PDA

View Full Version : Bushman's Big Breeze 2.0

Red Wing
01-24-2011, 21:33
Anyone have one of these? Was lookin' for a Bushbuddy but they're crazy expensive for what I thinkI can make with a 1qt paint can and some soup cans.. BUT this little guy looks like he could be used WITH a DIY bushbuddy type stove and it looks highspeed... Anyone out there have one of these? How do you like it, how does it compare to your other stoves if you have them?

Can't Wait
01-24-2011, 23:38
I know from second hand they work well. Rich the guy who makes them ventures here from time to time.

Shug
01-24-2011, 23:44
I think for sure it could.
I have the $$ BushBuddy .... I buy some gear like the BushBuddy because someday I will pass it to someone worthywhen I am old and done.
Fritz's BushBuddy is heirloom quality... but it is stainless steel.
The DIY ones seem yo work quite well. Fun to see so many hitting the woods.
Shug

Red Wing
01-25-2011, 16:57
for 25 bucks it's not bad, like the burners drilled into the lip. Thanks for the reply Jim.

I'm usually a buyer and not a DIYer.. but I saw a Bushbuddy new for like 110 bones... 50 more bucks and I could have a New River UQ. I can only DIY one of these, haha. I've always just made a little fire and put my pot right on it or on the coals but it would definitely be easier to just filler and ligher up without having to prep the fire. Thanks for the insight guys.

Can't Wait
01-25-2011, 17:01
I have made a DIY Bushbuddy and happy with it's performance figure I can put that $110 towards something like you said I can't DIY .

Red Wing
01-25-2011, 17:23
How'd you make your bushbuddy? 1 qt paint can and progresso soup can inside? I'm still lookin' for a can that'll fit on top for the pot stand.. what'dyou use? You think think Big Breeze would work go inside your DIYBB? On the regular Bushbuddy it does look a little more stout, e.i. shorter and fatter. This had me concerned about having enough area inside to accomodate an alky stove

Can't Wait
01-25-2011, 17:48
How'd you make your bushbuddy? 1 qt paint can and progresso soup can inside? I'm still lookin' for a can that'll fit on top for the pot stand.. what'dyou use? You think think Big Breeze would work go inside your DIYBB? On the regular Bushbuddy it does look a little more stout, e.i. shorter and fatter. This had me concerned about having enough area inside to accomodate an alky stove

It probably be snug I use a DIY cat can stove but don't put inside I use some aluminium flashing as a windscreen that fits in the pot. Pot stand I use landscape cloth the wire mesh but want to redo a bushbuddy I seen one done with a outside cutter and the person to the paint can top off instead of bottom and then took the top to grocery store and fitted different cans to it to fit. I want to get a dremel tool first so it's easier and looks nicer when I cut it up for a pot stand. .

Red Wing
01-25-2011, 18:47
That's the one I'm doing, the paint can one. Probably saw the same vid, hah.

TFC Rick
01-25-2011, 19:12
The can I uaw for the pot stand on th eDIY Bushbuddy is a chicken can. The bigger short squatty size. Fits perfect in the paint can drip ring.

whayneneal
01-25-2011, 19:30
I just got a Bushwacker. Have yet to try it out, but it was a lot less money than a Bush Buddy.

Tendertoe
01-25-2011, 19:30
+1 for what TFC Rick said. In my experience, you don't need a windscreen if you use a chicken can with holes drilled in it and a notch cut out for stick feeding. Make it look similar to the BB potstand and it will perform well.

They rust like crazy if you get them wet so be careful of snow and rain.

The potstand made from a chicken can will work with pretty much any standard alcohol stove and you can use the top of the paint can as a priming pan.

Red Wing
01-25-2011, 19:34
+1 for what TFC Rick said. In my experience, you don't need a windscreen if you use a chicken can with holes drilled in it and a notch cut out for stick feeding. Make it look similar to the BB potstand and it will perform well.

They rust like crazy if you get them wet so be careful of snow and rain.

ty.. good advice

hmmm. I wonder if you could convert one of those $25 walmart anondized aluminum cooksets into a highspeed stove that wouldn't rust on you??? I need to investigate this

mulligan918
01-25-2011, 19:40
I do the same as TFCRick. It's a Sweet Sue chicken can. It fits inside the bottom of the paint can for storage. My DIY alky stove fits it it also and the whole thing goes into a Crown Royal bag then into my billy can.

mulligan918
01-25-2011, 19:43
I painted mine with high temp paint. The spray kind you use on barbque grills.

Red Wing
01-25-2011, 19:44
That completely solve your rusting issue?

mulligan918
01-25-2011, 19:55
No rust yet..used a handfull of times. The upside is if it does rust, I can make another one for about $5.

Shug
01-25-2011, 19:59
All of my paint can stoves get rusty .... never tried the heat paint. But .... they are inexpensive so there ya' go. Rust or not .... they still fire!
Shug

G.L.P.
01-25-2011, 20:12
another wood stove out there is the Bushcooker lt .... i have one and like it alot
it's alittle cheaper then the BB and it half the weight and it all Titanium
and will fit into a SP600 mug

Red Wing
01-25-2011, 20:39
All of my paint can stoves get rusty .... never tried the heat paint. But .... they are inexpensive so there ya' go. Rust or not .... they still fire!
Shug

Amen!!

Red Wing
01-25-2011, 21:21
another wood stove out there is the Bushcooker lt .... i have one and like it alot
it's alittle cheaper then the BB and it half the weight and it all Titanium
and will fit into a SP600 mug

Just watched the guy's video onit.... that's pretty highspeed.. I like the adjustable burn and the fact you only haveto load once. Definitely not bad for 30 bucks

Mister Dark
01-25-2011, 21:29
I just got a Bushwacker. Have yet to try it out, but it was a lot less money than a Bush Buddy.

+1 on the J Falk Bushwacker; I have had mine for a year or so, and it really is perfect. Took me a little while to get the hang of firing it up properly, but I got it now...

http://sjxctg.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pVUU1_xwPcC4VmMJ4V6uAOlu273I1ItFFL5lsEGiohgAcUNp ksnLRhUGXybsCNZDOSWa9u2bZ3MYRA8BaSUvaTQwkY6YhFn14/IMG00011.jpg?psid=1

It fits right inside my snowpeak 900, too.

Red Wing
01-25-2011, 21:36
Is it realistic to get it going with the help of vasiline soaked cottonballs? I really might just pick one of these up....

Mister Dark
01-26-2011, 23:04
Is it realistic to get it going with the help of vasiline soaked cottonballs? I really might just pick one of these up....

Getting a bushwacker/bush buddy stove is pretty easy, especially with pj cotton balls. (or any firestarting method of choice really) Since the woodburners work from the top down, you just load the stove with wood, and set a small pile of tinder at the top. Get it started, shield the whole contraption from the wind for a bit, and POOF! Please note that I am speaking for the J Falk stove, I presume the Bushbuddy is essentially the same.

With dry hardwood, I get right around a 20 minute burn with mine, just long enough to boil a liter of water in cold weather. Of course, you can can keep adding wood - once or twice I have been places that didnt allow "open" fires, but hobo stoves were accepted. I kept my stove going for an hour or more each time, just to breathe in the woodsmoke... :cool:

Red Wing
01-27-2011, 16:13
sorry, meant without the cotton balls but this still answers my question.