PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle your Rain Fly

jscalia
01-11-2008, 14:07
How are you packing your rainfly if you keep it detached? Are you putting in a separate bag? What size? waterproof bag? Do you keep in the the same bag as the hammock (assuming its not wet)?

I keep my fly separate in a small ditty bag at the top of the hammock storage bag...but I 'm thinking of putting in its own bishops bag type of waterproof stuff sack so that I can quickly hang and take it down on its own and can stuff it with the hammock without wetting it if raining.

Mule
01-11-2008, 14:14
That's what I do, separate waterproof stuff sack in the very top of my pack. Mule

Brian
01-11-2008, 14:15
I always keep my tarp in a separate silnylon stuff sack, wet or not. I don't see any wisdom putting my tarp along with my hammock in it skins, especially if it's wet. My hammock gets buried in my pack, and my tarp stays on top if its raining, so it can be first out/last in.

Brian

BillyBob58
01-11-2008, 14:37
Tarp ( by itself ) in snake skins, then strapped to the outside of my pack, often rolled up in my backup CCF pad.

Cannibal
01-11-2008, 14:44
Tarp gets put in the outer mesh pocket of my pack. I don't have to open my pack to set-up shelter that way.

mataharihiker
01-12-2008, 08:13
I keep it in a mesh bag...the weather will decide whether it goes inside the pack or outside...

Dutch
01-12-2008, 09:16
Like Cannibal I keep it loose in an outer mesh pocket of my pack. Everything that can get wet goes on that mesh pocket. Tarp, treehuggers, pack cover, 70's style roller skates, and rain gear.

stoikurt
01-12-2008, 12:20
I keep mine in mesh snake skins and like Mataharihiker said it depends on the weather, tarp wetness when packed, or maybe room in the pack, as to where it get stored.

GrizzlyAdams
01-12-2008, 12:26
Like Cannibal I keep it loose in an outer mesh pocket of my pack. Everything that can get wet goes on that mesh pocket. Tarp, treehuggers, pack cover, 70's style roller skates, and rain gear.

been wondering though how those trail wheels on the skates treat the mesh. All those edges and protrusions :eek:

Grizz

Preacha Man
01-12-2008, 13:07
Tarp gets put in the outer mesh pocket of my pack. I don't have to open my pack to set-up shelter that way.

Ditto, if it is wet or not it goes in mesh. It is the first thing that can be out and the last thing that goes in :D

Dutch
01-12-2008, 13:12
been wondering though how those trail wheels on the skates treat the mesh. All those edges and protrusions :eek:

Grizz

I have special sil wheel covers so the bearings and trucks don't get rusty. I keep the small disco ball wrapped with my short shorts in my pack.

GrizzlyAdams
01-12-2008, 17:53
I have special sil wheel covers so the bearings and trucks don't get rusty. I keep the small disco ball wrapped with my short shorts in my pack.

so you must be in the "tapered" cow-catcher camp for your skates, as opposed to the "dual prong". The latter would shred your mesh in a heart-beat. Surprised you haven't chimed in on the fire-storm on that issue over at WB.

I heard about a new ultralight weight disco ball, made of stiff reflective paper, folds up flat. Guess they're going to be the big "New Thing" in the shelters in 2008. A little too flashy for me.

Grizz

Perkolady
01-13-2008, 10:42
I also store my tarp in the outside mesh pocket. I like having it there for easy to grab acces. Comes in handy for a rainy lunch stop!

Perkolady