PDA

View Full Version : Ancra buckle suspension

2Questions
01-06-2008, 20:26
I've been using my ancra buckles for some time now...waiting to see if others have tried them and have something good/bad to say, but haven't found any threads concerning them. I know they are heavier than rings, but they don't slip at all, are easy to setup and my modification allows me to connect/disconnect the hammock after the fly is up. Anyone else using them??

I've uploaded a picture in my gallery. See http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/3/6/IMG_4003.JPG

Nest
01-06-2008, 20:50
I've really considered them, but didn't use them because of the weight. I think they would be the best way to set up your hammock if weight wasn't an issue though. Of course if it is worth the weight for you, then use them.

Kinda swerving a little, but still related. If you wanted to do a kayaking/hammocking trip, they would be perfect. The exact same straps that you attach your kayak to your car can be used for your suspension.

2Questions
01-06-2008, 20:55
Have you ever seen them in Titanium?? That would lighten them up and probably increase their # rating also.

2Questions
01-06-2008, 21:05
The weight of the ancra buckles is a bit of factor, but not significantly for me. The flexibility afforded by them has kept me using them. Do you use rings? And is the fly attached to the suspension line or must you wrap a tree again for the fly? Presently I have one ancra for the fly that slides up and down the strap to set my fly height and one ancra for the hammock line on the same strap. Therefore only once a round a tree. Again a bit heavy but very convenient, especially in rain or while wearing gloves in cold weather.

Nest
01-06-2008, 21:27
I was thinknig about titanium ones. I doubt there is a market for them, so you probably wouldn't find any. I use the cinch buckles, and attach my tarp seperatly to the tree. Like I said though, if you don't mind the weight you have a really good setup.

Peter_pan
01-06-2008, 22:04
2Question, et al,

We did some tests with about 8 different ancra buckles.... all put wear on the webbing.... or pulled so far into themselves after a 200 pound load, even more after bouncing, that they were almost impossible to pop loose.... use with care and inspect webbing daily if you go this route.

Pan

Patrick
01-07-2008, 22:19
I use them on river trips sometimes on an island that has really big trees. I do just like Cerberus suggested and toss my boat straps in one of my dry bags.

They grip tight after a night of hanging, but I've never had a problem getting them undone. I haven't seen wear from the buckle, but I use them less than ten times a year probably.

twentybelow
01-07-2008, 23:21
Ive been using these buckles since last summer. I didnt know what they were called, but the Yakima roof racks I bought to transport my kayaks came with an extra set of bow and stern straps that were 12 feet long with those already attached, and since I never use em for the yaks (overkill), they became my no-cost hammock suspension with a simple mod. They are as quick as it gets for setup and breakdown and never slip. I havent noticed any wear on the straps yet, but if it develops I would prolly switch to cc buckles and save an ounce or two.

2Questions
01-08-2008, 11:29
I've been using Polyester straps and haven't seen any wear either. maight be different with polypro or nylon??

2Questions
01-08-2008, 11:32
The other issue of not getting them loose may depend on how tight you set your hammock. I set a little looser and have no trouble, but if there is no "give" to help release the buckle...I can imagine a little struggle to undo them.

twentybelow
01-08-2008, 20:55
I have a structural ridgeline so I cinch my straps about as tight as I can make them. When it comes time to break camp, I pull on the free end of the webbing with one hand as if to make it even tighter, while releasing the cam of the buckle with the other hand. This method works every time and with little effort, plus it prolly helps in preventing extra wear on the strap.

Nest
01-08-2008, 23:34
Yeah, I've noticed that even with polyester straps, there is enough stretch overnight to be able to loosen my cinch buckles, so I figure it would be the same with these.