PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about ENOS hammocks?

injun51
02-19-2011, 18:24
I was looking at one today and was wondering if anyone could give me any info on these. I have been looking for a lightweight well constructed hammock for backcounrty hanging. I have a Claytor Jungle Hammock and was wondering how they match up performence wise. I was a little sceptical about the weight limit on such a lightweight hammock. The bag said it could hold 400lbs at only 18 ounces. Wanted to know if this is a true weight limit or not. Thanks for your help folks.

Roadrunnr72
02-19-2011, 18:37
I have an ENO single, alot use the double. It was my first hammock, no regrets. Light weight, nice fabric. I don't know about the 400lbs. I am 227lbs. and had my daughter in it with me, she's about 55lbs. That was just lounging around in the yard, wouldn't try overnight with 2 in it, just not enough room. I can NOT compare it to the Claytor Jungle, as to not ever using or seeing 1. I did remove the carabiners and use whoopie slings with a larkshead to the factory rope.

opie
02-19-2011, 18:41
I've had about 385 in an ENO double. Held fine, bent my poles.

ENO hammocks are nice hammocks.

Danvandanne
02-19-2011, 19:14
I have had over 390 in my ENO DN and everything held strong except for the stretchy slapstraps. I love using my DN for everything from backcountry camping to relaxing in my yard.

-Dan

Roadrunnr72
02-19-2011, 19:33
WOW, you two sure have a lot of friends--385 and 390:lol::lol::lol:

Timberrr
02-19-2011, 19:49
385?!.... 390?!!!....
Wow, when you guys say you have a big date you mean you have a BIG date... :scared:

We use ENO DN's and love 'em!
:)

opie
02-19-2011, 21:01
It was me and both my kids.... I thought I had a picture....

gunner76
02-19-2011, 21:03
I weight 290 and my ENO DN holds me just fine

opie
02-19-2011, 21:11
Here it is...

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp200/opie0074/DSCF4854.jpg

And what it did to my poles...

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp200/opie0074/DSCF4857.jpg

peanuts
02-19-2011, 21:18
i still use my eno, its my only hammock, and its 10 yo!!! love it:D

TFC Rick
02-19-2011, 21:28
310-ish here and my daughter and I (50-ish) take regular after school naps in it.

Gumbo
02-19-2011, 22:27
I like the way the material feels, but then I've only ever laid in other hammocks for a few minutes.

As Timberrr said, we are happy with them. Sometimes I find myself wondering if I need a double layer hammock and then I remind myself that I live in Florida and don't need anything under padding for warmth for 8 months out of the year! I'll be keeping the ENO DN until we find a hammock truly built for a couple.

Danvandanne
02-19-2011, 23:44
385?!.... 390?!!!....
Wow, when you guys say you have a big date you mean you have a BIG date... :scared:

We use ENO DN's and love 'em!
:)

Me, my wife, my 6yo daughter, and my 3yo son. Claimed 400 and I had to test it to make sure they weren't lying. :D

-Dan

Timberrr
02-20-2011, 00:00
Me, my wife, my 6yo daughter, and my 3yo son. Claimed 400 and I had to test it to make sure they weren't lying. :D

-Dan

Okay, yes... I knew you guys aren't really 390# (or have a 395# date).
I was only kiddin'
I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings.
(But you have to admit - 395# would be a BIG date)

Roadrunnr72
02-20-2011, 08:46
Okay, yes... I knew you guys aren't really 390# (or have a 395# date).
I was only kiddin'
I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings.
(But you have to admit - 395# would be a BIG date)

That was why I said- alot of friends-. Figured I couldn't hurt the feeling with that 1.

Debi Jaytee
02-20-2011, 09:02
Cute pics, Opie!
I sleep in an Eno Double every night, most comfly sleep I've ever had!

Ramblinrev
02-20-2011, 09:42
I built my DIY home sleeper to a doublenest spec and it was extremely satisfying. I would buy one if I could get out of it without assistance. At home I rigged an assist rope. I can't see doing that in the field.

injun51
02-21-2011, 18:36
Thanks to everyone that responded to this. I do believe a new ENOS is in my near future, and its $100 bucks cheaper then my Claytor and about 1/4 the weight. Can't wait to try it out once i pick it up. Maybe tomorrow. Once again thanks to everyone for their input it definetly helped me make a decision. :D

Notare
02-22-2011, 02:12
Two dbl Eno hammocks and work great

Quitman1519
02-24-2011, 22:32
Me and my brother got a double nest from eno and decided to test the weight limit I weigh 185 and my brother weighs 245 and it held fine just the poles kinda bent

Randy
02-24-2011, 22:47
As the others have said they are a good choice. Baby Momma and I have tried my double,,,I'll just say she is big boned (we all know that there aint no such thing as a phat skelton) and it does fine. For the price of the hammock and an ENO bug guard you can have a very good and practical rig....Goodluck.

jeepcachr
02-28-2011, 11:22
I've got a double and a single and really like them. They don't see much backcountry use since I upgraded to a Blackbird.

You can shave a lot of weight of those by replacing the ropes and S hooks. Plus that weight doesn't include tree straps. 18oz is not a light hammock, 7oz is a light hammock. :) Mine with amsteel whoopie slings and 6' tree straps when I was still using carabiners weighed in at 19.84oz.

Big Papi
02-28-2011, 13:34
I can testify that I am 418 pounds and I sleep in a ENO doublewide and it holds fine. I use clark tree huggers, amsteel whoopies, and black diamond carabiners. I just find thick trees to hold me

Slanket
03-02-2011, 21:40
Just wanted to add my 2¢ concerning Eno: They're great hammocks to start with, just avoid their slapstraps.

I've got a Doublenest and I don't regret buying it. While I'm nowhere near 400 lbs, my doublenest has held myself (200), my girlfriend (120), and our son (40) with no problems whatsoever. I am pretty confident of their 400 lb rating, just make sure your hammocks suspension is strong enough to handle it too.

torretto
03-07-2011, 09:28
hey what is wrong with the straps? i have had single nest and straps for 2 months and am hanging everywhere I can.....straps are heavy is that it
damian

Big Papi
03-07-2011, 14:23
I have heard the slaps have too much give in them, they stretch so far as to mess your lie.

Timberrr
03-07-2011, 15:47
hey what is wrong with the straps? i have had single nest and straps for 2 months and am hanging everywhere I can.....straps are heavy is that it
damian

The Slap Straps are nylon. Nylon slowly stretches under load. The greater the load and the more nylon you have (I.E. the more you weigh and the greater the distance from the end of your hammock to your tree) the more stretch you are going to get. When you remove the load, the nylon will slowly return to normal length. It won't snap back like a bungie cord. Slap Strap Pros are longer and thinner - meaning even more stretch!
The Slap Straps are a good design but they're made with the wrong material. They should have been polypropeline, polyester, polywannacracker, something, anything but nylon!
Hey ENO, are ya listening?! You make a great product - now address the weak link. What's taking you guys so long?

P.S. My wife and I love our DNs, Dry Flys & Guardian Bug Nets. We use our slapstraps to hang gear on the tree.
P.P.S. This is just IMHO. (don't sue me ENO - I'm not a wealthy man :()

Cannibal
03-07-2011, 15:52
What's taking you guys so long?
They are busy with underquilt research for the Ember and tarp design. :lol:

Their hammocks, however, are great! Very comfortable and priced low. We have a few and are even a couple that successfully and happily sleep double in their doubles from time to time. I really like the material they use and the general comfort of their hammocks. I haven't found much else that ENO sells that I want in my pack, but their hammocks are solid.

Timberrr
03-07-2011, 15:59
Their hammocks, however, are great! Very comfortable and priced low. We have a few and are even a couple that successfully and happily sleep double in their doubles from time to time. I really like the material they use and the general comfort of their hammocks. I haven't found much else that ENO sells that I want in my pack, but their hammocks are solid.

I agree completely! Well designed and well made stuff.
I also like the way their Dry Fly channels the rain away. We've been in some serious rain with them and we were dry as toast, even though they aren't nearly as large as other tarps.

Friar_Tuck
03-08-2011, 02:25
Love my ENO Doublenest. One of the best sleeping hammocks I have ever hung in. I have to bring an alarm clock or I over sleep, it's so comfortable. The first time I hung in it, 3 years ago, I slept 11 hours (10PM to 9AM) and only got up once around midnight to "make water". It has far exceeded my expectations for longevity, comfort and ruggedness.

The only thing I would change is the carabiners that are provided. I swapped out the steel ENO carabiners for alloy ones to lighten the load.

cwellman
03-08-2011, 22:16
I bought the ENO DoubleNestlast summer and used it for the first time on a trip in the BWCA. I was sold. My girlfriend and I have passed several comfortable nights together in the Porcupine Mountains in it, and I used it every night for a month while working a political canvassing job that required me to camp in Northern Wisconsin for a month (that's right, they paid me to camp).

I know the WBBB is typically the hammock of choice on these threads but I love my ENO.

The most important mod you can make to your ENO, and I suggest you do it immediately, is in changing up the suspension system to anything but the carabiners and slapstrap system they sell you. It works, but comes with a lot of unnecessary weight. Look at the DIY threads and suspension threads here, and use a little common sense, and you'll be able to design a much, much better system.

Cheers.