PDA

View Full Version : Wich is the most durable?

pure_mahem
01-14-2008, 14:36
When using your tree hugger/ the strap that goes around the tree is it most durable to...?

A) sew a loop and use a carabiner to hook the strap to itself

B) sew a loop and pass the strap through the loop

C) sew a loop with a half twist, which keep the loop in a semi open position and pass the strap through this loop

D) use any of the above methods with an additional piece of strap sewed into the loop portion for reinforcement

E) alternative method that hasn't been listed, Please Explain

When I say durable I'm talking about wear on the strap itself and wear on the loop for instance when using such and such method I've noticed that the strap cuts into the loop and the strap wears through quite quickly, etc.....

Dutch
01-14-2008, 14:47
I think the answer is "D any of the above with reinforcement". I have done this to all my tree huggers and I on longer have seen any wear.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/0/9/ATT00013.jpg
Since the rope is rubbing on the reinforcement which is not being stretched like the hugger itself there wear is minimal. Plus the wear does not hit the same place (the crease of the loop) like just a hugger. Lastly if wear did occur it is much simpler to replace the reinforement than the entire hugger. A,B,C all put abrasive stress on the same point of the hugger IMHO.

neo
01-14-2008, 17:27
i just tied my loop using a neo knot.:cool: neo

headchange4u
01-14-2008, 18:19
i just tied my loop using a neo knot.:cool: neo

Okay, I gotta ask:D

I heard of the neo tarp, neo hammock, neo super pad combo, but that the heck is a neo knot?:D :p

skar578
01-14-2008, 18:25
well, I think a biner will be best, it removes all fabric on fabric friction, and then loop the cord through the biner too, thus eliminating the friction there too.

pure_mahem
01-14-2008, 18:47
Is the Neo Knot similar to a "knife knot"?