PDA

View Full Version : Dutch CLips rough on tree straps?

MattH
04-11-2011, 13:03
Hey everyone,

I just got back from hanging for 8 nights straight (well except that one night in the tent with my wife). The first day I hung my Traveler on my usual straps, sat down to test it, started hearing a popping sound. Next thing you know I am on the ground. Strap broke. I have been using these straps with Dutch clips since December and haven't been able hang that much.

So luckily I had the stock Warbonnet straps in my bag. Brand new, so I used them the entire week with no issues. I used them on multiple trees of varying diameter so I wasn't loading the strap at the same place all the time. I noticed when I took my hammock down the last day, that the straps were already showing some wear where they contact the Dutch Clip.

Does anyone else get this premature wear? I don't want to give up the Dutch clips, but I don't want to replace the straps every other month or so either.

I may try the carabiner setup like WarbonnetGuy shows in his videos and see if that changes things.

Cannibal
04-11-2011, 13:08
I noticed some wear early on with the DCs, but I also learned I wasn't positioning them correctly. Put the DC on the side of the tree instead of forming a "V" pointing to the hammock. It seems to put a lot less stress on the clips and therefore, on the straps. I haven't noticed any undue wear and tear since I started using them 'correctly'.

I admit (with some reservation) that I still like the simplicity of a biner and ring set-up. I have Dutch Clips and use them often, but I still use biners for new hangers because there is nothing to 'know' about using them and nothing to really pay attention to during set-up. Genuine Draft also gets biners on her set-ups...same reasons. :D

Doctari
04-11-2011, 14:06
None so far, & I've used em a LOT. BUT, I agree with Cannibal: Make a "P" around the tree not a "V" pointing to the hammock & it will be easier on the straps AND the Dutch Clips. After about 200 uses (In one year), many of them doing a V, my clips are very slightly warped, still no signs of wear on the straps though. And the clips haven't gotten any worse since I stopped doing the V. Sturdy little buggers, probably not meant for the abuse I've put them through though. :D

Dutch
04-11-2011, 14:22
The clip is suppose to be smooth. If that is not the case then I need to fix the problem. Is there a burr or something? They should not cause any more wear than a Biner.

BER
04-11-2011, 16:46
I had a similar thing happen the other day while showing off my hammock, but it was my own darn fault. I didn't have the strap fully into the slot of the DB, and when I sat down on the hammock I got that POP and the end of the biner had punctured through the strap. Just have to be careful to have the strap fully seated into the slot.

Rug
04-11-2011, 16:51
Idea for DC modification.....

What if we filed the edges down so that the webbing contact area is rounded instead of a sharp 90^ angle?

Dutch
04-11-2011, 16:55
Idea for DC modification.....

What if we filed the edges down so that the webbing contact area is rounded instead of a sharp 90^ angle?

They are rounded, very rounded. I use a 1 inch belt sander and follow it up with stone tumbling.

MattH
04-11-2011, 18:15
Ok I inspected my Dutch clips and they appear to be flawless I regard to craftsmanship. They are sanded round with no burrs. I also went back to my straps. One looks OK. The other is somewhat damaged. It's almost like it was "scrunched" down in the clip from the weight of my body pulling it down.

I did use them on the side of the tree this week with the pressure pulling back against it toward the hammock to cinch it to the tree.

I will keep an eye on it and keep better mental notes next time.

I hope I did not come across as putting the DCs down. They are great! I just want to make sure I am doing everything right with each component of my system.

pizza
04-11-2011, 18:39
No wear on my straps from Dutch Clips yet. Like others mentioned I position to the side a little rather than straight inline with the hammock. I only have one set of DC's though. My other whoopie set just gets the straps threaded through one another which works just fine.

MAD777
04-12-2011, 12:13
I haven't experienced any strap wear and I always use Dutch clips. But, I am diligent about checking to make sure the straps are positioned in the clips correctly and smoothly.

PackBacker81
04-12-2011, 12:41
No wear on mine... for those with wear are you using the JRB tree huggers?

I had been using my in a V shape... thanks for the tip on using a P shape instead.

Shewie
04-12-2011, 13:09
Can't say I've had any wear issues with either my mkI or mkII DCs. I did take a bit of wet & dry to them when they turned up though, just to give them a smoother round on the insides.

Sambeaux
04-12-2011, 13:33
Any one have a pic of how the Dutch Clips should be used with tree straps?

thanks

Knotty
04-12-2011, 23:40
Any one have a pic of how the Dutch Clips should be used with tree straps?

thanks

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/3/7/3/img_7435_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=7824&c=searchresults&searchid=89796)

Fronkey
04-12-2011, 23:47
I've never had any problems with mine as well. They work great!

Knotty's photo pretty much explains it all. Good luck

Fronkey

Dutch
04-13-2011, 07:32
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/3/7/3/img_7435_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=7824&c=searchresults&searchid=89796)

That is using it like a V and works fine. However if you are a heavier hanger or have a longer span on the trees I suggest you spin the Dutch Clip to the right 4 inches. It takes a lot of stress off the clip and the webbing.

Youngblood
04-13-2011, 08:24
Over the years I have used maybe a dozen different polyester webbing styles, or types, on various hammocks and one thing that is apparent to me is that not all webbing functions or wears the same... and I am talking various webbing that may be the same width, rating, and material. There is a science to webbing and manufacturers use various recipes to achieve their goals.

IMO, in general, lighter weight webbing of the same material is not going to be as durable but it is going to be more flexible. There is a number of different weaves, or whatever they call it, they use for webbing that affect durability, stiffness, friction, etc.

I have used knots with webbing, cinch buckles, etc and it appears to me that webbing that may work better with knots (holding & easily releasing) is a little iffy on durability in general but particularly when used with sharp bends against metal. Conversely the stiffer & thicker weaves that appear more durable are iffy with knots (particularly releasing) but don't seem to have the issues with sharp bends against metal.

From my limited experiences, I would pick one type for knots, another type for use with sharp bends against metal, and there are some I wouldn't particularly care to use at all.

Hawk-eye
04-13-2011, 08:50
That is using it like a V and works fine. However if you are a heavier hanger or have a longer span on the trees I suggest you spin the Dutch Clip to the right 4 inches. It takes a lot of stress off the clip and the webbing.

That's how I do mine ... to one side. Here's a rough sketch ... little to no stress on the clip or the line due to the clip. Most of the holding force is friction on the tree trunk. It's worked great so far and no wear from the DC on the webbing that I've seen.

pizza
04-13-2011, 11:42
I mount my clips with the open end facing up.

crizyal
04-18-2011, 20:45
I don't want to hijack this thread but does this "P" configuration also apply to straps using a sewn loop, threading the strap through the loop? Am I putting undue stress on that loop using the "V" configuration as I usually do?

kobold
04-18-2011, 22:17
i would say yes..