PDA

View Full Version : Tip- Don't do this !

Perkolady
12-01-2006, 16:12
Hi all,

I'm new here and kinda new to hammocking as well. I've been hanging for a few years, but only during the milder weather in between summer, summer, summer and winter here in GA (which means not too often ...) :(

I would prefer to go in cooler weather, but I have always fallen short in finding good staying warm methods.

Of course I had been reading posts everywhere about everyone's adventures in keeping warm in a hammock, and have had some interesting and rather humorous attempts at trying my own weird ideas.

I thought I'd share my bottom-of-the-barrel "adventure" in keeping warm, so that no one will repeat this, and if nothing else, you can have a good chuckle....:)

*This was before I really understood the "science" behind insulating- ESPECIALLY the need for breathability... lol

While at my local Pak Mail one day, I spotted the 1/8" foam sheet packing roll.....!!!
My wheels were turning, and I was back there the next day, and bought some.
I made a hammock shaped "boat" if you will, by sewing two sheets together and was even pretty successful in getting the banana curve going good...
I was pretty pround of this accomplishment, and decided I would add a mylar sheet to that by "quilting" it onto the foam.

This setup was going to go under my used HH Ex that I had purchased without the netting. I had added an under-sleeve already, and I figured I'd insert this pad-gizmo into that sleeve ...

So, I had that, and a ccf pad- and a top quilt and a hopefulness that I would be warm. I headed out on the AT here in GA in late November. Temps were in the low 30's that night.

I was nice and warm, and gloating over my victory... until, that is, I woke up the next morning...I was SOAKING WET !! I was very confused at first, thinking my tarp must have come loose during the night and it must have rained on me.... no, I saw with one eye opened the tarp was fine... did I pee in my hammock?? Nope.

Well, I literally had a tiny PUDDLE in the lowest point of my ccf pad from condensation!! :eek: Every inch of my DOWN sleeping quilt that had been touching the hammock was SOAKED too!

I've learned a thing or two since then at least ;)

I'm still learning too... I'm slowly purchasing some JRB stuff (THANK YOU !)
and I am waiting to let others make their bloopers before I have another one for now! :)

Thanks everyone, for posting what YOU try, so I don't have to ! :D

Perkolady

FanaticFringer
12-01-2006, 16:18
Will be heading up your way tomorrow night (Panther Creek Trail) to do a solo overniter. Temps look like they will be high 20s or so. Man that is one awesome trail. Not crowded at all due to the difficult sections. Cant wait.

Perkolady
12-01-2006, 16:24
I would love to read a TR when you get back !
I've been wanting to get up there and give it a try myself!

Stay cozy and have fun!

Perkolady

Peter_pan
12-01-2006, 16:52
Perkolady,

Yup...that happens with the non breathing foam wraps and the mylar wraps...don't feel bad you are not the first to post of this problem.... see the many threads in the WB archives where the back sweat issues are discussed...

Good news is you are venturing into winter hanging.

Pan

titanium_hiker
12-01-2006, 20:14
hanging bathtub!

TH

Perkolady
12-02-2006, 13:28
hanging bathtub!

TH

LOL! I can see the Ronco commercial...

"It's a Hammock ! It's a lounger!! BUT WAIT ! THERE'S MORE !!!
Your wonder hammock is also a BATH TUB !!! "

All this for $19.95..... :D

Perkolady

slowhike
12-02-2006, 13:35
LOL! I can see the Ronco commercial...

"It's a Hammock ! It's a lounger!! BUT WAIT ! THERE'S MORE !!!
Your wonder hammock is also a BATH TUB !!! "

All this for $19.95..... :D

Perkolady

and that`s not all !!! if you order in the next 10 minutes, you`ll get this ultralight spong & bath towel set!!! a $15.00 value... just for ordering!!!

Perkolady
12-02-2006, 15:38
LOLOL!

Too bad they don't offer the "Pocket" wonder hammock- then I could take that AND the pocket fisherman..... :D

Crash
12-07-2006, 11:09
hanging bathtub!

Now in the summer a hanging bathtub would be soooo cool.

headchange4u
12-07-2006, 11:23
Now in the summer a hanging bathtub would be soooo cool.

Or you could hang like this (http://www.treklightonline.com/gallery/images/hammock_river2.jpg).

Perkolady
12-07-2006, 11:29
WOW ! That would help get off some of the trail grime, and be very refreshing! :D

Well, he's smiling in the photo- must not bee too cold, lol.

Perkolady

Just Jeff
12-07-2006, 11:38
That's great. Makes me jealous.

FanaticFringer
12-07-2006, 16:21
Hammocking Nirvana!!!

slowhike
12-07-2006, 16:37
Or you could hang like this (http://www.treklightonline.com/gallery/images/hammock_river2.jpg).

now that looks like fun.. unless that small tree decides to turn loose<G>

Peter_pan
12-07-2006, 18:05
Hope there is no water point below that hammocker for another trail.

Pan