PDA

View Full Version : which fabric where

jbentley
01-21-2008, 11:37
i want to make a double bottom hammock so i can insert a pad in between the layers if needed. for staying warm and dry from condensation which fabric goes where? sinylon on bottom and breathable on top, my guess, or what? i am so new to hammocks that this will be my first, when i get it finished. i have sewed my tents and other equip. for several years though, and have found that to get the best and lightest is to do it yourself, but most of the time you can do even better if you ask advice from people who know something about it. thanksJB

headchange4u
01-21-2008, 12:10
It's generally agreed the water proof fabric is not the best choice for a hammock body. If you did want to use sil I would use it on the outer most layer of a double hammock.

BTW,

welcome to Hammock Forums

skar578
01-21-2008, 13:14
well, with a CCF a breathable bottom fabric is moot. But I would not suggest non breathable materials in case you ever want to go without the pad of upgrade to underquilts.

GrizzlyAdams
01-21-2008, 16:54
when I built my current version of my bridge I wanted to do a double bodied one, but I didn't have enough 1.1 oz fabric. I did have sil though. So I thought about it and decided to hedge my bets and make a second but independent underbody from that sil. If it didn't work out I wouldn't be stuck with a useless hammock.

Somewhat to my surprise and relief it has worked out, at least in the temps of late fall and early winter. Of late I'm using a pad only for my legs. The upper portion is insulated with an UQ doubled back. So most of my contact with the hammock is the inner body pressed up onto the sil. I'm comfortable and I've not noticed condensation or puddles of sweat, whatever.

Not sure I'd do it again, but I seem to have gotten away with it this time.

Grizz

ZDP-189
01-21-2008, 23:26
I recommend all breathable fabrics, unless it's a free slung tarp. The inner layer must be wicking and the outer layer needs not be load bearing.

Bulldog
01-29-2008, 10:54
I would say, 1.1 is probably the most popular choice with double layered hammocks. I have two made out of the stuff. I also was thinking of maybe something like Momentum90 for a layer. I don't know how strong it would be as well as it could become an expensive failure (momentum90's not cheap). Maybe 1.9 and Momentum90. I have a 1.9 oz rip + 1.1 oz rip double layered hammock as well (to hold my heavy body), but if I were lighter (working on that) I might consider 1.9+Momentum90 or 1.1+Momentum90. Just a thought.

stoikurt
01-29-2008, 21:48
[QUOTE=skar578;46336]well, with a CCF a breathable bottom fabric is moot. QUOTE]

Not necessarily. Most pads will not wrap as far around you as the hammock material might so they provide more room for the moisture to escape.

Coffee
01-30-2008, 10:35
I would say, 1.1 is probably the most popular choice with double layered hammocks. I have two made out of the stuff. I also was thinking of maybe something like Momentum90 for a layer. I don't know how strong it would be as well as it could become an expensive failure (momentum90's not cheap). Maybe 1.9 and Momentum90. I have a 1.9 oz rip + 1.1 oz rip double layered hammock as well (to hold my heavy body), but if I were lighter (working on that) I might consider 1.9+Momentum90 or 1.1+Momentum90. Just a thought.

I haven't used Mom90 for anything other than a quilt, but I wouldn't trust it. The weight it right around 1oz per square yard.