PDA

View Full Version : VIDEO: More knots, the Pile Hitch

Redoleary
04-10-2011, 15:58
Here's another nice option for guy line to tarp stake.

r4Z7OLAYQ3c

Running Feather
04-10-2011, 16:04
Thanks. Looks neat and simple.

Hawk-eye
04-10-2011, 16:07
Nice knot ... and I love the intro to the video!

stormcrow
04-10-2011, 16:07
well, I am a die hard Marlin spike user but this is definitely a candidate for consideration....Not to mention it maintains the "wow" factor of simplicity.

Thanks Redoleary!

Knotty
04-10-2011, 17:08
Love it. Knew the knot but never thought to apply it with tent stakes. Thanks Redoleary.

gRaFFiX
04-10-2011, 17:24
Is this knot for people who make their adjustments at the tarp? I'm considering changing my setup for a more simple, but slightly heavier alternative. Thankls for the video, that knot is very simple, and I'm sure I can find all kinds of other applications to use it with also.

Bubba
04-10-2011, 20:00
Thanks for posting. Will have to try it out next time I'm out.

Mule
04-10-2011, 20:15
Thanks, I like that too.

Knotty
04-11-2011, 01:13
Is this knot for people who make their adjustments at the tarp? I'm considering changing my setup for a more simple, but slightly heavier alternative. Thankls for the video, that knot is very simple, and I'm sure I can find all kinds of other applications to use it with also.

Or just do the hitch and then hold tension as you drive the stake into the ground.

TZBrown
04-11-2011, 06:18
NEAT KNOT :)

I have always preferred a smooth cord end to eliminate tangles.

I usually used a clove hitch, or larks head, to tie the stakes to the lines, but this is so much better.

A loop, if the stakes pull out, from wind whip, usually results in the stake flying off, never to be found again. :(

Shug
04-11-2011, 08:22
That does look down and dirty and quick. Will be trying that one.
I love a slo-mo knot.
Shug

Redoleary
04-11-2011, 08:28
Thanks. Looks neat and simple.

Thats what I like about it, its so simple.

Nice knot ... and I love the intro to the video!

Thanks, Intro is courtesy of my new DIY Stickpic, so get ready for me to wear that out:D

well, I am a die hard Marlin spike user but this is definitely a candidate for consideration....Not to mention it maintains the "wow" factor of simplicity.

Thanks Redoleary!

I was just watching your marline spike vid the other day, and its hard to beat the "flow" that this hitch has. I hope you'll give it a try.

Love it. Knew the knot but never thought to apply it with tent stakes. Thanks Redoleary.

You're welcome Knotty. I used to be a clove hitch guy, but there's no doubt this is easier.

Yes, estimate where you want your stake and hitch it to the line and drive it home.

Thanks for posting. Will have to try it out next time I'm out.

You're welcome:)

Thanks, I like that too.

Thanks Mule.

NEAT KNOT :)

I have always preferred a smooth cord end to eliminate tangles.

I usually used a clove hitch, or larks head, to tie the stakes to the lines, but this is so much better.

A loop, if the stakes pull out, from wind whip, usually results in the stake flying off, never to be found again. :(

True, it would likely hold on pretty well if pulled out by a whipping tarp.

NCPatrick
04-11-2011, 08:29

Well, never to be found by YOU anyway... somebody's finding them. :jj:

Great hitch Red. Thanks for the video.

Redoleary
04-11-2011, 10:09
That does look down and dirty and quick. Will be trying that one.
I love a slo-mo knot.
Shug

Tough to make a knot look cool.... I'm not sure slo-motion is the answer:lol:

Well, never to be found by YOU anyway... somebody's finding them. :jj:

Great hitch Red. Thanks for the video.

You're welcome, glad you liked it, any excuse to make a video is a good one:D

chickenwing
04-11-2011, 10:15
COOL knot and I love the 'instant replay' in slow-mo:thumbup:

canoebie
04-11-2011, 10:15
Nice Red, I like it, will be using it as part of my "fiddle factor" next time I am out.

Redoleary
04-11-2011, 17:41
COOL knot and I love the 'instant replay' in slow-mo:thumbup:
Thanks CW, I think its a cool hitch too.:cool:

Nice Red, I like it, will be using it as part of my "fiddle factor" next time I am out.

Thanks Canoebie, its sorta fun to fiddle with, plus I think chicks dig it:boggle:

mountain_man_mike
04-11-2011, 19:46
Or just do the hitch and then hold tension as you drive the stake into the ground.

+1 to that. Knotty's suggestion looks like a great approach for that knot.

Knotty
04-11-2011, 21:59
+1 to that. Knotty's suggestion looks like a great approach for that knot.

I believe it's what Redoleary had in mind from the beginning, so credit where credit belongs.

backpackingZombie
04-11-2011, 22:23
I have a terrible memory for knots, but this is pretty nice for a quick setup and non-messy tear down.

TAlexander
04-13-2011, 22:37
It doesn't get much easier than that. Thanks for the video.

DavidWa
04-13-2011, 23:17
Thanks. Nicely presented instructional video. I'm a knot guy but never really thought about the pile hitch for camping. Just stuck on it being used the first way I saw it presented, as a way to tie to a pier piling, never thought of using it on a guy out line peg.

This evening I found a variation called the 'double pile hitch'.

It would only require another twist around with the ground peg before putting the end though the bight of the line, as demo'd in the first video.

It might be a good variation to use if you are using slippery line, like zing-it, it will offer a bit more friction and thereby be a bit more secure. Probably little advantage with line that is not slippery.

P9-IgQLHxac

Not as nifty a presentation , but easy enough to figure how-to tie it using the method show in the first post.

linuxhack
04-18-2011, 07:50
I used this extensively during tarp setup this weekend and it worked great! (I tied it way more times than I wished trying to get the tarp just right.)

The only issue I had was that it can get pretty tight and hard to untie, especially with small cord. That is not an issue as long as you can slip it off the end, but a couple of time it worked itself into the eye of my mountainfitter ti-eye stakes so it took a little work to get out.

It was pretty windy and I had to of the stakes pull out in the wind while I was away from camp, but the stakes were still attached to the guylines like intended.

Thanks Red!

Redoleary
04-18-2011, 08:10
I can see where it could be hard to get off if you couldn't slip off the end. Glad it otherwise worked for you tho'. Thanks for the report.

Gqgeek81
04-18-2011, 16:48
The second video makes this look related to the Klemheist knot.

Will be adding this to my list.

Hangin' Burrito
04-24-2011, 04:40
Nice video presentation!:thumbup1: Can never know too many knots. I'll be trying this one out.