PDA

View Full Version : What's going on with Kick *** Quilts?

Exploriment
01-28-2008, 17:17
Hi everyone,

Just curious as to what's happening over at KAQ. Can't seem to access the website and messages to Black Bishop haven't been responded to.

Did I miss a major announcement?

Coffee
01-28-2008, 17:30
Good question. BB dropped off and went MIA sometime this summer.

BillyBob58
01-28-2008, 19:01
I got an e-mail from him a month or 2 back, saying he was not doing any production right now, but he would let me know when he fired back up.

pure_mahem
01-28-2008, 21:01
You can't even kick your won a$$ over there, did he shut the whole thing down?

angrysparrow
01-28-2008, 21:02
I spoke to Bishop about 3 weeks ago when he mailed me a tarp. He's still around and lurking, but I don't think he's done any quilt production for a few months now.

The KAQ (http://www.kickassquilts.com/) website does still seem to be accessible for me. I think that it's still hosted by the previous owner, rather than Bishop, though.

Exploriment
01-28-2008, 21:55
Thank you all for the responses.

That link works for me. Wonder why it didn't for more than a week. If Keith can't do it that's fine. I have been back and forth on whether I should tackle one myself or just get him to make me one. I guess I'll have to take a deep breath and give it a shot.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Thomas

Take-a-knee
01-28-2008, 22:47
I think Patrick hosts the KAQ site himself, and sometimes it is down 'cause he's working on it.

Coffee
01-29-2008, 01:49
Thank you all for the responses.

That link works for me. Wonder why it didn't for more than a week. If Keith can't do it that's fine. I have been back and forth on whether I should tackle one myself or just get him to make me one. I guess I'll have to take a deep breath and give it a shot.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Thomas

I think it is a really doable project. If not how about a down one?

Exploriment
01-29-2008, 09:56
Well just like I've been waffling about whether to make one or whether to have someone make it for me, I've been debating with myself whether to make it a synthetic or down UQ.

I've been coming down on the side of down (heehee). It's lighter and more compressible, and I already have a bunch of it. The fear I'd always had about it having no insulative value when wet is to my mind a bit of a red herring. I don't see much chance of it getting wet as long as sensible precautions are taken.

Now the question is, can the KAQ design be readily adapted to a down fill rather than a synthetic fill? Is there anything different I'd have to do in order to fill it with down?

I've done a lot of sewing, but more pouches and the like out of Cordura. Never anything large like this.

Now maybe someone would be kind enough to answer another question for me. I have 30 yards of 1.9 oz Marpat and 20 yards of 1.1 oz Marpat. I want to tackle a catenary tarp, a quilt and an underquilt. Would it be doable to use 1.9 for the part of the underquilt that faces out? I realize it'll add some more weight, but I like the idea of it offering some more protection from the wind and possibly even from damp. Not to mention that I have a lot more of the 1.9 oz.

Cannibal
02-06-2008, 15:58
I've been trying to get onto the site for a couple of days now, but it just keeps timing out. Maybe Patrick is having some server problems.

I'm pretty sure I've got a PDF version of the instructions on my computer at home Exploriment. If you want me to email it to you tomorrow I'd be happy to do so.

gunn parker
02-06-2008, 18:10
If you need instructions for the kick *** quilt in pdf format then go to my download page. I have the plans here for anyone to download.
Plans for the Kickass under quilt for hammocks. (http://teamgunnparker.com/downloads.php?cat_id=3)
I hope this is what your looking for :)

Exploriment
02-06-2008, 18:16
Ohhhh thank you, thank you, thank you!

I've been trying to get on there for a few days now, and have had no luck.

I figured I would just print out the instructions, but was starting to fear that I might not be able to.

Thanks to both of you.

I've been having this internal debate about whether to make quilts out of down or synthetic. After talking to Mel at Kifaru about why they went with Climashield, I've opted to use it. And then once I've got some experience with these things, I might take a crack at some down stuff.

gunn parker
02-06-2008, 18:21
Glad to help out :)

alex30808
04-15-2008, 22:02
Thanks Gunn...I appreciate your hosting that.

jeffjenn
04-15-2008, 22:13
How about the BlackCat tarp instructions?

gunn parker
04-15-2008, 22:14
I did create a pdf of the black cat for my self but I have not asked if it is ok to host them on my site.
Gunn

slowhike
04-15-2008, 22:18
I did create a pdf of the black cat for my self but I have not asked if it is ok to host them on my site.
Gunn

try PMing blackbishiop to see if he'll give you the OK.

angrysparrow
04-15-2008, 23:07
try PMing blackbishiop to see if he'll give you the OK.

Bishop has been offline and unreachable for a while now. I'm working on trying to get a copy of his now-defunct site, and I will rehost the whole thing if I can arrange it.

gunn parker
04-15-2008, 23:11
Hi
I see the site looks to be closed down.
I do not have a copy of the pdf here, it must be at home, once I find it I'll put it up on my site. I'll give full credit to blackbishop of cause.

gunn

angrysparrow
04-15-2008, 23:17
Hi
I see the site looks to be closed down.
I do not have a copy of the pdf here, it must be at home, once I find it I'll put it up on my site. I'll give full credit to blackbishop of cause.

Yeah, the site being closed is why I'm trying to obtain and rehost the whole thing. I don't want to take any credit for Bishop's designs...I just don't want them to be lost.

Gunn - if you post a PDF of the plans, I'll be happy to mirror it just to provide another backup. I still hope to be able to get a copy of the original site, though.

fin
10-11-2008, 21:40
Yeah, the site being closed is why I'm trying to obtain and rehost the whole thing. I don't want to take any credit for Bishop's designs...I just don't want them to be lost.

Gunn - if you post a PDF of the plans, I'll be happy to mirror it just to provide another backup. I still hope to be able to get a copy of the original site, though.

Did you ever get a copy of the site?

Ramblinrev
10-11-2008, 21:55
I have the .pdf of the underquilt plans. Tell me if you want me to do something with them.

jeffjenn
10-11-2008, 21:59
Does anyone have the Hennessy Knot End Covers from that site saved?

fin
10-12-2008, 12:22
Does anyone have the Hennessy Knot End Covers from that site saved?

That's why I refreshed this thread - I saw you were looking for the knot end covers in another thread. Thought someone might see this as well, due to the title of the thread. I have the pdf for the quilt, but the end covers were on the site at one time, so someone is bound to have saved or printed the instructions.

gunn parker
10-12-2008, 22:20
Hi
I recreated the whole page from the info I had, but I just need to find where I put it :)
I am not sure about that cover though.

Patrick
10-20-2008, 14:07
Hey gang, sorry for the eternal absence. My site (http://www.kickassquilts.com) is down now, but will be up again in the next couple of days.

Sorry for the long hiatus. I've been doing real job stuff forever and haven't done an ounce of sewing. I'm putting the original site back up and will be upgrading it to a better DIY site. I'm also considering selling quilts again, but that's still up in the air.

I'll get the directions for the end covers when I get home tonight and will post them in the DIY section. Glad to know someone's using them. I love 'em.

NCPatrick
10-20-2008, 14:11
Cool beans Patrick. Good to see you posting again. Thanks for putting up the DIY site.

Patrick
10-20-2008, 14:13
Glad to see the reply time hasn't slowed any since I've been away.

No problem. My favorite part was always seeing photos of those who'd made their own.

Patrick
10-20-2008, 22:46
Okay, site is back up.

I've been hosting out of my closet for years, but have switched to a commercial web host, so should be up for good now.

Check the articles section for instructions on the hammock end covers.

jeffjenn
10-21-2008, 09:14
Thanks Patrick!!!

JaxHiker
10-21-2008, 14:46
w00t! Just in time for me to start on my underquilt!

fin
10-21-2008, 16:02
Thanks, Patrick. :shades:

headchange4u
10-21-2008, 17:25
With Patrick's permission, I posted a version of the End Cover tutorial here on HF (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=82465#post82465).

Don't forget Kick *** Quilt instructions (http://www.hammockforums.net/index.php?page=kaq) are posted here also.

Patrick
10-21-2008, 17:27
Thanks, headchange4u. You can also find them at the site. I've moved hosting out of my closet and onto an actual commercial server, so there shouldn't be any more problems with availability.

I'm using them right now to make an underquilt for a friend. First one in about a year. Hope he doesn't mind the rust.