PDA

View Full Version : Tyvek

Nest
01-10-2008, 22:57
Does anyone have any tyvek that they don't need. I don't know the widths they come in but I need atleast 4'x3'. Thanks

Ewker
01-10-2008, 23:02
find a construction site, they will have scraps that size

Tobit
01-10-2008, 23:20
There's someone on WB selling 5' wide pieces, any length you want, for $1/foot.

- JT

Nest
01-10-2008, 23:35
find a construction site, they will have scraps that size

I was gonna try that this weekend. My only concern with that is that if it's already in the dumpster it's probably torn up or got a bunch of holes from other stuff thrown in the dumpster.

Also, if anyone has tried that, are they really that willing to give it to you? I just figure they have more to do than babysit me while I go get my tyvek scrap. I know most of them don't like random people walking around the construction site unsupervised.

Ewker
01-10-2008, 23:38
most of the time you will find it laying around on the ground, plus if you go when no one is there they won't know ;)

Nest
01-10-2008, 23:45
most of the time you will find it laying around on the ground, plus if you go when no one is there they won't know ;)

That's kind of what I was thinking. I know of a road nearby where about 10 new houses are being built. I might drive by tomorrow to scout them out. They are all in the tyvek/siding stage now so that will probably have some still laying out.

headchange4u
01-11-2008, 09:08
I got some extra. PM sent.

cavediver2
01-11-2008, 09:46
got a stupid question what are you going to do with
tyvek?

Ewker
01-11-2008, 10:06
makes an excellent ground cloth and I have seen a tarp made out of it

headchange4u
01-11-2008, 10:12
You can make a few hammock related accessories from Tyvek. Check out the Definitive Tyvek write ups in the Articles section (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36).

Cannibal
01-11-2008, 10:13
The hitchhiking sign is my favorite use. :D

headchange4u
01-11-2008, 10:28
The hitchhiking sign is my favorite use. :D

Mine would say something like:

"NEED A RIDE PLEASE. I WON'T KILL YOU. PROMISE"

Cannibal
01-11-2008, 10:36

Mine:

"NOT A SCUMBAG, I JUST SMELL LIKE ONE"

Nest
01-11-2008, 11:22

With how creepy the two of us look, we need more than that. Maybe put some smiley faces and Spongebob stickers on it.

What I am making is a ground pad for my dog. After careful consideration and some issues at home, I have decided to take him on my thru hike. I will take the tyvek and a piece of vellux blanket and make a sleeve to hold half a z-rest. The tyvek will be on the ground and vellux will be on top. Vellux is all nylon and easy to clean but very warm. This way if I put him in the hammock I can take the sleeve off and use it as a sheet to protect the hammock.

NCPatrick
01-11-2008, 12:25
With how creepy the two of us look, we need more than that. Maybe put some smiley faces and Spongebob stickers on it.

What I am making is a ground pad for my dog. After careful consideration and some issues at home, I have decided to take him on my thru hike. I will take the tyvek and a piece of vellux blanket and make a sleeve to hold half a z-rest. The tyvek will be on the ground and vellux will be on top. Vellux is all nylon and easy to clean but very warm. This way if I put him in the hammock I can take the sleeve off and use it as a sheet to protect the hammock.

That's interesting about taking your dog... will you have to haul the dog food with you as well? Or will he carry a pack with food in it? Will you leave no trace of the dog? Or will you let him leave "traces" or whatever wherever? I guess I need for WB to come back so I can ask these types of questions there. I guess you could make him a small hammock. (to say On topic here ;) ).

Nest
01-11-2008, 12:40
That's interesting about taking your dog... will you have to haul the dog food with you as well? Or will he carry a pack with food in it? Will you leave no trace of the dog? Or will you let him leave "traces" or whatever wherever? I guess I need for WB to come back so I can ask these types of questions there. I guess you could make him a small hammock. (to say On topic here ;) ).

Since it involves hammock camping, it's all related. I have a pack for him, and plan on keeping it around 10 lbs or less. He weighs 40 lbs. I will keep my water filter, maps and compass, his colapsable water bowl, his jacket (for the really cold rains and snow), and some of his food in it. I will carry the rest of his food.

I am all for leave no trace. The poo bags I use at home are biodegraeable. So I will carry them, and when he goes I will dig a hole, put up the poo with the bag, and put it al in the hole. You can't train a dog to poop in a hole, and I'm not gonna pick it up by hand obviously. So the bags may take a little while longer to decompose, but they are safe.

Before anyone asks, yes he will stay on a leash. I have had some bad runins with dogs on the trial being off leash. I will be the hiker with a dog that everyone loves. I don't sleep in shelters, I keep him on a leash, I bury his "traces", he drinks out of a bowl not the water source, he doesn't like to play in water so he won't dirty up water sources, and I don't say "my dog doesn't bite" (they always bite when someone says that). I know he is a dog, and he may bite. Luckily I can read him very well and know his body languange and can tell when he is about to snap. All I have to do is call his name and give a certain command and he won't bite. I hike with the mindset that we are sharing the trail. Thoe on the trail didn't come out there to doeal with me or my dog and our mess and more than we are out there to deal with theirs. I expect others to be curteous, then we will be too.

About me looking creepy and needing a sign like Headchange, I am gonna train my dog to beg on command. So when a car drives by he will be on his hind legs begging for a ride.

NCPatrick
01-11-2008, 12:43
Sounds like you have a good plan, and have thought about many more issues than most people would. I still think you need a small hammock for him, even if you just hang a small one underneath yours. :).

Nest
01-11-2008, 12:48
Sounds like you have a good plan, and have thought about many more issues than most people would. I still think you need a small hammock for him, even if you just hang a small one underneath yours. :).

Do you think the tyvek would be strong enough? I could design it with a channel on both ends so I can run a line through it and it hang like an ENO. I think he would hate it though. I'm gonna put him in my hammock this weekend and see how he likes it.

NCPatrick
01-11-2008, 12:50
I think I'd put some other light material over the tyvek, to make it comfy, warm, and to keep claws from tearing up the tyvek. Does your dog have a favorite blanket? (You could make a cover out of that, and not take the whole thing).

Cannibal
01-11-2008, 12:57
My mom built a doggie hammock for her ailing dog; he loved it! He's hangin in the clouds now, but he loved his hammock. If you can get your dog to try it a couple of times, I bet he'll fight anybody that tries to mess with it.

Nest
01-11-2008, 12:58
I think I'd put some other light material over the tyvek, to make it comfy, warm, and to keep claws from tearing up the tyvek. Does your dog have a favorite blanket? (You could make a cover out of that, and not take the whole thing).

What I am making is a peiece of tyvek 2 1/2 foot my 3 ft. Another peice of vellux blanket the same size. I will set them together and leve one short end unsewn. This is how I will slide in the z-rest when he is on the gound. So I can remove the pad and have that blanket/tyvek for in the hammock. The vellux is pretty durable, but stretches a lot. I've got some 1.9 I can throw together for a quick dog hammock to see if he likes it just for a test.

Mule
01-11-2008, 14:16
I just sewed two widths of Tyvek together to make a decent sized ground tarp to hang out on around the fire. Sewed just like any other fabric. Mule

cavediver2
01-11-2008, 14:39
Since it involves hammock camping, it's all related. I have a pack for him, and plan on keeping it around 10 lbs or less. He weighs 40 lbs. I will keep my water filter, maps and compass, his colapsable water bowl, his jacket (for the really cold rains and snow), and some of his food in it. I will carry the rest of his food.

I would keep my compass and maps on my person. dog run's after deer or another animal there goes my way out.

And I have a great dog that would not leave my side but you never know and would hate to live up to my quote.

Nest
01-11-2008, 16:20
I would keep my compass and maps on my person. dog run's after deer or another animal there goes my way out.

And I have a great dog that would not leave my side but you never know and would hate to live up to my quote.

If it was anywhere other than the AT I would keep them on me. Since you could easily hike the AT without a map and compass I will keep it in his pack. I like to pull them out sometimes and see where I am at and the upcoming terrain. It's a pain to do this with them in my pack.

Nest
01-11-2008, 16:21
I just sewed two widths of Tyvek together to make a decent sized ground tarp to hang out on around the fire. Sewed just like any other fabric. Mule

That's good to know. I've never worked with it and was wondering how it would do.

slowhike
01-11-2008, 19:52
Before anyone asks, yes he will stay on a leash. I have had some bad runins with dogs on the trial being off leash. I will be the hiker with a dog that everyone loves. I don't sleep in shelters, I keep him on a leash, I bury his "traces", he drinks out of a bowl not the water source, he doesn't like to play in water so he won't dirty up water sources, and I don't say "my dog doesn't bite" (they always bite when someone says that). I know he is a dog, and he may bite. Luckily I can read him very well and know his body languange and can tell when he is about to snap. All I have to do is call his name and give a certain command and he won't bite. I hike with the mindset that we are sharing the trail. Thoe on the trail didn't come out there to doeal with me or my dog and our mess and more than we are out there to deal with theirs. I expect others to be curteous, then we will be too.

that's great Cerberus. i wish everybody would be that thoughtful about their dogs<g>. thanks!

Tango61
01-11-2008, 23:39
Cerebrus,
You've probably thought of this but you might want to take some boots for your dog. I was hiking down around the San Antonio area (lots of rocks) and this family's dog had torn up his pads really bad. I know the AT isn't as rocky in most places and your dog will probably have time to toughen his feet, but just keep it in mind. Might save you some trouble down the trail.

Tango

Nest
01-12-2008, 00:22
Cerebrus,
You've probably thought of this but you might want to take some boots for your dog. I was hiking down around the San Antonio area (lots of rocks) and this family's dog had torn up his pads really bad. I know the AT isn't as rocky in most places and your dog will probably have time to toughen his feet, but just keep it in mind. Might save you some trouble down the trail.

Tango

Yeah, I've been looking at them. I figure he would need them for the rocks in PA, and also if we have a long stretch of rain and the trail is constantly wet. I know cows get hoof rot (something like that) if they are always stanting in water, so I figure dogs can get trench foot just like people. If the boots aren't waterproof I will just make a DWR sleeve to go on the inside. That should do it.

pure_mahem
01-12-2008, 00:43

Of course it might not be a bad idea to put a backup in your dog's pack JIC something happens to your pack. My dog is about the same size maybe a little closer to 50 lbs and I usually just let him carry his stuff including an xtra collar and leash and his own first aid kit that is specifically for him has some pj, gauze, petwrap, duct tape, tweezers, tic cup, and a copy of his records. He carries his collapsable food bowl and his food and treats. I don't really take him through rocky terrain but I do put boots on him in the winter when we walk because the snow hurts his paws after a little bit. I keep his total pack weight at or under 10 lbs. I think it's recomended not to have your dog carry more than 25% of it's own body weight and thats what I've always practiced. Seems to work good for him.:D