PDA

View Full Version : Stretch-Side Hammock

Knotty
03-07-2011, 00:15
A while back WV posted about making the sides of a hammock less floppy using a bungee cord. I haven't seen his method but was inspired to experiment with the idea.

One of the complaints people have with the gathered end hammock (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15205) is that the sides are loose and your top quilt, pillow, etc. can easily fall out of the hammock. On one of my gathered ends I added a foot box triangle on one side. It shortened that side and helped keep things in place but limited the hammock to entry and exit only from the opposite side. Sitting on the side w. the foot box risks tearing the stitching and material.

Bungees to the rescue!

An existing gathered end hammock can now be easily modified to become what I'm calling a "stretch-side hammock". The stretch-side tensions the edges, keeps your gear in place and allows you to enter/exit from either side.

The basic idea is to have an adjustable bungee cord run through a 2' section of the hammock's side hem, on both sides of the hammock, at about where a foot box would normally be.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/3/0/1/7/stretch-side_mod.png

Using grosgrain ribbon create two attachment tabs.

The first tab is the one closest to the end (end gather is to the right). Rather than create a bulky knot I used whipping to create a loop in the bungee.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/3/0/1/7/p1000822.jpg
The second tab is a little more than two feet further into the hammock. At this end the bungee goes through a cord lock so you can tension it. A simpler approach is to figure out the length you need and whip an eye on this side as well.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/3/0/1/7/p1000823.jpg
Use a soldering iron or heated pin to burn holes in them hem to feed the bungee through.

Here's the whole two foot section untensioned...
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/3/0/1/7/p1000819.jpg
...and tensioned.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/3/0/1/7/p1000824.jpg

This is my first go at the idea and I'd love to hear about other ways to do it or improve on what's shown here.

Thanks again to WV for coming up with the idea.

BLUEFIN 774
03-07-2011, 00:50
Hey Knotty,

That is a good looking fix to the floppy side problem. Very neat work on the improvement.

DiscoveryDiver
03-07-2011, 00:53
Very Nice...

How do you like the result...? Does it do what you hoped....

...also, how would affect a zippered design...

Knotty
03-07-2011, 00:59
Thanks guys. So far it seems to do exactly what I hoped it would...eliminates floppy sides but you can still sit on the edge.

DD - I think with some creativity you could apply it to a gathered end that had a zippered bug net. Hopefully someone will try.

MAD777
03-07-2011, 06:47
Great work Knotty! It doesn't even look like an after thought.

Fronkey
03-07-2011, 07:05
Just found myself a new project for this weekend. Thanks for posting this.

Fronkey

WV
03-07-2011, 07:25
Well done, Knotty! You just allowed me to scratch one item off my "potential projects" list. :D I like the way you're attaching the bungees to the hammock. I've hand-sewn bungees in similar applications (i. e. - bungee in a tube of fabric), and it's a pain pushing a needle through the elastic core - tough stuff.

We can take the photos to prove it works at MAHHA. Of course, I mean pictures of someone lying in the hammock with the side taut and then sitting in it with the side stretched. :lol:

JerryW
03-07-2011, 08:35
When I read your description, before seeing the pictures, I had a thought. Make the hammock body in three pieces, like an ENO Doublenest(wide center with a narrow strip on each side), but make the side pieces out of a stretchy fabric.

If you sewed them together with the stretchy fabric extended, the hammock would gather on the sides until it was loaded, then it could give, and the stretch would keep the sides tight.

I'm not sure I explained that very well...:confused:

Jerry

ShadowAlpha
03-07-2011, 09:00
looks good!

bloomgorge
03-07-2011, 09:38
very nice idea Knotty,..

the section where you added the shock cord looks like it only runs the length from your shoulders to your thigh, is this correct? does the shock cord add any pressure to your sides?

Knotty
03-07-2011, 10:46
Just found myself a new project for this weekend. Thanks for posting this.

Fronkey
Have fun!

Well done, Knotty! You just allowed me to scratch one item off my "potential projects" list. :D I like the way you're attaching the bungees to the hammock. I've hand-sewn bungees in similar applications (i. e. - bungee in a tube of fabric), and it's a pain pushing a needle through the elastic core - tough stuff.

We can take the photos to prove it works at MAHHA. Of course, I mean pictures of someone lying in the hammock with the side taut and then sitting in it with the side stretched. :lol:
I had tried machine sewing bungee with no success. I'll try to post a video soon.

When I read your description, before seeing the pictures, I had a thought. Make the hammock body in three pieces, like an ENO Doublenest(wide center with a narrow strip on each side), but make the side pieces out of a stretchy fabric.

If you sewed them together with the stretchy fabric extended, the hammock would gather on the sides until it was loaded, then it could give, and the stretch would keep the sides tight.

Jerry
I get it and think it would work. This was just easier and existing hammocks could be modded.

looks good!
Thanks!

very nice idea Knotty,..

the section where you added the shock cord looks like it only runs the length from your shoulders to your thigh, is this correct? does the shock cord add any pressure to your sides?
The distance btw tabs is 2' and it's down by my feet. You could probably locate it anywhere but I didn't want it by my face. And at mid hammock you'd sit on it getting in and out.

Skookum
03-07-2011, 11:20
Good Job Knotty!

I did the same thing to my original Skookum Stealth rig last spring 2010. I liked the results.

This is with the top cover on and sides pulled out. You can see the yellow bungee coming from my whipping.

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq14/riffraffpic/Skookum%20Stealth%20Hammock%20and%20Tarp/e811d3f6-1.jpg

Knotty
03-07-2011, 21:41
Skookum, is your bungee running the full length of the side?

meanmoe
03-08-2011, 08:46

Jerry

That's how you would sew elastic into the waist band of a garment. Clamp the fabric and elastic into the TI foot, pull on the elastic and keep axconsistent pressure on it as you sew the pieces together.

WV
03-08-2011, 23:08
Here's (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=423531&posted=1#post423537) a variation on this idea, addressing the lack of stretch in cuben (CTF3) hammocks.

JayS
03-08-2011, 23:26
Knotty,
Nice belly button on your bubble person model!
Jay

Knotty
03-09-2011, 11:44
Here's (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=423531&posted=1#post423537) a variation on this idea, addressing the lack of stretch in cuben (CTF3) hammocks.
Thinking outside the box as always, aren't you WV?

Knotty,
Nice belly button on your bubble person model!
Jay
Borrowed him from my post about hanging foot high or flat. Apparently the belly button is about the center of gravity for a man.
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=407886&postcount=39

WV
03-09-2011, 14:00
Thinking outside the box as always, aren't you WV?

A habit I picked up keeping bad company (Dutch, Griz, Mac, Gnome, JustJeff, Gargoyle, Knotty ... the list goes on.) :D

Shoreborn
03-09-2011, 17:07
Why burn a hole in the hem? Could you sew some web or rip-stop tabs to the hem and run the cord through those?

gargoyle
03-09-2011, 17:27
A habit I picked up keeping bad company (Dutch, Griz, Mac, Gnome, JustJeff, Gargoyle, Knotty ... the list goes on.) :D

Pointing blame at others, ehh? ;)

Why burn a hole in the hem? Could you sew some web or rip-stop tabs to the hem and run the cord through those?

Couldn't you do a buttonhole? Knowing the location and your hem width, I'd think it could be done prior to rolling the hem. But burning it works. just saying.....

Knotty I'm waiting on pictures of the hammock occupodo?...(tapping foot impatiently:confused:)

Knotty
03-09-2011, 23:30
I did the burn because this is a mod to an existing hammock and it was quick and easy. If starting from scratch I'd probably use the machine to do a button hole.

Hey G...patience is a virtue. :)

Knotty
03-12-2011, 13:46
You asked, so here it is...the video.

d0VfSILeRGs

bigfoot2
03-12-2011, 13:56
Awesome idea! This would work even better for double hammocks, i bet.

BF:cool:

gargoyle
03-12-2011, 14:33
Thanks Knotty

...finally..;):rolleyes:
PS I still like that patio stone work.

WV
03-12-2011, 15:02
Great job, Knotty. You have enlightened us all (and proved your proverb in the process.)

Shug
03-12-2011, 15:12
Your a thinker Knotty! That is a top-notch mod and really makes sense....makes a terrific footbox.
Love those low-tone chimes as well.
Shug

Fronkey
03-12-2011, 15:24
Thanks for the video Knotty. That's an excellent idea and I'm for sure going to mod my hammock with it.

Fronkey

grok
03-12-2011, 23:04
Great mod! and I would kill for that patio! Tell me there is a fire pit in the middle:)

NomadicPsyche
03-12-2011, 23:42
Genius, pure brilliance!!
I am currently making 6 DIY hammocks for a group of friends… Looks like I need to order some more shock cord!!!
Thanks So much for the great Idea!!!

ShadowAlpha
03-12-2011, 23:47
cool mod & very effective!

+1 on the stone work :)

Harstad
09-14-2011, 21:50
Nice mod. I'm going to apply it to my ENO double ASAP. I have never cared for the floppy sides :)

Also considering to use it on my poncho-liner UQ. One at the head end and one at the foot end. To pick up the assym. slack :)

dragon360
09-30-2011, 12:46
How did I miss this?! I really like the idea Knotty.

Aven
09-30-2011, 22:55
Thanks Knotty! I'm planning on doing your mod this weekend.

Knotty
10-05-2011, 19:46
If you want a commercial hammock with this function built in, look at what Wilderness Logics is now offering.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39985

Aven
10-05-2011, 19:54
I did the mod this weekend. It took all of maybe 15 minutes from start to finish. And I've got to say that it was well worth the time. I slept in it for the first time last night and it was great not to have to wrestle with my top quilt, keeping it from going over the edge.

Thanks again Knotty.

MAD777
10-05-2011, 20:41
Well done video of an elegantly simple solution!

StrawHat
11-09-2011, 08:23
I love the idea. Just having a tough time figuring out how I can apply this mod if i build a hammock with bug net.:confused:

Syb
11-09-2011, 09:15
I love the idea. Just having a tough time figuring out how I can apply this mod if i build a hammock with bug net.:confused:
If your bug net is already attached see if you have a channel running down the long side of the hammock. You could always pinch about a half-inch of fabric and create a channel and then do the mod. If you haven't attached your bug net yet, then, you're good to go. You could always do a 1-inch channel and then run a line of stitching in the center of that channel making two separate half-inch channels. Run your shock cord through the lower (inner) channel and then sew your bug net to the outer channel. Voila! I'm thinking of combining this great mod with Hangnout's bug net (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=419923&postcount=1).

SmokeHouse
11-09-2011, 09:17
great job!!!

StrawHat
11-10-2011, 04:54
If your bug net is already attached see if you have a channel running down the long side of the hammock. You could always pinch about a half-inch of fabric and create a channel and then do the mod. If you haven't attached your bug net yet, then, you're good to go. You could always do a 1-inch channel and then run a line of stitching in the center of that channel making two separate half-inch channels. Run your shock cord through the lower (inner) channel and then sew your bug net to the outer channel. Voila! I'm thinking of combining this great mod with Hangnout's bug net (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=419923&postcount=1).

I was just thinking if it would affect the bug net by creating a crumpled section that may cause stress to the other parts of the bug net. And how about the zipper section? It seems that Hangnout's bug net idea will solve this, but i still prefer a side entry with zippers.

Catavarie
11-10-2011, 05:16
I was just thinking if it would affect the bug net by creating a crumpled section that may cause stress to the other parts of the bug net. And how about the zipper section? It seems that Hangnout's bug net idea will solve this, but i still prefer a side entry with zippers.

With a bugnet installed you don't need to add this mod. This is is intended to create a faux footbox that keeps the TQ in the hammock. I've done this to my gathered end hammock and it hasn't affected the lay of it for me, but it has kept me from having to chase my SB over the side of the hammock. Before the mod, I would wake up several time through the night to wrestle the foot end of my SB back into the hammock.

BodhiKnight
12-26-2011, 02:59
Worked great for me, Thanks Knotty!

Knotty
12-29-2011, 17:22
You are very welcome!

gmcttr
01-07-2012, 17:37
I did the stretch side retrofit to my 1.1 DL today. I sewed a tube and sewed that to the hammock edge and ran the shockcord through it.

Worked great...thanks Knotty.

Knotty
01-07-2012, 17:55
I did the stretch side retrofit to my 1.1 DL today. I sewed a tube and sewed that to the hammock edge and ran the shockcord through it.

Now that's smart! My retrofits had me burning a hole in the existing channel and creating attachment points. Your method makes more sense!

Love this forum. Throw out an idea and someone will improve on it.

Chocolatier
04-08-2012, 13:04
Contemplating this mod for my WB Traveler, but the hem's narrow (<.5in). I think I may just fold the loose edge over an inch and sew to create a natural channel, then thread in the bungee. Seems more elegant than making and sewing on an external channel. Shouldn't take more than 30 minutes (20 to set up the sewing machine, 10 to do the actual work).

Rich

Redoleary
04-08-2012, 13:14
Contemplating this mod for my WB Traveler, but the hem's narrow (<.5in). I think I may just fold the loose edge over an inch and sew to create a natural channel, then thread in the bungee. Seems more elegant than making and sewing on an external channel. Shouldn't take more than 30 minutes (20 to set up the sewing machine, 10 to do the actual work).

Rich

I recently modded a friends Traveler but with a full length stretch side, not just the two foot sections. The loss of width doesn't seem to be an issue.

Acer
04-08-2012, 13:25
I recently modded a friends Traveler but with a full length stretch side, not just the two foot sections. The loss of width doesn't seem to be an issue.

I took my traveler and on the side hems that WB had sewed down the sides, melted a hold into one side of the hem, then down 24 inches melted another hole and then snaked a piece of 3/32 shock chord thru the hem and knoted one end, with a micro lock on the other end and works great for the modification, and have used it more than 75 nites with no wear and tear of doing the mod..works perfect but you have to be very careful of melting the hole with a fairly sharp nail or soldering arm to not damage hammock material. At the end of each hole,,I hand sewed the hem and down both sides alittle to reinforce it a bit too. Like I say,,works great.

Chocolatier
04-08-2012, 13:29

Thanks, Red. The whole-length stretch makes sense--I sort of want a "head box" as well.

Rich

Chocolatier
07-09-2012, 11:59
Went with two-foot stretches on opposite sides--one near my head and one near my feet, to give me more of a cocoon feel than a whole-length stretch would do. Rather than sewing on a channels, I folded over the excess nylon twice and sewed the channel from the existing fabric. Will test it out this weekend.

Knotty
07-13-2012, 00:55
Hope you like the mod Chocolatier. If you do, send me a bon-bon as a thank you. ;)

TheCoyote
08-26-2012, 14:38
Do you have to sew the loops in or can you just do burn holes and cord loks(one on each end)?

Chocolatier
08-26-2012, 19:05
Do you have to sew the loops in or can you just do burn holes and cord loks(one on each end)?

I just folded the fabric over twice to form a channel, sewed, and added cord locks.

Rich

TheCoyote
08-26-2012, 23:45
Sweet. I'm going to get a Crinkle Taffeta hammock blank and do this. Since all edges are sewn I just wanted to make holes and add cord loks. Sweet :) Ill test it with out first though of course.

Chocolatier
08-27-2012, 00:12
Hope you like the mod Chocolatier. If you do, send me a bon-bon as a thank you. ;)

*That* will have to wait until the weather cools. Yes, I like the mod. It made my Traveler much more comfortable.

Rich

Oper8or
08-27-2012, 12:27
I know you put it in a 2FT section of the hammock, but how much shock cord are you using? I was guessing it was 2FT but I wanted to make sure before I approached doing this.

Chocolatier
08-27-2012, 12:30
I know you put it in a 2FT section of the hammock, but how much shock cord are you using? I was guessing it was 2FT but I wanted to make sure before I approached doing this.

I used 2 ft of shock cord with a cord lock on one end. I also found that it needed surprisingly little tension to be effective.

Rich

Knotty
08-31-2012, 11:41

Using 2' is fine if you want to release tension at times, so the hammock sides hang natural but for it to act as a footbox the bungee needs to be shorter than the channel its in so there's tension. I'd start with 2' and then trim off excess as you see fit. It's easier to cut than to add.

XSrcing
08-31-2012, 11:52
I'm going to have to do this to my DIY ham hock.

snare
08-31-2012, 12:03
We are putting these on our DIY hammocks using the method described by bindibadgi here:
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=707166&postcount=69

bindibadgi
08-31-2012, 22:32
Glad you like it. Mine is still going strong. I've replaced the cord locks with paracord as shown here (http://cordlock.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/cord-lock-replacement-hammock-camping.html). It's a great replacement, especially for super-weight-weenies (unlike me).

WV
09-01-2012, 06:10
Using 2' is fine if you want to release tension at times, so the hammock sides hang natural but for it to act as a footbox the bungee needs to be shorter than the channel its in so there's tension. I'd start with 2' and then trim off excess as you see fit. It's easier to cut than to add.
The factor I use in determining how short the bungees should be is how it feels under my knees when I sit in the hammock. I adjust so it stretches just enough to be comfortable. Then it's usually tight enough to lift the side and form a footbox when I lie down. If I've planned correctly I can then dispense with the toggle and permanently fasten the end of the bungee.

snare
09-01-2012, 13:09
Glad you like it. Mine is still going strong. I've replaced the cord locks with paracord as shown here (http://cordlock.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/cord-lock-replacement-hammock-camping.html). It's a great replacement, especially for super-weight-weenies (unlike me).

I not only like it, I love the simplicity of it. And the cord lock replacement looks great too ! Off to replace some cord locks. Thanks.

Mescudi
12-26-2012, 11:50

I plan on doing something similar to this. I tried adding a strip of grosgrain instead of the ripstop tube but it liked to get hung up with the shock cord while cinched. I have some satin ribbon lying around which is much softer. Do you guys think that will work and if so should I have durability concerns? Thanks in advance!

gmcttr
12-26-2012, 13:30
...I have some satin ribbon lying around which is much softer. Do you guys think that will work and if so should I have durability concerns? Thanks in advance!

I'm guessing durability won't be an issue. It doesn't take much abuse. I just used a scrap of ripstop nylon.

TheTurtle
05-20-2014, 12:56
Man I can't believe I've never looked into the "knotty mod" before. Kept seeing it mentioned and decided to take a look finally. Genious! See why this is all the rave now.
Guess what I'll be doing tonight?!!
Thanks Knotty and all you guys and gals, who contribute so much to the forum with all of the DIY ideas and knowledge!

Knotty
05-26-2014, 20:56
You're very welcome TT.

Skeetrock
06-11-2014, 16:29

The link for the cord lock replacement doesnt work... Anyone have any info on the cord lock paracord replacement?

pkupmn98
06-11-2014, 17:25
Has anyone had luck or problems just running the shock cord through the hem/channel of the hammock sides, through burnt holes?

Skeetrock
06-11-2014, 22:57

Sorry for posting about the cordlock replacement again but I found a youtube video explaining the paracord alternative. It's so cool I have to share it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsif4LJ2WVc

bigsig11010
06-15-2014, 16:02
I got the idea from your previous post on the subject

Firesong
06-15-2014, 17:14
Too funny. Today I got free Father's Day time and did this without seeing this thread. With my cat cuts I had a slight edge which I folded over to make a small channel and stuck shock cord in it. Went into my 11ft DIY DL. Good times.

Niteowl
06-29-2014, 18:47
Awesome fix to sloppy sides! Thanks!

momtaxi
06-30-2014, 09:13
I just serged ¼" elastic into the seam under a little tension when I made our tablecloth hammocks. It means the edges aren't floppy but it has permanently high sides that you can't adjust. The pros are that ¼" elastic is cheap with no extra hardware needed and it is much easier to do than a cord/ribbon/cordlock etc assembly. I figured that serging elastic in might help stabilise the edges and help them last a little longer, it also makes turning the edges much easier.

Knotty
07-01-2014, 15:54
I just serged ¼" elastic into the seam under a little tension when I made our tablecloth hammocks. It means the edges aren't floppy but it has permanently high sides that you can't adjust. The pros are that ¼" elastic is cheap with no extra hardware needed and it is much easier to do than a cord/ribbon/cordlock etc assembly. I figured that serging elastic in might help stabilise the edges and help them last a little longer, it also makes turning the edges much easier.

Yet another approach. Always glad to see people coming up with new solutions.

Camping With Ken
07-02-2014, 02:31
Very nice job, Knotty.

I might have to redo mine with the grosgrain loops like that.

BareThrills
02-11-2015, 14:41
Just a quick thank you Knotty. Just finished mine. Went with grosgrain loops and the gap in the hem for the bungee. I put a lineloc 3 on the termination for easy adjustibility. Not had a proper test yet but ive just added an ASR and cuben organiser not pictured. Argon 1.6, weight 360g, 10.5ft finished length.

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu102/stokepa31/DSC_0584_zps8epom5la.jpg (http://s638.photobucket.com/user/stokepa31/media/DSC_0584_zps8epom5la.jpg.html)

Rolichu
02-11-2015, 18:56
Im not sure if this has been adressed, but could you skip the gross grain loops and just run the shock cord through the hem?
i know it would stress the material more, but would it cause more strain than the "fancier" way?
i have to take the cheapo no sew approach for now.

OklahomaGreyBeard
04-09-2016, 19:31
Just another thank you from another adopter. I've always used my own hammocks but just started using one from Walmart (try not to laugh) that is sold as a portable double hammock that I absolutely love. The extra width gives me the flattest most comfortable lay yet but with all that extra came really floppy sides. Well, no more! I went the cheap and easy route and just ran it through the hem with no loops and knots on the end and it works great. No more losing my pillow or top quilt.

To be completely honest there is one thing about the hammock I don't like and that is that it seems to be more noisy than my normal DIY ripstop ones. I'm guessing the material type is the culprit.

scoutmaster405
06-23-2016, 20:51
Great Idea!

Shaz23
10-30-2016, 08:20
I got the idea from your previous post on the subject

That is an amazing colour! What is it?

Shaz23
10-30-2016, 08:22
I have read and watched all I can find about this mod, but I can't figure out how far from the hammock end to begin. Knotty, it looks as if you start about 2 - 2.5 feet from the end; is that right?

Ratdog
10-30-2016, 11:45
I have read and watched all I can find about this mod, but I can't figure out how far from the hammock end to begin. Knotty, it looks as if you start about 2 - 2.5 feet from the end; is that right?

If you are uncertain, then consider the following method, which is how I approach these sorts of mods;

Hang your hammock.
Get in your hammock.
Get comfy, find that sweet spot.
Have a friend with you.

Take a look at your feet, look at the hammock edge and have your friend gather some of the fabric in each hand and approximate the mod. Ask them to move their hand closer to the end of the hammock and notice the change it makes in the pocket. Ask them to move the other hand closer to the middle of the hammock and notice how much or how little that matters. Once you find what seems to make sense for you, have the friend mark each spot.

The good news is, you can make this mod, and then change it. All we're talking about is creating a hole in the fabric. If you wind up dissatisfied with the location, make another hold further up or further down and extend the shock cord.

Final point, how far from the end you start has a lot to do with the actual length of the hammock. I'm in a phase where all my hammocks are 11'6" to 12' in length so the Knotty mod is much further down. On the 10' length hammocks, less, closer to what you have suggested.

MikekiM
11-02-2016, 10:59
As the weather gets cooler, I am opting to tie back the integral bug on my WB BB. This makes the head-end side material floppy and quite annoying.

I am wondering if the Knotty Mod will remedy the floppy side when the bug net is not in use. If so, is the mod best done at the head or foot end?

larrybourgeois
12-13-2016, 10:16
Your a thinker Knotty! That is a top-notch mod and really makes sense....makes a terrific footbox.
Love those low-tone chimes as well.
Shug

Oh wow Shug. The light bulb went on as I suddenly imagined a similar sounding, soft beacon, gently calling from my little patch of woods, dependent upon the breeze. Like poetry in motion eh. Thank you Shug for flicking on the switch for me this morning. :) LarryB

Tato Spud
01-15-2017, 07:39
And now I know the rest of the story... I've been enjoying my HalfWit from Dutch for about 6 months and played with the Knotty mod adjustment for sweet sleeping perfection. Didn't realize the origin and naming system. Kinda like Rudolph, you'll go down in history. Thanks for sharing the concept. Tato

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

WillUpnDown
12-29-2017, 20:57
Hey Knotty, Thanks for the help. Question. Has anyone done a Knotty Mod with a opening between layers? I'd like to try this because I'd like to use my air mattress instead of an underquilt. The options seem to be:
1. Knotty mod across the opening, running the shock cord through the seam of only one layer, and then adding a bit of velcro just to keep the loose fabric in place. (The velcro hooks-n-loops doesn't have to be perfectly aligned or handle any tension)
2. Run two pieces of shock cord through the seams on either side of the opening. But again cross the opening and use one cord-lock. and I understand that the purpose of the Knotty Mod aka Stretch Side Hammock, is to keep the sides up and neat.
Thanks all.

MikekiM
12-30-2017, 09:23
Hey Knotty, Thanks for the help. Question. Has anyone done a Knotty Mod with a opening between layers? I'd like to try this because I'd like to use my air mattress instead of an underquilt. The options seem to be:
1. Knotty mod across the opening, running the shock cord through the seam of only one layer, and then adding a bit of velcro just to keep the loose fabric in place. (The velcro hooks-n-loops doesn't have to be perfectly aligned or handle any tension)
2. Run two pieces of shock cord through the seams on either side of the opening. But again cross the opening and use one cord-lock. and I understand that the purpose of the Knotty Mod aka Stretch Side Hammock, is to keep the sides up and neat.
Thanks all.

Any of the DL hammocks I have seen/used have only a small section of the layers open, and not sewn together, through which you slip your pad. The majority of the edge seams on both layers are sewn and it's here that you would put the Knotty mod.. Is this not the case in your hammock?

GoneShootn
12-31-2017, 20:13
This sounds like a good idea, but I have a couple of questions: Why just 2 sections and if 2, why on opposite ends?

old4hats
01-01-2018, 07:43
This sounds like a good idea, but I have a couple of questions: Why just 2 sections and if 2, why on opposite ends?

Head/shoulder box on one side, foot box on the other.

GoneShootn
01-01-2018, 18:30
Okay, I see. So you could do both sides if you don't always lie in one direction?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

WV
01-02-2018, 09:38
Okay, I see. So you could do both sides if you don't always lie in one direction?
Or turn the hammock over, but you have to be awake to do that. :rolleyes:

GoneShootn
04-20-2018, 13:31
I have a hammock with a very small hem - maybe 1/4". What can I do with this?

slugbait
04-21-2018, 09:37
You could sew both sides of a piece of grosgrain ribbon to the edge and run shockcord or narrow elastic through the tunnel. Another way would be to sew flat elastic on top of the hem with a zigzag stitch (use a piece of elastic 3/4ths the length of the area you are stitching, and stretch it as you go). This method would not be adjustable but does work.

GoneShootn
04-21-2018, 14:58
You could sew both sides of a piece of grosgrain ribbon to the edge and run shockcord or narrow elastic through the tunnel. Another way would be to sew flat elastic on top of the hem with a zigzag stitch (use a piece of elastic 3/4ths the length of the area you are stitching, and stretch it as you go). This method would not be adjustable but does work.

I was thinking I may have to do as your first suggestion, but with nylon fabric instead of grosgrain. The grosgrain I have is too thick. Maybe I can scrounge some material somewhere. Wouldn't take much.

Mtngeronimo
07-19-2018, 01:46
Interesting that this thread did not hit for me when searching for 'knotty' mod. I never thought to search for stretch side hammock. Anyhow...this was my approach to the mod;

I tried shock cord on a previous hammock but was annoyed by the cord on the head end so I thought I would try elastic which resulted in a better, more comfortable option.
For my most recent build I roll hemmed a 1/2"+ channel for 3/8" elastic. I left a small opening in the rolled hem 24" from each end, lock stitching each side , so I could snake the elastic through. I first started on the foot box 24" from the gathered end and ended at 56" for a total 32" length. I then placed a cord lock on the elastic to find the right tension and then did an elastic stitch for 1.5" through the hem to secure. I then considered the head end. If I made it the same length as the foot then I could orient head or foot either direction without worry. And why limit myself to lay? Why not try a full length mod? So I did the other side full length and am really happy with the result. The elastic is smooth and flattens out if I lay my head on the edge with no cord rub like with shock cord. The side holds nice and high when unweighted holding the contents secure and getting in is much easier with the opposite side held high when entering. It feels like a asym with no material flop yet I can lay either orientation/direction.

The first pic looks as if the mod starts >24" from the end but it is just the angle. Hammock is 10.5' length.

MikekiM
07-19-2018, 05:28
Love the color! I just finished my second DIY 11' hammock.. this one a Half Wit clone in UL Robic 1.2. I included the Knotty (stretch side) mod using 1/16" shock cord. I didn't want it to be permanent as this is the first hammock I have that uses the mod. I reinforced about one inch of two spots of the side hem by tacking a piece of grosgrain inside the 1/2" rolled hem. I burned a very small exit/entry hole through the grosgrain and hammock body before rolling the hem. After threading the shock cord through, I made a barrel knot on the outboard end to keep the shock cord from pulling through and used a micro cord lock at the other end. Works as expected. However, in use I find that tensioning the stretch side interferes with how the no-seeum bib on the Half Wit clone falls, leaving a gap for bug entry, and I have abandoned using the mod for the most part.

GoneShootn
07-19-2018, 09:50
Interesting that this thread did not hit for me when searching for 'knotty' mod. I never thought to search for stretch side hammock. Anyhow...this was my approach to the mod;

I tried shock cord on a previous hammock but was annoyed by the cord on the head end so I thought I would try elastic which resulted in a better, more comfortable option.
For my most recent build I roll hemmed a 1/2"+ channel for 3/8" elastic. I left a small opening in the rolled hem 24" from each end, lock stitching each side , so I could snake the elastic through. I first started on the foot box 24" from the gathered end and ended at 56" for a total 32" length. I then placed a cord lock on the elastic to find the right tension and then did an elastic stitch for 1.5" through the hem to secure. I then considered the head end. If I made it the same length as the foot then I could orient head or foot either direction without worry. And why limit myself to lay? Why not try a full length mod? So I did the other side full length and am really happy with the result. The elastic is smooth and flattens out if I lay my head on the edge with no cord rub like with shock cord. The side holds nice and high when unweighted holding the contents secure and getting in is much easier with the opposite side held high when entering. It feels like a asym with no material flop yet I can lay either orientation/direction.

The first pic looks as if the mod starts >24" from the end but it is just the angle. Hammock is 10.5' length.

Nice job! Thanks for sharing.