PDA

View Full Version : faux gearskin missing link

Grinder
12-05-2006, 16:39
I am intrigued by the gearskin concept.

I am making a clone out of denim since I have some on hand. I sewed up the blank today. When done I'll spray it with water proofing.

My stupid local wallyworld is still out of strap, but the bigger store one town away one will have some.

ditto on a cheap backpack for shoulder straps.

My remaining mystery is where in the heck do you buy those nifty little buckles that compression sacks use???

I would also appreciate some guidance on hip and shoulder strap placement theory.

TIA
Tom

Just Jeff
12-05-2006, 17:22
For strap placement...read at REI how to measure yourself for purchasing a pack. Ditto for some of the cottage pack makers. Then try on your current pack and see how everything feels compared to what you just learned. That should get you close enough.

Buckles - go to a craft store and ask for "notions." Walmart has them sometimes, but Jo Ann's often does, too. Otherwise, several online stores have them. I think OWF even has a "notions special" where you just get a bag full of assorted cordlocks, buckles, etc. Someone online has that, anyway.

Good luck on the project, and be sure to post pics!

slowhike
12-05-2006, 17:22
if you have an outdoor/backpacking outfitter near you, they will probably have the quick release buckles.
or you can order them. one source that comes to mind is thruhiker.com.
and on jeff`s site, he has links to a ton of supplyers.

headchange4u
12-05-2006, 17:40
They carry some of those buckles at Ace Hardware.

Grinder
12-06-2006, 18:33
After a trip to Jo Ann's and the subsequent sticker shock ($2.69 each x 10 buckles needed) I turned to eBay.

Found a seller with reasonable shipping. Got 10 delrin quick release buckles for $11 delivered. If the quality is okay, I'm set.

I found some straps from an old external frame backpack. I'll make a hip belt,

I have sewed up the pack blank. I picked 13" x 60 for the finished size. I have cut and hemmed it. There will be a lot of blue ccp showing but, so what??

Thanks JustJeff for the "How to buy a backpack" link at REI. I have an idea at least on how to proceed.

If someone links me to an upload picture FAQ I'll start a photo documentary. (I had trouble the first time I tried)

Tom

Just Jeff
12-06-2006, 20:43
- Click on "Gallery" from the menu bar.
- Just below the preview photos, there's another menu bar...click "upload."
- You'll see some boxes with a "browse" button next to them. Click browse and choose the files from your hard drive.
- Enter the details for the pic and click upload.

Looking forward to the pics!

Coffee
12-06-2006, 23:23
Man you guys are going to make me feel bad about my soon to be ordered gearskin. My skills are not up to par yet in sewing and I figure with materials and time spent I wouldn't come out ahead. That and I already have a couple other projects I need to finish before my hike.

Keep the pics coming through your process, I am interested in seeing how it goes. I like looking at other peoples homemade projects and get ideas for trying my own. Kind of like watching American Chopper, but with hiking and no drama.

Just Jeff
12-07-2006, 03:16
I was kind of intimidated by the thought of making a pack. It really wasn't hard. A bit more time-consuming than most of my other projects, but not that hard. (Of course, I haven't tested this thing to see how the straps hold up yet.) But I think a gearskin would be easier to make than the one I did.

But then, if I were thru-hiking w/o the time to test a pack I made, I'd probably just buy one too.

Grinder
12-07-2006, 07:30
with 10 miles behind and 2000 miles ahead, the buy decision would be easy to make.

It's kind of like hand tools. A professional mechanic needs high priced snap on quality level tools. A home mechanic can use harbor freight quality level.

Imagine being in North Maine with a disintegrating pack!!

Now there's a nightmare.

Tom

headchange4u
12-07-2006, 09:20
I can't wait to see pic. I want to make a Gearskin also.

Coffee
12-07-2006, 09:32
Yeah that was my thought process too.

Time wise I figure when I make things that my time is worth $10 an hour. If I am going to save a lot more than that I make it. If I am only going to have $2 pr 3 dollars an hour, I buy.

Grinder
12-09-2006, 11:21
picture of phase one is up. It just shows the hemmed blank with the straps lain in place.

I'd kind of like to see the buckles before I sew the straps down.

I decided to run the straps all the way across the body instead of two separate for each level.
That way, if the denim isn't strong enough it won't matter. The strapping will do all the work.

Tom

Just Jeff
12-09-2006, 15:17
Link: http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=222&catid=newimages&cutoffdate=1

Good start. How are you going to attach the shoulder straps?

Grinder
12-09-2006, 15:42
The strap detail is still a bit of a mystery.

It would appear you need double straps on the top, The main load bearers go down 2 inches below the nape of the neck and the others to the top of the pack to adjust the hang or set or whatever it's called. Right??

The hip strap is a mystery also.

I found directions to make a G4 Pack. I will probably sew them on like the pattern directs. I think I will sew on a reinforcement patch over that area.

A question: Bar Tacking, per se, requires a serger or similar machine, right??

I will have to sew on with a box and x plus a few straight passes, since I don't have that machine. My daughter has one, but it's an hour drive there, so I'll pass on theoption until/if I encounter problems.

I plan to get the bundling straps on and complete before I worry about these parts.

Tom

blackbishop351
12-09-2006, 18:10
I don't think you'd want to attach shoulder straps or a hip belt using a bartack anyway. If you buy either of those - so I've recently discovered - they tend to have large reinforcement patches attached to them. I'd just use a single large box-type attachment or maybe several smaller concentric ones.

As far as I know, any machine that has adjustable stitch width and length will do a bartack though. Just set the length really short and the width pretty wide, then go to it. That's what I've done, anyway.

Grinder
12-09-2006, 19:51
live and learn. Thanks

Tom

Just Jeff
12-09-2006, 20:09
Yep - a bartack is basically a zigzag stitch with a very small stitch length and a pretty wide stitch width. So if your machine can zigzag, you can do a bartack. But bartacks put lots of holes in the material and can weaken it a lot, so be careful using it on a loadbearing seam.

Grinder
12-11-2006, 11:44
We're cooking now.

My eBay buckles came in today.

I took the easy way out and ordered a set of military pack straps and hip belt from the place that sells Neo's sleeping bags

While I was at it. I ordered a sleeping bag too. The remark about cheap down source rang true with me. I wonder how much down you get in one?? anybody know the amount of fill in an M1949 Sleeping bag?

Anyway, My sewing machine is calling me. Pictures to follow.

Arkwater
12-11-2006, 14:04
The remark about cheap down source rang true with me. I wonder how much down you get in one?? anybody know the amount of fill in an M1949 Sleeping bag?

The old military bag I have has feathers for fill, no down in it!

Grinder
12-11-2006, 15:47
I have sewed on the "bundling straps" .

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/browseimages.php?c=4

The pictures show the pack with a pad, two sleeping bags, a tarp and a bag liner for some bulk. I begin to see the need for ultralight. I may have to increase the strap length.

The hammock, cooking gear, food and water still have to fit. one sleeping bag and the liner can come out.

ay carumba!!!

Tom

Grinder
12-14-2006, 16:25
new question about pack construction:

How does the hip belt connect to the pack body?

No one has close up views of this part of the pack that I can find,

I found reference the belt passing through a casing.

I found references to hook and loop.

I always thought you just sewed them on, but I guess not.

What does the collective think is the "best way" to do this?

TIA
Tom

jlb2012
12-14-2006, 16:48
On the Moonbow Gearskin the hip belt is sewn on a roughly 3x4 inch area in center of back.

Grinder
12-14-2006, 18:11
Thank You, HOI.

If it's good enough for Moonbow, it's good enough for me.

Tom

Grinder
12-22-2006, 09:01
Trouble in paradise!!

My order from Military Surplus came in, without the straps. No mention of the straps, as to backorder or shipped separate or cancelled.

I was thinking of Springer Mountain, but with no pack??? All I have is two small day packs. Can't carry 15 pounds of gear plus food in a day pack.

Could I get to the Springer camp area with a day pack and a big sack or would the "commute" kill me???

I may cobble up some straps from stuff I have on hand. 1 1/2 inch straps , blue ccf pieces from an aborted SPE experiment and cloth from my first hammock.

What the hell!! It might work for a while.

Tom

PS the M1949 sleeping bag came too. It feels warm, but it's a brute!! 6 pounds (not bad. My synthetic down bag weighs 4 1/2 pounds) but lots of bulk.

Just Jeff
12-22-2006, 10:00
You could wear one as a front pack and park at the nearest parking lot.

Grinder
12-22-2006, 17:39
Adversity builds character.

Since I have no "store bought" straps, I made some. I found some 1 1/2 nylon webbing. fabbed up pads out of ccf and polyester cloth.

Pestered my upholstry friend enough to get the heavy sewing done this afternoon.

picture of it http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=269&c=4

In the pic it has two sleeping bags in it. no ccf pad, which will give the entire assembly some rigidity.

I tried to take a side picture in a mirror, but it came out poorly. It shows that the pack falls away from my back, which leads to the next question:

About the top straps. Where should they attach?

I'm leaning toward connecting at the very top on the flap. As I understand it, these straps are intended to pull the pack against your back. The weight is then supported by the hip belt. If that's the case, higher is better. Do I have this right??

Awaiting further instructions, I remain

Tom

jlb2012
12-23-2006, 08:55
ahh now I understand the question from Sgt Rock's forum - yes connect the two strap as high as possible on the back flap and as high as possible on the shoulder harness - top of the shoulder when wearing the harness. Moonbow puts the adjustment buckle at the top of the shoulder for easy access while wearing the pack.

Grinder
12-23-2006, 09:04
thank you so much.

When you are as ignorant as I about the lingo of a sport, it's hard to phrase the question so it is understandable to those who know.

Now I can finish.

Tom

Johnny Swank
12-24-2006, 07:42
with 10 miles behind and 2000 miles ahead, the buy decision would be easy to make.

It's kind of like hand tools. A professional mechanic needs high priced snap on quality level tools. A home mechanic can use harbor freight quality level.

Imagine being in North Maine with a disintegrating pack!!

Now there's a nightmare.

Tom

Or imagine how cool it is to sew your own stuff correctly, with appropriate materials, and use that pack for 2000 miles!

The Gearskin is an awesome pack, and I'd recommend it to anyone. I'd also recommend sewing your own gear if you have the time and inclination.

I've sewn 2 gearskins so far. The first (my own) took about 10-12 hours and came out OK. The second (for the ladyfriend) took 8 hours and came out much better. I may revamp a few things on mine from what I've learned, but it's good to go as is if I wanted to leave on a thru-hike tomorrow.

Grinder
12-24-2006, 09:32
No argument, Johnny.

With the following qualifications:
A first homemade pack with several trips behind it.
or
A second effort, incorporating what you learned in the first.

Practice makes perfect (or closer to)

Tom
Picture of current status
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/0/0/gearskinclone002small.jpg

Grinder
12-28-2006, 13:15
The pack is virtually finished. I'm sewing the load lifters in place now.

Pictures with a full load. (hammock, pads, sleeping bag, liner, tarp and food bag with three days food supply, and cooking gear)

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=292&c=4
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=291&c=4

It's going to Springer Mountain tomorrow. Hope it doensn't fall apart.

I went for a 2 1/2 mile hike today with the pack. It's amazing how much harder walking is with 20 lbs on your back. I'm glad we're not taking the 8 1/2 mile hike option.

Tom

Grinder
01-01-2007, 22:13
The pack worked just fine on the Springer Mountain trip. Pack weight was around 30 pounds. I do need to add sternum strap.

We broke camp in the rain Sunday noon. I left the pad in the hammock and packed it the way moonbow suggested. That it worked out fine.

Miles of Smiles
Tom