PDA

View Full Version : Whoopie Sling Bead?

Hangandy
02-12-2011, 17:35
Okay a couple noob questions.

1. What is the purpose of the plastic bead that came with my whoopie slings?
2. I also ordered dyna whoopie slings. They sure are skinny. Are they intended for tarp only or will they hold 185 lbs?

Before I switch over my HH.

Thanks all!

colonel r
02-12-2011, 17:37
the bead keeps you from pulling the loop completely thru.

Hangandy
02-12-2011, 17:40
Wow, of all the peope that should have figured that out. This is why I needed a second pair, pulled the last (beadless) one through. Still don't know how it happened, but at least I can save a few bucks next time.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Running Feather
02-12-2011, 17:42

2. I also ordered dyna whoopie slings. They sure are skinny. Are they intended for tarp only or will they hold 185 lbs?

Thanks all!

Someone check me on this but I believe the recommended weight limit is 170#.

Running Feather
02-12-2011, 17:57
Wow, of all the peope that should have figured that out. This is why I needed a second pair, pulled the last (beadless) one through. Still don't know how it happened, but at least I can save a few bucks next time.

Thanks for the quick reply.

They (the loops) are retrievable. Tweezers, cheaters/magnifying glass, and patience.

Good luck!

Tendertoe
02-12-2011, 18:19
I believe a guy heavier than me hangs on them full time?

I am 260lbs and have hung fine repeatedly on Dynaglide whoopies.

Tensile strength (http://www.neropes.com/Datasheets/ARB_dynaglide.pdf) of 1000 lbs. Considering whoopies don't degrade line that much, you should be fine.

aboyd
02-12-2011, 21:33
I have a set of Whoopie slings form JRB and have used them without issue....and I way 300 pounds.

RePete
02-12-2011, 22:28
Im just over 200lbs and hang on dynaglide whoopies. I know nothing of recomended weights as I made mine. I do know someone who goes about 320 and uses diy dynaglide whoopies. I doubt you will have a problem at a measly 185 lbs.

opie
02-13-2011, 08:12
Someone check me on this but I believe the recommended weight limit is 170#.

Im just over 200lbs and hang on dynaglide whoopies. I know nothing of recomended weights as I made mine. I do know someone who goes about 320 and uses diy dynaglide whoopies. I doubt you will have a problem at a measly 185 lbs.

Im 275 and have hung using DG whoopies too.

When I set the weight limit it was more for liability reasons.

gargoyle
02-13-2011, 08:30

300 lb. DG Whoopie Club
I am guilty.:rolleyes::lol:

I've been hanging on some soft shackles/nacra biners made from dg also, and they've done well too. Several months of indoor hangs and their holding strong still.
You can use a bead or small split ring (like on a keychain, only the smaller size) as a preventer of whoopie loss. A small continous loop of dg can be made, and works well too.

awestberry
04-16-2011, 08:33
The beads on both of my whoopeis broke so I replaced each of them with a tiny S-biner - handy to hang stuff from too.

zirk
04-16-2011, 08:56
Somewhere on a thread somebody mentioned putting a 1.5" piece of whatever your using for your whoopie burried where the bead would go. I cut a 1/2" taper on either end of a 2" piece of the 1/8" amsteel and burried it and it works like a dream. PS thanks Opie for all you did with the amsteel.

flatline
04-18-2011, 15:01
i just made a pair of toggles and they are tied to my whoopies with an 8" length of shock cord which would act like a bead, and i cant drop/lose my toggles.

ChrisH
04-18-2011, 18:47
Like this? The adjustable bury doesn't start as close as it looks in the picture, it starts about 5" up from that.

flatline
04-18-2011, 19:03
that's a cool tail bead. i don't use a bead on the tail, although, i have considered tying a knot there. i tie my toggle attachment cord up in the adjustable loop to prevent accidentally pulling the loop into the bury. sorry no pix.

zirk
04-18-2011, 19:35
Ok We got Pics

first one shows the burried piece
Second shows whoopie pulled tight
Third shows length
fourth shows whole thing with pen indicating burried piece

ChrisH
04-18-2011, 19:40
Nice zirk! I like that, simple and effective.

zirk
04-18-2011, 20:24
Like I said I saw it somewhere on another thread and if I could find it I would give credit where it is due but right now I'm clueless as to where it came from

Rain Man
04-19-2011, 12:11
Considering whoopies don't degrade line that much, you should be fine.

Samson says whoopies degrade line strength by 40%, slightly better than some knots and much better than some.

"AmSteelŪ and AmSteelŪ-Blue Whoopie Slings have a break strength of 60% of the published average ROPE break strength."
Link to that quote. (http://www.samsonrope.com/site_files/12-Strand_AmSteel-Blue_Whoopie_Sling_Splice_2008.pdf)

I use 50% as a rule of thumb for both knots and whoopies.

No matter what the "strength" rating is, you need to remember those are all "static" ratings, which are laboratory-controlled, and thus unrealistic. In actual use, it is the "dynamic" effective weights that are critical and that cause lines to break. It's easy for dynamic motion to effectively double your weight (or worse). Think of how some people plop into their favorite chair. 200lbs suddenly becomes 400 lbs for a few seconds.

Additionally, something similar happens with regard to the geometry and physics of hangs. In the laboratory tests, besides being static tested, the lines are tested exactly vertically. However, hammocks are hung close to horizontal. That also can double your effective weight (or worse). Now a 400 lb effective dynamic weight becomes an 800 lb weight effectively.

Suddenly a 2,000 lb rated line has very little margin of safety. It's reduced to 1,000 lbs by knots and whoopies and biners, etc., and the hammock hanger sitting down hard or tossing in his sleep places 800 lbs of force on the rigging, with his backbone right above a root or rock. Hmmmm. Not for me.

That's why professional riggers often use a rule of thumb of 10-to-1 when human safety is involved. YMMV.

Rain Man

FireInMyBones
05-04-2011, 16:14

Thanks all!

Thank you for asking. I too was wondering what the bead was there for. Now it makes perfect sense.

Roadrunnr72
05-04-2011, 17:38
When I make my whoopies, I have some wood beads that I found at Joanns. The only problem is that I have to drill the hole out a little bigger for the 7/64 Amsteel I'm using.

SmokeBait
05-05-2011, 22:03
When I make my whoopies, I have some wood beads that I found at Joanns. The only problem is that I have to drill the hole out a little bigger for the 7/64 Amsteel I'm using.

Good tip Roadrunner. We use clear plastic beads with an 1/8" hole for our 7/64" line. Clear goes with everything :laugh:

Just thinking out load but wouldn't wood beads stained in like Mahogany and then sprayed with clear lacquer look good? Would add a nice classy touch to one's whoopie slings. Me has no time for that though :scared:

Rain Man
05-06-2011, 09:31
Where does one find said beads to purchase, anyhoo?

Rain Man

SmokeBait
05-06-2011, 18:34

Rain Man

The clear plastic ones can be found at Joann Fabric. Here is a link to their catalog page http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=xprd79157. $3.99 will get you several lifetimes worth of supply.

KP
05-07-2011, 07:23

Rain Man

You can pick up a package at a number of places. Such as Wal-mart, Hobby Lobby, etc. They come in different styles, sizes, color and material. People use them for craft projects.

Roadrunnr72
05-07-2011, 20:19
Just thinking out load but wouldn't wood beads stained in like Mahogany and then sprayed with clear lacquer look good? Would add a nice classy touch to one's whoopie slings. Me has no time for that though :scared:

The beads I got were multicolor -meaning several colors in the bag, not each bead being multicolored. Had a mix of dark and light colors.

You can see the lighter colored bead in this pic--if you look close enoughhttp://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/9/3/1/8/whoopies_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=12995&c=searchresults&searchid=91996)