PDA

View Full Version : Bug net terminology

Grinder
12-02-2006, 10:57
I think I'm going to add a bugnet as a third layer to my Zhammock. I will sew to one of the layers all the way around, add a vertical zipper in the middle of one side, ala JustJeff, and live happily ever after.

This means Haunting the WalMart Bargain bin.

What I need to know is:

What is the name of the noseeum grade of mesh, in fabric department clerk language?? I have heard of "Tulle" and "Voile" etc. but have no idea what I really need. Mind you, I'd know it if I saw it!! <G>

I always feel so ignorant, as a non-sewer, when I try to describe what I need while shopping.

TIA

Tom

Just Jeff
12-02-2006, 12:05
I've found mesh several times in the bargain bin...just look for something with small holes that you can see through. You'll be able to tell if it'll work or not. They also have some cheap stuff, about $1/yd but not in the bargain bin...I'd be hesitant to use it, though. It kinda feels like plastic but the holes are bigger than noseeum. But when I actually asked, she could only point me to that stuff and the jersey mesh.

Bottom line - don't rely on the Walmart ladies.

If you're concerned about weight, spring for the nanoseeum from thru-hiker.com.

Grinder
12-02-2006, 14:43
Thanks Jeff.

It's good to know I don't have to feel stupider than them anyway.

With 2.8 oz material in the hammock body, I don't guess weight is a major consideration on this hammock.

Tom

GaHammockGuy
06-02-2010, 10:12
I know this is an OLD... very old thread, but I am getting all caught up on the DIY threads.

There ias a TON of great ideas here.

In my DIY hammock, I used some left over tulle from our wedding that my used to make her own veil. We are a DIY family.

I made a hammock to test out nest to my Hennessy hammock and a buddy liked the idea so much he wanted to sleep in the DIY hamock.
He loved it and was not bugged by the creepy crawlies at all so I feel that it worked. the holes are smaller than I like, but it does seem to have worked.

T-BACK
06-03-2010, 11:00
Wedding tulle is all I ever use for my bugnets. It's super light weight. I use the smaller mesh and have found it to be mosquito proof. It is a lot cooler than noseeum netting. If there are noseeums, I just put on some bug dope, they go away at dark anyway. As for durability, My net lasted my entire 1850 mile Florida Trail hike and the next 500 miles through Alabama and across to Springer Mountain. Sure, it got a few small tears in it along the way but they were easily sewn closed with my sewing kit. As with any light weight gear, a little care will make it last.

GaHammockGuy
06-03-2010, 16:49
Wedding tulle is all I ever use for my bugnets..... My net lasted my entire 1850 mile Florida Trail hike and the next 500 miles through Alabama and across to Springer Mountain. ....

Happy to hear the tulle is that durable. I am glad I am using it now.

thanks for the info. Happy Hanin'

jdempsey
06-03-2010, 18:11
some organza weighs in as light or lighter than no-see-um, and varies in strength, but seems pretty strong to me. Some stuff I saw recently at jo-anns that looked interesting was something called "Bubble Organza", it was very fine mesh, with a crumpled look, but felt very strong.

Chiffon is also very strong, but can be kind of weighty.

Youngblood
06-04-2010, 08:58
Wedding tulle is all I ever use for my bugnets. It's super light weight. I use the smaller mesh and have found it to be mosquito proof. It is a lot cooler than noseeum netting. If there are noseeums, I just put on some bug dope, they go away at dark anyway. As for durability, My net lasted my entire 1850 mile Florida Trail hike and the next 500 miles through Alabama and across to Springer Mountain. Sure, it got a few small tears in it along the way but they were easily sewn closed with my sewing kit. As with any light weight gear, a little care will make it last.

That is an interesting observation about mesh size versus mosquitoes, coolness/noseeums/night-time, durability/repairability, weight, etc... and I know you know your mosquittoes. :D

gargoyle
06-04-2010, 09:17
I think we need to clarify that all tulle/organza fabric is not created equal. Same holds true with all fabrics. Tulle and organza, IMO/E, can be different weights, and different strengths.

I did a net from organza, held up fine for a while....but seemed to degrade fast in the sun (uv light ate my net).;) It had good strength characteristics, when the fabric was new. But after a few weeks outside, became brittle and tore easily. After being stored over the winter, it was turning into junk.:(

Not sure if tulle or organza type fabrics come with a uv rating, or I got a bad batch?
just my experience.
Give the fabric a good stretch test at the store, see if its sturdy or not. UV resistance will be tough to know beforehand. Unless labeled accordingly.

peanuts
06-04-2010, 10:29
but briefly...youngblood you are alive!!! good to know