PDA

View Full Version : Suspension help

Bassfisherman00
02-21-2011, 16:25
Ok I took the stock cord and put in some amsteel and I am using it with a 2 o rings on each side, with webbing. It works and holds me but while laying in my hammock it feels a lot tighter on the sides than it did before. I don't know what exactly is the problem but it seems as if my weight is being centered to much on the hammock. Any thoughts?

Bubba
02-21-2011, 16:35
If all you did was change the stock rope in the end channels, I cannot imagine that making a big difference. It didn't for me anyways. If you don't have a structural ridgeline, going on feel alone may not be accurate. Its possible you set it up with less sag after you swapped out the stock cord for the amsteel. Try playing with your sag a little is where I would start and consider putting on a structural ridgeline to get you consistent sag.

opie
02-21-2011, 18:37
Bass, You arent the first person to notice a difference switching what goes through the channel. I personally didnt notice an difference, but I do have a suggestion.

Make sure that the cinch point is centered on the end where the ends of the channel come together. If its not, when you weight the hammock its going to want to rotate the fabric to bring the cinch point to TDC. Make sense?

Alot of times when we swap out the rope we pull it tight by hand and try to make sure its centered, but when we weight the hammock it pulls even tighter and sometimes can offset.

Bubba
02-21-2011, 21:00
Bass, You arent the first person to notice a difference switching what goes through the channel. I personally didnt notice an difference, but I do have a suggestion.

Make sure that the cinch point is centered on the end where the ends of the channel come together. If its not, when you weight the hammock its going to want to rotate the fabric to bring the cinch point to TDC. Make sense?

Alot of times when we swap out the rope we pull it tight by hand and try to make sure its centered, but when we weight the hammock it pulls even tighter and sometimes can offset.

Great point. I centre mine without thinking about it but the amsteel makes a smaller loop than the larger stock rope which also had the knot in the channels.

torretto
03-07-2011, 09:40
hey guys and gals,

i got my wife a grand trunk nano 7, it uses the mad rock caribiners (sp) in the end channels. I saw a picture with the same ones used in same fashion in a eno hammock. i traded out my stock caribiners for some mad rock ones but am thinking i could save weight by taking out the rope?

any suggestions

damian