PDA

View Full Version : ENO - Single or Double

Lost
01-30-2008, 20:15
I'm getting ready to buy a new ENO and would like suggestions on getting a double nest vs a single. My only reason for questioning, is I have a HH Explorer Delux and all the extra material bothers me. I am a side sleeper, and with the HHED, if I sleep on one side, my head is on the edge, on the other side there is just a lot of extra fabric in my face.

I think the real real issue is that I'm not a asym fan and it may not be the size of the hammock at all.

So, for those of you who have used both a single and double, give me your input. I'm ready to buy!!!

angrysparrow
01-30-2008, 21:17
Double. There is no drawback, IMO.

The double allows you more room to lay on the diagonal, and thus in a flatter position.

slowhike
01-30-2008, 21:18
my 1st hammock was a ENO single & i took it back because i found it so unstable.
i traded up for a double & it was great.
i'm still not sure if it was because i was new w/ hammocks or because that particular single wasn't gathered & whipped when it was made.
i laid in a single since then & it was fine.
but still i think the double may be more comfortable in the long run, even though i did find the extra width to be bothersome & in the way.
what i did was to cut & re hem the extra strip of material on both sides. i added velcro & then i could bring the sides in to cover me from neck down.
sorry, i don't have pictures. i let someone borrow it last year & haven't got it back<G>.

pure_mahem
01-30-2008, 21:50
Double, might I suggest taking a look at Treklight double it's the same hammock and comes with a lifetime warranty. I have bought two so far and am Happy with both. Seth's a great guy and stops in on hammock forrums every once in a while and lets us know when he's having sales.

weedeater64
01-30-2008, 22:04
I have the double and like it a lot. but I might like the one I made a little better, as it is longer and allows me to stretch out more, gave me the satisfaction of doing it myself, and cost like 10$ compared to 60$

eflat7
01-31-2008, 00:02
I have tried both. Love my double!

CursedKarma
01-31-2008, 02:15
I have both. I only use the double. My daughter of 7 uses the single. I feel like the single does not have enough room when you are in it with a sleeping bag, but the double does.

Hooch
01-31-2008, 05:35
I have to agree with the others on the ENO hammocks. I had a single, got it swapped for a double and love it! I sleep so much more comfortably in the double than I did in the single. The small weight penalty is very much worth it, in my opinion. After adding a structural ridgeline to mine, I an sleep on the asym in it and lay totally flat. I think almost anyone who is going to buy an ENO is better off getting a DoubleNest.

Lost
01-31-2008, 08:43
Sounds like the DoubleNest it is. Heading out after work to see if I can find one locally that I like. (I know I'll probably get to hang in it a few times before Zak leaves on his thru. Then it will probablyh accidently get packed in his bag!)

Thanks everyone for your input. It's nice to be able to draw off of everyone's experience.

Hooch
01-31-2008, 10:32
I know I'll probably get to hang in it a few times before Zak leaves on his thru. Then it will probably accidently get packed in his bag!Not if you hold his cheese powder hostage. :eek: :D

headchange4u
01-31-2008, 18:25
Another vote for the diz-ouble hammock.

Lost
01-31-2008, 18:33
Not if you hold his cheese powder hostage. :eek: :D

Did you taste of that cheese. I don't think I'll be holding that hostage. Now his new tarp is another story. Hmmmm. That's a thought!:D

Nest
01-31-2008, 18:36
Did you taste of that cheese. I don't think I'll be holding that hostage. Now his new tarp is another story. Hmmmm. That's a thought!:D

Heh, they don't know about my new tarp.

Lost
01-31-2008, 18:50
At least I didn't tell them about your new.... never mind!

Hooch
01-31-2008, 19:30
Heh, they don't know about my new tarp.

Spill the beans, baldie. What'd ya get/make/aquire?

Nest
01-31-2008, 19:35

When my dog ripped a little hole in my MacCat I emailed Brian. I got the very first Black MacCat Deluxe that he made this year. So now I have a Black MacCat for the thru.

Nest
01-31-2008, 19:36

In 6 months you can't call me baldie. No haircuts or shaving for the whole hike.

Hooch
01-31-2008, 19:36
When my dog ripped a little hole in my MacCat I emailed Brian. I got the very first Black MacCat Deluxe that he made this year. So now I have a Black MacCat for the thru.Sweet deal man. Did he send it as a replacement or did you have to pay for it? We want pictures!

Hooch
01-31-2008, 19:38
In 6 months you can't call me baldie. No haircuts or shaving for the whole hike.Now this I have to see for myself. You've been pretty clean cut looking every time I've seen you, so we'll see how that comes out.

Nest
01-31-2008, 19:49
Paid for it. The old one is still pretty god, just not reliable for a thru. So now I have 2 maccats.

I'm gonna be a hippie. Gonna sell my car and get a moped when I get back home. Maybe start wearing hemp clothes, and complaining about the establishment. When I commit, I go all the way.

Lost
01-31-2008, 19:54
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

pure_mahem
02-01-2008, 00:49
Stop by in Bennington it's toward the end of your hike and you could work out a deal for the volkswagen bus at the local service station. For an extra dollar we'll throw in a can of spray paint so you can paint some giant peace signs on it, LOL!

Nest
02-01-2008, 01:45
Stop by in Bennington it's toward the end of your hike and you could work out a deal for the volkswagen bus at the local service station. For an extra dollar we'll throw in a can of spray paint so you can paint some giant peace signs on it, LOL!

Awesome! Does it come pre-bumper sitckered, or am I responsible for that part? I'm new to the hippy lifestyle, so I don't really know how all this works. Do hippies sleep in hammocks? I figure they are so laid back and care free they should.

pure_mahem
02-01-2008, 06:21
too fit in with the other hippies you may have to convert your hammock into some sort of bean bag chair, preferably a tie dyed one, LOL!

Lost
02-01-2008, 07:52
We'll have to teach him the lingo.

Groovy, Zak

Far Out

Outta site...

Cannibal
02-01-2008, 08:58
furtigan was down at my place this past weekend and he had one of Brian's Black MacCats, but it didn't look very black to me. It was a couple/few shades darker than his standard tarps, but not black. Is your's actually black?

angrysparrow
02-01-2008, 09:08
I can't speak about Cerberus' tarp, but I got a Black MacCat last spring and it is indeed black.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/0/4/black-maccat-overall.jpg

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/0/4/black-maccat-logo.jpg

Cannibal
02-01-2008, 09:11
Yep, that looks black. furtigan's is more of a charcoal grey; weird.

Nest
02-01-2008, 21:16
furtigan was down at my place this past weekend and he had one of Brian's Black MacCats, but it didn't look very black to me. It was a couple/few shades darker than his standard tarps, but not black. Is your's actually black?

Yeah, mine is black like Angry Sparrows.

Nest
02-01-2008, 21:18
too fit in with the other hippies you may have to convert your hammock into some sort of bean bag chair, preferably a tie dyed one, LOL!

A double layer hammock filled with styrefoam pellets! Man, that's far out.

pure_mahem
02-01-2008, 23:17
Just might be on to something here. although it would be kind of bulky to pack, LOL!

Lost
02-01-2008, 23:26
I think we could just tie-dye a hammock. I know a good campground that we could stay, get in a little kayaking, and join the hippie tie-dye festival for the weekend. It close by and we could save a lot of drive time.

I think it would be funny to get a group of hammock folks there that weekend to let the hippies know there are other strange people around. It could be good for their self esteem.

By the way, the last time we were at that campground, someone commented on Zak's tie-dyed kayak. He's already a hippie at heart!

Nest
02-02-2008, 00:23
Just might be on to something here. although it would be kind of bulky to pack, LOL!

Car camping. It would fit in the Hippy Bus (the VW bus). It actually might be kinda comfy. Like sleeping in a cloud.

By the way, the last time we were at that campground, someone commented on Zak's tie-dyed kayak. He's already a hippie at heart!

It's cloud, not tye-dye! Besdies, she said it was pretty. Cloud colored kayaks are chick magnets. :cool:

Hooch
02-02-2008, 07:50
Cloud colored kayaks are chick magnets. :cool:

***Note to self: Buy a cloud colored kayak.***

***Additional note to self: Learn how to use it.***

Nest
02-02-2008, 15:24
***Note to self: Buy a cloud colored kayak.***

***Additional note to self: Learn how to use it.***

Don't have to use it. Just strap it to the top of your car and dive around town. Maybe stop at Starbucks or something. When you get there walk around inspecting all the straps, and go inside and get a coffee and sit outside drinking it readin the local Yuppie paper. They will flock to you.

That being said, I need to go out and get some coffee or something.:D

Shadowmoss
02-03-2008, 08:16
There is a Starbucks next to the REI in Nashville. I'm just sayin'....

Umm, does it work the other way? My truck used to be enough just by itself, especially with the caver sticker on it, but as IT has gotten older, I need to accessorize it more I think. A kayak might be just the thing.

Nest
02-03-2008, 15:52
There is a Starbucks next to the REI in Nashville. I'm just sayin'....

Umm, does it work the other way? My truck used to be enough just by itself, especially with the caver sticker on it, but as IT has gotten older, I need to accessorize it more I think. A kayak might be just the thing.

Oh, that Starbucks would be perfect. They like sporty guys in the rich parts of town.

If you cover your truck in too many stickers you will drive guys away. They will think you are some hummus eating weirdo.:p

Shadowmoss
02-03-2008, 19:09
Ummm (cough...) I AM a hummus eating weirdo...

You are losing your hippie points quickly. Cloud or no cloud. Sigh, and you showed such early promise for being corrupted, err, I mean enlightened.

Nest
02-03-2008, 20:05
Ummm (cough...) I AM a hummus eating weirdo...

You are losing your hippie points quickly. Cloud or no cloud. Sigh, and you showed such early promise for being corrupted, err, I mean enlightened.

:eek: Ummm... I went looking through the organic section of the grocery store today. Does that help?

Oh, to keep this hammock related and all... Right now I am in my parents' living room in the old hammock bliss that my mom de-netted with her face. Very comfy, and my dog actually managed to get comfortable in it for a little while.

Lost
02-03-2008, 23:10
:eek: Ummm... I went looking through the organic section of the grocery store today. Does that help?

Oh, to keep this hammock related and all... Right now I am in my parents' living room in the old hammock bliss that my mom de-netted with her face. V.

Shadowmoss - he's also losing "son" points!!

Nest
02-04-2008, 00:27
Shadowmoss - he's also losing "son" points!!

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=1963&catid=member&imageuser=285

Lost
02-04-2008, 02:32
Okay - that's it, kiddo. Take a kike!:D

Cannibal
02-04-2008, 08:44
I think I'm regretting telling my Mom about this place now! :eek: Luckily she doesn't post as often as Lost.

I WANT A TYE-DYED HAMMOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!! That would be way cool, totally not stealth, but cool. Ummmmm, no offense Shadowmoss but hummus is icky. Think I'll stick with the brownies my hippie friends make. :D

Shadowmoss
02-04-2008, 14:13
Ahem... those brownies... ummm...

Hummus made correctly is not icky. You need to try some of my hummus. Step into my parlor, err, tie-dyed bus... err...

Cannibal
02-04-2008, 14:26
Hummus made correctly is not icky. You need to try some of my hummus. Step into my parlor, err, tie-dyed bus... err...

I'll take your word for it until I see the tye-dyed bus with a parlor rolling down the road. :D

angrysparrow
02-04-2008, 14:31
Ummmmm, no offense Shadowmoss but hummus is icky.

Hummus made correctly is not icky.

I'm with Cannibal on this one. I've always thought that hummus wasn't actually designed as a food, but as a way for certain facets of the agricultural industry to rid themselves of excess chickpea stockpiles. The good thing about it, though, is that if you were to change the recipe only slightly it could easily be used as a mortar for masonry construction purposes. ;)

Wikipedia entry for Hummus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hummus).

NCPatrick
02-04-2008, 14:35
Depends on what's IN the hummus... :). Roasted red pepper hummus is very good.

Cannibal
02-04-2008, 14:37
I'm with Cannibal on this one. I've always thought that hummus wasn't actually designed as a food, but as a way for certain facets of the agricultural industry to rid themselves of excess chickpea stockpiles. The good thing about it, though, is that if you were to change the recipe only slightly it could easily be used as a mortar for masonry construction purposes. ;)

Wikipedia entry for Hummus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hummus).

Ha! The mortar anology is the same I use for the "grits" arguments. Yeah, I know I'll get flamed for talking bad about grits, but come on 'grit' is something that is usually avoided unless we're talking about sandpaper.

NCPatrick
02-04-2008, 14:42
Ha! The mortar anology is the same I use for the "grits" arguments.

Nah, you're thinking of Cream of Wheat...

angrysparrow
02-04-2008, 14:43
Ha! The mortar anology is the same I use for the "grits" arguments. Yeah, I know I'll get flamed for talking bad about grits, but come on 'grit' is something that is usually avoided unless we're talking about sandpaper.

What if you call it polenta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polenta) instead of grits? Same thing, different culture.

Whatever the name, I find neither ground-corn porrige nor chickpea-paste particularly appealing for snacking while in the hammock. :rolleyes:

slowhike
02-04-2008, 20:12
cannibal... your mom's on HF???

Cannibal
02-05-2008, 08:57
cannibal... your mom's on HF???

Yep! She had a thread many moons ago about a hammock she made for her dog. "Wayfarer" is her user name. She isn't on the forums much, but I'm proud to say she's still a hanger! I'm on a mission to make all my family members throw their beds out. Two down (mom & brother), four to go. :D

headchange4u
02-05-2008, 11:59
What if you call it polenta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polenta) instead of grits? Same thing, different culture.

Whatever the name, I find neither ground-corn porrige nor chickpea-paste particularly appealing for snacking while in the hammock. :rolleyes:

I have always been under the impression that polenta is made from corn and what I know as grits comes from hominy. I can tell you one thing, I like the yellow polenta, but i don't really care for the white grits.

NCPatrick
02-05-2008, 12:02
I like the yellow polenta, but i don't really care for the white grits.

Hmmm.... what if they came in "camo"? ;)

I'll eat any kind of grits, I especially like "speckled heart" grits. But... ymmv, hyoh, and all that jazz.

angrysparrow
02-05-2008, 12:21
I have always been under the impression that polenta is made from corn and what I know as grits comes from hominy. I can tell you one thing, I like the yellow polenta, but i don't really care for the white grits.

You do know that hominy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hominy) IS corn? ;) But no, not all grits are made from hominy.

Not all grits are white, and not all polenta is yellow. It all depends on where/how it was made. It seems to be a complicated subject, with much overlap between the two. I can't help but lump them both into the 'corn porrige' category.

More info here (http://ask.yahoo.com/20021007.html), and of course at grits dot com (http://www.grits.com/discript.htm). There's also a good NPR segment (http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/patc/grits/) about it.

No grits were eaten in the making of this post.

Preacha Man
02-05-2008, 12:41
I have really enjoyed following this post the last couple of days, and yes, I like grits, white, yellow, even 220 :p . I also like the dehydrated vegetarian chili I can get at my local organic coop. They also have good dehydrated refried beans.

And of course the double ENO is a lot better than the single ENO. I have tried making narrower hammocks, and they just do not work for me. I need to stretch out :D