PDA

View Full Version : New rig, I need input

Orynge
01-22-2011, 00:21
OK, after muddling around for the last few months with every imaginable suspension set up, ridgeline, and 3 DIY hammocks (HH Clone, WBBB, and a ******* mix of the two) I have finally decided on MY perfect rig.

First, the hammock will be a slightly longer HH clone loosely based on sticky's design, but with bottom entry. (Doubled 1.1 nylon, $3/yard, 60 inches wide by 110 inches long). But the ends will be tied off/whipped in the WBBB style with a nacrabiner.

Next, whoopie sling suspension (if you dont have it, get it). 7/8 inch 8 strand amsteel (20 cents per foot) Nacrabiners to attatch to my tree hugger (1/2 inch tube webbing)

Lastly, I will use a whoopie sling structural ridgeline, only about 2 feet of adjustment to avoid doubling the entire length.

One no see um pocket on each side of the head end completes the deal.

Found something cool with netting, I sewed it onto the hammock like a third layer or skin. Then whipped the ends. It gave it a very puckered appearance, but it stays nice and taught and since it has extra material it can be loose enough for me to HH as a chair.

I know im being selfish but I would love some opinions from the more veteran guys on the forum, but questions/comments from us less experienced guys are more than welcome. I will get some pics as soon as the whole thing is completely done. The entire rig took about 5 hours from start to finish, maybe more. Cost was about $65 silnylon, amsteel, thread, and no see um. PLus the $20 that I paid for my sewing machine at a local thrift shop.

dejoha
01-22-2011, 00:26
Sounds like a winner. It's a great feeling to DIY and get a rig that works for you.

jred
01-22-2011, 01:41
I put ~2 ft of adjustment in my structural ridgeline, and I often wish I'd made it w/ much less, like 8".

Desert Reprobate
01-22-2011, 02:04
7/8" Whoopie?

MrClean417
01-22-2011, 15:49
Should hold but it's a bear to work with.

ChrisH
01-22-2011, 21:42
7/8" Whoopie?

He meant 7/64". Sounds like a great rig, congrats on having your dream hammock!

Orynge
01-22-2011, 23:34
Yep, 7/64 is what I meant, sorry, cant type and think at the same time.

Thanks for the input on the adjustable rigdeline, I will make it less than 2 ft, less materials, less weight, less I have to carry.