PDA

View Full Version : VIDEO: Pod Proof Finale & Neos Boots

Shug
01-23-2011, 18:00
The Finale at -16º with less insulation .... just to see if I got cold. Did I?????
Used my Stormcrow HG summer insert TQ and Frankenquilt UQ. Was I warm?

Look at NEOS overboots: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/P...
The Air Grill Blower: http://www.barbecue-store.com/Air-Gri...

Some singin' and fire play.

All secure in sector seven,
Shug

f_R5yH0rNMw

pizza
01-23-2011, 18:24
Did you freak your neighbors out with the fire twirlin'?

BEAS
01-23-2011, 18:40
Ok you have spoiled us. I understand you are fixing to embark on a money making spree to pay the fuel bills for you stoves. Could you record a bit of your show and let us see your work?

Watched Lonesome Dove yesterday. Gus mentioned his pod while playing in the river.

"I guess I'm as American as anybody from Tennesee." Capt Kall

Redoleary
01-23-2011, 18:41
Mighty fine sir. I think eating fire before going to bed gives you an unfair advantage over the rest of us non-fire consuming people.
How'd the little super shelter do? I assume thats what the visqueen tent was for.
Safe travels while on the road.

pizza
01-23-2011, 18:41
I was waitin' for you to post a little review on the supershelter you built by your fire? Did you go inside and try it out much or was it mainly just a little prop for the vid?

Shug
01-23-2011, 18:46
Did you freak your neighbors out with the fire twirlin'?
Haaa... they just walk by without comment now!

Ok you have spoiled us. I understand you are fixing to embark on a money making spree to pay the fuel bills for you stoves. Could you record a bit of your show and let us see your work?

Watched Lonesome Dove yesterday. Gus mentioned his pod while playing in the river.
"I guess I'm as American as anybody from Tennesee." Capt Kall
I got a couple of show vids on my YT channel .... same ol' stuff! But .... who knows. It is a fairly blank stage I will be on.
Gus was the Pod Predecessor!

Mighty fine sir. I think eating fire before going to bed gives you an unfair advantage over the rest of us non-fire consuming people.
How'd the little super shelter do? I assume thats what the visqueen tent was for.
Safe travels while on the road.
I was messing with drying gear in it! At this time not video ready......

I was waitin' for you to post a little review on the supershelter you built by your fire? Did you go inside and try it out much or was it mainly just a little prop for the vid?
I thought folks would think I was tenting poorly!

Shewie
01-23-2011, 18:54
Awesome vid Mr Shuggedy

I like the bit where you say you never wear that much down to bed, lol, have a look it's funny :)

Keep 'em coming

Shug
01-23-2011, 19:25
Awesome vid Mr Shuggedy

I like the bit where you say you never wear that much down to bed, lol, have a look it's funny :)

Keep 'em coming
Hard to tell for me ..... I always embarrass myself!

questtrek
01-23-2011, 19:42
Entertaining again Shug! ... We all are going to miss ya when your on the road. Thanks for posting .. I have to get me a pair of them Overboots. Thanks again. :D

mbiraman
01-23-2011, 19:52
Hey Shug ; Just got back from snowshoing. Another winner vid. Are the Neos with syn booties stiff enough that you could snowshoe with them. I've been eying the adventure neos for awhile now. Have a great month out on the road. I'm going to try the super shelter in a few days although at the temps we get around here its not that necessary but good to know.

bill

Shug
01-23-2011, 19:58
Entertaining again Shug! ... We all are going to miss ya when your on the road. Thanks for posting .. I have to get me a pair of them Overboots. Thanks again. :D
I like them but I want mukluks too!

Hey Shug ; Just got back from snowshoing. Another winner vid. Are the Neos with syn booties stiff enough that you could snowshoe with them. I've been eying the adventure neos for awhile now. Have a great month out on the road. I'm going to try the super shelter in a few days although at the temps we get around here its not that necessary but good to know.

bill
Maybe .... I have not tried. I think your feet would be HOT!!!!!!!
Hope you had a good and fine day out there.

RKP
01-23-2011, 20:10
Nice video! Cannot imagine what your neighbors think. Happy travels.

fourdog
01-23-2011, 20:11
Best peapod video yet Shug ! My hat off to you. Great info,
great instuction with good showmanship.

I just wish you wouldn't have reveiled the MN secret of
fire eating to stay warm.

fourdog

www.fourdog.com

BLUEFIN 774
01-23-2011, 20:24
Hey Shug,

Another very informative and entertaining video from the "Master Winter Hanger" Thanks for the conversion of temps for us Canadians and for our European buddies as well. I am going to get a bigger tarp and hope to get out for a test hang in the backyard and maybe a overnighter to my favorite spot. Have a good time on the road and take care buddy.

Hawk-eye
01-23-2011, 20:27
.... I just wish you wouldn't have reveiled the MN secret of fire eating to stay warm.

fourdog

;) could have been worst ... Shug could have used the Hickery method of using fire to warm yourself ... only it's not the same opening that's involved! Right Shug-row?

On the road back shortly pal ... can't wait to check this out first thing in Chicago!

Shug
01-23-2011, 20:27
Nice video! Cannot imagine what your neighbors think. Happy travels.
Thanks .... I always get invited to their parties. They buy me off with a cake.

Best peapod video yet Shug ! My hat off to you. Great info,
great instuction with good showmanship.

I just wish you wouldn't have reveiled the MN secret of
fire eating to stay warm.

fourdog

www.fourdog.com
Yeah .... fire skills only a Minnesotan can understand. I look forward to winter camping with you sometime. We still have some winter left!!!!

Hey Shug,

Another very informative and entertaining video from the "Master Winter Hanger" Thanks for the conversion of temps for us Canadians and for our European buddies as well. I am going to get a bigger tarp and hope to get out for a test hang in the backyard and maybe a overnighter to my favorite spot. Have a good time on the road and take care buddy.
I had a YouTuber ask me to do that!
What tarp are you looking at?

BLUEFIN 774
01-23-2011, 20:40
Hey Shug,

I'm looking at the AHE Toxaway in stealth brown. I currently only have the stock diamond asym from HH. way too small for cool weather. Any suggestions ?

Shug
01-23-2011, 20:44
;) could have been worst ... Shug could have used the Hickery method of using fire to warm yourself ... only it's not the same opening that's involved! Right Shug-row?

On the road back shortly pal ... can't wait to check this out first thing in Chicago!
All-right ....Spencer ...and the Blonde need ya' home!

Hey Shug,

I'm looking at the AHE Toxaway in stealth brown. I currently only have the stock diamond asym from HH. way too small for cool weather. Any suggestions ?
So many .... Paul's new tarps look might good.

Old River Rat
01-23-2011, 20:49
Another great video. Thanks. I still can't imagine such cold temps.

wisenber
01-23-2011, 21:34
I noticed you mentioned issues with trying to sleep asym. A full sized peapod alleviates most of that problem as it is six feet in circumference. A full sized peapod might help with the chilly toes as well since they are 9.5 feet long.

I've had one for several years. I succumbed to the lure of the fractional UQ/TQ combo. This season I have been rediscovering what a good design Ed Speer had all along for a sub-zero solution. While I've had to wake up in the middle of the night to tweak my regular UQ's to resolve a cold spot, I've never had a cold spot in a peapod. I might have a cool spot, but never a shoulder slip or anything like that to contend with. I still like to use ALL of my other gear, but if it's going deep into the negative digits, I'll always start with my peapod.

Sounds like Darby needs to send you one for some proper testing/marketing!:lol:

AScott
01-23-2011, 21:35
Another great video.

I really love my Neos. They're kind of a hassle for me to get on or off in a hurry if I want to cinch them up real tight (I like 'em good and tight), but they are so warm. I've noticed the condensation issue, too, but I always wear them with my hiking boots or tennis shoes. I'm still looking for some really thick wool liners. I just have down mocs, not booties. :(

Shug
01-23-2011, 21:52
Another great video. Thanks. I still can't imagine such cold temps.
Ya' got to embrace them up here ....winter is long!

I noticed you mentioned issues with trying to sleep asym. A full sized peapod alleviates most of that problem as it is six feet in circumference. A full sized peapod might help with the chilly toes as well since they are 9.5 feet long.

I've had one for several years. I succumbed to the lure of the fractional UQ/TQ combo. This season I have been rediscovering what a good design Ed Speer had all along for a sub-zero solution. While I've had to wake up in the middle of the night to tweak my regular UQ's to resolve a cold spot, I've never had a cold spot in a peapod. I might have a cool spot, but never a shoulder slip or anything like that to contend with. I still like to use ALL of my other gear, but if it's going deep into the negative digits, I'll always start with my peapod.

Sounds like Darby needs to send you one for some proper testing/marketing!:lol:
Well ... not as asym but totally comfortable. And in those temps I am just ensureing the toes stay warm with the down jacket. It is just dong nothing all night any ol' ways. Once toes go cold they are hard to bring back..... especially in the temps up here lately.
Be fun to try a pea-pod. Saw MacEntyre's but did not lay in it ... he was in there and we had just met!
I like too how the pod keeps all the extra UQ stuff snugged up to you....no fiddle factor at all once set.

Another great video.

I really love my Neos. They're kind of a hassle for me to get on or off in a hurry if I want to cinch them up real tight (I like 'em good and tight), but they are so warm. I've noticed the condensation issue, too, but I always wear them with my hiking boots or tennis shoes. I'm still looking for some really thick wool liners. I just have down mocs, not booties. :(
All winter gear is a hassle to put on and off!!! I have to stretch out and limber up before go out.

wisenber
01-23-2011, 21:54
Another great video.

AScott, you might take a look at these (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=604922).
They would probably work in the NEOS for around camp though their lack of volume wouldn't make them much to hike in. They would probably also make excellent sleeping socks for much less than down booties.

Shug
01-23-2011, 21:55
John like the pod as well.......

Us9c4mqZmfM

TFC Rick
01-23-2011, 22:00
SIr, as if you could not get any cooler, your Poi and Lissajou skills are top notch. Ecellent rollover my friend.

Rick (karate nerd)

Shug
01-23-2011, 22:04
SIr, as if you could not get any cooler, your Poi and Lissajou skills are top notch. Ecellent rollover my friend.

Rick (karate nerd)
Thankee .... but I am actually club swinging. Old school. I can't do poi as I hate string!

bigred72
01-23-2011, 22:07
Hey Shug, what did you do to modify your sleeping bag? I have a -40 degree, 900 fill bag I want to modify, but am not ready to make it into tq or uq.

Shug
01-23-2011, 22:16
Hey Shug, what did you do to modify your sleeping bag? I have a -40 degree, 900 fill bag I want to modify, but am not ready to make it into tq or uq.
Nothing at all .... just put it on the hammock. Did put some shockcord off of the foot tag and a grip clip to the hood with cord to keep it from flopping.

tonejones
01-23-2011, 22:35
I hear ya good buddy on cold feet! I usually put my booties in the hammock to keep them warm before I put them on but even then if I didn't walk around a min or 2 to warm up the air in them my feet would get cold in about an hour. So I got a pair of sierra designs waterproof down booties with a sole and just wear them as camp shoes. The only thing is I have to clean them good as not to bring snow in to the hammock. Last year at Mt.Rodgers medicine man had some of those neos boots and they were really cool. Thinkn' about going that route to solve my dilemma

AScott
01-23-2011, 22:53
AScott, you might take a look at these (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=604922).
They would probably work in the NEOS for around camp though their lack of volume wouldn't make them much to hike in. They would probably also make excellent sleeping socks for much less than down booties.

Thanks for the link.

cataraftgirl
01-23-2011, 23:28
I got some Neos for Christmas that I use for commuting to work. They're the Voyager model and come up to the low calf area. They keep my feet/shoes warm & dry while walking thru snow & slush. It's nice to slip them on and not have to carry an extra pair of shoes to work. One note for those who are going to order them..... measure the shoes you intend to wear with them and make sure you order large enough. If you're not sure on the size, their customer service folks are very helpful.
Shug..... I'm disappointed ..... no mucus this time? The Netti pot demo makes the fire eating look tame.
KJ

lonetracker
01-23-2011, 23:30
you have to be the happiest winter hanger out there.thanks for shareing that.-7 here last night.nice night in da woods.
bill

Shug
01-23-2011, 23:36
I hear ya good buddy on cold feet! I usually put my booties in the hammock to keep them warm before I put them on but even then if I didn't walk around a min or 2 to warm up the air in them my feet would get cold in about an hour. So I got a pair of sierra designs waterproof down booties with a sole and just wear them as camp shoes. The only thing is I have to clean them good as not to bring snow in to the hammock. Last year at Mt.Rodgers medicine man had some of those neos boots and they were really cool. Thinkn' about going that route to solve my dilemma
Cold feet .... no dang fun. I have had to get up tenting and once hammocking to warm them with activity. As I was tired and it was the middle of the night ....that was no fun.

I got some Neos for Christmas that I use for commuting to work. They're the Voyager model and come up to the low calf area. They keep my feet/shoes warm & dry while walking thru snow & slush. It's nice to slip them on and not have to carry an extra pair of shoes to work. One note for those who are going to order them..... measure the shoes you intend to wear with them and make sure you order large enough. If you're not sure on the size, their customer service folks are very helpful.
Shug..... I'm disappointed ..... no mucus this time? The Netti pot demo makes the fire eating look tame.
KJ

Glad you get good use from the Neos.
Mucus ... fire .....OK .... I will top both sometime!!!!

you have to be the happiest winter hanger out there.thanks for shareing that.-7 here last night.nice night in da woods.
bill
Sounds like you were out and no doubt warm.
So fun and crisp. Waking up and coffee is glorious!!!! A Gift.

lonetracker
01-24-2011, 00:18
forgot my coffee.:(:eek::scared:

Fronkey
01-24-2011, 16:49
The early morning song had me laughing. I'm waiting for the day the misses makes a video of her point of view while you're running around throwing flaming torches, singing and sleeping in sub-zero weather. :lol:
Thanks for taking us through your pod set up and have a fun safe journey on the road.
Another great video.

Fronkey

Shug
01-24-2011, 19:01
forgot my coffee.:(:eek::scared:
That is harsh! Morning chega???

The early morning song had me laughing. I'm waiting for the day the misses makes a video of her point of view while you're running around throwing flaming torches, singing and sleeping in sub-zero weather. :lol:
Thanks for taking us through your pod set up and have a fun safe journey on the road.
Another great video.

Fronkey
She does think the cold sleeping is weird ..... but totally gets it. Then she gets the whole bed as I sleep on a diagonal in the bed too!!!!
Thanks Fronkey

Hawk-eye
01-24-2011, 19:26
Aye gawd Shug-row! That was mighty fine entertainment here in Chicago o'Hare! Worth the wait my friend!

Poppabear
01-24-2011, 19:30
What a video! Entertainment whilst getting educated. What more could we ask for. It was fun and interesting to get a glimpse of your pyro-maniac personality that come out for a peek see. Have a good road trip.

BillyBob58
01-24-2011, 20:19
Shug Brother Man,
You are an absolute flippin' maniac! Juggling fire was not enough? Eating fire? Good grief! But isn't that cheating, doesn't that invalidate your minus 16? And how many of us are going to be able to eat fire to stay warm? :scared:

You are a maniac, but I sure hope I get to back pack with you some day!

Hey, what exactly is that gear over your face?

What model thermometer is that? Did you have two, or was the one in your pocket picking up outside temps somehow?

Thanks again for your videos, educational and entertaining. ( EDIT: oops, I see I could have been quoting PoppaBear! What are the odds?)

MacEntyre
01-24-2011, 20:40
Good job and great fun, Shug!

Was that a FourDog SuperShelter I saw by the fire?

I used my silk wild rag as a breath catcher last weekend, but I don't have a ridgeline so I just lay it on the outside of everything. It worked just fine. Being silk, I just waved it in the air a few seconds to dry the frost.

Shug
01-24-2011, 22:50
Aye gawd Shug-row! That was mighty fine entertainment here in Chicago o'Hare! Worth the wait my friend!
Whoooo Buddy ....almost home. Good to have you back in-country!!!

What a video! Entertainment whilst getting educated. What more could we ask for. It was fun and interesting to get a glimpse of your pyro-maniac personality that come out for a peek see. Have a good road trip.
Thanks a bunch. fire in the real cold is just plain good ol' man-fun.

Shug Brother Man,
You are an absolute flippin' maniac! Juggling fire was not enough? Eating fire? Good grief! But isn't that cheating, doesn't that invalidate your minus 16? And how many of us are going to be able to eat fire to stay warm? :scared:

You are a maniac, but I sure hope I get to back pack with you some day!

Hey, what exactly is that gear over your face?

What model thermometer is that? Did you have two, or was the one in your pocket picking up outside temps somehow?

Thanks again for your videos, educational and entertaining. ( EDIT: oops, I see I could have been quoting PoppaBear! What are the odds?)
Same here .... maybe Sipsey sometime.....
On my face is an all fleece bib I got years ago ....can't remember where but I love it!!!
also ...the thermometer is a cheapy I got at a Home Store. It reads i and out temps so I can keep it in my pocket. The transmitter is just outside the tarp.

Good job and great fun, Shug!

Was that a FourDog SuperShelter I saw by the fire?

I used my silk wild rag as a breath catcher last weekend, but I don't have a ridgeline so I just lay it on the outside of everything. It worked just fine. Being silk, I just waved it in the air a few seconds to dry the frost.
It was a trial of it......trying to dry gear. It worked but i need to improve it. looks like a hillbilly tent!
I saw your silk-bib on the video .... nice it just shakes off. and classy. you could use it as an ascot in that fine anorak.:laugh:

MedicineMan
01-25-2011, 01:22
thanks again to Wisenber for that link....those wool boot liners are def. to put up for hard times and/or to sleep in at the RHK hang.

BlazeAway
01-25-2011, 06:54
Thanks for your pod videos. Makes me glad and happy. Don’t know why. Must have something to do with the word Shug.

But help bust this myth.
Alcohol won’t ignite in cold weather thus you have to keep it in a pocket close to your body.

I had my Mini Atomic burning at - 21*C = -5,8*F (inside the Bush Buddy) with cold fuel and no problem what so ever lightening it. (Though my lighters did not work at that temperature).

MacEntyre
01-25-2011, 07:16
But help bust this myth.
Alcohol won’t ignite in cold weather...
You busted it yourself! It definitely burns better when it's warm, as do all liquid fuels. You want your fuel warm (easier to heat up) and your air cold (dense with O2).

When Shug poured his fuel into that stove, I was thinking, "There goes all the heat!" It doesn't take long to lose heat in those temps! That's why I like the Trangia... heat up the stove and fuel both inside yer pocket.

- MukEntyre, The Bearded Pod Man

KMACK
01-25-2011, 07:51
I'm starting to wonder if you were actually in the "dog house" or if you really did this on purpose ;)

BlazeAway
01-25-2011, 07:56
You busted it yourself! It definitely burns better when it's warm, as do all liquid fuels. You want your fuel warm (easier to heat up) and your air cold (dense with O2).

When Shug poured his fuel into that stove, I was thinking, "There goes all the heat!" It doesn't take long to lose heat in those temps! That's why I like the Trangia... heat up the stove and fuel both inside yer pocket.

- MukEntyre, The Bearded Pod Man

You are right MacEntyre. But there is always the risk of spilling the fuel in your clothes when you are having it close to your body to warm it up.

Shug
01-25-2011, 09:25
Thanks for your pod videos. Makes me glad and happy. Don’t know why. Must have something to do with the word Shug.

But help bust this myth.
Alcohol won’t ignite in cold weather thus you have to keep it in a pocket close to your body.

I had my Mini Atomic burning at - 21*C = -5,8*F (inside the Bush Buddy) with cold fuel and no problem what so ever lightening it. (Though my lighters did not work at that temperature).
I just find it works faster and better when it is warm from my body heat. I have coffee in my hand sooner!

I'm starting to wonder if you were actually in the "dog house" or if you really did this on purpose ;)
No .... sadly ...I choose to do it. For video only. I martyr myself.

You are right MacEntyre. But there is always the risk of spilling the fuel in your clothes when you are having it close to your body to warm it up.
I live on the edge!!!

BlazeAway
01-26-2011, 06:36
I live on the edge!!!

I yield.:cool:

lazy river road
01-31-2011, 07:45
Shug Love the video hate that you always cost me money :). I saw the NEOS Navigators 5 this weekend and just ordered a pair last night I loved them so much. Two questions,

1. How do you believe the NEOS will work with a trail runner inside, that's what I was planning on wearing inside the NEOS along with my down booties (not at the same time), but the booties I have sill nylon at the bottom not any hard walking surface.

2ndly. How do the NEOS hold up when long distance hiking lets say 8-12 mi a day. Whats the best shoe too wear inside them any advice. Like I said before plan on wearing trail runners inside them.

Thanks for another great video and safe travels on the road

Shug
01-31-2011, 23:16
Shug Love the video hate that you always cost me money :). I saw the NEOS Navigators 5 this weekend and just ordered a pair last night I loved them so much. Two questions,

1. How do you believe the NEOS will work with a trail runner inside, that's what I was planning on wearing inside the NEOS along with my down booties (not at the same time), but the booties I have sill nylon at the bottom not any hard walking surface.

2ndly. How do the NEOS hold up when long distance hiking lets say 8-12 mi a day. Whats the best shoe too wear inside them any advice. Like I said before plan on wearing trail runners inside them.

Thanks for another great video and safe travels on the road

1) They should be fine and your feet will be warmer for sure.
2) I have not long hiked in them but in snow should be just fine. I wore my Keen Growler Boots in mine.

Wags
02-01-2011, 00:19
such a showman...

shug i'm curious. you seem to sleep straight down the center of your hammock in these pod videos. i sleep at a pretty sharp angle most of the time (think 1 and 7 on the clock if the hammock is at 12 and 6). i'd be interested to see how the pod system would work on a diagonal lay. or if it's so cold out that comfort isn't a care, only staying warm is...

Shug
02-01-2011, 08:44
such a showman...

shug i'm curious. you seem to sleep straight down the center of your hammock in these pod videos. i sleep at a pretty sharp angle most of the time (think 1 and 7 on the clock if the hammock is at 12 and 6). i'd be interested to see how the pod system would work on a diagonal lay. or if it's so cold out that comfort isn't a care, only staying warm is...
I am on a diagonal lay .... it seems like I'm not. It is less of one than usual .... but very comfy. I think it is a pod illusion!
Shug of 1 and 7

Running Feather
02-02-2011, 09:35
Hey Shug! This one got past me. Lovin' the palaver.

Question: Are F16s ever scrambled while you're filming :confused:

I got the NEOS-5 for Mt Rogers last year but they sent the wrong size :(

Of course upon returning them I was notified they were out of stock in my size :confused:

As always made my morning cup-o-joe go down smooooth :cool:

Thanks again. Good luck on the road!

http://www.smileyarena.net/download.aspx?id=3653

Shug
02-02-2011, 17:51
Hey Shug! This one got past me. Lovin' the palaver.

Question: Are F16s ever scrambled while you're filming :confused:

I got the NEOS-5 for Mt Rogers last year but they sent the wrong size :(

Of course upon returning them I was notified they were out of stock in my size :confused:

As always made my morning cup-o-joe go down smooooth :cool:

Thanks again. Good luck on the road!

http://www.smileyarena.net/download.aspx?id=3653

I hope you get another pair. Now I want Mukluks too!
F16s, F17s, Warthogs and Stealth Bombers. A Cessna too.........
Thanks. Hope to see you in the Gorge again sometime!
Shug

Red Wing
02-02-2011, 17:54
That's gotta be a site! I saw a pair of Warthogs taking the coast of Lake Michigan in Muskegon over the summer and it was awe-mazing.. to be able to see all the toys! Eat it up!

Running Feather
02-02-2011, 22:36
How did your 'green house' experiment work out. I was likin' the clothes pin array.

Shug
02-03-2011, 11:54
How did your 'green house' experiment work out. I was likin' the clothes pin array.

OK .... It needs work though!