PDA

View Full Version : CLark UL

bobcat13
02-14-2008, 12:14
I keep reading all the posts about the North American. I just bought a UL for my AT thru-hike. Anyone used a UL and have any thoughts on its performance?

pisgahfan
02-14-2008, 13:23
I own a NA, but haven't tried the UL. Clark makes an excellent product, so I'm betting it will perform just as well as the NA.

jedbear
02-14-2008, 19:22
Hi Bobcat,
I'm more of a hammock newbie than you. I have an NA that I have yet to even carcamp in or backyard camp in. So, I would appreciate the jounaling of someone who is planning a serious hike. I hope to take my Clark to the Alabama Hiking Trail Society annual conference this time next month and join some other "hangers" who plan on holding a demonstration of various hammocks during the weekend event. Maybe I'll learn a trick or two from some
experienced "hangers".

slowhike
02-14-2008, 19:56
Hi Bobcat,
I'm more of a hammock newbie than you. I have an NA that I have yet to even carcamp in or backyard camp in. So, I would appreciate the jounaling of someone who is planning a serious hike. I hope to take my Clark to the Alabama Hiking Trail Society annual conference this time next month and join some other "hangers" who plan on holding a demonstration of various hammocks during the weekend event. Maybe I'll learn a trick or two from some
experienced "hangers".

welcome to HF jedbear. quite a few experienced HH users here that will be glad to help answer questions.

hangnout
02-14-2008, 20:32
I have a Clark UL that I use when I need a bugnet. I have some pics in my gallery. I used one for years, sold it last year, and wished I had it back. I bought another one from someone on this forum and life is good again:D . I use a 1/2 UQ with a short pad under my legs and have used it in the single digits. I am not sure why everyone goes with the NA but I think they would be better off getting the UL (if it fits them) and spending the extra money to upgrade tarp and get an UQ. Looking forward to seeing how the UL works for you on the thru-hike.

FanaticFringer
02-15-2008, 18:20
Hi Bobcat,
experienced "hangers".

I plan on being at that event in Alabama. Was asked to take part in the demonstration. www.hikealabama.org
Any other hangers who want to come should check it out. The Governor will be there on Sunday as the Pinhoti trail officially connects to the AT.

bobcat13
02-26-2008, 11:54
I'm planning on using this for my thru-hike. I'm starting in Georgia on March 26. I'm still in the market for a good winter bag. Currently I'm looking at the Mt. Hardwear Ultralamina 15. I will also be using a closed cell foam pad. Will this keep me warm enough? any other suggestions?

FanaticFringer
02-26-2008, 16:26
I'm planning on using this for my thru-hike. I'm starting in Georgia on March 26. I'm still in the market for a good winter bag. Currently I'm looking at the Mt. Hardwear Ultralamina 15. I will also be using a closed cell foam pad. Will this keep me warm enough? any other suggestions?

I suggest doing some good testing locally with your gear. Also check this site out for some hammock camping 101.
www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html