PDA

View Full Version : Whoa am I Frustrated

sandyriverjunky
02-03-2011, 12:11
I think I totally borked my first attempt at a under quilt. I didn't know how to sew the primaloft on so I figures I would sew the edges of it on to one panel first. My seams were all screwed up (sewing folds of fabric onto it's self, Grrrr) and the primloft just isn't all that easy... can anyone give me some direction?:scared:

Ramblinrev
02-03-2011, 12:17
When sewing exposed fiber insulation to fabric place it in the machine with the fill on the bottom. That way the fibers do not get caught on the presser foot "toes". Makes a world of difference.

KerMegan
02-03-2011, 12:26
which pattern/design were you following?
I had great success with the 'fabric/fabric/loft; sew 3 sides then turn the bag inside out and sew 4th edge' technique; it needs some 'quilting loops' tacked here and there to reduce shifting, but easier than channels and baffles by far..

Pipsissewa
02-03-2011, 14:43
Plus one on what KerMegan says!

Ramblinrev
02-03-2011, 16:21
which pattern/design were you following?
I had great success with the 'fabric/fabric/loft; sew 3 sides then turn the bag inside out and sew 4th edge' technique; it needs some 'quilting loops' tacked here and there to reduce shifting, but easier than channels and baffles by far..

I agree that is a very useful way of doing it. However, you should still have the fill on the bottom. I sew four sides leaving just a 6-8" area of the fourth side (usually a short side) just big enough for me to get my hand/arm and push and pull the innards where they are supposed to be.

If you do this there are some details you will want to follow for the best results. After the fill is sewn onto the fabric trim the close to the stitch line. This reduces the bulk on the seams. It won't impact the warmth of the quilt, just make it less lumpy, bumpy bulky.

By the same token, on each corner cut the fabric and filling diagonally across the corner point so there is less bulk at the corners. Leaving 1/4 - 3/8" seam allowance on those corners gives you the best chance for a nice sharp crisp corner.

Have fun.

Ekul
02-03-2011, 18:20
If its warm you did good. keep plugging away. professionals dont get that way on the first attempt

PuckerFactor
02-03-2011, 22:14
I used 2 layers of Primaloft (a 6 oz. layer, and a 3 oz. layer), and wrapped the ripstop around from underneath to keep the PL from getting caught in the feed dogs or presser foot. Kinda like this:
It worked out well.

PF

hiker_DC
02-04-2011, 13:24
For more info on the "turning the quilt inside out" technique (which is what I use and it's easy) read these directions (http://www.hammockforums.net/index.php?page=kaq).
Doc