PDA

View Full Version : Trek Light Gear

CampWalker
01-28-2011, 14:58
Can anyone tell me about the Trek Light Hammocks? Good or Bad, just right. Just would like some info. Thanks

SNOA

samjaynes
01-28-2011, 15:27
Can anyone tell me about the Trek Light Hammocks? Good or Bad, just right. Just would like some info. Thanks

SNOA

There is a forum within HammockForums.net for Trek Light. I have the double, and enjoy it and the material... although, since participating, I am exploring making some of my own. Seth (at TrekLight) participates in these forums

Ramblinrev
01-28-2011, 15:28
Trek Light does have a presence on this forum. They are long standing members and occasionally run specials which they make available to us as members. While I do not own any of their gear, I have heard very good reports of it. I can not use it because of special needs I have which they do not fill.
But otherwise I would have no qualms about ordering from them or owning their gear.

Cannibal
01-28-2011, 17:28
Trek Lights are great hammocks. They are among my favorite for lounging around, whether it be at camp or in the backyard. I usually bring one of mine with me when I'm car camping just to have something to flop down in without going to 'bed'. The fabric is softer on the skin that traditional ripstop, but that also makes it heavier. Genuine Draft (my GF) used my Trek Light double for her 400 mile section of the AT. One of these days, I'm hopeful she'll give me back my hammock. :D

Doesn't hurt that Trek Light is about 45 minutes from my house. The way I look at it, buying gear from Trek Light or Warbonnet is a guilt-free purchase that contributes to the Colorado economy. That's what I keep telling myself, anyway. :)

creativeKayt
01-28-2011, 18:01
The first hammock I bought is the TrekLight double. I love it. Very comfy. It is one of my primary indoor hammocks, because it's so comfy.

CampWalker
01-28-2011, 20:59
Thank you for the help and I will look at Trek Light thread.

cataraftgirl
01-28-2011, 21:06
I also own a Trek Light double. Well made and very comfy. It was my first intro into sleeping in a hammock in the wilderness. I now own several hammocks, tarps, under quilts, and top quilts. So I'd say that the Trek Light was the perfect first hammock, since it was the one that sucked me into this wonderful madness.
KJ

Ewker
01-29-2011, 12:17
I also own a Trek Light double. Well made and very comfy. It was my first intro into sleeping in a hammock in the wilderness. I now own several hammocks, tarps, under quilts, and top quilts. So I'd say that the Trek Light was the perfect first hammock, since it was the one that sucked me into this wonderful madness.
KJ

pretty much what my gf said

Shadowmoss
01-31-2011, 08:58
A TL double was my first hammock. I still use it when hanging indoors. It's versatile, you can play with it and do various temporary modifications. The material is nice. I'd definitely go with a double rather than a single.

TrekLightGear
01-31-2011, 14:12
Thanks for all the great comments everyone. SNOA, as samjayne said I'm always hanging around if you need anything, just let me know how I can help!

sandykayak
02-01-2011, 14:50
I also have a TL double that I use for snoozing on the deck. Mine is gold/bronze with black edges.

Sometimes the sun is shining in my eyes or I just want it darker and I keep meaning to bring some clothespins/binder clips or??? to clip it shut.

It's really roomy.

UncleMJM
02-01-2011, 15:48
SNOA

It looks like you've gotten the responses you need but I'll throw in one more...

...Alan swears by his Trek Light Double (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2402) - He keeps buying new hammocks to replace it with and they don't seem to beat it so he sells the new ones and keeps the TLD.

Alan
02-01-2011, 17:36
Alan swears by his Trek Light Double (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2402) - He keeps buying new hammocks to replace it with and they don't seem to beat it so he sells the new ones and keeps the TLD.

I'm Alan, and I approve that message!
UncleMJM just doesn't know how right he is. I'll probably be posting a like-new Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 single for sale pretty soon.

I love my Trek Light double hammock so much, I wrote an article...
http://www.treklightgear.com/TrekLife/index.php/2010/03/hammock-camping-in-cold-weather-a-hammock-lovers-guide-to-staying-warm/

cataraftgirl
02-01-2011, 17:48
I'm Alan, and I approve that message!
UncleMJM just doesn't know how right he is. I'll probably be posting a like-new Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 single for sale pretty soon.

I love my Trek Light double hammock so much, I wrote an article...
http://www.treklightgear.com/TrekLife/index.php/2010/03/hammock-camping-in-cold-weather-a-hammock-lovers-guide-to-staying-warm/

You're not alone Alan. I'm in the same boat. I keep buying different hammocks as well,and finding that I don't like them as well as I like my Trek Light double. As soon as it warms up a bit outside, I have a new WB Traveler to test drive. But I'll never get rid of my TL. Good thing the other brands of well-made, desirable hammocks hold their resale value. It's not impulse buying / indecision ...... it's "re-homing" deserving hammocks.:D
KJ

Alan
02-01-2011, 17:54
There's a forum member designing a custom-made mosquito net for my Trek Light. I don't want to give away the surprise just yet but when it comes in, I will be taking tons of pictures and posting a thread about it.

Here's a hint:
cough...PapaSmurf...cough

oldgringo
02-01-2011, 18:00
Seth, isn't about time for some kind of sale?:D

11steve11
02-01-2011, 18:27
It looks like you've gotten a lot of positive replys.

Here's a little more from my perspective.

Trek light was the first plunge into hammocks we took and bought 4 Trek light doubles (2 forest green and 2 khaki & green.) They arrived just a couple days after we ordered. We instantly fell in love with hammock camping as soon as we rigged them in the back yard, (in fact I'll find a way to hang before I sleep on the ground again.) We loved the ability to have the kids hop in the hammock with one of us or each other for companionship or warmth.

The very next day though, my daughter came in the house after rigging her hammock (she's 9 and figured out in a few minutes) and said there was a hole in the middle her hammock. I went to investigate and found what looked like a cigarette hole and multiple oil spots on the new hammock. I called the company and the owner, Seth, picked up. Totally professional, said that one of the test hammocks must have got mixed in with the new ones. He mailed out a replacement that I had less than 48hours later.

The construction of the Trek lights are totally top notch. We have made 3 of our own and bought 2 of the Walmart EQUIP ones and they are not the same level of construction. I put a note in the walmart thread on the forum evaluating the EQUIP if you're interested. The Equip ones are good, level of fine details are lacking by comparison. I have also since tested Grand Trunk and ENO and have concluded that Trek Light was the best hammock for us to get started and continue with until we tailor our own.

We only got the hammocks from Trek Light, they were out of rigging and tarps when we ordered so we had to make our own. Sorry, no opinion there. We changed out the rigging before our first camping hang. The ropes and 'S' hardware that came with them are fine yet the carabiners we got were much lighter. We have been through a few rigging setups and are now sticking with tree straps and woopie slings threaded right through the hammock.

Wrapping up...at 22ozs per double hammock; considering the ultra soft fabric, fantastic construction, and the ability to snuggle with your family in the colors of your choice, it is hard to go wrong for the money.

And to sound like a comercial: Personal service from the owner of the company...priceless!

Chato
06-07-2011, 15:45
Hi there,

I just tried my Trek Light Single after work today. Great product.
I've never had any hammocks before so I can't really compare my hammock to the rest of the market but given the weight, quality, and price, let's just say it's very good value for money.

The TLS is rather large and comfy if you're not planning on sharing it with your misses. I can't even imagine laying in a TL Double on my own :) That'd be too much hammock for me.

Hammocks are not very popular here in old Europe but I'm hoping to make ppl jalous when they see me hanging in the forest.

And indeed, realising that it's the owner of the company who actually manages personal service and on-line feedback (and the hand written "enjoy" comment on the invoice?) is pretty cool.

Keep it up Seth!

TrekLightGear
06-07-2011, 17:45
Chato - Thanks for the support and thanks for taking the time to share your positive experience with everyone on the forums. Glad you're loving the hammock so far, don't hesitate to take some pictures of your Old Europe hammock spots and share them. :) If you ever need anything just let me know!