PDA

View Full Version : Big South Fork Hike and Hang

rasputen
01-20-2008, 14:11
Needing some trail time..:)

Looking to hike and hang the Big South Fork the weekend of Feb 9/10th. Anyone want to join me? HC4U originally posted a possible hang. Given that this is my only weekend in the month of February to make it, and the fact that the 9/10th is only a short time away I thought I would make an open invitation to anyone interested?

No finalized plans yet but it looks like I will make it to the park early Friday afternoon and would like to hike in set up camp, hike Saturday and setup camp, then hike out on Sunday... Hike distance and route can be tailored to group agreement. All suggestions are appreciated. If anyone wants to come along or has an idea for a great hike route feel free to chime in.... Here's to hoping it snows!! :D

Mule
01-20-2008, 15:08
Count me in. Mule

hangnout
01-20-2008, 15:19
I am in. I already was going that weekend with a friend I got into hammocking from Atlanta. Your trip description is what we were planning. Do you have a specific area you want to hike?

headchange4u
01-20-2008, 15:33
Date looks good to me. I should be able to make it. Do we want to try and stay at Bandy Creek Campground, at the one of the group sites, or do we want to hike in somewhere?

rasputen
01-20-2008, 15:45
Count me in. Mule

Cool......

Your trip description is what we were planning. Do you have a specific area you want to hike?

No I haven't fully decided on a hiking route. I wanted to leave it open to suggestions. I will give it some thought. I haven't spent much time in the BSF and if you guys have any ideas I'm all ears..

Date looks good to me. I should be able to make it. Do we want to try and stay at Bandy Creek Campground, at the one of the group sites, or do we want to hike in somewhere?

I was thinking hike in and hang. If everyone else wants to base at Bandy Creek and hike in and return back to Bandy at the end of the day I'm game....

Nest
01-20-2008, 16:14
Thinking I will be there too. Probably my last chance for a hangout before my thru.

headchange4u
01-20-2008, 17:27
The only part that I am familiar with is hiking from the Leatherwood Ford Trailhead (LFT) down to the O&W Bridge, start of the John Muir Trail. Going south is a pretty easy 2.3 mile hike to the O&W Bridge. I know there are a couple of established camp sites(fire ring and benches) right before the bridge. I remember a huge rock blocking the trail. If memory serves, this would make a nice spot for a group.

Going north will take you to Angel falls.

Perhaps someone more familiar with the BSF can chime in here.

hangnout
01-20-2008, 18:54
I was thinking hike in and hang. If everyone else wants to base at Bandy Creek and hike in and return back to Bandy at the end of the day I'm game....

Maybe a combo of both ideas. Anyone that wanted to could hike and hang on Friday night then head toward a group hanging spot for Saturday night.

Mule
01-20-2008, 19:31
That sounds good to me. As long as I'm going to be spending gas money I may as well get more nights in the woods for the trouble. I used to hike and camp in the winter on the trail that goes to Cathedral Rock. Mule

Coffee
01-21-2008, 11:23
I am in. I already was going that weekend with a friend I got into hammocking from Atlanta. Your trip description is what we were planning. Do you have a specific area you want to hike?

I just relocated to Atlanta. If my schedule is free and there is an extra spot in a car I am up for it.

rasputen
01-21-2008, 12:08
Maybe a combo of both ideas. Anyone that wanted to could hike and hang on Friday night then head toward a group hanging spot for Saturday night.

Sounds good to me...

I just relocated to Atlanta. If my schedule is free and there is an extra spot in a car I am up for it.

Hope to see you there HE. Followed your TJ..Congrats on your thru...
I'm still trying to work on getting off work early Friday? Might have to do a little "night hiking" to meet up with you guys if I can't get off early but that wouldn't be the first time! I'll have a little better idea the closer we get to the date.

hangnout
01-21-2008, 18:49

He may leave on Thursday afternoon and meet me that evening in Monterey, TN (a little over an hour from the park). Plenty of room at the cabin even a back porch to hang on but you can't have my hanging spot:D I think they may even be beds in the cabin :D He would be returning on Sunday after we get done. PM me if this works for you.

Coffee
01-21-2008, 20:19
Thanks. I kind of have to backout of semi-plans I made if I go to this weekends campout since I can't read a calender. If I can make it to this one it will be a last minute thing.

headchange4u
01-22-2008, 21:31
Did we ever decide where we are holding the hang out?

rasputen
01-23-2008, 06:57
Did we ever decide where we are holding the hang out?

Here's a tenative plan. If too ambitious we can taylor to suit the gang.

Fri- Park at Bandy Creek Campground. Hike up the Litton Farm Loop to the intersection of Litton and Fall Branch Trial(2.8 miles). Find a suitable site and set up camp. From what I have read and looking at the map there is water and camp sites in the area or we can find our own spot to hang(I like this one better).

Sat- Open to new site location. Or,we can day hike out from this site.

Any suggestions? Feel free to add your own thoughts........

http://www.outragegis.com/bigsouthfork/

*I ordered a map of the area and should get it in a few days and will bring it with me.

rasputen
01-23-2008, 22:03
Ok guys, I have been talking with HANGnOUT by "PM" and he has a much more intimate knowledge of the BSF and has some ideas for the Hang and hike.

So far we have:
Rasputen
HC4U
Cerberus
HANGnOUT
skskinner

Here's the question? What do you guys have in mind and who's coming on what day? (Fri/Sat)?

A. Set up camp at a close location to the vehicles and spend the day at camp and maybe some hiking involved?

B. Hike into the backcountry with no particular attention to a base camp and mucho flexability and adventurous hikes?

C. Hike into the backcountry and set up a base camp with some hiking involved?

D. Hang out at the campground and have catered meals and a good ole fashion hillbilly band intoxicate you with banjo's until the wee hours of the morning?

* My choice is B
*After everyone votes we will let the majority rule.:)

Nest
01-23-2008, 22:42
I can be there anytime Friday. I kind of like option B too. Only thing is that we have to take everyone's hiking ability into consideration.

rasputen
01-23-2008, 23:09
I can be there anytime Friday. I kind of like option B too. Only thing is that we have to take everyone's hiking ability into consideration.

Yea, this is just a "feeler" to see what others have in mind. One thing is for sure, no stress and no agenda's! Just a layed back couple of hanging/hiking days. Nap all day in the hammock or hike to an overlook its all good!!:)

hangnout
01-24-2008, 07:34
Option B but open to any option even D if "Jack" is there.

headchange4u
01-24-2008, 11:15
Option B may be a bit of a problem for anyone who is just going to be there for Saturday.

I am trying to get off on Friday but just to be on the safe side I will say that I coming just for Saturday at the moment.

rasputen
01-24-2008, 12:33
Option B may be a bit of a problem for anyone who is just going to be there for Saturday.

No problem HC. I have to work Friday morning also and hope to get to the hang site that afternoon,even if that requires some night hiking(I don't expect to though).

The hang sites shouldn't be any more than 2-3 miles from a major parking area. If you want to come in Friday evening/night I will hike to the trial head and hike back to camp with you(just so you don't miss the camp site or miss any of the fun and frivolity:D ). No hand holding though! :p If this works for you let me know approx what time you will arrive. If Saturday, you can meet us at camp that morning. Sould be less than an hour of hiking...

HANGnOUT is off Friday and very familiar with the area. He has some good suggestions on hang sites.

Once everthing is finalized I will post camp locations for Friday and Saturday.

* If anyone cannot or does not want to hike-in we can always change plans.:)

headchange4u
01-24-2008, 16:24
No problem HC. I have to work Friday morning also and hope to get to the hang site that afternoon,even if that requires some night hiking(I don't expect to though).

The hang sites shouldn't be any more than 2-3 miles from a major parking area. If you want to come in Friday evening/night I will hike to the trial head and hike back to camp with you(just so you don't miss the camp site or miss any of the fun and frivolity:D ). No hand holding though! :p If this works for you let me know approx what time you will arrive. If Saturday, you can meet us at camp that morning. Sould be less than an hour of hiking...

HANGnOUT is off Friday and very familiar with the area. He has some good suggestions on hang sites.

Once everthing is finalized I will post camp locations for Friday and Saturday.

* If anyone cannot or does not want to hike-in we can always change plans.:)

No need to hike all the way back to the trail head. I may have you just meet me on the trail at a certain point or mileage and follow you back to the campsite. If you are like me, you tend to camp way off the trail for privacy. We can finalize things as the time approaches. I may be off Friday by then.

hangnout
01-24-2008, 20:53
Rasputen asked me to see what everyone thinks about this trip. The 2 miles from the first camp to the arches is mostly rock bluffs and scenic. The rest of the trail is standard woods, creeks, etc. The trail to the river is a multi-use (horses) trail that is an old road bed.

Friday
We could camp the first night near Jakes Place on the Twin Arches Loop (Plenty of trees, creeks, and unofficial campsites). The hike to this site can be less than 2 miles or there are several longer routes in.

Saturday
The Twin Arches are about 2 miles on a scenic trail with rock bluffs etc from the camp. If we continued on the Twin Arch Loop you would come out at Charit Creek and could continue on Station Camp Creek Trail towards the river. I saw a good group campsite on this trail about a mile from Charit Creek the last time I hiked it. I would have to look at the map to check mileage but estimate about 5 miles from camp to camp. If you wanted more hiking anyone could hike from the second camp to the river for about a additional 6 mile roundtrip. Also if someone did not want to hike to the arches they could hang out at the first camp then meet us at Charit Creek/Station Camp Trailhead to go to the second night. They would only have to hike about 2-3 miles total.

Sunday
Sunday morning would be 2-3 miles to the car with plenty of additional hiking available if someone wanted more.

We also discussed an alternative that would allow anyone to join in on Saturday at or near Bandy Creek Campground and only an easy 2 mile hike along the river on Friday to camp. It would allow an extended Saturday hike from camp to camp or a short hike and car drive (your choice). If anyone wants to drive in or have limited hiking this would be a good choice. If we choose this option some help to get the cars shuttled (about 20 minutes) would be nice:D

I think everyone going is flexible enough to accomodate what gets the most people out to a hang so chime in. I just made some suggestions since I have hiked in the area not trying to set the agenda.

hangnout
01-24-2008, 21:13
So far we have:
Rasputen
HC4U
Cerberus
HANGnOUT
skskinner

I will have 1 or 2 additional with me. One starting hammocking last year and the other is a fair weather hammocker so he may be in a tent so don't be too hard on him:D

rasputen
01-24-2008, 21:52
No need to hike all the way back to the trail head. I may have you just meet me on the trail at a certain point or mileage and follow you back to the campsite.

You got it! Glad to help in any way....

I will have 1 or 2 additional with me. One starting hammocking last year and the other is a fair weather hammocker so he may be in a tent so don't be too hard on him:D

Thanks for posting the info HnO,

BTW- 5 is a party... 6 or 7 is a fiesta with the tent as a pinata...:D

Mule
01-25-2008, 00:53
Rasputen asked me to see what everyone thinks about this trip. The 2 miles from the first camp to the arches is mostly rock bluffs and scenic. The rest of the trail is standard woods, creeks, etc. The trail to the river is a multi-use (horses) trail that is an old road bed.

Friday
We could camp the first night near Jakes Place on the Twin Arches Loop (Plenty of trees, creeks, and unofficial campsites). The hike to this site can be less than 2 miles or there are several longer routes in.

Saturday
The Twin Arches are about 2 miles on a scenic trail with rock bluffs etc from the camp. If we continued on the Twin Arch Loop you would come out at Charit Creek and could continue on Station Camp Creek Trail towards the river. I saw a good group campsite on this trail about a mile from Charit Creek the last time I hiked it. I would have to look at the map to check mileage but estimate about 5 miles from camp to camp. If you wanted more hiking anyone could hike from the second camp to the river for about a additional 6 mile roundtrip. Also if someone did not want to hike to the arches they could hang out at the first camp then meet us at Charit Creek/Station Camp Trailhead to go to the second night. They would only have to hike about 2-3 miles total.

Sunday
Sunday morning would be 2-3 miles to the car with plenty of additional hiking available if someone wanted more.

We also discussed an alternative that would allow anyone to join in on Saturday at or near Bandy Creek Campground and only an easy 2 mile hike along the river on Friday to camp. It would allow an extended Saturday hike from camp to camp or a short hike and car drive (your choice). If anyone wants to drive in or have limited hiking this would be a good choice. If we choose this option some help to get the cars shuttled (about 20 minutes) would be nice:D

I think everyone going is flexible enough to accomodate what gets the most people out to a hang so chime in. I just made some suggestions since I have hiked in the area not trying to set the agenda.
I have been to Jake's place, really beautiful around there. My son's name is Jake and I have pictures of him leaning on the sign looking cool.
The horse trails suck in that area, or they used to suck real bad. Literally suck the boots off your feet. It was really hard to hike a 7 or 8 mile loop out of the Hostel on those horse trails. We were all exhausted from bushwhacking right next to the horse mud trail. It will be fun, no matter what.

Mule
01-25-2008, 00:58
Ok guys, I have been talking with HANGnOUT by "PM" and he has a much more intimate knowledge of the BSF and has some ideas for the Hang and hike.

So far we have:
Rasputen
HC4U
Cerberus
HANGnOUT
skskinner

Here's the question? What do you guys have in mind and who's coming on what day? (Fri/Sat)?

A. Set up camp at a close location to the vehicles and spend the day at camp and maybe some hiking involved?

B. Hike into the backcountry with no particular attention to a base camp and mucho flexability and adventurous hikes?

C. Hike into the backcountry and set up a base camp with some hiking involved?

D. Hang out at the campground and have catered meals and a good ole fashion hillbilly band intoxicate you with banjo's until the wee hours of the morning?

* My choice is B
*After everyone votes we will let the majority rule.:)
B sounds best to me.

hangnout
01-25-2008, 08:16
I have been to Jake's place, really beautiful around there. My son's name is Jake and I have pictures of him leaning on the sign looking cool.
The horse trails suck in that area, or they used to suck real bad. Literally suck the boots off your feet. It was really hard to hike a 7 or 8 mile loop out of the Hostel on those horse trails. We were all exhausted from bushwhacking right next to the horse mud trail. It will be fun, no matter what.

Yeah, I know what you mean about the horse trails. I avoided the Station Camp Creek trail for years because of what you mentioned but when I was there last March it was not bad at all. They have been doing more trail maintainence it looded like. We were hiking a big loop from Laurel Creek and had to hike Station Camp from the river to complete. We would not be on this multi-use trail for long (1 mile?) to get the second nights camp area. No guarantees:D and we can always make it up on the second night. Looking forward to seeing you there.

neo
01-25-2008, 08:28
Needing some trail time..:)

Looking to hike and hang the Big South Fork the weekend of Feb 9/10th. Anyone want to join me? HC4U originally posted a possible hang. Given that this is my only weekend in the month of February to make it, and the fact that the 9/10th is only a short time away I thought I would make an open invitation to anyone interested?

No finalized plans yet but it looks like I will make it to the park early Friday afternoon and would like to hike in set up camp, hike Saturday and setup camp, then hike out on Sunday... Hike distance and route can be tailored to group agreement. All suggestions are appreciated. If anyone wants to come along or has an idea for a great hike route feel free to chime in.... Here's to hoping it snows!! :D

sounds good to me i me and my boys will be there then.:cool: neo

Mule
01-25-2008, 08:45
Yeah, I know what you mean about the horse trails. I avoided the Station Camp Creek trail for years because of what you mentioned but when I was there last March it was not bad at all. They have been doing more trail maintainence it looded like. We were hiking a big loop from Laurel Creek and had to hike Station Camp from the river to complete. We would not be on this multi-use trail for long (1 mile?) to get the second nights camp area. No guarantees:D and we can always make it up on the second night. Looking forward to seeing you there.
That sounds good, and I see above that Neo will be there. That makes it all the better. I am not sure exactly where we are meeting, etc., but I am also looking forward to it.

rasputen
01-25-2008, 13:53
sounds good to me i me and my boys will be there then.:cool: neo

Great to see that you and the boys are going to make it neo. Always good to have some youngblood around to help keep us old guys feeling younger:cool:

I am not sure exactly where we are meeting, etc., but I am also looking forward to it.

Friday Night hang site is at Jake's Place.. Northwest of Bandy Creek Campground.. HANGnOUT can elaborate if needed...:)

Mule
01-25-2008, 14:29
For us Northern Flatlanders, does anyone know a business address or have a small town or something that I could get my GPS around to get me to the parking lot? Thanks, Steve

headchange4u
01-25-2008, 14:56
You can buy the entire GPS map of the BSF area, including all the trails, here (http://www.outragegis.com/store/home.php?cat=8). The outrageGIS site sell THE BEST for KY and

hangnout
01-25-2008, 19:13
For us Northern Flatlanders, does anyone know a business address or have a small town or something that I could get my GPS around to get me to the parking lot? Thanks, Steve

The closest town to the trailhead is Jamestown, TN (Fentress County). No matter how you come in at some point you will be on Hwy. 127. (If anyone is coming from the east you may come across 297 and past Bandy Creek Campground. Hwy 297 dead ends into Hwy 154, turn right and pick up the directions below from that point.)

Hwy 127 North out of Jamestown to Hwy 154 (Close to town)
Hwy 154 to Divide Rd on right (About 10 miles? Divide Rd is hard packed gravel road. If you get to Pickett State Park entrance you have gone a couple miles too far.)
Divide Rd to Fork Ridge Rd on right (Just follow signs to Charit Creek at this point)
Charit Creek Trailhead is the last parking area. You can take a longer hike in by using other trailheads on this road before you get to Charit Creek trailhead.

If you are running late on Friday or arriving early on Saturday, just hike the service road out of the trailhead parking lot till it crosses the creek and turn left on the trail on the other side of creek. This will save a mile on the hike in. Everyone else can take the trail to Charit Creek. It will take you close to the hostel then you will turn left after you cross the foot bridge towards Jakes Place on the Twin arch loop trail.

Link to map of this area on park website
http://www.nps.gov/biso/planyourvisit/upload/4.pdf

Mule
01-25-2008, 21:53
The closest town to the trailhead is Jamestown, TN (Fentress County). No matter how you come in at some point you will be on Hwy. 127. (If anyone is coming from the east you may come across 297 and past Bandy Creek Campground. Hwy 297 dead ends into Hwy 154, turn right and pick up the directions below from that point.)

Hwy 127 North out of Jamestown to Hwy 154 (Close to town)
Hwy 154 to Divide Rd on right (About 10 miles? Divide Rd is hard packed gravel road. If you get to Pickett State Park entrance you have gone a couple miles too far.)
Divide Rd to Fork Ridge Rd on right (Just follow signs to Charit Creek at this point)
Charit Creek Trailhead is the last parking area. You can take a longer hike in by using other trailheads on this road before you get to Charit Creek trailhead.

If you are running late on Friday or arriving early on Saturday, just hike the service road out of the trailhead parking lot till it crosses the creek and turn left on the trail on the other side of creek. This will save a mile on the hike in. Everyone else can take the trail to Charit Creek. It will take you close to the hostel then you will turn left after you cross the foot bridge towards Jakes Place on the Twin arch loop trail.

Link to map of this area on park website
http://www.nps.gov/biso/planyourvisit/upload/4.pdf
Thanks, that is a great help. I have been there a few times before, but it's been years.

hangnout
02-01-2008, 19:33
Week to go, anybody else thinking of coming? I have enough hammocks and tarps to set a couple people up if you want to come but don't have anything to hang in. You have to haul it in!:D

Coffee
02-01-2008, 22:14
I am going to have to back out. Life is getting in the way right now.

rasputen
02-02-2008, 09:24
Guys, I hate to say it, but I can't even make it to my own party! This is the first time I have ever had to cancel a trip. Sorry...:(

Was really looking forward to hanging with you all. On a positive note the following weekend has opened up(16/17) and if anyone wants to join me I welcome the company. I will be hanging and hiking the same area arriving Friday afternoon at Jake's Place. See you there if you can make it.

* Thanks HANGnOUT for all the effort....

Mule
02-02-2008, 13:09
Mule won't be making it. Sorry to miss meeting all of you.

headchange4u
02-02-2008, 14:02
I can't make it until Saturday. If I don't get my heating issues worked out here at the house, I may not be able to make it at all.

Nest
02-02-2008, 15:21
We're fallin like dominoes! I can't make it either. Had something come up today, and my attendance is needed elsewhere.

rasputen
02-03-2008, 12:07
We're fallin like dominoes! I can't make it either. Had something come up today, and my attendance is needed elsewhere.

Wow, looks like I was not going to have much company on this trip as it turns out...

I am still going to make the next weekend so if your interested let me know..

hangnout
02-03-2008, 12:28
I was planning to be in this area already before rasputen posted for a group hike. I think I may be the only one still going so I am going back to my original plans of a backcountry hike that just happens as I go. If anyone wants to meet at a particular place on Saturday night let me know and I will work it into my hike. I will be going in sometime Friday if anyone wants to join up. Maybe we can work another one up for the spring.

rasputen
02-03-2008, 23:15
Maybe we can work another one up for the spring.

I'm in for a Spring hang!

hangnout
02-10-2008, 21:15
This did not work out as a group hang/hike but I thought I would update anyway for anyone going to the area.

It was a great weekend to hike and hang.

Friday- Parked at Charit Creek and hiked 2 miles to Laurel Fork trailhead and continued on Laurel Fork Creek trail about another 1.5 miles. I have hiked in the BSF for years and this trail has to be one of the best yet. Be prepared for a couple deep creek crossings or some serious off trail navigating. We chose the latter and avoided the crossings. We had fun on the off trail excursion but I would suggest being prepared and just get cold and wet for a few minutes. We hiked another hour or so and set up camp in a scenic area near the creek. Below are some of the pics from the camp area and Laurel Fork Creek trail.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/1/6/bsflaurel3.jpg

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/1/6/bsflaurel1.jpg

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/1/6/bsfbrian.jpg

Some shots of hammocks set up first night. My hiking buddy uses the Claytor and SG tarp. I used my cuben tarp and a new DIY hammock and sock combo. It was my first trip 100% DIY for tarp and hammock:D

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/1/6/bsfclaytor.jpg

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/1/6/bsfcuben.jpg

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/1/6/bsfdiyhammock.jpg

Saturday - We hiked about 9 miles from the first camp site. We continued on Laurel Creek to the Big South Fork of the Cumberland river then up Station Camp creek past Charit Creek Lodge to Jakes Place on the Twin Arches Loop. There are multiple wide creek crossings on Station Camp Creek and you will get wet. The weather was great and we did not see any other hikers but did see a couple hunters on the trail. The second night camp was welcome and the night was a little colder so it was a good test for the DIY sock and hammock.

Sunday - Couple miles out but the last mile is basically straight up so it is a good end to the hike. Wish we could have spent another day but hiking buddy came from Atlanta and needed to get back earlier.

Looking forward to getting a group hangout in the area:D

slowhike
02-10-2008, 21:32
great looking place. i love those mountain streams!

rasputen
02-10-2008, 21:47
Great report and pics. You covered some of the same ground that I am solo hiking this coming weekend! I am starting at Slave Falls Trail Head (Sawmill) and hiking a big loop by way of Twin Arches Trial to Laural Fork and around to Station Camp Creek and back to Slave Falls. Glad you guys had a good trip!

* If anyone wants to join me,come on down...or up.? Would love to have the company.....

neo
02-10-2008, 21:53
This did not work out as a group hang/hike but I thought I would update anyway for anyone going to the area.

It was a great weekend to hike and hang.

Friday- Parked at Charit Creek and hiked 2 miles to Laurel Fork trailhead and continued on Laurel Fork Creek trail about another 1.5 miles. I have hiked in the BSF for years and this trail has to be one of the best yet. Be prepared for a couple deep creek crossings or some serious off trail navigating. We chose the latter and avoided the crossings. We had fun on the off trail excursion but I would suggest being prepared and just get cold and wet for a few minutes. We hiked another hour or so and set up camp in a scenic area near the creek. Below are some of the pics from the camp area and Laurel Fork Creek trail.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/1/6/bsflaurel3.jpg

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/1/6/bsflaurel1.jpg

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/1/6/bsfbrian.jpg

Some shots of hammocks set up first night. My hiking buddy uses the Claytor and SG tarp. I used my cuben tarp and a new DIY hammock and sock combo. It was my first trip 100% DIY for tarp and hammock:D

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/1/6/bsfclaytor.jpg

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/1/6/bsfcuben.jpg

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/1/6/bsfdiyhammock.jpg

Saturday - We hiked about 9 miles from the first camp site. We continued on Laurel Creek to the Big South Fork of the Cumberland river then up Station Camp creek past Charit Creek Lodge to Jakes Place on the Twin Arches Loop. There are multiple wide creek crossings on Station Camp Creek and you will get wet. The weather was great and we did not see any other hikers but did see a couple hunters on the trail. The second night camp was welcome and the night was a little colder so it was a good test for the DIY sock and hammock.

Sunday - Couple miles out but the last mile is basically straight up so it is a good end to the hike. Wish we could have spent another day but hiking buddy came from Atlanta and needed to get back earlier.

Looking forward to getting a group hangout in the area:D

:) great pictures and trip report:cool: neo

hangnout
02-10-2008, 22:21
Great report and pics. You covered some of the same ground that I am solo hiking this coming weekend! I am starting at Slave Falls Trail Head (Sawmill) and hiking a big loop by way of Twin Arches Trial to Laural Fork and around to Station Camp Creek and back to Slave Falls. Glad you guys had a good trip!

* If anyone wants to join me,come on down...or up.? Would love to have the company.....

I wonder if I would get divorced or fired for going two weekends in a row. . . . .:) Take some water type shoes for the creek crossings. There are several wide creek crossings on Laurel Fork and Station Camp creeks and the water was up this weekend.

BillyBob58
02-10-2008, 23:12
This looks absolutely great. I have got to try this place out. Is that as good a swimming hole as it looks?

rasputen
02-11-2008, 07:16
I wonder if I would get divorced or fired for going two weekends in a row. . . . .:) Take some water type shoes for the creek crossings. There are several wide creek crossings on Laurel Fork and Station Camp creeks and the water was up this weekend.

Come on,you only live once! If you get divorced or fired you will have more time for hiking and hanging!:D

I have croc(knock-offs) that have seen many a stream bottom.

Cannibal
02-11-2008, 07:33
Beautiful area; looks like a great trip!

hangnout
02-11-2008, 07:52
This looks absolutely great. I have got to try this place out. Is that as good a swimming hole as it looks?

Yep, but we were not tempted to go in :D

Come on,you only live once! If you get divorced or fired you will have more time for hiking and hanging!:D

Hmmm, lets see how work goes. The wife is pretty good about these things:)

headchange4u
02-12-2008, 11:33
That area looks beautiful. Great pics. Sorry I missed out. I've been laid up with the flu for the past 4 days.

rasputen
02-17-2008, 22:39
The Big South Fork delivered on my expectations. It was an awesome couple of days with great weather and no foot or animal traffic to be seen. Of all the trials that I hiked the Twin Arches Trail was the highlight with great scenery and massive sandstone formations. I got a little taste of what the Park has to offer and look forward to exploring other areas.

On this trip I took my new Speer and MacCat Deluxe. What can I say, I had ample coverage and a great nights rest. The new gravity filter was most excellent and I never had to worry about pumping or running out of water! There have been times where I would ration water so I would not have to pump! Not any more.:D

Not a detailed summery but I've had a long day. Enjoy the pics......

* When I got back to the trial head to go home a couple had just gotten engaged at "Slave Falls". I told him from this day forward he IS a slave, then congratulated them and gave him a cigar!

hangnout
02-17-2008, 22:45
Glad to see you had a great trip! The two miles between Jakes Place and the Arches is some of the most scenic in the park.

rasputen
02-17-2008, 22:55
Glad to see you had a great trip! The two miles between Jakes Place and the Arches is some of the most scenic in the park.

Absolutely! Looking forward to taking the kids up this spring. If your still interested we can plan something in a few months? Wish you could have made this one. I most likely would not have been able to swing two weekends in a row either........

slowhike
02-17-2008, 23:19
awesome place! i hope i can make it out there some day.

neo
02-18-2008, 07:48
The Big South Fork delivered on my expectations. It was an awesome couple of days with great weather and no foot or animal traffic to be seen. Of all the trials that I hiked the Twin Arches Trail was the highlight with great scenery and massive sandstone formations. I got a little taste of what the Park has to offer and look forward to exploring other areas.

On this trip I took my new Speer and MacCat Deluxe. What can I say, I had ample coverage and a great nights rest. The new gravity filter was most excellent and I never had to worry about pumping or running out of water! There have been times where I would ration water so I would not have to pump! Not any more.:D

Not a detailed summery but I've had a long day. Enjoy the pics......

* When I got back to the trial head to go home a couple had just gotten engaged at "Slave Falls". I told him from this day forward he IS a slave, then congratulated them and gave him a cigar!

great pic bro:cool: neo

headchange4u
02-18-2008, 11:27
Great pis and beautiful scenery.

hangnout
02-18-2008, 19:18
Absolutely! Looking forward to taking the kids up this spring. If your still interested we can plan something in a few months? Wish you could have made this one. I most likely would not have been able to swing two weekends in a row either........

I am up for a trip just about anytime that wife, life, work, kids, etc doesn't get in the way:D Just let me know when you want to go. I also was planning on taking my 6 yr old there this spring.

Anyone want to go in March?

rasputen
02-21-2008, 11:43
I am up for a trip just about anytime that wife, life, work, kids, etc doesn't get in the way:D Just let me know when you want to go. I also was planning on taking my 6 yr old there this spring.

Anyone want to go in March?

Is the March trip with or with out kids? I'll have to check my schedule to see what I have free. What dates are you looking at?

hangnout
02-21-2008, 19:44
Is the March trip with or with out kids? I'll have to check my schedule to see what I have free. What dates are you looking at?

Weather is a little bit fickle in March so I was thinking "with out" in March. I am open to about any dates at this time.