug the Snug

fourdog
01-19-2011, 09:34
I think we may have an convert !
Thanks for the review.

fourdog

www.fourdog.com

MacEntyre
01-19-2011, 09:46
Great report, Shug! You are fortunate to have those temps right there in your backyard for testing. :thumbup:

I'm keen on avoiding overheating, and that's probably why I rarely get any condensation, other than from breathing. I under dress my torso, and over dress my legs and feet. :cool:

You don't have to sacrifice the asym lie completely with a Pod. As your video showed, you end up sleeping like Thomas Jefferson, bent at the waist but each half flat. :rolleyes:

Thing1 and I are anxious for the next 48 hours to be past, so we can put on our snowshoes and pull our pulk full of pods down the path and into the piney woods at Mt Rogers! :laugh:

Jsaults
01-19-2011, 09:46
Q1: Do pod users (or sleeping bag pod people) tend to be back sleepers? Seems to me that side sleeping whoud complicate the system - maybe require a pod/bag with greater circumference.

Q2: "Summer insert"? I have a Crrowsnest and a 3S Burrow, but I am not familiar with an "insert". Is this just a Summer Burrow, or does Hammock Gear have a prototyps device in testing?

Q3: There is NO question 3. At this time, that is.

Jim
Inquiring minds want to know!

Ewker
01-19-2011, 09:48
kind of funny about the peapod experiment. Last weekend I took hamhocker out and we tried an old Speer peapod on the hammock (treklight double) she slept in. It was tight when wrapped around her. Almost to the point of not being able to velcro it shut but we managed. Wish I had taken a picture of her in it. She had a 3/4 UQ on the bottom and my Marmot bag opened up as a TQ. I may try it on a different hammock and see how well it works

MacEntyre
01-19-2011, 09:51
Q1: Do pod users (or sleeping bag pod people) tend to be back sleepers? Seems to me that side sleeping whoud complicate the system - maybe require a pod/bag with greater circumference.
You are correct! The PolarPod accommodates side sleepers better. It's wider and longer.

I'll leave Q2 to those in the know...

Shug
01-19-2011, 10:11
I think we may have an convert !
Thanks for the review.
fourdog
www.fourdog.com
Thanks for the inspiration...... convert I may be.

Great report, Shug! You are fortunate to have those temps right there in your backyard for testing. :thumbup:

I'm keen on avoiding overheating, and that's probably why I rarely get any condensation, other than from breathing. I under dress my torso, and over dress my legs and feet. :cool:

You don't have to sacrifice the asym lie completely with a Pod. As your video showed, you end up sleeping like Thomas Jefferson, bent at the waist but each half flat. :rolleyes:

Thing1 and I are anxious for the next 48 hours to be past, so we can put on our snowshoes and pull our pulk full of pods down the path and into the piney woods at Mt Rogers! :laugh:
Ya'll have fun there.
I could have used less from knees to waist last night.

Q2: "Summer insert"? I have a Crrowsnest and a 3S Burrow, but I am not familiar with an "insert". Is this just a Summer Burrow, or does Hammock Gear have a prototyps device in testing?

Q3: There is NO question 3. At this time, that is.

Jim
I call it a winter insert ... it is a slightly modified summer TQ. Different footbox. I don't summer camp much so it is an insert that I plan to insert into my Warbonnet 0º Black Mamba to get down to real nice sub 0ºs

Shug
01-19-2011, 10:12
kind of funny about the peapod experiment. Last weekend I took hamhocker out and we tried an old Speer peapod on the hammock (treklight double) she slept in. It was tight when wrapped around her. Almost to the point of not being able to velcro it shut but we managed. Wish I had taken a picture of her in it. She had a 3/4 UQ on the bottom and my Marmot bag opened up as a TQ. I may try it on a different hammock and see how well it works
Like the 1970s .... all thing cycle around.
Let us know how it shakes out for you.....

Raul Perez
01-19-2011, 10:13
got to watch it this morning. Pretty cool stuff there Shug. It's a shame Speer got rid of some of hammockforum's favorite gear.

Seems like a lot to carry I assume that's for the pulk sled correct?

Shug
01-19-2011, 10:13
got to watch it this morning. Pretty cool stuff there Shug. It's a shame Speer got rid of some of hammockforum's favorite gear.

Seems like a lot to carry I assume that's for the pulk sled correct?
It is a pulk item for sure!

MacEntyre
01-19-2011, 10:17
It's a shame Speer got rid of some of hammockforum's favorite gear.
:confused:

Speer PeaPod (http://stores.tttrailgear.com/-strse-14/peapod-down-filled-hammock/Detail.bok)

Speer PolarPod (http://stores.tttrailgear.com/-strse-32/Speer-PolarPod/Detail.bok)

Still available! Ed just doesn't inject thread anymore.

lazy river road
01-19-2011, 10:21
Awesome DIY of the Pea Pod. Do you still feel while laying in the Pea Pod that you can still lay ASYM to get that flat lay, or do you have to lay more in line with the hammock because the Pod is constricting. That has always been my ? / concern with the pod.

Shug
01-19-2011, 10:23
Awesome DIY of the Pea Pod. Do you still feel while laying in the Pea Pod that you can still lay ASYM to get that flat lay, or do you have to lay more in line with the hammock because the Pod is constricting. That has always been my ? / concern with the pod.
Just a little less of an asym but still asym. If the bag/pod was wider I could get more asym.
Did I type asym enough?
I was very comfortable last night .... like Temple Grandin.
Shug

Raul Perez
01-19-2011, 10:29
:confused:

Speer PeaPod (http://stores.tttrailgear.com/-strse-14/peapod-down-filled-hammock/Detail.bok)

Speer PolarPod (http://stores.tttrailgear.com/-strse-32/Speer-PolarPod/Detail.bok)

Still available! Ed just doesn't inject thread anymore.

Oh sorry I thought the speer peapod was discontinued just as the winter tarp... I think I may have been confused with the SPE

fourdog
01-19-2011, 10:30
I was very comfortable last night .... like Temple Grandin.
Shug

So thats why I like peapods in winter so much ?
My own squeeze chute !

fourdog

www.fourdog.com

BillyBob58
01-19-2011, 11:20
Just up and in and on the coffee.....
Got down to 1º last night. ................

Very happy ..... no cold butt what so ever!!!! Had very minimal condensation on the pod and none on the HG summer insert. The fleece frost-bib caught it all..........When I rose to write my name in the snow I was almost too hot...........
I was comfy .... not quite on my usual asym lay and did not feel restricted.
I am very happy with the warm buttocks!!!!!!

Shug the Snug
Most impressive indeed, Shug! Toasty at 1° on the very first try pod style! How 'Ya gonna beat it? I'm still amazed you have enough room in there, that WM sleeping bag must be fairly wide. Then again you're not exactly extra-wide. I can only figure that if you are that comfortable at 1°, you could have gotten by it may be five or 10 below, or at a minimum a few degrees lower than last night. So what is the temperature rating on your Franken quilt?

Q1: Do pod users (or sleeping bag pod people) tend to be back sleepers? Seems to me that side sleeping whoud complicate the system - maybe require a pod/bag with greater circumference..................................... ..
Jim
Depends on how much extra you have in the pod with you, the hammock and the hammock width or depth. In my Speer hammock (a fairly wide/deep hammock) I am only able to be comfortable on my side if I am in pretty much full fetal position, with or without the pod. And if I try to get an full fetal position in the Speer, I usually don't have enough room if using the Peapod. I am either compressing the down on the sides, or even popping the pod open. So for me, Speer hammock plus Speer Peapod pretty much means back sleeping. At the other extreme, using my Claytor no net which is neither wide nor deep, I can lay on my side either with legs straight (and usually be comfortable enough) or in full fetal, and have plenty of room. I've slept that way more than one cold night, with the pod rotated so that I have a tiny breathing vent just an inch or less from my mouth, out to the side. My head, neck and shoulders have several inches of down loft laying right down on them. As does pretty much the rest of my body. Super warm and comfy.

Ewker, just curious, was she warm? A marmot sleeping bag (as opposed to just a top quilt) would be fairly big, combined with the under quilt and how thick it might be, and most of all depending on what hammock was being used, things might get pretty dang tight allright. I can see where it might be difficult to close.

At least when using the Speer Peapod, I have always been able to lay fully diagonal without any problem at all. But this might vary if trying to use it with a huge hammock, though I think the main problem even there would just be getting the pod closed. Can't speak for DIY or bag/pod approaches.

whayneneal
01-19-2011, 12:19
Thanks for making me smile, Shug. I get too claustrophobic for the pod. I'll stick with my quilts.

Hawk-eye
01-19-2011, 12:33
Well Shug ... just to let you know that Chip (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ralloh/5370560736/in/set-72157625663776083/) (carved by our own Kenneth Crump) loved the video! ;)
Seen here before we left Haining for Anji. He would have given it a big thumbs up ... but he's had a problem getting his hands out of his pockets on this trip! ;)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5282/5370560736_0ddc046326.jpg

Shug
01-19-2011, 12:43
So thats why I like peapods in winter so much ?
My own squeeze chute !
fourdog
www.fourdog.com
I was thinking that all last night!!!

Most impressive indeed, Shug! Toasty at 1° on the very first try pod style! How 'Ya gonna beat it? I'm still amazed you have enough room in there, that WM sleeping bag must be fairly wide. Then again you're not exactly extra-wide. I can only figure that if you are that comfortable at 1°, you could have gotten by it may be five or 10 below, or at a minimum a few degrees lower than last night. So what is the temperature rating on your Franken quilt?

Thankee BB. Frankenquilt is good to around 30º to 25º.

Thanks for making me smile, Shug. I get too claustrophobic for the pod. I'll stick with my quilts.
Yeah...... I am just testing this as a need a fun thing to do...... not for the claustrophobic the pod.

Well Shug ... just to let you know that Chip (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ralloh/5370560736/in/set-72157625663776083/) (carved by our own Kenneth Crump) loved the video! ;)
Seen here before we left Haining for Anji. He would have given it a big thumbs up ... but he's had a problem getting his hands out of his pockets on this trip! ;)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5282/5370560736_0ddc046326.jpg
Now THAT made my day.... I love lil' Chip. Ken has some talent there....

Ewker
01-19-2011, 13:14
Ewker, just curious, was she warm? A marmot sleeping bag (as opposed to just a top quilt) would be fairly big, combined with the under quilt and how thick it might be, and most of all depending on what hammock was being used, things might get pretty dang tight allright. I can see where it might be difficult to close.

BillyBob, my Marmot sleeping bag stuffs down smaller than any quilt we have and is smaller than the one top quilt we have. It is one of the old 900 fill Helium bags. Yes she was very warm in it. She didn't like it being totally enclosed in it though. This is the peapod that we had talked about in the past.
I did forget that she had a SPE in the hammock also. She is always cold so I wanted to make sure she didn't get cold since this was the 1st time for her in a hammock ever!!! If we skip the SPE next time it may work better

MrClean417
01-19-2011, 14:01
Great vid Shug. Warm at 19 degrees, wowsers. It's nice to know how but I think I'll just stay in the house. It doesn't get that cold here that often, though its a blazin 15 today.

Isn't there a beginners guide to juggling on youtube somewhere? If there isn't it's probably because you haven't made it yet. Got a kid down the street that does the Unicycle thing.

Crash
01-19-2011, 14:36
The jacket over the foot end of the pod was a great tip. Last trip at 23 degrees my feet got cold.

Thanx!

Shug
01-19-2011, 14:50
Here is a picture of where the hammock comes out of the sleeping bag .... no gap at all.
And some shots of the Frost-Bib and the condensation it caught last night.
I got NO Condensation on my TQ or Pod by my mouth!!!!:thumbup:

Foot end....
http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad127/Shug7secure/IMG_2259.jpg

Frost-Bib front...http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad127/Shug7secure/IMG_2271.jpg

Frost Bib back....
http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad127/Shug7secure/IMG_2272.jpg

Close up front...
http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad127/Shug7secure/IMG_2273.jpg

Shug
01-19-2011, 14:56
Great vid Shug. Warm at 19 degrees, wowsers. It's nice to know how but I think I'll just stay in the house. It doesn't get that cold here that often, though its a blazin 15 today.

Isn't there a beginners guide to juggling on youtube somewhere? If there isn't it's probably because you haven't made it yet. Got a kid down the street that does the Unicycle thing.
No ..... not 19º ..... 1º !!!!! And Warm was I.
There are a ton of juggling YTs .......

The jacket over the foot end of the pod was a great tip. Last trip at 23 degrees my feet got cold.

Thanx!
I used to do it as well ground camping..... with down vest or rain jacket. Not my idea though ....read it somewhere....

Shug
01-19-2011, 15:19
Here is a picture of where the hammock comes out of the sleeping bag .... no gap at all.
And some shots of the Frost-Bib and the condensation it caught last night.
I got NO Condensation on my TQ or Pod by my mouth!!!!:thumbup:

Foot end....
http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad127/Shug7secure/IMG_2259.jpg

Frost-Bib front...http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad127/Shug7secure/IMG_2271.jpg

Frost Bib back....
http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad127/Shug7secure/IMG_2272.jpg

Close up front...
http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad127/Shug7secure/IMG_2273.jpg

SkyPainter
01-19-2011, 16:42
Looking good Shug

===> Yeah, I had an old bag, too, but I divorced her. the new bag won't come hammocking with me (yet!). :lol:

Clerk: "Would you like a bag, Sir?"
Me: "No thanks! I married one!"
Wife: "SMACK!" upside the head! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

pizza
01-19-2011, 17:46
Nice review Shug. I've said it before but it would be nice if TTTG could modify the PeaPod or one of the other vendors could make a similar offering to have a zipper enclosure on top rather than the velcro. I'd be interested in something like that for the 0 degree and lower range. I know the velcro enclosure works but the zipper just seems like less hassle. Anyone know if there any down bags out there that are wider that could be made to work like Shug rigged his?

Shug
01-19-2011, 17:57
Nice review Shug. I've said it before but it would be nice if TTTG could modify the PeaPod or one of the other vendors could make a similar offering to have a zipper enclosure on top rather than the velcro. I'd be interested in something like that for the 0 degree and lower range. I know the velcro enclosure works but the zipper just seems like less hassle. Anyone know if there any down bags out there that are wider that could be made to work like Shug rigged his?

This is the one I have pizza .... pretty darn good. Closed it today with WB Black Mamba, Winter Yeti and FrankenQuilt around my feet!!!
http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=products&page=sleeping%20bags&cat=ExtremeLite%20Series&ContentId=28

pizza
01-19-2011, 18:04
This is the one I have pizza .... pretty darn good. Closed it today with WB Black Mamba, Winter Yeti and FrankenQuilt around my feet!!!
http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=products&page=sleeping%20bags&cat=ExtremeLite%20Series&ContentId=28
Nice bag. What kind of down does WM use in it? Is it conservatively rated? Seems like with 5" of loft it would be rated lower than 20F?

Shug
01-19-2011, 18:07
Nice bag. What kind of down does WM use in it? Is it conservatively rated? Seems like with 5" of loft it would be rated lower than 20F?
850 Down .... loft counts top and bottom so pretty good for a pod. So it seems so far!
When I used for ground camping 20º seemed fairly accurate.
Shug

fourdog
01-19-2011, 18:07

Exped Dreamwalker 650 large, if you want to try one let me know I have one
you can see how it works.

fourdog

www.fourdog.com

BillyBob58
01-19-2011, 21:22
Shug, what did you make that bib out of, just a piece of fleece? How quick is it to dry out the next day and be ready for the next nights use?

BillyBob58
01-19-2011, 21:24

Pizza, that is 5" total loft, top and bottom, and that would usually be a 20 rating. Actually, same loft and temp rating as the Speer PeaPod 20 model.

Shug
01-19-2011, 21:25
Shug, what did you make that bib out of, just a piece of fleece? How quick is it to dry out the next day and be ready for the next nights use?
Just a piece of fleece .... take it and stick it in your pocket and out will dry out!
Cool, huh????
Shug

OutandBack
01-19-2011, 21:28
Luv the "shug frost bib" idea.

HWS
01-19-2011, 22:42
Great vid Shug as always, your approach for trying new ideas and having fun with it is truly inspirational. Many HF members including myself appreciate your entertainment and sharing your trials by fire, in this case snow and ice.

Working hard at getting my hammock gear slowly together, so I can share in having a little bit of the fun and enjoyment of hammocking as the Shugemerry.

Just a tip: Your 5-ball juggling against the wall routine isn’t bad. I usually do 9 balls, can do 10 but 9 balls looks better to the audience. :)

BTW: It’s about time you re-surfaced Shug. Thought you might have gone back to ground dwelling!

P.S. This is a test of the “Emergency Down Pod System”. HILLARIOUS

Thanks for Sharing!!!

Shug
01-19-2011, 23:03
Luv the "shug frost bib" idea.
I have a pasta bib in the house!
The frost-bib did work!!!

Great vid Shug as always, your approach for trying new ideas and having fun with it is truly inspirational. Many HF members including myself appreciate your entertainment and sharing your trials by fire, in this case snow and ice.

Working hard at getting my hammock gear slowly together, so I can share in having a little bit of the fun and enjoyment of hammocking as the Shugemerry.

Just a tip: Your 5-ball juggling against the wall routine isn’t bad. I usually do 9 balls, can do 10 but 9 balls looks better to the audience. :)

BTW: It’s about time you re-surfaced Shug. Thought you might have gone back to ground dwelling!

P.S. This is a test of the “Emergency Down Pod System”. HILLARIOUS

Thanks for Sharing!!!
Thanks for that
Yeah .... odd numbers are always preferred by the crowds!!!
Wa I gone???
Keep on getting that hammock gear going........
Carry On!!!
Shug

tbone
01-19-2011, 23:04
Cool video , I really dig the wall bouncing, I don`t juggle but watching that I decided I want to do that wall bouncing . It looks like it would be good for training the mind as well as reflexes. When I walk on the treadmill I like to bounce a medicine ball on the floor on either side of the treadmill , I do it more for the effect of training my mind to multi-task than for the physical benefits . I wonder how many years it would take to be able to do the wall bouncing like that while walking the treadmill. Thanks for the inspiration.

Triggerhpy
01-20-2011, 00:34
Those of us with extra gerth may not have the wiggle room that some of the slimer hangers. A very good idea. But I would need an EXTRA wide bag from the sholders to the knees.

Shug
01-20-2011, 00:41
Cool video , I really dig the wall bouncing, I don`t juggle but watching that I decided I want to do that wall bouncing . It looks like it would be good for training the mind as well as reflexes. When I walk on the treadmill I like to bounce a medicine ball on the floor on either side of the treadmill , I do it more for the effect of training my mind to multi-task than for the physical benefits . I wonder how many years it would take to be able to do the wall bouncing like that while walking the treadmill. Thanks for the inspiration.
Tough with medicine balls!
Believe me ... it all takes practice....... the curse.

Those of us with extra gerth may not have the wiggle room that some of the slimer hangers. A very good idea. But I would need an EXTRA wide bag from the sholders to the knees.
Maybe a rectangle gag would work.......
H-m-m-m-m-m-m. A wee bit of a mod to make it work. They say the Speer Pea-Pod is roomy though.

OutandBack
01-20-2011, 12:39

For those who need more wiggle room. You would just need to use a semi rec bag instead of a mummy.
One like this:

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/gallery/small/westerntmn-39_SM.jpg

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=Microfiber%20Series&ContentId=39

BillyBob58
01-20-2011, 14:09

That bag of Shug's is 64 inches girth (65 for size long), which is pretty big compared to most mummy bags. But I agree with you that most of us would probably need a wider bag than Shug might, since he appears to be fairly on the lean and mean side. Of course there are some extrawide bags out there that would work pretty well for this purpose. In fact, I see some of the same Brand that are 67- 69 inches wide!

Comparatively, a Peapod is 72 inches at the widest point, though much more narrow than that on the ends. Also it's 9 foot length allows you to close it off pretty close to the end with most hammocks, without stretching it too tight and reducing internal room. Even beyond the ends on the Claytor expedition. but once you get serious about stuffing other insulation in there with you – and if you're pretty big boy – then the Polar Pod ought to get the job done. With this extra 1.5 feet of length and width! If I have the specs right, 90 inches of girth! That should swallow everybody and their hammock and some extra insulation, other than maybe a bridge hammock. (actually, I just got up and went outside and measured on my bridge hammock: 77 inches circumference around the outside of the hammock meeting in the middle (need a couple of inches more to cover the spreader bars). 73 inches around the middle including going around my under quilt, though I pulled it tight enough to compress most of the down. So it looks like something of about the size of the Polar Pod might even be somewhat usable with a JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock!

Shug
01-20-2011, 19:28
For those who need more wiggle room. You would just need to use a semi rec bag instead of a mummy.
One like this:

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/gallery/small/westerntmn-39_SM.jpg

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=Microfiber%20Series&ContentId=39
That would work!

That bag of Shug's is 64 inches girth (65 for size long), which is pretty big compared to most mummy bags. But I agree with you that most of us would probably need a wider bag than Shug might, since he appears to be fairly on the lean and mean side. Of course there are some extrawide bags out there that would work pretty well for this purpose. In fact, I see some of the same Brand that are 67- 69 inches wide!

Comparatively, a Peapod is 72 inches at the widest point, though much more narrow than that on the ends. Also it's 9 foot length allows you to close it off pretty close to the end with most hammocks, without stretching it too tight and reducing internal room. Even beyond the ends on the Claytor expedition. but once you get serious about stuffing other insulation in there with you – and if you're pretty big boy – then the Polar Pod ought to get the job done. With this extra 1.5 feet of length and width! If I have the specs right, 90 inches of girth! That should swallow everybody and their hammock and some extra insulation, other than maybe a bridge hammock. (actually, I just got up and went outside and measured on my bridge hammock: 77 inches circumference around the outside of the hammock meeting in the middle (need a couple of inches more to cover the spreader bars). 73 inches around the middle including going around my under quilt, though I pulled it tight enough to compress most of the down. So it looks like something of about the size of the Polar Pod might even be somewhat usable with a JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock!
Interesting stuff there BillyBob. I put my Warbonnet winter Yeti and Black Mamba in for tonight .... -17º. Still feel like I am not terribly compressed. Sounds like the PeaPod is roomy for those that like to bend their legs.

lonetracker
01-20-2011, 20:53
lookin good shug.i,also inspired by fourdog,did some testing along these same lines.i cut a hole in the foot of my -20 deg synthetic bag.then resewed the insulation back in.i added a drawstring to close up the new hole and a sleeve of about a foot long then another drawstring.the bag is normal length so i reasoned i would not be able to close the drawstring tight as it would not be near the end of the hammock.so i put the extension on so i could put a sweater or something in it to close off the hole better then use the other drawstring to keep that in place.that worked good. i hung the sleeping bag upside down then tucked the hood in by my chest.i added two grossgrain loops one on either side off the neck opening and hung it like a underquilt at the front so it would not fall off when unzipped. i worried the insulation on my chest area would get compressed due to the bags weight so i added a grossgrain loop there and attached it to the ridgeline using some shockcord and a mitten hook.hope that makes sense.
i slept in this a few weeks ago,it got down to 4degf woke up to the start of a blizzard.useing my clark and small clark tarp.i was wearing light poly long undewear top and bottom,wool sweater,wool hat and fleece baclava.no socks,no aditional blankets or underquilts.was toasty warm.i like to curl up though and was unable to do so without my knees getting chilled from compressing the insulation were they touched.so if i get a bigger bag i will use this system for sure.need more room.
thanks for the vid.
bill

Shug
01-20-2011, 21:02
lookin good shug.i,also inspired by fourdog,did some testing along these same lines.i cut a hole in the foot of my -20 deg synthetic bag.then resewed the insulation back in.i added a drawstring to close up the new hole and a sleeve of about a foot long then another drawstring.the bag is normal length so i reasoned i would not be able to close the drawstring tight as it would not be near the end of the hammock.so i put the extension on so i could put a sweater or something in it to close off the hole better then use the other drawstring to keep that in place.that worked good. i hung the sleeping bag upside down then tucked the hood in by my chest.i added two grossgrain loops one on either side off the neck opening and hung it like a underquilt at the front so it would not fall off when unzipped. i worried the insulation on my chest area would get compressed due to the bags weight so i added a grossgrain loop there and attached it to the ridgeline using some shockcord and a mitten hook.hope that makes sense.
i slept in this a few weeks ago,it got down to 4degf woke up to the start of a blizzard.useing my clark and small clark tarp.i was wearing light poly long undewear top and bottom,wool sweater,wool hat and fleece baclava.no socks,no aditional blankets or underquilts.was toasty warm.i like to curl up though and was unable to do so without my knees getting chilled from compressing the insulation were they touched.so if i get a bigger bag i will use this system for sure.need more room.
thanks for the vid.
bill
I just knew that you would be modding something after that hang. Sound like a very good workable pod now.
I am heading into the back 40 in a bit to sleep in the pod. Supposed to get to -17º tonight and is windy. I added the winter yeti and TQ.....
Gonna be a fun trial!
Shug

fourdog
01-20-2011, 22:00
I just knew that you would be modding something after that hang. Sound like a very good workable pod now.
I am heading into the back 40 in a bit to sleep in the pod. Supposed to get to -17º tonight and is windy. I added the winter yeti and TQ.....
Gonna be a fun trial!
Shug

I'm headed out, the wind will be a added bonus !

fourdog

www.fourdog.com

Shug
01-20-2011, 22:08
I'm headed out, the wind will be a added bonus !
fourdog
www.fourdog.com
Have a snug night fourdog .... I am right behind ya'!!!!!
-5º here right now and windy too.
I just are candy!
Shug

questtrek
01-20-2011, 22:51
Outstanding stuff there Shug ... Awesome test and great second half. I can see why you stay so motivated, great stuff ... How do you do that?

Wags
01-21-2011, 01:10
entertaining and educating shug. the 2 keys to teaching :D what jacket were you wearing in the vid?

Cogola
01-21-2011, 05:05
-5º here right now and windy too.

Them's crazy temperatures!
I remember being camped out when Perth had its coldest night on record a while back when it got to 0 and thats C not F. That records now been trumped with the lowest on record now being the positively freezing -0.6C. :laugh:

Shug
01-21-2011, 11:27
Outstanding stuff there Shug ... Awesome test and great second half. I can see why you stay so motivated, great stuff ... How do you do that?
Staying motivated?..... it is always a daily challenge. I get up ... coffee up...and move forward.

entertaining and educating shug. the 2 keys to teaching :D what jacket were you wearing in the vid?
It is a GoLite jacket my wife bought for me. 800 fill down and lots of good features.

Them's crazy temperatures!
I remember being camped out when Perth had its coldest night on record a while back when it got to 0 and thats C not F. That records now been trumped with the lowest on record now being the positively freezing -0.6C. :laugh:
Are winters harsh down there? I slept in -18ºF last night ....video soon, of course.
I would love to see Perth. I have been to the East Coast of Australia but Perth os a long ways away...

adkmcmahon
01-21-2011, 12:22
Perused Pod Practice Performance, particularly pleased pal perservered pleasantly.

Cogola
01-22-2011, 08:23
Are winters harsh down there?

You wouldn't believe how harsh the winters can be. If you don't believe me just read the headlines :D
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/06/25/2936696.htm

Shug
01-22-2011, 10:18
Perused Pod Practice Performance, particularly pleased pal perservered pleasantly.
Perfectly placed palaver!

You wouldn't believe how harsh the winters can be. If you don't believe me just read the headlines :D
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/06/25/2936696.htm
Wow!!! Almost freezing!!!!:laugh: