PDA

View Full Version : New 2QZQ breathable Underquilt protector

2Questions
02-14-2011, 19:23
We have a new item on our website. A breathable 1.1 oz calendared ripstop Underquilt protector. Its available in Black, Coyote brown and light gray. See OutandBack's thread here (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28168). for evaluation and review.

OutandBack
02-16-2011, 02:01
I really got a chance to test the new breathable under quilt protector over the last 3 day.
Took a pulk trip up to Kenosha Pass Colorado (10,400 ft above sealevel) for 3 day and 2 nights had 1 1/2 days of sustained winds of 15mph with gusts to 45mph.
The UQP performed flawlessly.

Knotty
02-16-2011, 02:11
Nice addition to the 2QZQ product line. Definitely like breathable outer layers.

emcee
02-16-2011, 21:20
Two questions:
What is the weight of each protector?
Is the "breathable" protector also water resistant?
Thanks

BillyBob58
02-16-2011, 21:23
Two questions:
Thanks

And wind proof or at least highly wind resistant?

SmokeBait
02-16-2011, 21:39
Wow, that looks great! And we know the workmanship will be top notch. Thanks 2Q and ZQ. That will be another great hammock accessory.

2Questions
02-16-2011, 21:46
Two questions:
Thanks

Just updated the website. The weight is 7ozs. and because it is a calendared material, is somewhat wind and water resistant.

finskie
02-16-2011, 21:47
Two questions:
Thanks

The website says there is a waterproof syl version of it, and a breathable ripstop version.

2Questions
02-16-2011, 21:48
And wind proof or at least highly wind resistant?

Yes, I think that is a fair statement. Tightly woven ripstop and calendaring of the material makes that possible. OutandBack has been testing it for us and can speak to the resistant properties.

Wags
02-16-2011, 23:25
would the 'calendaring' make the dwr obsolete? meaning, would the water repellentness of this fabric last provided the nylon isn't damaged?

Wags
02-16-2011, 23:26
i ask b/c this may be a sweet summer option for those nights it dips into the 50s but i don't want to carry my 3S crowsnest...

Knotty
02-16-2011, 23:49
2Q please provide redirect if I'm wrong.

The way I look at it an UQ protector doesn't need to be water proof like a tarp or rain wear. It just needs to shield the UQ from fog or rain splash and breathe to avoid condensation of the moisture your body puts out. Calenderized nylon should be pretty wind resistant, breathe and still be slightly water resistant. Even if gets a little wet, it's not in direct contact with down so there shouldn't be a problem.

Wags
02-16-2011, 23:57
i agree with you, but i think i phrased my question in regards to it 'being' my UQ not "protecting" it. i'd like to know how the calendaring compares to nylon coated with dwr over the long haul...

OutandBack
02-16-2011, 23:59
Yes, I think that is a fair statement. Tightly woven ripstop and calendaring of the material makes that possible. OutandBack has been testing it for us and can speak to the resistant properties.

Although I have not performed any tests where I removed the UQP and then reinstalled it to see or measure the difference.
I believe the UQP is doing a great job of blocking the wind, snow and providing a small dead air space to help hold in heat.

Would it insulate me in 50F weather without additional insulation?... No I don't believe it would.
Would it help hold a light blanket up against the bottom of the hammock?... yes I believe that would work great.

The UQP adds a second layer to your hammock keeping the mosquito from biting your bottom.

You can also store extra clothing between the layers. It's one pretty cool piece of hammock kit, IMO

The material has a good feel to it. Strong but light.

Earlier this week I was hanging is some pretty strong winds. Winds that whipped the snow around pretty good.
One evening snow was flying up under the tarp and all around me. I was so glad the UQP was installed it just gave me a little piece of mind.

The UQP did a great job of keeping this snow from between my hammock and down UQ. The UQP also did a great job of holding the UQ in position under me.
I like this breathable UQP a lot. It is basically lives on my hammock now. No reason to ever remove it.

On my facebook page I have a few pictures of the 2QZQ UQP in action if you want to check them out. No FB account required.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=31185&id=100001427719019&l=b64b25b94c

hth

rip waverly
02-17-2011, 11:14
i just got mine. and quickly got to string it up in the basement on my new HHUL with zip mod 4. 2 great items from 2qzq.

i'm hoping it will fit on the jrb bridge too. the shockcord should be long enough to go corner to corner. if not i'll just add length:cool: i'll find out later today.

from outnbacks report.. i know this is the UQP will be just the ticket on all my gathered end hammocks, and very likely the bridge.

headed to the ohio woods for some testing this weekend. .

Jsaults
02-17-2011, 11:18
As I recall from many years ago in the outdoor biz, was sometimes used with the ripstop fabrics of the time to increase the downproofedness, especially against the snall quills sneaking through the weave. Added an extra step to the manufacturing process at the mill (passing the fabric between two heated rollers) so only the big names at the time were using it - TNF, SD, as I recall.

As memory serves it ws also applied to ripstop destined for parachute manufacturing to reduce the porosity - this was before the days of specialized lo-po fabrics.

2Q, correct me if I am in error. My memory ain't what it once was!

Jim

OutandBack
02-17-2011, 11:29
As I recall from many years ago in the outdoor biz, was sometimes used with the ripstop fabrics of the time to increase the downproofedness, especially against the snall quills sneaking through the weave. Added an extra step to the manufacturing process at the mill (passing the fabric between two heated rollers) so only the big names at the time were using it - TNF, SD, as I recall.

As memory serves it ws also applied to ripstop destined for parachute manufacturing to reduce the porosity - this was before the days of specialized lo-po fabrics.

Jim

I like the fact that this is a process done to the fabric and not a coating that was applied. It should last the life time of the material.

rip W, glad to here you got one. Looking forward to your review.
It will be interesting to see if you can get it to fit a bridge.
On my gathered end hammock, once I got the fit correct, I ended up cutting off about 6" of the shockcord on each end.

rip waverly
02-17-2011, 17:41
2qzq & bridge hammock:

my prelim. tests did not show promise, but thats not say i've exercised all the options and am giving up.

i first attempted to attach the UQP using it "as is". i clipped an s-biner to the fixed loop of shockcord on the UQP. then attached it to the main suspension ring of the bridge. i did this at both the head and foot end.
did not work. the UQP assumes the shape of a gathered end hmmk and did not clear the corners. it also hung a little loose under the hmmk.

i then tried to attach the uqp in the same manner jrb recommends attaching a full length quilt to the bridge. http://www.jacksrbetter.com/UQ%20Installation.htm
problem is, the UQP is too long, and it sags too far. the UQP is 106" long and 64" wide.. while the jrb quilts are Length: 78 inches Width: 48 inches otherwise it would fit perfectly. this got me thinking.....

i returned to attaching the UQP to the main suspension ring on the bridge. but this time i ran the shockcord around the spreader bars, so the UQP would assume the dims of the bridge. this will work, i think, however it seems the stock shockcord 2qzq provide is too short. and i'm all out of shockcord to mod it right now.:mad: the fit is NOT PERFECT, but with the some manipulating and adjustment, it will work.

so my plan is to undo the fixed loop of shockcord on the end channels of the UQP, and instead install a cordlock. i also plan to use a longer length of shockcord. the cordlock will allow premium adjustment and really dial in the necessary lengths.

sorry no pics just yet. when i get it dialed in... hopefully this evening, i'll snap a few.

the UQP is awesome though. the side channel adjustments are awesome. the overall feel and quality is unrivaled. very nice piece of gear. this will likely be a permanent fixture in my kit, on both the bridge and wbbb / HH

Red Wing
02-17-2011, 18:09
I'm lookin' forward to gettin' to see one this weekend, been thinkin' of gettin one to protect my incubator

OutandBack
02-17-2011, 18:53
2qzq & bridge hammock:

my prelim. tests did not show promise, but thats not say i've exercised all the options and am giving up.

i first attempted to attach the UQP using it "as is". i clipped an s-biner to the fixed loop of shockcord on the UQP. then attached it to the main suspension ring of the bridge. i did this at both the head and foot end.
did not work. the UQP assumes the shape of a gathered end hmmk and did not clear the corners. it also hung a little loose under the hmmk.

i then tried to attach the uqp in the same manner jrb recommends attaching a full length quilt to the bridge. http://www.jacksrbetter.com/UQ%20Installation.htm
problem is, the UQP is too long, and it sags too far. the UQP is 106" long and 64" wide.. while the jrb quilts are Length: 78 inches Width: 48 inches otherwise it would fit perfectly. this got me thinking.....

i returned to attaching the UQP to the main suspension ring on the bridge. but this time i ran the shockcord around the spreader bars, so the UQP would assume the dims of the bridge. this will work, i think, however it seems the stock shockcord 2qzq provide is too short. and i'm all out of shockcord to mod it right now.:mad: the fit is NOT PERFECT, but with the some manipulating and adjustment, it will work.

so my plan is to undo the fixed loop of shockcord on the end channels of the UQP, and instead install a cordlock. i also plan to use a longer length of shockcord. the cordlock will allow premium adjustment and really dial in the necessary lengths.

sorry no pics just yet. when i get it dialed in... hopefully this evening, i'll snap a few.

the UQP is awesome though. the side channel adjustments are awesome. the overall feel and quality is unrivaled. very nice piece of gear. this will likely be a permanent fixture in my kit, on both the bridge and wbbb / HH

When we were first discussing a breathable UQP and modifying the original design I never thought about how it would fit on a bridge hammock.
They're basically a rectangle and not anything like the taper of a gathered end.

I think it would be hard to get one UQP to fit both well.
The new UQP really hugs to the shape of the gathered end hammock. IMO, getting that same hugging action on a bridge would require a different cut and attachments.
Basicly a rectangle with loops on the 4 corners. Maybe shockcord along the two edges but not gathered.

2Questions
02-17-2011, 22:32
2Q please provide redirect if I'm wrong.

The way I look at it an UQ protector doesn't need to be water proof like a tarp or rain wear. It just needs to shield the UQ from fog or rain splash and breathe to avoid condensation of the moisture your body puts out. Calenderized nylon should be pretty wind resistant, breathe and still be slightly water resistant. Even if gets a little wet, it's not in direct contact with down so there shouldn't be a problem.

ZQ here....Yes Knotty, that is the idea we are hearing from those interested in the breathable UQP.

Jim

Sounds good to me!:) What I know about calendared ripstop, I learned from asking sclittlefield. ZQ

rip waverly
02-17-2011, 23:00
well.. after some more testing.... the uqp would really benefit from a design with the bridge hmmk in mind.

i was able to get the shock cord to stretch around the spreader bars with some modifications, but overall, the fit is saggy and loose along the edges.

outnback says it right in it being designed for the gathered ends. if it were cut to say 82" long by 52" wide.. it would likely be a nice fit, allowing room for the uqp. of course, all hmmk dims vary.. so a "one-shot" piece of gear is hard to design.

buuut, all things considered, if one wanted the 2qzq uqp to work on a bridge, technically it could. i will take it out to the ohio hang and try my best this weekend. it will also see an HH on the trip. can't wait to get feedback from fellow hangers, as its likely there is a setup i'm overlooking.

**edit**
this does not discount the design and time that went into this piece of gear. its my opinion the majority of hangers are in a gathered end hammock. outnback and 2qzq really put some time into working out the kinks -- and did so on a wbbb, (i think), which seems to be a pretty solid control subject hmmk. it fits my 1.1 dl like a glove. it only makes sense that bridge hmmk, with a radically different design, would require its own dims. its likely not cost effective to create a line of the breathable uqp's for bridge hmmks, but perhaps its a custom thing. just thinking out loud.

optimator
02-20-2011, 04:09
How would this product compare to the DriDucks poncho underquilt protector?

pizza
02-20-2011, 06:38
How would this product compare to the DriDucks poncho underquilt protector?

I have both and this is far better than the DDP in my opinion.
Main reasons I like the 2qZq UQP better:
1. It packs smaller and can be stuffed. The DDP has to be folded several times and then rolled up otherwise it's real bulky because it doesn't compress well.
2. It's much lighter.
3. It doesn't have a hood that you have to tie shut on the bottom. I never used my DDP as a poncho.
4. It fits better and the sides stay up.
5. It's more durable and will last longer.

whayneneal
02-20-2011, 07:12
Hmmmmmmmm...........this renders the non-breathable quilt protector I just bought obsolete and I haven't even used it yet. I didn't like the fact that I had to use a vapor barrier anyway. I suppose I will be getting one of these too.

2Questions
02-20-2011, 07:29
Hmmmmmmmm...........this renders the non-breathable quilt protector I just bought obsolete and I haven't even used it yet. I didn't like the fact that I had to use a vapor barrier anyway. I suppose I will be getting one of these too.

Obsolete isn't really the correct word. A silnylon UQP doubles as a Vapor Barrier of course, which is needed at times. Remember, in weather where the dewpoint is such that your body moisture condenses from vapor to liquid, a VB is needed to keep the moisture out of your UQ. It is then the UQP should be used between your hammock and UQ. Especially if your UQ is made of down fill.
So with that said, the Sil UQP has its place, its knowing when its needed. This issue is often overlooked but for winter campers an important part of multi-day, therefore, multi-night camping. I've seen down UQ's get quite heavy and rendered almost useless by moisture frozen inside the down.

edit:
ZQ reminded me of something else. THe Sil UQP was originally made as a waterproof protector when blowing rain is an issue and tarp coverage is minimal. This is where the Sil UQP shines. The breathable ripstop UQP in this case won't be near as protective as waterproof material would be. Again, knowing the right application for the Sil and breathable UQP's is important. The overall concern is the same, keep the down dry.

whayneneal
02-20-2011, 14:18
Okay, it is evident that I need to further educate myself on VBs. I confess that I'm somewhat ignorant. I read the thread that was going around a month or two ago. I need to look that over again. I'm still going to want one of those breathable UQPs though. I will probably order tonight. Thanks, 2Q.

emcee
02-21-2011, 11:52
Obsolete isn't really the correct word. A silnylon UQP doubles as a Vapor Barrier of course, which is needed at times. Remember, in weather where the dewpoint is such that your body moisture condenses from vapor to liquid, a VB is needed to keep the moisture out of your UQ. It is then the UQP should be used between your hammock and UQ. Especially if your UQ is made of down fill.
So with that said, the Sil UQP has its place, its knowing when its needed. This issue is often overlooked but for winter campers an important part of multi-day, therefore, multi-night camping. I've seen down UQ's get quite heavy and rendered almost useless by moisture frozen inside the down.

edit:
ZQ reminded me of something else. THe Sil UQP was originally made as a waterproof protector when blowing rain is an issue and tarp coverage is minimal. This is where the Sil UQP shines. The breathable ripstop UQP in this case won't be near as protective as waterproof material would be. Again, knowing the right application for the Sil and breathable UQP's is important. The overall concern is the same, keep the down dry.

Thanks for your replies. That's my concern, keep the down dry, without increasing tarp size and weight, or the weight of a synthetic UQ. I have a lot of experimenting to do, but I'm trying to get educated while I wait for my hammock.
I'm trying to balance a couple of concerns. One is wind driven rain and the other is humidity. For example, this morning it was 55* and relative humidity of 90% (fair amount of fog). Wouldn't both sides of my UQ be wet?

whayneneal
02-21-2011, 12:07
Okay, I want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly. During colder temps where blowing rain is not as much a concern as condensation from body heat I should use the sil UQP between the hammock and the quilt. During warmer temps where blowing rain and fog is the concern I should use the UQP beneath the quilt. Is the correct?

BillyBob58
02-21-2011, 12:15

edit:

Won't using the sil-nyl UQP as a VB(between hammock and quilt) loose the wind/water proof benefits in heavy wind/wind driven rain snow? Wouldn't it make more sense to just always use it with a $3, 2-3 oz space blanket as the VB function, while the UQP stays outside everything else, providing the quilt protection? Especially if your tarp was on the small side?

whayneneal
02-21-2011, 12:22
This is what I planned to do, Billy Bob. I'm still not quite getting this VB concept.

OutandBack
02-21-2011, 12:59
Won't using the sil-nyl UQP as a VB(between hammock and quilt) loose the wind/water proof benefits in heavy wind/wind driven rain snow? Wouldn't it make more sense to just always use it with a $3, 2-3 oz space blanket as the VB function, while the UQP stays outside everything else, providing the quilt protection? Especially if your tarp was on the small side?

Messing with VB is just too risky for me. If one does it wrong something is going to get wet. For me the only thing that should be waterproof is the tarp.

BillyBob58
02-21-2011, 13:12
This is what I planned to do, Billy Bob. I'm still not quite getting this VB concept.

OK, I would avoid any VB until I was sure I understood the approach. Really pretty simple, but does seem to work better for some folks than others for some reason. There is an entire sticky here you should study, by Youngblood for one. And Dejoha maybe?

Main two concepts are:
1: no significant insulation between you and the VB. Insulation between you and the VB is at risk for getting wet from sweat ( if you are too warm) and maybe from condensation. In fact, one of the major benefits of a VB is keeping body sweat or condensation out of your insulation while doing away with evaporative cooling, making you warmer.

2: Keep the VB on the warm side of as much as possible. If it is warm, there is not going to be any condensation. Vapor condenses against cold surfaces (dew point). So, even if ( like with a HH Supershelter) I have some small amount of insulation between me and the VB ( a space blanket)- like say a fleece jacket I sleep in or the bottom layer of a sleeping bag- I have never had any condensation. Because, there is still plenty of insulation on the other (out) side of the space blanket, so my body heat keeps the space bl. warm. But caution, it is still best to keep the insulation to a minimum if you think you might sweat.

But if I remove the inner space blanket, the outer sil-nylon HHSS under cover (much like a sil-nylon UQP) will now function as the VB. And it will be a cold surface. Condensation is virtually guaranteed under those circumstances. Don't use an OUTER sil-nylon layer ( like a sil-nylon UQP) unless you also use another VB ( like a space blanket) between the hammock and the under quilt. If you do, condensation on the cold UQP will likely more than negate any benefits from blocking wind and external moisture (fog, wind blown snow) that manages to get past your tarp.

Clear as mud, right? ;)

BillyBob58
02-21-2011, 13:19
Messing with VB is just too risky for me. If one does it wrong something is going to get wet. For me the only thing that should be waterproof is the tarp.

So you use the breathable UQP, right?

I love VBs(space blanket) for the most part. The approach has worked flawlessly for ME for the last 4 1/2 years with my HHSS, and also inside my PeaPod. I have never had any moisture problems. And in fact, I think it has helped keep my insulation bone dry on week long trips with temps in the 20s( or shorter tests down to 10). My friend, also using a PeaPod but no SB, was starting to worry about moisture/loss of loft in the pod by the last day of the trip. Mine looked just like day 1.

But, I admit, some folks have had trouble with the same approach. So, YMMV! Caution: Safe testing advised!

emcee
02-21-2011, 14:02
Thanks, BillyBob.
Clearer than mud! More like tannic water now!

ChrisH
02-21-2011, 16:39
Would it be possible to just make a large enough pack cover to fit over the UQ? Seems to me that would emiminate some material and provide a snug fit but not so snug that it compresses the down. Just a thought.

OutandBack
02-21-2011, 17:11
So you use the breathable UQP, right?

I love VBs(space blanket) for the most part. The approach has worked flawlessly for ME for the last 4 1/2 years with my HHSS, and also inside my PeaPod. I have never had any moisture problems. And in fact, I think it has helped keep my insulation bone dry on week long trips with temps in the 20s( or shorter tests down to 10). My friend, also using a PeaPod but no SB, was starting to worry about moisture/loss of loft in the pod by the last day of the trip. Mine looked just like day 1.

But, I admit, some folks have had trouble with the same approach. So, YMMV! Caution: Safe testing advised!

If I am using my HH exped with SS I would be using the SB VB since the SS is also a VB. Without the SB I did get allot of condensation in my under insulation.
Now a days I just like to avoid any possibility. With breathable hammock material, UQ, and breathable UQ protectors there just no worrying about condensation.

In fact I don't even think about condensation anymore. Well....OK I'm still getting a little on my bag at the foot do to the CCF pad I use.
On my next trip out I plan to try an open cell pad 18"x24" and see if I can end all my condensation issues once and for all.

Hope my comments haven't diverted the original topic too badly.

sandpiper
03-02-2011, 17:08
Woohoo! Just got my shipment notice! :boggle:
I will have it in time to show it off at the Ozark Hang! :D

meanmoe
03-17-2011, 10:25
Just picked my new UQC and Mod2s. Top quality workmanship. Thanks, Donna!

Alan
04-05-2011, 07:23
Just to revive this thread...
Ordered a 2Q/ZQ breathable UQP! Can't wait for it to arrive.

2Questions
04-05-2011, 07:47
Just to revive this thread...
Ordered a 2Q/ZQ breathable UQP! Can't wait for it to arrive.

Yep...received your order!! As soon as I saw the email address in the subject line I knew who it was!!:) Tim will send a response email tonight after he gets home from work! Thanks, ZQ

Alan
04-05-2011, 14:50
As soon as I saw the email address in the subject line I knew who it was!!:)

:laugh:
Oh boy! Looks as if I'm building quite the reputation. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing.:lol:

Looking forward to another one of your fine products, Donna!

Take-a-knee
04-05-2011, 15:28

Jim

You are correct. Spinal compressions and broken bones are still part of a paratroopers' reality, but this sure helped to minimize it.

rip waverly
08-09-2011, 17:02
another thread revival post!

anyone ever try flipping the breathable UQP 'upside-down' - to be used as a top cover?

just mentally 'becking' over here at work.. wondering if there's data on it. gonna try when i get home tonite. not sure i'd every use it, more curiosity/boredom than anything.

LOVE MY UQP~!

flatline
08-09-2011, 17:15
super idea r w, it should work like a charm. i'll give it a try this winter.
you may get a chance before i do?

rip waverly
08-09-2011, 17:23
super idea r w, it should work like a charm. i'll give it a try this winter.
you may get a chance before i do?

considering it hit 34 degrees:scared: on my last trip... probably!

i will at least give rigging a try - i imagine if the shoe fits, it would work much like other top covers people use.

flatline
08-09-2011, 17:28
i'll take some of that 34* please!

mtncmpr
08-10-2011, 07:03
I'm planning on getting an UQ in the next couple of months and I'm wondering if the (under) outer-shell that came with my HH SuperShelter would serve the same purpose as the 2QZQ Breathable Underquilt Protector. I don't mind purchasing the 2QZQ protector but wonder if they in essence are the same thing.

Pros/cons anyone?

ferret
08-10-2011, 07:10
Don't own the supetshelter, but it probably depends on how tightly it fits around your uq. You don't wanna squish it flat and take away loft.

mtncmpr
08-10-2011, 07:13
Yeah, that's one thought I've had too.

Syb
08-10-2011, 07:30
another thread revival post!

anyone ever try flipping the breathable UQP 'upside-down' - to be used as a top cover?

just mentally 'becking' over here at work.. wondering if there's data on it. gonna try when i get home tonite. not sure i'd every use it, more curiosity/boredom than anything.

LOVE MY UQP~!
Perhaps add some velcro or omin-tape like Dutch did in this thread (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33989) for the WBBB. Great idea on the dual purpose rip!

rip waverly
08-10-2011, 11:49
Perhaps add some velcro or omin-tape like Dutch did in this thread (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33989) for the WBBB. Great idea on the dual purpose rip!

oh yeah i remember that... haha.. the "deep forest"
it'd probably work

L84toff
12-09-2012, 01:15
I realize this thread has some rust on it but I thought I would freshen it up a bit. I am wondering if the protector adds any R value? IOW will it add a few degrees to the UQ?

lazy river road
12-09-2012, 07:08
I realize this thread has some rust on it but I thought I would freshen it up a bit. I am wondering if the protector adds any R value? IOW will it add a few degrees to the UQ?

Yep it def adds some R value to the UQ I would approximate it adds 5-10 degrees. I have one and its a great piece of gear.

OutandBack
12-09-2012, 10:37
I feel it extends my temp range as well, by blocking wind, plus it helps support the UQ keeping it up against your bottom.

mbiraman
12-09-2012, 11:52
does seem to help.

bill

Shug
12-09-2012, 11:58
I concur......holds some heat and keeps the breeze from robbing UQ warmth.
Shug

jrs
12-09-2012, 18:50
plus one 0n all above and I've found it works well in shoulder seasons or summer when cooler but no real need for an uq, just using it against hammock, works well, at least for me.

SkyPainter
12-09-2012, 19:16
I have an UQ Protector from 2QZQ....I think it provides an increased "R" value, and keeps the splash-up off the UQ. Worth it.

~ Sky

unm1136
12-10-2012, 01:21
I agree with a caviat. If you put it up too tight it will compress your uq, and you will have a big, noticeable, irritating cold spot. It took me about three nights to figure this out.

Also, when you are in high humidity/misting conditions, and your quilt gets damp, a Hot Hands hand warmer tossed into the UQP will radiate heat up through the UQ, drying it out while the hammock is strung up. I was hunting out of a base camp and tried this and was very happy with the results.

pat

Boomer
12-10-2012, 19:53
Thanks for the ideas.

sturgeon
12-15-2012, 11:19
Some pics of the UQP in action. Really added some warmth by wind blocking.

http://neelands.smugmug.com/Nature/Rambling/i-sdtb9g5/0/M/DSC03123-M.jpg

http://neelands.smugmug.com/Nature/Ragged-Big-Porcupine-Lakes/i-39kk9vs/2/M/DSC03216-M.jpg

Third pic, with a wide thermarest pad in the sleeve of my Wbbb. You can see how high it can go, and how you can tighten the central portion using the cord lock.
http://neelands.smugmug.com/Nature/Ragged-Big-Porcupine-Lakes/i-M8sBfcT/2/M/DSC03309-M.jpg

A great product, well-made, and good value for money. Very happy with it.

Next trip I'll try that idea of using it over the hammock...

Bosman
02-10-2013, 14:13
First Donna and hubby are a great team. Donna works very hard to get us all the great products for our hammocking. I appreciate her. One thing i'd like ot ask is, being an ultralighter in as many ways as i can, I try to have lightweight dual purpose items. I was wondering about having this made in black nobul 1 or something. I have a black 11' northwoods hammock and this product would be nice for so many things. I wonder if the model on the site would work with an 11' hammock, i am guessing it would because i am still only 6' tall. If i got the fabric to you would you accommodate me or offer another fabric option that is super lightweight?
Reasons i like this product:
Donna makes it
Adding clothes or raw insulation between layers for warm weather
Protecting underquilt in lower temps.
Flip it over and make it an over quilt in real cold temps. :D Not sure if that has been thought of.:shades:

2Questions
02-10-2013, 19:08
First Donna and hubby are a great team. Donna works very hard to get us all the great products for our hammocking. I appreciate her. One thing i'd like ot ask is, being an ultralighter in as many ways as i can, I try to have lightweight dual purpose items. I was wondering about having this made in black nobul 1 or something. I have a black 11' northwoods hammock and this product would be nice for so many things. I wonder if the model on the site would work with an 11' hammock, i am guessing it would because i am still only 6' tall. If i got the fabric to you would you accommodate me or offer another fabric option that is super lightweight?
Reasons i like this product:
Donna makes it
Adding clothes or raw insulation between layers for warm weather
Protecting underquilt in lower temps.
Flip it over and make it an over quilt in real cold temps. :D Not sure if that has been thought of.:shades:

...ZQ here...First, thanks for the kind words. We work hard to please!

I can't answer your question about nobul 1 accurately because we haven't seen, in hand, this fabric. It looks like it might work. My question would be durability because it is so light. You should check to see if there are others more familiar with this fabric.

The UQP is designed to cover an under quilt, not the length of a hammock. The shock cord on both ends of the UQP should be long enough to reach the hammock suspension. If you have a extra length custom made underquilt, I can add length to the UQP.

The UQP isn't designed to hold weight, although, there have been a few that have used it as such.

In cold temps, I'm not sure you would want to take it off the underquilt and flip it over the top because...the UQP will add some warmth to your underquilt by helping to keep the warmth in the underquilt, from leaving the UQP. It also will help shield any wind. There have been some that have talked about using the UQP on top of the hammock, but I can't remember who they are, or how it went.

Any other questions, let us know.:)
Donna

Bosman
02-10-2013, 23:28
...ZQ here...First, thanks for the kind words. We work hard to please!

I can't answer your question about nobul 1 accurately because we haven't seen, in hand, this fabric. It looks like it might work. My question would be durability because it is so light. You should check to see if there are others more familiar with this fabric.

The UQP is designed to cover an under quilt, not the length of a hammock. The shock cord on both ends of the UQP should be long enough to reach the hammock suspension. If you have a extra length custom made underquilt, I can add length to the UQP.

The UQP isn't designed to hold weight, although, there have been a few that have used it as such.

In cold temps, I'm not sure you would want to take it off the underquilt and flip it over the top because...the UQP will add some warmth to your underquilt by helping to keep the warmth in the underquilt, from leaving the UQP. It also will help shield any wind. There have been some that have talked about using the UQP on top of the hammock, but I can't remember who they are, or how it went.

Any other questions, let us know.:)
Donna
Hey thanks, by now you know i ordered. I would guess given how you make this that even my 11' hammock from Northwoods Hammock will work with your standard dimensions, don't you? I am not too worried about the fabric being durable. Blaktee on this forum made a hammock out of it! http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62851

Gallo
02-11-2013, 14:01
Two words for this UQP OUT STANDING seeing it on one of Shugs videos I emailed 2Q & ZQ Tim replyed right back answered all my questions order it in breathable ripstop nylon quality and craftmanship are great!!! easy to use just love it!!! thanks for the awesome product guys!!!

KYJim
03-06-2013, 21:46
I have one on order looking forward to get it and try it out

Red Wing
03-06-2013, 21:51
Just ordered one myself, hoping between it and my diamond tarp that I have enough all-around coverage to stay dry in a downpour. Rocking a hydrophobic down SB and a downmat so hopefully if there's failure in my system the implications will be mitigated but this UQP is integral for my idea of using a smaller tarp.

KYJim
03-08-2013, 20:28
That's one reason I ordered the UQP so I can take my smaller diamond tarp

snidetripod
03-08-2013, 22:40
I wonder if this is the one I received today. If so, the craftmanship is stunning. Should compliment my HH colors perfectly guys. Thanks for the swift catch on the color discrepancy. I am looking forward to trying tis out next week, temps are still supposed to be below zero celcius. Just one more question, does not pertain to the UQP, how to attach me matching peak bag. Shoot me a pm with answers as I don't want to flood this thread with off topic matters. Thanks again 2qZq. Can't wait till I can afford the mod 4.

KYJim
03-13-2013, 21:22
Got the notice that my UQP shipped !!

snidetripod
04-10-2013, 15:51
Last week I was finally able to try out my new UQP from 2QZQ, the last few months have been very busy for me what with job and new baby. I am happy to say that I am very impressed with this addition to my hammock setup. It blocked the wind perfectly and added some warmth around my shoulders and feet. I do see it taking some time to perfect the setup, but all in all it seemed to set itself up. I filmed a video of the test which I have included here for your viewing pleasure. Thanks 2QZQ for this amazing piece of gear!!!

sOXYYktZUO8

jwright
04-11-2013, 03:36
Snidetripod,
Thanks for the awesome video, loved it, loved the background and the SNOW. It was 80 deg here today, missing winter already.
thanks,
Jason

Boon Booni
06-03-2013, 21:43
Anyone have pictures of how small the breathable UQ protector packs down?

Banjoman
06-04-2013, 21:15
I've got the breathable uqp. No pics, but I can easily wad it up to the size of a softball or smaller.

Deadphans
06-05-2013, 19:22
What would be the advantage over a breathable versus non breathable?

Boon Booni
06-05-2013, 19:39
What would be the advantage over a breathable versus non breathable?

Non breathable will trap moisture from you in the under quilt.

Deadphans
06-05-2013, 20:02
Is there at all advantage to that, is breathable generally preferable/less effective?

pizza
06-05-2013, 20:06
Anyone have pictures of how small the breathable UQ protector packs down?

Ask and ye shall receive. That's a 23.7oz Smart water bottle next to it.

Boon Booni
06-05-2013, 20:13
Ask and ye shall receive. That's a 23.7oz Smart water bottle next to it.

Awesome, thanks!