PDA

View Full Version : It looks like Onrope1 is onto us.

Chriffer
02-11-2008, 13:17
There's now a minimum of five cinch buckles for a web order from onrope1.com. We must have been really annoying them because every other buckle in the category is minimum one still. Maybe we can convince strapworks or somebody to find a similar buckle and to make a hammock suspension kit or something. Or maybe I'll just buy a hand full of these buckles and pass them out. It looks like about $6.50 shipped would cover the costs for passing them along.

I'd rather avoid buying from a place that specifically makes it harder to buy things from, but I don't see anyone else who has anything similar. So who wants to get some pitchforks and torches and come with me?

Cannibal
02-11-2008, 13:20
Oooh, pitchforks and torches sound fun!

I don't mind them putting a minimum on the order, but I wish they would make it an even number. I could use 4 or 6 of them, but 5 is a little odd (bad pun, but it couldn't be helped).

Reeper
02-11-2008, 13:22
Funny!!!! I just placed an order. Decided since I was having to buy a min. of 5 to meet the $10 min. to do Credit card I mize well buy 6........LOL Anybody want to buy 2 when they come in........lol

HappyCamper
02-11-2008, 13:57
Reeper, i'd be interested in 2. Sent you PM.

Redtail
02-11-2008, 14:11
They've had a minimum $10 order for a while now. That's where the odd number comes form ($2 x 5). I ended up getting four and $2 worth of shock cord. I believe I read here somewhere that they will let you order less than the minimum if you call.

It would be nice if Strapworks carried them also, then it's be one-stop shopping (and shipping) for at least one type of suspension.

angrysparrow
02-11-2008, 14:30
...Just to make it a Prime number (nod to Grizz)...

... but I wish they would make it an even number. I could use 4 or 6 of them, but 5 is a little odd...

So which do you really prefer, Cannibal, evens or primes? Need to make your mind up! :D

Reeper
02-11-2008, 14:33
Glad I could help Happycamper!

Reeper, i'd be interested in 2. Sent you PM.

Mule
02-11-2008, 14:39
What ticks me about them is the $&#^#* shipping! Highway robbery for 10 buckles, almost $10.00.

Reeper
02-11-2008, 14:48
Not defending them and I also hated the high shipping charges and the min. order but I can say from working for a manufacture who sales parts also. We actually have a $25 min. order. Want just a clevis pen, cost you $25.....lol So it could be worst! :D

Just a thought.

Mike

Cannibal
02-11-2008, 15:07
So which do you really prefer, Cannibal, evens or primes? Need to make your mind up! :D

I have no idea where all these number references are coming from today. :eek:

Maybe I'm starting to think I'll miss my adding machines and spreadsheets. Nah, probably not.

GrizzlyAdams
02-11-2008, 17:38
I have no idea where all these number references are coming from today. :eek:

Maybe I'm starting to think I'll miss my adding machines and spreadsheets. Nah, probably not.

Subtle mathematician that he is, Cannibal is showing that he can have an odd number, a prime number, and an even number all in one, seeing that "5" is the 6th number in the series of Fibonacci numbers (0,1,1,2,3,5)

--Grizz

Redtail
02-11-2008, 18:07
Subtle mathematician that he is, Cannibal is showing that he can have an odd number, a prime number, and an even number all in one, seeing that "5" is the 6th number in the series of Fibonacci numbers (0,1,1,2,3,5)

--Grizz

This thread is (golden) spiraling out of control...
;)

Nest
02-11-2008, 18:40

--Grizz

Just had to go and ruin yet another perfectly good thread.:mad:

Now I don't totally blame you since you were called upon. So shame on them too.

GrizzlyAdams
02-11-2008, 22:37
Just had to go and ruin yet another perfectly good thread.:mad:

with heaven as my witness, you started it.

you ain't seen nothing yet as far as hijacking a perfectly good thread.

Young Cerberus did like his cinch buckle
Mocking ring-folk, he darkly did chuckle
But on the AT path
He failed line tension math
And landed butt first in deep muck(le)

:D :D :D
Grizz

Cannibal
02-12-2008, 07:27
Young Cerberus did like his cinch buckle
Mocking ring-folk, he darkly did chuckle
But on the AT path
He failed line tension math
And landed butt first in deep muck(le)

:D :D :D
Grizz

Yea! Cannibal wins the who busts their butts first bet!!! Yippeee! :D :D :D

Grizz, you crack me up man. :cool:

Nest
02-12-2008, 17:17
Yea! Cannibal wins the who busts their butts first bet!!! Yippeee! :D :D :D

Grizz, you crack me up man. :cool:

Don't get too confident. My inability to do math just means I make everything stronger than necessary. You math geeks are too dependant on your science. When it fails you you will be left with nothing but broken webbing and bruised butts.

Hey, can someone creative make that into a lymrick or something?
Let me try...

Here lies Cannibal,
he fell and bust is butt!!!

:D :D :D :D

Schneiderlein
02-12-2008, 19:13
Don't get too confident. My inability to do math just means I make everything stronger than necessary. You math geeks are too dependant on your science. When it fails you you will be left with nothing but broken webbing and bruised butts.

Hey, can someone creative make that into a lymrick or something?
Let me try...

Here lies Cannibal,
he fell and bust is butt!!!

:D :D :D :D

Not really a poet, and no clue what y'all are talking about, but here it goes:

A creative hiker from Illinois,
Used his math skill to shave ounces away.
His suspension was tight,
But equations weren't right,
So on the ground he laid in dismay.

GrizzlyAdams
02-12-2008, 22:55
Not really a poet, and no clue what y'all are talking about, but here it goes:

A creative hiker from Illinois,
Used his math skill to shave ounces away.
His suspension was tight,
But equations weren't right,
So on the ground he laid in dismay.

hey that's good. Although somehow my stuff always ends up heavy.

here's one

Br'r Grizz thought he was fine
hung the hammock with correct angle sine
but used degree---should be rad*
his angle was bad
he busted his butt AND the line

:D
Grizz

* admittedly an "inside" joke for those who know the difference between radians and degrees. I am in fact always mis-calculating trig functions by not looking to see whether my calculator is dialed in to interpret the numbers as radians or degrees.

Preacha Man
02-12-2008, 23:02
* admittedly an "inside" joke for those who know the difference between radians and degrees. I am in fact always mis-calculating trig functions by not looking to see whether my calculator is dialed in to interpret the numbers as radians or degrees.

Thats ok, I understood it. And if I can understand it, that is a miracle. Forget your bridge hammock, ever since you posted the quonset hut pics, I have been very jealous :D. That thing is awesome, but I would not hike with it.

Dwight

GrizzlyAdams
02-12-2008, 23:16
Thats ok, I understood it. And if I can understand it, that is a miracle. Forget your bridge hammock, ever since you posted the quonset hut pics, I have been very jealous :D. That thing is awesome, but I would not hike with it.

Dwight

Thanks Dwight, but it is smaller packed up, and lighter, than you'd think. 2 lbs. 4 oz in its stuff sack, complete with about 16 feet of 2.8mm Spyderline ridgeline.

original JRB tarp 19 oz
overestimate @ door at 8'x4' using 1.3 oz (DWR) 9.25 oz
estimate 1 ft extend skirt around edge 4 yds using 1.3. sil 5.2 oz

33.5 oz (over-estimated) of fabric.

I'd hike with it in the winter...I have hiked with it in the winter. But for other seasons I will go with something lighter and less bulky.

I bet the Preachaswife could do a business in quonset huts if she wanted.

Grizz

Preacha Man
02-12-2008, 23:24
I bet the Preachaswife could do a business in quonset huts if she wanted.

Grizz

I would have to do a lot of begging :D . Right now she is BUSY with everyone else's orders. Maybe one day, if I have been good. After seeing that pic I bowed down to your DIY superiority. We may laugh at your math, but if it allows you to make things like that, Genius

Dwight

DougTheElder
02-13-2008, 11:34
Mule, I placed an on-line order with On Rope 1 yesterday morning. It arrived (standard shipping) this morning before 10:00. That seems like a bargain compared to the 'free' shipping on the Claytor No-Nets...still waiting, patiently and without complaint, but waiting nevertheless. I've enjoyed following your evolution from the ground back to the trees...keep it up.

No Trail Name
02-13-2008, 12:00
Hello everyone, I have been lurking around here for a while and have bought myself and my sons HH hammocks and have used them many times. Really like them alot and i am going to purchase a claytor soon. have not had any problems with temps in the low 30's with just a CC pad and a 0 degree sleeping bag. I am tired of tieing them to the trees and have been looking at the rings,, I like that idea alot and was looking on onrope1 website. Anyone ever try the quick fit buckles?? that looks like it would work
Thanks for any advice

angrysparrow
02-13-2008, 12:08
Anyone ever try the quick fit buckles??

Presumably you mean these (http://www.onrope1.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=479&parent=4)? At 1.75", those are larger,heavier, and more expensive than is needed. The regular cinch buckles (http://www.onrope1.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=118&parent=4) weigh about 1/3 of those at less than 1/3 the price each. But, yes, those could be made to work.

Welcome to the forum.

Reeper
02-13-2008, 13:13
Man, I just ordered the cinch buckles, straps and a thing or 2 more. I think I ordered Monday. My ordered arrived today. Man that was fast. Love it!

briarpatch
02-13-2008, 21:38
What ticks me about them is the $&#^#* shipping! Highway robbery for 10 buckles, almost $10.00.

Make sure to check to see if sites offer multiple shipping methods. On Strapworks, I was able to get the shipping costs for 2 straps down to about $3 by choosing to have them shipped first class USPS.

I've noticed that online sellers don't always default to the cheapest shipping cost, so it pays to check.

gumby
02-17-2008, 10:43
Well I just decided how to make my bridge hammock.

Material - 1000 denier cordura
Suspension - 1/4" stainless cable
Spreader bars - 1/2" stainless solid rods

This way I won't have any problems with math. I'll just need a sherpa and a pack horse to carry it.:D:D

GrizzlyAdams
02-17-2008, 23:18
Well I just decided how to make my bridge hammock.

Material - 1000 denier cordura
Suspension - 1/4" stainless cable
Spreader bars - 1/2" stainless solid rods

This way I won't have any problems with math. I'll just need a sherpa and a pack horse to carry it.:D:D

maybe Cerberus will build one with you and serve as the pack horse ;)

My inability to do math just means I make everything stronger than necessary...

Grizz

traviso71
02-18-2008, 00:03
I ordered my stuff from them a couple of days ago & entered my email, but have not recieved any confirmation of my payment, order, etc.... Did you all get any of that?

FanaticFringer
02-18-2008, 01:15
I ordered my stuff from them a couple of days ago & entered my email, but have not recieved any confirmation of my payment, order, etc.... Did you all get any of that?

On rope 1 does not give a confirmation if I remember correctly.

ZDP-189
02-18-2008, 05:13
Email them asking if you can have your order dispatched to 5 different locations.