PDA

View Full Version : New to me way to tie off hammock ends

Grinder
12-02-2006, 14:53
Over on the Hammock Camping yahoo web site, several guys recommended using a double sheet bend knot to tie off the hammock ends. I tried it and it's pretty darn good and versatile. This knot can replace the Risk knotted test hammock end, , the whipping method or zip ties.

There's how to tie:
http://www.tollesburysc.co.uk/Knots/Sheet_bend.htm
Think of the hammock, after bunching, as the bigger line.

I like the double sheet bend best. There is a slip version which is even better, because you can undo it easily.

Seems to be no chance of slipping off, yet it unties easily. Refolding the ends until you get that perfect lie is now much easier for me.

Tom

headchange4u
12-02-2006, 15:26
A knot like that may be good for making an asymmetrical hammock.

Coffee
12-02-2006, 15:39
Does anyone have any problems with the whipping pulling off the end of the hammock? In some of the pics I have seem it looks like the whipping is all the way against the seams. I am afraid of it coming off at a bad time.

Grinder
12-02-2006, 16:52
On my first ,unhemmed, test hammock, I had the whipping slip. I was watching it pretty close, so it didn't dump me.

Once I hemmed the fabric,I haven't had any danger of it coming off, but I suspect the unequal folds were slipping. (i.e. the part you pull out a few inches to get tight outer edges).

This knot eliminates the possibility of pulling off.

Tom

slowhike
12-02-2006, 17:02
i`ve just started whipping in the last several months, but i see no sign of slipping.
i had asked the same question myself.
the double sheet bend may be a little easyer to un-do & readjust, but after whipping several times, un-doing & re-whipping isn`t very hard either.

Just Jeff
12-02-2006, 22:30
The way I connect my supports to the hammock, it doesn't even slip towards the whipping. Looks like it would, but it self-tightens when weighted so I've never had a problem with it. I just check it each setup...if it moves, it'll be when it's packed up and there's no weight on it.

So bottom line, the support doesn't put any force on the whipping, and actually protects the whipping from the "spreading" force of me opening the hammock - at least with my method.

headchange4u
12-03-2006, 10:05
When I first whipped my hammocks I left quite a bit of material on the ends because I was afraid of slippage. After seeing in pics that most people have their whips right on the edge of the fabric, against the hem, I re-whipped my hammocks that way.

Like JJ said, the supports tighten down pretty good when you lay in the hammock and I have seen no signs of anything slipping.

rptinker
03-28-2007, 22:10
slippage can be prevented if you fold the gathered ends before whipping it. The support webbing or rope passes through the fold. It would be very difficult for the fabric to slip because of the whipping's friction on both sides of the folded fabric. Most of my hammocks are gathered and folded that way. None have slipped so far.;)

rptinker
03-29-2007, 20:52
uh! I forgot to say the most obvious thing. By folding the gathered end and then whipping it you will have a fatter ends which will help prevent the hammock suspension rope or webbing from sllipping. the fatter ends acts as a convenient stop!