PDA

View Full Version : Calandered?

Polymath
02-22-2011, 00:59
Ok so I'm a newb who is looking to make his first hammock. I have spent the last few days sifting through page after page of info, watching videos, and looking for a good place to purchase some fabric. However as I have been looking I have seen a lot of listings that say the ripstop is "Calendared." Anyone care to explain what this means?

Also while I'm making a thread I might as well throw in my other question of what exactly it means when they say "Coated."

I was looking at the "1.1oz Ripstop Nylon - Olive Green" from BWDD (http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1434183)

Red Wing
02-22-2011, 01:06
calendered I assumed was the blocking you see in some ripstop. Like the Army's summer ACU's or BDU's.. they have grid lines runnin' through them.

And coated I believe just means it has a Durable Weather Resistant finish..

Red Wing
02-22-2011, 01:07
if you use a DWR coated ripstop then all of the condensation will collect in the bottom of your hammock vs. evaporating through a breathable ripstop. As so the theory goes.

Polymath
02-22-2011, 01:25
Ok cool. I read some wiki post on Calendering and it made it sound like a bad thing.
Thanks for the quick reply!

callook66
02-22-2011, 01:47
Calendared nylon refers to each individual thread being squished or flattened. Mont-Bell uses calendared nylon in their down jackets to assist in down proofing. They've got fancy diagrams about it that I've seen in their catalogs.

MacEntyre
02-22-2011, 07:39
Calendared means the fabric passes between two big, heavy, turning cylinders that nearly touch each other, with adjustable pressure. It's like the steam roller that put a smooth finish on roads, but with one one each side pushing against one another.

Syb
02-22-2011, 07:41
Scott from BWDD is great to deal with and if you have any questions about his 1.1 ripstop shoot him a PM or an email. He has worked with me on a project in the past and two upcoming ones. He's very knowledgeable about his fabrics.