PDA

View Full Version : Really dumb question!

zugcat
04-05-2011, 01:03
O.K. I can tell there is something really cool about Whoopie Slings. I am just not sure what they do that makes them so nifty keen. I have lurked around and watched videos. I even know how to install them now... But, I am still not sure what they really do.

I did say it was a dumb question. :confused:

Silverlion
04-05-2011, 01:06
They are lightweight and make for a speedy set up. That, and they're just cool to make and fun to say!

Bubba
04-05-2011, 01:53
It's neat hanging in your hammock and seeing that you are being supported by rope that is only 7/64 inch in diametre. Also to see how easy it is to slide and milk it to adjust the length yet still hold so much weight is really cool. Just get a set and you'll see.:)

meanmoe
04-05-2011, 01:59
I've got stock suspensions on the two HHs that I purchased last year. I've been ok with the lashing but wanted to try something different. Bought amsteel and just got done making a pair. Don't know which HH will be the sacrificial suspensionbt ones going to go. But not till I get some sleep. Night all.

Bigbogg
04-05-2011, 02:12
Here is another question. How much wieght will the whoopies hold?

kobold
04-05-2011, 02:13
they're cool b/c of their qualities - they are light, strong, small and soft. i know they won't damage the hammock fabric, like some other metal bits would, i know they will fit in any stuffsack and i know that they add nothing to the weight (15g or so). they come in beautiful colours. the only better suspension i can imagine is anti gravity :)

Joey
04-05-2011, 06:28
I backpack. Weight and space in my pack are serious considerations. The whoopies are strong, and pack smaller than webbing, or most other hanging methods. That's the reason, and a huge one for me, that I swapped to using them.

aboyd
04-05-2011, 07:21
I have whoopies on my Skeeter Beeter that I purchased from JRB, and I love them. Wanted a pair on my Black Bird but did not want to remove the ones from the Skeeter, so I made me a set last night for the BlackBird. I am confident in the Amsteel, but need to test my skills at making the whoopie sling. We will do some testing in the yard and find out soon enough.

Jazilla
04-05-2011, 07:32
Before conversion set up for me went something like this. Tie one side of my Hennessey with the Hennessey lashing. Do same on other side. Have a seat. Re-tie one side tighter. good to go, wait oh dang forgot to make the foot end a little higher. Untie and re-tie. Oh now its too loose.....

With whoopies I don't have to tie or untie. Its a simple slip out to tighten and slip in to loosen. Much faster and simpler. I am a big fan of the motto KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID.

Cranky Bear
04-05-2011, 08:19
O.K. I can tell there is something really cool about Whoopie Slings. I am just not sure what they do that makes them so nifty keen. I have lurked around and watched videos. I even know how to install them now... But, I am still not sure what they really do.

I did say it was a dumb question. :confused:

Whoopies for one are cool to say :laugh:, second they evolved by the never ending search to lighten up and the material used went to the extreme in Amsteel and then even more with Dynaglide! This helped the hammocking world dramatically as it cut the weight of suspension down significantly! The backpacking community ("mostly" every other site) doesn't really recognize hammocks as a lightweight alternative to tents, or tarp camping for that matter! So all these things have evolved by many (or a select few) to establish hammocking as a lightweight alternative, and even UL!

Also, finally, there is no dumb question! As I can tell you that if it hasn't been asked before, it should have been!

Here is another question. How much wieght will the whoopies hold?

It all depends on what is used, here are two vids that were done by Opie demonstrating the strength (and destruction) of 7/64th Amsteel Whoopie's!

Hope this helps??

F_bcmUyOjto

XuhvsFG7xvo&feature=related

zugcat
04-06-2011, 23:52
Thank you everyone for the information. :D

I think I get it now. They are:
1. A REALLY light suspension system
2. Easy to adjust the pitch of the hammock.