PDA

View Full Version : Winter Hangout 2008 Attendence Update

slowhike
01-23-2008, 10:37
Hopefully this will help us know how to plan for the Sat eve hot dog cook out.

Coffee
01-23-2008, 10:43
I'll be there. Finally going to make one of these things.:D

Do I need to bring anything?

Slowhike, can you post a link to the printable park maps. I left my VA maps back in OH. If anyone is up for it I am planning on hiking around and probibly doing a little bushwacking around the highlands. Plenty of cool spots I had to skip in bad weather last month.

slowhike
01-23-2008, 10:51
i should get to the parking area around 7 or 8pm FRi.
i'll find those park map links & i'll be glad to print a map from the Nat Geo software. it can have a close up of the immediate area on one side & a larger area on the other (waterproof, 8.5 x11" map paper).
if anyone else wants one like that, let me know.

Coffee
01-23-2008, 10:53
i should get to the parking area around 7 or 8pm FRi.
i'll find those park map links & i'll be glad to print a map from the Nat Geo software. it can have a close up of the immediate area on one side & a larger area on the other (waterproof, 8.5 x11" map paper).
if anyone else wants one like that, let me know.

Awhhh, nighthiking.:(

I can find my way around once I get there, I just don't want to miss the trailhead or take the wrond trail up.

slowhike
01-23-2008, 10:55
if you click on my gallery, you will see on pages 1 & 2 a topo map & a hand drawn over view of the area roads around the park.
if anyone needs further help w/ directions (road or trail) please let us know. glad to help.

slowhike
01-23-2008, 10:56
Awhhh, nighthiking.:(

I can find my way around once I get there, I just don't want to miss the trailhead or take the wrond trail up.

do you know about when you plan to arive?

GrizzlyAdams
01-23-2008, 11:37
do you know about when you plan to arive?

he's getting there via Grizz's Pretty Good Shuttle Service @tm.

We're aiming to leave Atlantaland earlyish Friday a.m. so would expect to get there early afternoon. Have time to get the best hanging spots before the rest of you show :)

Grizz

Coffee
01-23-2008, 11:43
he's getting there via Grizz's Pretty Good Shuttle Service @tm.

We're aiming to leave Atlantaland earlyish Friday a.m. so would expect to get there early afternoon. Have time to get the best hanging spots before the rest of you show :)

Grizz

What he said.:D

Kanguru
01-23-2008, 14:20
This is for the area as best as I can pinpoint at an altitude of 4600 feet. Pretty much same as the other one. Might be a little cooler at the shelter

Friday: Sunny, with a high near 34. North wind around 8 mph.

Friday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 19.

Saturday: A chance of snow between noon and 1pm, then a chance of rain and snow between 1pm and 2pm, then a chance of rain after 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 38. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 27.

Sunday: Partly sunny, with a high near 43.

slowhike
01-23-2008, 15:01
i just called GHSP to get an up date on the roads, etc.
she said the roads were in pretty good shape right now but there are a few icy patches in places.
also they are expecting snow tomorrow (thurs 24th), but have no idea how much or little.
one thing i've learned over the years is that rangers will often give short, safe answers that lean toward caution on their part.
when i've asked about things like water conditions in the past, they have almost always told me that it would be wise to just carry all the water you need rather than count on finding water there:eek:

Tobit
01-23-2008, 15:03
when i've asked about things like water conditions in the past, they have almost always told me that it would be wise to just carry all the water you need rather than count on finding water there:eek:
Must think we're camels or something. :rolleyes:

- JT

Coffee
01-23-2008, 15:11

- JT

Yeah my favorite was the smokies water update saying it was dry for the last half or they called a liter a minute flow extremely low. Both were way off.

slowhike
01-23-2008, 15:22

- JT

or pack horses:D

skippy
01-23-2008, 18:16
I have a friend who will be coming with me,also does anyone have a extra underquilt that would work on a clark? if not I am going to bring my tent and have it available just in case.I will be leaving the B'ham area around 6 am and should arrive by 2 pm. if anyone has a extra I would meet you at the parking area.
Thanks

Dutch
01-23-2008, 19:02
I will be getting there Friday afternoon (2 or 3ish). I signed up for paper plates plus I would will bring paper bowls for the chile. I am assuming everyone will have eating utencils. I will also bring a pie possibly a shoe-fly pie. Does anyone expect there to be a measurable amount of snow on the ground? I will my bring boots just in case. I am looking forward to meeting everyone.

Kanguru
01-23-2008, 19:09
I have a friend who will be coming with me,also does anyone have a extra underquilt that would work on a clark? if not I am going to bring my tent and have it available just in case.I will be leaving the B'ham area around 6 am and should arrive by 2 pm. if anyone has a extra I would meet you at the parking area.
Thanks

Check here http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2967

Dutch
01-23-2008, 19:11
I was looking a Slowhike's map and are we parking a the overnight parkingat Massie Gap?

skippy
01-23-2008, 19:41
rstms: thanks, I sent him a pm

GrizzlyAdams
01-23-2008, 20:20
I was looking a Slowhike's map and are we parking a the overnight parkingat Massie Gap?

I'm pretty sure the written directions he gives has as the parking location the area to the east of there out of which the Wilson Trail heads north.

Grizz

slowhike
01-23-2008, 20:31

if a person wanted to do a longer hike & knew the trails they could park at the lot marked "Overnight Parking For Backpackers", but most will continue down that same road toward the camp ground & park where you see a "P" on the map.
the phone symbol strait across the road from the "P" is were you will see the camp grounds store. it will be closed of course, but our parking area is right across from it on the left. http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/5/PC290007.JPG

about the snow, i'd say there will be a few inches on the ground, but i don't know if there will be any real accumulation.

slowhike
01-23-2008, 20:33
I'm pretty sure the written directions he gives has as the parking location the area to the east of there out of which the Wilson Trail heads north.

Grizz

yep. the directions are in post #1 of this thread...
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2140

smithobx
01-24-2008, 11:23
Darby and I are leaving at 6 am tomorrow morning, about an 8 hr. drive,we will be there Fri. and Sat. night.--John

Doctari
01-24-2008, 13:47
Have fun gang. Wish I could come, will be thinking of you all weekend, SIGH!! AND I am off work the whole weekend too.

slowhike
01-24-2008, 16:10
Darby and I are leaving at 6 am tomorrow morning, about an 8 hr. drive,we will be there Fri. and Sat. night.--John

glad you guys can make it. that's a long drive.
we got one coming from AL too!

slowhike
01-24-2008, 16:10
Have fun gang. Wish I could come, will be thinking of you all weekend, SIGH!! AND I am off work the whole weekend too.

you will be missed... we'll be sure to talk about you:D

Coffee
01-24-2008, 17:21
you will be missed... we'll be sure to talk about you:D

Don't worry, I won't say anything good about you.:D

blackedoutcoupe
01-24-2008, 17:51
well i know im new and dont really know anyone yet and i was so excited about going ,but im sick and its not looking to good for me .

Kanguru
01-24-2008, 18:16
well i know im new and dont really know anyone yet and i was so excited about going ,but im sick and its not looking to good for me .

Sorry you are sick. Since you are pretty close (I am in Galax and couple more in WInston) some of us can easily get together another time.

skippy
01-24-2008, 19:53
Does anybody know if showers are available anywhere close after we come out Sunday?

Sure would make the ride home better!!!!

Marta
01-24-2008, 19:55
I think The Saint is going to come on up with me, too. Ben will be driving separately from his grandparents' house in Tennessee, probably arriving mid-to-late Saturday afternoon. David and I should be there by noon to one.

Ben is thinking about buying a Hennessy soon. He's quite tall, so I suggested he try lying in one before he springs for it. This seems like a pretty good opportunity for that.

Doctari
01-24-2008, 20:26
Don't worry, I won't say anything good about you.:D

You mean you'll talk about me in front of my back? :eek:

WOO HOO!!! :p

slowhike
01-24-2008, 20:30
Sorry you are sick. Since you are pretty close (I am in Galax and couple more in WInston) some of us can easily get together another time.

yep, sorry to hear that blackedoutcoupe. but rstms is right, there are several of us not to far away so we should be able to hit the trail another time.

slowhike
01-24-2008, 20:34
I think The Saint is going to come on up with me, too. Ben will be driving separately from his grandparents' house in Tennessee, probably arriving mid-to-late Saturday afternoon. David and I should be there by noon to one.

Ben is thinking about buying a Hennessy soon. He's quite tall, so I suggested he try lying in one before he springs for it. This seems like a pretty good opportunity for that.

that's good to hear Marta.
i'm sure everyone will be careful on the GHSP road in particular.
from the entrance to the parking area is roughly 1000' gain in elevation & i have often noticed an increase in snow & ice from bottom to top.

slowhike
01-24-2008, 20:57
here's a copy of the directions, starting w/ getting from the park entrance to the parking area, to the shelter.
NOTE: be sure to have the correct amount for parking ($9.00 for the weekend, per vehicle) so you can leave it in the pipe/collection box at the guard gate, or give it to a ranger if you see one.
tear off the part that is to be hung on your mirror or laid on your dash.

"i will lay out some basic info on getting to wise shelter. check & make sure i have it right.
hwy 58 in VA. will take you to the entrance to greyson highlands state park.http://www.dcr.state.va.us/parks/graysonh.htm
when you enter the park, it's all up hill & for a good ways.
1st you will come to the check-in booth which will be un-attended this time of year.
there's a fee for overnight parking & you'll find envelopes there to put your cash or check in. it has a tear-off to put on your mirror or dash w/ a number that matches the number on your payment envelope.
this just lets the rangers know that you paid the parking fee for that vehicle. you don't have to put the info about arrival/departure date, & destination if you don't want.
i'll call to confirm the amount & if it's required this time of year, but i believe the cost is $3.00 per vehicle, per day.
that means $6 for a one night stay & $9 for a two night stay (per vehicle).
as you continue up the park road you will pass the entrance to the picnic area on the right. a little ways farther, you will turn into the paved road leading to the camp ground. these are easy to see because of the normal, brown park signs.
as soon as you turn onto the campground road, you will see the gravel parking area for overnight packpacking on the left, but unless you plan to hike in by a longer route, keep going on the camp ground road.
as you begin to enter the campground, you will see a small building (divided by a breezeway) on the right, w/ a sign that says "country store".
strait across, on the left, is the parking area that will get you closest to wise shelter.
last time i was there, they had a port-a-john in that little parking area, but i don't know if they leave those out all year or not.
at the back-side of the parking lot, you'll see a wide, gated, multi-use trail (like a forest service road) that you'll follow by foot.
there are a couple trails that go off of that trail, but the main trail is obvious & you just stay on that.
you will cross two creeks that are not deep but just wide enough that they could make it a challenge to keep your feet dry... depends on the water flow & if there is snow or ice on the rocks.
after 20-30 minutes, the AT will cross the trail/road that you have been walking.
take a left on the AT. you'll soon cross a creek on a wooden foot bridge (w/ hand rails) & a couple minutes later be at wise shelter.
the whole walk took me about 40 minutes."

extra note...HOI told us last year about a short cut on the trails that saved us from having to make that last creek crossing.
when you see the 2nd wide creek just down the trail in front of you, there will be a zig-zag pony gate up on the bank to your left.
if you go through the gate & continue up the hill, you will come to the AT near wise shelter in about 5 minutes.
there may not be much of a trail to see, but just go strait up hill away from the road through an area that's mostly open w/ grass & a few shrubs.
if there's any snow on the ground & others have already used that path, it will be easy to follow their tracks.

jlb2012
01-24-2008, 21:03

Marta - I can bring an HH Explorer Deluxe for Ben to try if you want - its the hammock I use during bug times. It fits me at 6'2" with a fair bit left over.

Marta
01-24-2008, 21:45
That would be super, HOI. He's 6'5", but doesn't weigh much for his height.

I was planning to let him use my Raku sleeping bag this weekend. Since I'm going to have the Pea Pod, I was going to use the WM Ultralite for myself. I've also got a CCF pad for him to use. Do you think that system will work for him in the Explorer?

jlb2012
01-24-2008, 22:52
maybe - I use CCF pads but some people don't much care for them - also a single CCF pad might not be enough insulation for est. 20 deg. F on Saturday night - depends on the person and other factors such as extra clothing, hot water bottles, good fatty meal before sleep, hydration, etc.

slowhike
01-24-2008, 23:10
looks like about 17 if i counted right... that is counting marta's two, darby, & jeff if he makes it.
& i'll plan on 20 just in case.
so how many buns do you think i should bring... 60?

GrizzlyAdams
01-24-2008, 23:13
looks like about 17 if i counted right... that is counting marta's two, darby, & jeff if he makes it.
& i'll plan on 20 just in case.
so how many buns do you think i should bring... 60?

I bought two dozen brats tonight. Guess I should pick up some hot dogs too along the way.

Grizz

Shug
01-24-2008, 23:16
I sure wish that I could come and join ya'll. Here is to a terrific time hanging......
Shug

slowhike
01-24-2008, 23:47
I sure wish that I could come and join ya'll. Here is to a terrific time hanging......
Shug

yep, it would be a mild trip for you<g>, but it would be great to have you.
maybe we'll share a camp some day.

jlb2012
01-25-2008, 08:13
I'm bringing 18 cheese brats plus tortillas to wrap them in plus spicy mustard - leaving now.

Marta
01-25-2008, 09:53
I'll bring a bunch of desserts, and maybe some little potatoes to boil.

Tobit
01-25-2008, 10:51
I'm bringing.. well, my spirit will be there with you guys.

- JT

Just Jeff
01-26-2008, 06:43
Well, I had hoped to leave work at noon on Friday, but it was a little later and I was too tired to make the drive last night. But I'm leaving in just a few minutes...see y'all when I get back!! WOOHOO!!

Hooch
01-26-2008, 07:19
Well, I had hoped to leave work at noon on Friday, but it was a little later and I was too tired to make the drive last night. But I'm leaving in just a few minutes...see y'all when I get back!! WOOHOO!!No fair! I'm tellin mom. Moo-oooom!!!!! Have a good time JJ, drive safe and enjoy! :D

Marta
01-26-2008, 07:28
David and I were planning to leave at 8. But we're not half packed yet, so I think we're looking at 8:30. That should put us at Massie Gap around noon. Son, Ben, who is driving over from Cookeville, TN, is planning to get to Massie Gap around 2.

We may have to make several trips to the car to carry all the warm clothes and gear.

I hope all the Friday night arrivees have not gotten so frozen already that by the time we get there they have all retreated to the nearest bar.

Hooch
01-26-2008, 07:47
......I hope all the Friday night arrivees have not gotten so frozen already that by the time we get there they have all retreated to the nearest bar.Marta, if no one's there, at least you have a pretty strong suspicion of where they may be. :D

Marta
01-27-2008, 17:28
We're just back from the Hangout. It was cold, cold, cold, but very beautiful. This morning David, Ben, and I took a hike up from Massie Gap to an overlook a couple miles away. (It was my first hike in the Park away from the AT corridor area.) There was rime ice on everything. Ponies were gratifyingly abundant. Ben took lots of pictures.

A great time was had by all. Thanks to all the organizers and other participants!

slowhike
01-27-2008, 20:47
great, great trip!!!
it was a pleasure seeing those i've met before & meeting several for the 1st time!

& i really enjoyed the brats too!
i had them for lunch & supper on sat. also had them for breakfast on sunday.
guess what i had for supper tonight?:rolleyes:

Kanguru
01-27-2008, 20:57
I enjoyed everything too! Thanks for the good time and food. Thanks to JRB for donating the wonderful prizes for the raffle. I was fortunate enough to win the tarp, but only because NCPatrick at the Alabama guys turned their luck off for one drawing. It was indeed cold but beautiful. Especially Sunday morning at Massie Gap. The fog frozen on the trees is magnificent. Was great to meet everyone I have been stealing DIY ideas from for the past few months. Looking forward to the next time!

Iafte
01-27-2008, 21:29
Pics, we want pics.

Here is my setup from this weekend in the woods of NJ.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/3/0/1/IMG_1231.JPG

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/3/0/1/IMG_1233.JPG

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/3/0/1/IMG_1232.JPG

Hooch
01-27-2008, 22:21
Pics, we want pics.

Here is my setup from this weekend in the woods of NJ.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/3/0/1/IMG_1231.JPG

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/3/0/1/IMG_1233.JPG

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/3/0/1/IMG_1232.JPGIs that digital camo on the hammock? :eek: Give up your source, man! :D

GrizzlyAdams
01-27-2008, 22:33
I had a great time meeting folks.

I put some pictures of the Mt. Rogers area in a Picasa album (http://picasaweb.google.com/grizzly.adams.adventures/NewAlbum12708909PM?pli=1)

Some faces and hammocks below.

in the Wise shelter, left to right : Smee, Dutch, rstms, NCPatrick :
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/2/3/mt-rogers-faces-1.jpg

The 'Bama linemen Skippy and friend, Hog On Ice :
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/2/3/mt-rogers-faces-2.jpg

Lower left : Darby, no face seen : rstms, blue vest : Peter Pan, rightmost : smithobx:
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/2/3/mt-rogers-faces-3.jpg

blaze orange head : Smee, Cool Dude : Hammock Engineer, shrouded in mystery : rstms, innocent bystander : Peter Pan
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/2/3/mt-rogers-faces-4.jpg

Just Jeff's son (someone remind me of his name), Just Jeff, Slowhike:
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/2/3/mt-rogers-faces-5.jpg

NCPatrick showing off his new DIY quilt. 21 oz. of high quality down!!! He doesn't like to be cold.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/2/3/mt-rogers-faces-6.jpg

Dutch's pack-o-bridge, with cover, and tarp in pleasing kiddy-tent-pole accents:
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/2/3/IMG_0148.JPG

rstms' (I think...) home away from home:
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/2/3/IMG_0150.JPG

Skippy and friend set up a Clark subdivision:
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/2/3/IMG_0163.JPG

Grizz's hammock quonset hut. It did a great job of keeping the wind out.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/2/3/IMG_0123.JPG

apologies to those I missed...

Grizz

Tobit
01-27-2008, 22:51
nice pics Grizz.

- JT

Preacha Man
01-27-2008, 22:53
:eek: I am sooooooo jealous!!!!!!!! :eek: Sounds like yall had a good time. Next year I may just have to take off and join you.

rasputen
01-27-2008, 22:53
I like the white stuff...:) My kind of cool weather hanging.
Thanks for all the pics and post hang reports...

Now I'm really looking forward to the BSF hang in a week or so....:cool: :cool:

slowhike
01-27-2008, 22:59
who left the paid overnight parking pass that patrick & me used?
thanks much to that person!

rasputen
01-27-2008, 23:01
BTW, Did HE sleep in the shelter?:D

You guys have some serious hammock setups! My stock HH would be too jealous to come out of the pack...:(

slowhike
01-27-2008, 23:04
BTW, Did HE sleep in the shelter?:D

You guys have some serious hammock setups! My stock HH would be too jealous to come out of the pack...:(

no hammock engineer slept in his hammock way down by the creek, across the bridge (where HOI slept last year).
and i think he stayed warm too!

peanuts
01-27-2008, 23:18
wow, nice. look like lots of snow...my favorite. maybe next year!!!

pure_mahem
01-28-2008, 02:54
Is that digital camo on the hammock? :eek: Give up your source, man! :D

I've seen the digital in the mystery fabric at walmart. At one time I had a whole flat of it. Used it for various things since.:D

Dutch
01-28-2008, 05:59
It was geat to meet all my hammock heroes. I finally got home to get my femoral artery warmed up.

Kanguru
01-28-2008, 06:53
It was geat to meet all my hammock heroes. I finally got home to get my femoral artery warmed up.

HOI's anatomy lesson was indeed one of the event highlights! :eek:

HappyCamper
01-28-2008, 07:09
Great pics. Hey, did the weather and temps match those predicted?

NCPatrick
01-28-2008, 08:07
We missed the anatomy lesson on Friday, everyone had pretty much turned in by the time we got there (Slowhike and I got to do a little night hiking in the snow too).

I had a great time. It was good to meet those folks I hadn't met yet and to see the others again that I had. I really enjoyed the company. The scenery was beautiful. The new privvy was, uh... nicer than last year's.

There were Claytors, Clarks, JRB Bridge hammocks, Warbonnets, DIY bridge hammocks, DIY pack bridge hammocks, DIY Speer types, and I'm sure some others that I missed. There were lots of different types of tarps and insulation as well.

I still don't know what the "official" temperature was for either night...

headchange4u
01-28-2008, 08:45
I am really jealous. I had a pretty crappy weekend and I kept wishing I was with you guys.

Coffee
01-28-2008, 09:48
I had a great time too, and no I slept in my hammock. I had my UQ, big agnus pad, sleeping bag, hammock sock, and my nest in reserve. Luckily too I put on 5 or so pounds before I came.

It was pretty balmy weather out. Both nights were way warmer than my last few on the trail. The full moon and snow made a great early morning hike on Saturday.

Oh and I slept both nights with the waterbottle on my femoral artarry, and it was amazing.

Iafte
01-28-2008, 11:01
Few of you look cold in the pictures. I was hoping to get snow but it never came. Got down to 18, but no snow. :(

Looking forward to the next one I can make.

Iafte
01-28-2008, 12:27
Is that digital camo on the hammock? :eek: Give up your source, man! :D

Yes, made an under quilt out of it. It's perfect size for my Travel hammock but to small for my DIY. Found it at Walmart about a year ago in the $1 bin. See it now and then in and not in the $1 bin.

mixinmaster
01-28-2008, 13:32
who left the paid overnight parking pass that patrick & me used?
That would have to be me. Glad you found and used it........ Left the paper towels too, and hope they got there safe and sound. Sorry I missed the good times.:( Couldn't chance not being able to exit the park early early Sunday, and didn't want to bother anyone with a push or pull up the hill from the campground at 7 am....... Didn't snow after all, but I couldn't be sure of that at the time, and had to make a decision. Bright side is I got a lot of needed work done that I had been putting off. :) If work is ever a bright side:rolleyes: .

NCPatrick
01-28-2008, 13:40
Hey, thanks for the pass! It was great finding it, sort of like finding a treasure map with a treasure behind it. I really appreciate you leaving it. (We got full use from it).

slowhike
01-28-2008, 15:30
yes, we thank you much for the parking pass mixinmaster.
we'll try to do something nice for you next time we see ya.

as best i remember, the low temp was 20°f on sun morn. is that what yall remember?
or was that -20°f ???

Peter_pan
01-28-2008, 16:41
yes, we thank you much for the parking pass mixinmaster.
we'll try to do something nice for you next time we see ya.

as best i remember, the low temp was 20°f on sun morn. is that what yall remember?
or was that -20°f ???

WOW... super weekend... truely enjoyed meeting and greeting all.

As I recall the only thing negative all weekend was the temerature.... those minus number were close:rolleyes:

Pan

skippy
01-28-2008, 17:32
Hey Everybody,Had a great time meeting everyone this weekend!
We really enjoyed seeing everyone's hammocks and all of the different ways that you can rig them up.
A special thanks to Peter Pan and Smee for all of the prizes and for spending time showing us there new bridge hammock. I look forward to next years hang.

Nice picture's Griz.

Smee
01-28-2008, 18:10
Greetings All,

Bonnie and I had a great time. I took a few pictures. They're located on our web site here:

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Hammock%20Forums%202008.htm

Glad everyone had a safe trip home. We're looking forward to next year already.

slowhike
01-29-2008, 20:54
i added a few pictures to a web album. this link should take you there.
http://picasaweb.google.com/slowhike/2ndAnnualHFWinterCampoutFeb08

headchange4u
01-29-2008, 22:12
Who won the grand prize this year?

GrizzlyAdams
01-29-2008, 22:28

Skippy I think, or his friend Ken. One of the 'bama boys in any case.

NCPatrick scored 3 or 4 items, took a little ribbing because of it.

I got a pair of mini-biners, and a stuff-sack. A fair return on my 4 tickets.

Grizz

Hooch
01-29-2008, 22:55

Skippy I think, or his friend Ken. One of the 'bama boys in any case.

NCPatrick scored 3 or 4 items, took a little ribbing because of it.

I got a pair of mini-biners, and a stuff-sack. A fair return on my 4 tickets.

GrizzFor the sake of curiousity, what was the grand prize? I won two ATC posters the previos weekend at SoRuck......tickets drawn by the one and only Miss Janet!

GrizzlyAdams
01-29-2008, 23:01
For the sake of curiousity, what was the grand prize? I won two ATC posters the previos weekend at SoRuck......tickets drawn by the one and only Miss Janet!

JRB quilt. A No-Sniveller I think.

It would have been criminal if NCPatrick won it. He had the best quilt in the park that night already. The 'bama guys had been asking HE if he'd bring extra insulation they could use, so having that quilt go with them was fitting.

Grizz

Hooch
01-29-2008, 23:06
Sweet, glad someone who really needed it won it. I'm still working on my Speer Snugfit fund. :D Slowly but surely, I should hopefully have enough by April or so. Maybe I can pick it up from Ed at the Hot Springs Hang. I'd like to start a DIY Ray-Way quilt, too, if I can. :D

smithobx
01-30-2008, 08:13
Thanks to all for a great weekend-I know it improved my cold weather hammocking skills and Darby and I spent the drive home talking about the new equipment and methods we saw. See you all next time- John

slowhike
01-30-2008, 08:32
Thanks to all for a great weekend-I know it improved my cold weather hammocking skills and Darby and I spent the drive home talking about the new equipment and methods we saw. See you all next time- John

i hope you will post a picture of the tarp door opener/closer you showed me.
good seeing you guys again.

NCPatrick
02-01-2008, 09:49
Good thing the hangout wasn't one weekend later, it might have been a bit tricky getting up there:

Coffee
02-01-2008, 19:30
Good thing the hangout wasn't one weekend later, it might have been a bit tricky getting up there:

Ice storms are wicked cool and fun on the trail. Too bad. Hopefully next time. I still say we go to FL or points way south next winter.

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=292518
http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=292520
http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=292519

slowhike
02-01-2008, 23:24
nice shots HE!!!