PDA

View Full Version : Switchback 1.1 DL Light Hiker

Sidewinder
03-13-2011, 20:51
So, I just ordered one of these to see what all the talk was about. Anyone have an idea how long the back order is? Also, if any current users of the model can recommmend at tarp for it that would really be helpful. The lighter the better. Where and when I hang, rain is not really an issue, mostly a just in case tarp is what I need. Will the zpacks cuban hammock trap fit it or maybe a MacCat Standard?

Looking forward to checking out this new hammock.

~S.

pizza
03-14-2011, 05:13
I have one on order as well. I was told by Dale last week that they'd be shipping some of the backorders out this week as they are currently in production.

Sidewinder
03-14-2011, 10:03
I have one on order as well. I was told by Dale last week that they'd be shipping some of the backorders out this week as they are currently in production.

Awesome! Which tarp are you hoping to use with it?

pizza
03-14-2011, 11:14
Awesome! Which tarp are you hoping to use with it?
I'll be using my MacCat Deluxe for 3 season since I intend to use the SB for my bug season hammock.

Sidewinder
03-17-2011, 00:52
Does anyone know if a MacCat Standard will work with the lighhiker?

OutandBack
03-19-2011, 13:59
Does anyone know if a MacCat Standard will work with the lighhiker?

I don't see why not. I use a OES Delux with my SB 1.9 single.
I believe the ridgelines are the same length on the Std and Delux.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/0/3/3/6/004sb1.9_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=12976&c=2)

Darby
03-21-2011, 09:38
I don't see why not. I use a OES Delux with my SB 1.9 single.
I believe the ridgelines are the same length on the Std and Delux.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/0/3/3/6/004sb1.9_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=12976&c=2)

There is a slight difference between the Standard & the Deluxe (http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccat_tarps.php). The Standard is 125" x 84" and the Deluxe is 130" x 104". Both should work well with the LightHiker.

Cheers, Dale

Sidewinder
03-22-2011, 22:21
Thanks Dale! That is exactly what I wanted to know. Hoping to get my lighthiker soon! How's the backorder looking?

~S~

Darby
03-23-2011, 08:33
I just picked up the LightHikers this morning, so we should be shipping all the back orders out this week.

Cheers, Dale

Sidewinder
03-23-2011, 14:51
I just picked up the LightHikers this morning, so we should be shipping all the back orders out this week.

Cheers, Dale

Awesome! Can't wait to try it. Thank you so much!

~S~

pizza
03-28-2011, 11:50
Just got mine in the mail today. Can't wait to set it up and check it out.:D

Bubba
03-28-2011, 13:19
I think you guys are going to like the Light Hiker. I really like mine and am looking forward to using it outdoors. I still have only set it up indoors. I think there is lots of room for personalization/customization.

Sidewinder
03-29-2011, 22:24
My Lighthiker initial impressions:

Since my only other comparable hammock is the WBBB 1.1 DL I will compare it to this.

It's heavier then my WBBB 1.1 Double (795g). I don't know why but I was hoping it would be lighter than the blackbird. SWLH (870g) with included suspension.

The pack size is larger then the WBBB 1.1 Double. Need to get a picture of both side by side.

Odd stuff sack. One of the ends of the whoopies sticks out of it and is left outside of the sack then wrapped around sack.

Customer service: Excellent. Dale recognized a shipping error, corrected it and got me the product virtually overnight. Great service, kudos.

Initial hang impressions: Note I hung it in my back yard and did not sleep in it. Will try to do that this weekend:

Hammock is well made. Short whoopies are supplied, about 3 feet for each side. It would be nice if T2TGear would offer a choice of whoppie length and color.

Standard 6' x 1"wide tree huggers. Channel-end hammock with fixed eye of whoopie passed through hammock channel. Attached bug has a length of cord acting as a non-structural ridge line to help support the bug net.

This hammock model does not use rod supports for the netting, unlike the other SB models.

When I got in, it seemed wider then the WBBB. I was able to roll around and change positions as much as I liked. I think this will become my favorite feature. Hammock in the double layer seems very strong. Although there is a weight penalty for the second layer. I might think about removing it, if I don't think I will stretch out the remain fabric.

The bug net and hammock takes a little more time to setup vs. the blackbird. I am used to the set it and forget it with the WBBB. The Lighthiker needs a little more fiddle time. I may play around with adding a structural ridge line once I figure out how I like it to hang.

I will sleep in it this weekend and post more of my impressions.

~S~

pizza
03-30-2011, 18:49
I tried mine out very briefly at a local park this evening. I only had about 30 minutes so I can't provide a very in depth review yet. I found it to feel noticeably narrower than the WB Blackbird that I used previously or my WB Traveler but not so much as to be negative. I don't have broad shoulders but someone with broad shoulders may have an issue? Keep in mind I wasn't able to test the side pull-outs on the hammock because I didn't have any tent stakes with but I'm guessing that may help some as well? I think Shane mentioned that in his review.

The very strange thing with this hammock is that it's in many ways totally opposite of the Blackbird and I know this has been mentioned before but setting the tree huggers very low putting minimal angle in the suspension yielded for me anyway the best results. The hammock gets very flat and the center ridge goes away almost completely. I had room to go even flatter and I may try that when I get more time in the hammock.

Laying on a diagonal was the best for me though you can't lay on as extreme of a diagonal as you can in a Blackbird since the hammock is narrower. I was able to lay very comfortably on my side in the hammock in a semi fetal position and I look forward to trying that more.

I hope to get out this weekend for an overnighter to play with the hammock more and do a video review.

^shane^
03-30-2011, 19:21
I don't have broad shoulders but someone with broad shoulders may have an issue? Keep in mind I wasn't able to test the side pull-outs on the hammock because I didn't have any tent stakes with but I'm guessing that may help some as well? I think Shane mentioned that in his review.

Yep... I had some shoulder squeeze the first time I laid in the Light Hiker. I was only using the two standard pull outs at that time. Once I used the loop on the opposite sides as additional pull outs, all shoulder squeeze went away.

I'm going to experiment with head/shoulder end pull outs only on my next hang. No leg end pull outs deployed on either side. I had a bit of trouble with the right side leg pull out hindering my HG Incubator from getting up high enough for my feet on the trip last weekend. I don't think that the leg end pull outs are as critical as the head/shoulder end pull outs are for shoulder squeeze.