PDA

View Full Version : Custom IX UQ & TQs, peak bags, ridgeline organizers, etc.

rjcress
03-24-2011, 07:38
Howdy folks.
I'm not officially offering services as a retail "vendor". However, I am available for limited one-off, custom stuff.

Here are the things that I can offer:
-peak bags
-ridgeline organizers
-stuff sacks
-hammock or tarp tubes
-whoopie slings and soft shackles
-IX Under Quilts
-IX Top Quilts

I made an IX Top Quilt for an HF member and he sent me this feedback:
"I received the quilt LOOKS AWESOME."

I have a "day job" that limits the time I can devote to making things and don't keep much stock on supplies. It is likely that I'll need to order materials to make most things. If you need something quickly, there are lots of reputable vendors here that are probably a better choice for you. I won't be the cheapest option either, as I can't buy supplies at huge volume discounts and don't have patterns for everything. I have more time invested in projects than the folks that have efficient mini-production lines set up.

If I haven't scared you away yet and you want something customized for you, or just want to help underwrite my outdoor gear habit, then I'll be happy to talk about your project and see if we can work out a deal that makes sense for both of us. (a rather impressive run-on sentence, if I do say so myself)
-Jeff

rjcress
03-30-2011, 15:09
Adding Jerry Chairs to the list. Just made a pair for an HF member. Turned out more comfortable than I expected. :)
Total weight was only 1.87 oz or 52.8 grams!

Bubba
03-30-2011, 16:04
By tarp tubes you mean the same as snakeskins? What would you make them out of? Thanks.

rjcress
03-30-2011, 16:14
By tarp tubes you mean the same as snakeskins? What would you make them out of? Thanks.

My understanding is that Snake Skins are patented.
Tarp tubes are a DIY version that were inspired by Snake Skins, but are not identical. :)

I've made them out of mesh and nylon, but they could also be made from ripstop or silnylon.

Syb
03-30-2011, 16:42
I have a pair of Jeff's skins/tubes/whatever and they're great. He found a ripstop mesh (I think that's what it was) and added the pockets. They're huge and can handle my Kelty 12 and my 11' DIY hammock. Personally, I find Jeff to be one of the
reputable vendors here and wouldn't hesitate to purchase anything from him.

rjcress
03-30-2011, 23:41
I have a pair of Jeff's skins/tubes/whatever and they're great. He found a ripstop mesh (I think that's what it was) and added the pockets. They're huge and can handle my Kelty 12 and my 11' DIY hammock. Personally, I find Jeff to be one of the [reputable vendors here] and wouldn't hesitate to purchase anything from him.

awe shucks
:blush:

Thanks for the kind words, Syb. Glad you like the tubes.:D

Not sure I'm really a vendor, though. I run a sales and marketing consultancy during the day and just make a few custom items for folks "on the side" to help underwrite/justify my gear obsession.

-Jeff

psyculman
03-31-2011, 04:29
Thanks for the fantastic work on your website, the information is comprehensive and useful. I am a big fan of IX, and have made several IX items. My 4 layer IX winter long coat is warm to below zero, and is made to sleep in, instead of extensive UQ and TQ items. But, you have given me some ideas to work on. Nice job!

rjcress
03-31-2011, 09:30
Thanks for the fantastic work on your website, the information is comprehensive and useful. I am a big fan of IX, and have made several IX items. My 4 layer IX winter long coat is warm to below zero, and is made to sleep in, instead of extensive UQ and TQ items. But, you have given me some ideas to work on. Nice job!
Thanks!
That suit is awesome

k45auto
04-07-2011, 13:10
got the chairs great job thanks

G.L.P.
04-11-2011, 00:24
do you have a pic of your tarp tubes?

NewtonGT
04-11-2011, 03:02
what exactly is a jerry chair? sorry im new haha, I saw the pic but dont get it

Running Feather
04-11-2011, 03:54

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11672

rjcress
04-11-2011, 08:51
do you have a pic of your tarp tubes?

You'll find a full "How to" with pictures at:
http://gear-report.com/how-to-make-diy-snake-skins-for-a-hammock-or-tarp-myog/

rjcress
04-11-2011, 08:59

RunningFeather pointed you to the thread that gives the background.
I've got to admit that when I saw the pictures I wasn't impressed.
Heck, I even saw videos of jerry chairs in use and still couldn't figure out what the big deal was. Seemed like more trouble than they were worth.

Then K45Auto asked me to make a pair of Jerry Chairs for him.
I tried one before sending to him and instantly understood why there was such fuss over them.
They may not look very comfortable, but they sure are. :)
I especially like that you can position them such that there is a very nice head rest to lean back against.

Also, since I'm gradually morphing into a gram weenie, I like that they are light.
The one's I've made are all under two ounces.
The chair I'm about to send to MyTeaThor is even less, as I've figured out a lighter way to attach the seat pad. Looking at around 1.6oz.

G.L.P.
04-11-2011, 13:59
you tarp tubes look just like HH snake skins

rjcress
04-11-2011, 14:04
you tarp tubes look just like HH snake skins

Snake Skins don't have pockets to hold your suspension lines and are made of sil.
Mine are made of a mesh that is breathable.
Similar designs in some ways, but very different in application, due to the different material.

NewtonGT
04-11-2011, 18:58
it wont let me go to the link posted :( says I don't have permission haha

Snipen
04-11-2011, 19:24
Newton its in the donating members section

NewtonGT
04-12-2011, 00:10
well thats no fun!

KerMegan
04-15-2011, 12:35
has to do with topic concentration- hammocks outside, other stuff inside, so hammock info is not diluted.
(totally worth the donation, if you've got 10 bucks kicking around...less than 1 dollar per month!)

rjcress
04-26-2011, 11:28
I am incredibly grateful to the awesome folks that frequent HF and have chosen to send their hard earned cash my direction in return for some custom items. :thumbup:
Due to my summer schedule, I will be dramatically scaling back my gear making until things cool off in the fall.

I can still whip out some quick things like my version of the ultralight camp chair (inspired by the Jerry Chair)... I've got a new modified ultralight chair that will accommodate various sit pad sizes and has straight sides, eliminating any fabric that isn't providing support. This allows any variety of sit pads to be used and reduces the overall weight to around 1.5-1.6 oz. :)
I even have a new design for an even lighter ultralight chair that should be closer to 1oz. Hope to prototype this one later this week.

Feel free to send me any custom gear requests that you have, but understand that over the summer I won't be able to get items made and shipped in days... it will be more like weeks. I may also be away from the computer for several days at a time, so PM and email responses may not always be as snappy as in the winter when I spend more time indoors. :)

Recent feedback from HF users:
"Jeff, I received the tubes and chair yesterday. Nice work. Look forward to putting them to use. I might need another one if each..."

"Hey Jeff, I don't think I ever reported back to you on the Jerry Chair... it's awesome!!! I can't believe how comfortable it is. Thanks again."

"Just wanted to say the camp chair made it here and I wanted to thank you again, Iam amazed at how light and simple it is! You sir are a asset to this site!"

"I got the peak bag today. Very nice. It will come in handy. Thanks a lot."

"Jeff, Just a quick note. I received the quilt LOOKS AWESOME."

As usual, if you are looking for "off the shelf" items, there are a variety of great vendors here on HF that can provide them for you at better prices than I can. :cool:

Normark
05-01-2011, 23:50
Jeff..

I'd like to see a pic of your tubes as well...

I also need a couple of things....

Can you drop me a note here please

[email protected]

Thanks

Eric
O/ST

MedicineMan
05-02-2011, 00:18
I'd sign up for one of the ix suits, anorak style, no zippers.

rjcress
05-10-2011, 12:24
Sorry, just saw the last couple of posts.
I broke my foot last weekend and can't operate the sewing machine for a while.
Also realizing that my schedule over the summer isn't allowing any time to make gear.
So... I'll be back in the fall offering to make custom gear, but consider my mini-cottage to have a big "Closed for Summer" sign on the door.
:)

Thanks again to all that I made gear for this past cold season.
Your faith in my (limited) abilities allowed me to defray some of the cost of outfitting my family with our first set of hammock gear (nearly all of which I made) :)

Since someone inevitably asks "how'd you break your foot?" I may as well confess up front...
I had a serious lapse of judgement and was practicing taekwondo in my office. Any mentally challenged 5 year old would have immediately recognized that what I was doing was nearly guaranteed to end painfully, but I was having fun kicking a stuffed sleeping bag off of a low table. After 20 or so successful kicks I was thinking less about NOT hitting the table and more about rolling my hips into the roundhouse kick to generate more power(kicking technique). I swung low and launched the table across the room when I hit it instead of the sleeping bag I was aiming for.:scared::cursing::cursing:
Table 1 vs Jeff's foot 0

Quite possibly the stupidest of the many creative ways I've found to injure myself. :)

On the positive side, I was able to exercise some of the more colorful parts of my vocabulary that don't get too much usage since I left the military.:rolleyes:

NewtonGT
08-13-2011, 02:28
hope to see you back making gear again. its been too long man!

rjcress
08-15-2011, 10:20
hope to see you back making gear again. its been too long man!

Thanks!
Been even busier than I expected this summer. No time to even think about gear making.
Although your note has gotten me itching to create some innovative stuff this winter.

Hope to hit the woods/trails as it cools a bit in the coming months. With the heat here in the South East US and my other summer season activities, I don't even try to camp in the summer. That will change in a couple of years when my mini-me is old enough for Weblos summer camp, and then Boy Scout summer camp.

Y'all enjoy the rest of the summer and start saving your money. :)
I'll be making custom gear again before you know it.

NewtonGT
08-15-2011, 19:53
Thanks!
Been even busier than I expected this summer. No time to even think about gear making.
Although your note has gotten me itching to create some innovative stuff this winter.

Hope to hit the woods/trails as it cools a bit in the coming months. With the heat here in the South East US and my other summer season activities, I don't even try to camp in the summer. That will change in a couple of years when my mini-me is old enough for Weblos summer camp, and then Boy Scout summer camp.

Y'all enjoy the rest of the summer and start saving your money. :)
I'll be making custom gear again before you know it.

haha that sounds good man, and im waiting anxiously to see some more of your handy work. when you return ill hopefully have an order ready for ya