PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard Survival tube test

02-26-2011, 18:06
I purchased the Blizzard Survival tube
http://www.ps-med.com/products/detail.php?p=16
$38.00 with shipping.
Tested it last night. It got down to 39 in San Diego and I was comfortable all night. The openings on each end seemed to prevent condensation. 19 oz under $40 .. a good three season top and bottom solution. Repacks into old compression sack nicely....

doheir
02-27-2011, 06:23
Dave,

Did this material seem sturdy enough for multiple uses, especially in a bag or tube form, which is often a wrestling match in a hammock? I tried taping a mylar vapor barrier bag, but it ripped shortly due to the same stresses and had to resort to a silnylon bag.

Doug

02-28-2011, 17:46
Kinda hard to say yet... I've repacked it three times without issue but haven't taken it into the field (only backyard hangs so far). This last time I left it over the hammock and put them in the compression sack. (where they are currently) .. Another test tonight (High thirties predicted) I've added the AMK thermal Bivvy..

03-08-2011, 20:22
Another successful test. Chilly rainy night in the San Diego Canyons..Snug as A bug. Total weight 25.8 oz. Total cost $75.00

G.L.P.
03-08-2011, 20:44
i still don't see this as a long term fix or replacement for UQ and TQ
from the looks of it, it doesn't look like it will hold up to alot of use...most of those survival tubes are not made for that ....
i know a few years ago alot of ppl tried using stuff like this
long story short it didn't last long .... it's a great way to get into hammocks but it's not a long term solution

i think not having condensation has to do with the are you live in.. SD area is very dry (i lived outside of Hemet at one time) so thats probly a big reason for no condensation problems ....
now on the east coast or in areas that are not dry i can see most ppl waking up in a puddle of condensation ... i know when using a survival blanket i has bad condensation problems .. and there made out of the same thing as that survival tube

i'm not trying to shoot down your idea ... but at some point in time you will end up with a UQ.... it happnes to everyone :D

03-09-2011, 21:16
as far as the durability.....time will tell... I agree that the low humidity helps but the design of the Survival Tube (open on both ends) creates enough air flow draft to prevent condensation. Further, its much more durable than a typical Space Blankets. I've hung in it about 10 times and I've worked out a system where it never hits the ground. It's shows no wear at this point.....I'm telling you this thing is a very elegant design... Besides for the price it doesn't really need to be that durable for a top/bottom solution.

jeffjenn
03-09-2011, 23:11
Dave, could you possibly post some pics of how you are using this setup? It sounds interesting!

injun51
03-09-2011, 23:27
Dave,

Did this material seem sturdy enough for multiple uses, especially in a bag or tube form, which is often a wrestling match in a hammock? I tried taping a mylar vapor barrier bag, but it ripped shortly due to the same stresses and had to resort to a silnylon bag.

Doug

If you go on their website they have a guy rate one that is a super marithon runner and he needed something lightweight. He did'nt care about longevity, just that it was light, warm and waterproof and he wound up getting (don't quote me on these numbers) something like 30 days of continuious use from one bag. I am ordering 2 this next week from Botach tactical. I was planning on using it for an under quilt. Its already basically set up for it.
Big Dave, where did you get yours and for how much? Just trying to get the best deal i can. Thanks.

03-10-2011, 18:02
I got it at Persysmedical
$ 32.00 plus $6.00 shipping

I'm happy to take pix's. but somebodies gotta tell me how to upload em...

Also....If little to rain is expected, I go tarpless...I feel so naughty when I do it.. hehehehe

injun51
03-10-2011, 18:33
I got it at Persysmedical
$ 32.00 plus $6.00 shipping

I'm happy to take pix's. but somebodies gotta tell me how to upload em...

Also....If little to rain is expected, I go tarpless...I feel so naughty when I do it.. hehehehe

You must be friends with Charlie Sheen. LOL

03-18-2011, 19:32
I spent the last three night in the 'Tube'...All three Tarpless

First night- 48 and clear.. cozy...
Second night 46 and very foggy.. I slept well, but woke a 4:30 to pee and found condensation on the inside of the tube.. I wasn't sweaty but the inside of the tube was..as I was wearing sweat shirt and pants it was't a problem. I was able to get right back to sleep...

Third night 46 and clear .. another good night no fog = no condensation

In the future I'll use my DIY Tyvek tarp if Fog is predicted..

Here are my Pix

jeffjenn
03-19-2011, 00:51
I was wearing sweat shirt and pants it was't a problem.

Dave, thanks so much for the pics! As quoted you said you were wearing sweats, but I was wondering what else you were using? As in a sleeping bag or Quilt??

03-20-2011, 10:11
ENO double nest Hammock
Blizzard Survival Tube
Sweat shirt and Pants

That's it!

Dunk
03-27-2011, 14:23
Hi bigdave, it's good to see someone else trying out, and enjoying, the Blizzard Tube. I like your pics. To other people reading, these things are not the same as the thin mylar survival blanket/tubes. They are better designed and a lot more robust.

I've did a review a few months ago on mine
H7TbYRNlCEc

and posted another vid earlier this week of another night last weekend.
XqSZO6WgL24

Dave: how do you repack yours and how small have you managed to get it back to.

03-27-2011, 20:05
two answers.... I have a compression sack that i can get to the size of of a Rugby ball and I've been testing a space saver travel bag http://www.amazon.com/Compressible-Vacuum-Seal-Travel-Roll-Bags/dp/B0009VCB6Q/ref=pd_sim_k_3 .

It packs into a space about the a large coffee table book. For me it's about which will fit better into my pack.....

Dunk
03-28-2011, 16:47
Whenever you've had condensation inside the tube, where has the dampness been? When I've noticed some it's been at the foot end, underneath my feet. The parts around my body are always bone dry. I was thinking that it may be the warm air cools at this end as it's furthest from a heat source, my body, and so condenses. Since the tube has plenty of room around you the slight damp never comes into contact with anything anyway so is no a problem as it then can be aired out.

03-28-2011, 16:56
It was on the tube over my mid section but not on my body..This has happened once in 25 nights..I live in San Diego and the humidity is very low here....

G.L.P.
03-28-2011, 20:17
like i said on the east coast or areas with high humidity your going to have lots of problems with condensation ... this is why you don't see alot of ppl trying to use them

quilts will not have a condensation problems since the breathe and pads are alot easier to regulate for condensation problems
alot of the problem is the lack of airflow ... the tube does not breathe at all
and your breath does not help when you have it closed up around you
and if you have it opened up to breathe all your heat will go out with the wind since there is no where for the hot air to sit like a quilt holds the hot air against you ....
so there is no real way to fix the condensation problems you will have in temps below 32F in the west and most of the year in the east or in areas with high humidity once you see condensation set in your going to have to regulate the airflow...so you will be opening and closing the tube all night long ....
i'm not knocking the idea...i'm just stating facts like i said alot of us have tried this...;) i remember when i first started out with hammocks i couldn't bring myself to spend that much on a UQ .... but they are the best option out there right now ... if you can figure out a way to make this work at all temps without condensation problems that would be cool to see... but i don't see it happening :cool:
that and i don't want to see someone wake up miles from home all wet and cold with no way to get warm...it's just not something you want to happen while on the trail ;)

G.L.P.
03-28-2011, 20:25
also have the 2 of ya's tried IX ..... might be worth a try if you are trying to stay warm on the cheap ....
you can get a few yards of it and make an UQ out of it .... would be a $40 UQ that will be alot better when it comes to condensation ...

just some ideas for ya to try ;)

03-29-2011, 09:16
Below 32 in San Diego????? If it is ,there is no way in hell I'm hanging...

I don't need to try anything else because the Tube works for me.

I'm no engineer, but I think because I can't make the holes on the end the same size, I always get a small airflow through the tube, which prevents condensation from building up.

It seems you are taking experiences from other systems and applying them to the Survival Tube that frankly don't apply.....

FYI.. another comfy night in the Tube last night... Low temp 50....

G.L.P.
03-29-2011, 13:57
Below 32 in San Diego????? If it is ,there is no way in hell I'm hanging...

I don't need to try anything else because the Tube works for me.

I'm no engineer, but I think because I can't make the holes on the end the same size, I always get a small airflow through the tube, which prevents condensation from building up.

It seems you are taking experiences from other systems and applying them to the Survival Tube that frankly don't apply.....

FYI.. another comfy night in the Tube last night... Low temp 50....

no i have used one...and on the east coast i had really bad condensation problems ... i tried one about 3 years ago and like i said...there is a reason lots of hangers don't use them ;)
can they work for some sure ...but it's not a replacement for an UQ ...not by a long shot :cool:
i lived in Hemet CA for 2 years back in 2000 ...i miss the weather alot
and earthquakes LOL ....

Dunk
03-29-2011, 15:14
I don't know about Dave, but I don't use it with my head inside it. I have it pulled tight under my chin and around the back of my shoulders.

I quite like the look of insultex (don't know how accessible it is here in the UK) but I love down and idea of a lovely, thick down UQ seems heavenly to me. If I used my hammock more than I do then I'd definitely get myself one.

G.L.P.
03-29-2011, 18:22
I don't know about Dave, but I don't use it with my head inside it. I have it pulled tight under my chin and around the back of my shoulders.

I quite like the look of insultex (don't know how accessible it is here in the UK) but I love down and idea of a lovely, thick down UQ seems heavenly to me. If I used my hammock more than I do then I'd definitely get myself one.

IX is pretty cheap and 3 layers will get you down to freezing no problem...
i know a few of the vendors ship outside the US...might want to ask around

i like the survival tube idea when i was using it but the condensation was bad
and i know my one buddy tried it as well and his wasn't as bad as mine but he still had some .....
IX is really easy to work with and there are lots of great threads on it if you do a search you could make a nice UQ for under $50