PDA

View Full Version : Guyline anchoring for tarp in winter

tjm
02-04-2011, 18:26
I have had good luck with my guyline set-up for 3 season hiking but I need a new method for winter.

Presently I have prussic knots attaching the tent stake to the guyline which is attached to the tarp via a larkshead. In 3 season, just plant tent spikes and tension with prussic knots until the shockcord section has some stretch in them.

This works great when I am ok with the tarp being 10-12" off the ground but in the winter I want the tarp touching the ground or as close to the ground as possible.

I have been building snow walls to cover that gap but that is getting old.

I think I need a set-up that allows for a deadman anchor [made from a stick or tent spike] to be placed under the snow with adjustment at the tarp side to pull the tarp down from that end of the guyline but then I don't have anty self tensioning....

I feel extra stupid, this must be simpler than I am making it out to be.

MAD777
02-04-2011, 19:55
Just put a prussic loop through your tarp tie-out and prussic it around your guy-line. Then, you can just slide the prussic up and down the guy-line until tight.

flatline
02-04-2011, 20:49
i agree with MAD777 attach prussic to tarp. tie a fixed loop on the opposite end of your existing guyline to attach to the stake. shockcord end to stake for 3 season and fixed loop to stake for cold or bad weather.

doheir
02-05-2011, 14:34
Tim,

How about stomping out a narrow trench (with snowshoes / skis) for the side edges of the tarp? Alternately, you could stomp out a larger platform for the entire tarp area, but the tarp could be attached at the base of the snow wall so as to provide a wind break. You've likely used stick stakes that can be buried + compressed in the snow for a very firm hold on the tarp lines.

I have prussik knots for tensioning my ridgeline, so once the tarp lines are set, the ridgeline can be further tensioned a bit more for optimal tightness.

What kind of insulation do you use on your JMB? I've slept down to 6 degrees below in mine with an Exped 9 Downmat.

Doug

tjm
02-05-2011, 18:49
Thanks for the help

Just reverse the attachment points, will try that.

What kind of insulation do you use on your JMB? I've slept down to 6 degrees below in mine with an Exped 9 Downmat.

I use a z-rest in the pad sleeve to add some structure to the bridge.

I have a Hudson River and an Old Rag Mountain that see duty as TQ and or UQ depending on the season

I have been trying to determine how low I can get with both the HR and ORM doubled up at UQs. So far about minus 7 deg F but I know it can go a lot farther.

Thanks again.