PDA

View Full Version : Central Texas Hangout and Hog Hunt.

Rat
01-17-2008, 02:00
For several years now many of my friends and I get together at our favorite wild hog hunting area and have a hunt. It is called the Granger Ranger Xtreme Hunt (GRXH for short). What makes this hunt 'extreme' is the fact that NO FOOD is allowed to be brought into camp, everything you eat must be caught, killed or collected.

Before you say no out of reflex, this isn't a 'Survival Skills' workshop, we bring everything else, just no food. Hammocks, drinks, spices and all that are legal, just no food.

Also, we plan the GRXH to coincide with the White Bass and Crappie run into the river, catfish are also abundant in and around the area we camp. So we have never gone hungry.

Some people show up just to camp and fish, others to hunt. Granger WMA is an archery only area so there will not be any firearms in use at this hunt.

Kids (of all ages) are welcomed and encourage to come, there will be adult beverages, but we have never had a problem with it in the past.

This is less of a hike and more of a campout. The campsite is a Primitive Camp Site on the banks of the San Gabriel River that feed Granger Lake. Hiking in from the trailhead is possible, it's a little over 4 miles by my GPS. However, you can easily park at entry point No. 7 and ride to PC in a boat, that is what most of us do. The hiking trails at Granger aren't much, but the area is predominately hardwood bottoms and small game as well as Rio Grande Turkey and Whitetailed deer are frequently sighted.

Squirell hunting with shotgun is allowed during this time of year also. To date no one has ever done it, but if that is your thing then by all means bring your hunting gear and help feed the crowd. We are bowhunters, but all legal means are welcomed.

The GRXH this year is Feb. 22-24. We usually arrive early Friday and leave midday on Sunday.

You can get a feel for the hunt by visiting the thread over at www.texasbowhunter.com My moniker is 'Rat' on the TBH boards.

Here is the GRXH Thread on TBH. (http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26929)

I will post maps and stuff later, most of them are on the TBH thread, but I will post them here for everyone. You can contact me by e-mail:

robert.lee01(at)yahoo(dot)com
512.577.5367 mobile
or by PM here.

Questions and arrival times can be posted here or at the GRXH Roll Call Thread on TBH (http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28449) You may hafta be a member to post tho, I dunno.

So who's in?

headchange4u
01-17-2008, 08:58
That sounds like it would be a blast. To bad you are no located a little closer.

Take-a-knee
01-17-2008, 11:03
That sounds like it would be a blast. To bad you are no located a little closer.

Ditto, too bad I live so far away.

Tobit
01-17-2008, 12:39
Triple that!

- JT

slowhike
01-17-2008, 19:34
yep, if i wer'nt so far away, that would be great!
i hope you'll bring back a few pictures.

Rat
01-17-2008, 20:35
You can bet we will have TONS of pictures.

beeman
02-12-2008, 07:09
He has posted regularly on White Blaze and I think Trailplace.

Coffee
02-12-2008, 11:51
What's what I was thinking. If only a little closer.