PDA

View Full Version : question on straps

traviso71
02-15-2008, 20:39
I have ordered my rope, cinch buckles, & carabiners. That leaves me with the webbing. I am lookin at getting 2, 10' sections thru strapworks. Before I did, I wanted to consult the oracles here at HF. I was going to get 2, 15' sections, with loops sewn on the ends of both lengths. I was a little concerned about being able to fit a loop thru the buckles.... will the looped webbing fit thru it ok, or will it be too thick to slide thru? Also, how wide should I have the loops sewn? I figured 2" but didnt want to order, in the event that there was something that I had not considered with a 2" loop.

Thanks as always!

Trav

angrysparrow
02-15-2008, 20:49
I have ordered my rope, cinch buckles, & carabiners. That leaves me with the webbing. I am lookin at getting 2, 10' sections thru strapworks. Before I did, I wanted to consult the oracles here at HF. I was going to get 2, 15' sections, with loops sewn on the ends of both lengths. I was a little concerned about being able to fit a loop thru the buckles.... will the looped webbing fit thru it ok, or will it be too thick to slide thru? Also, how wide should I have the loops sewn? I figured 2" but didnt want to order, in the event that there was something that I had not considered with a 2" loop.

The looped webbing will fit through the buckles with no problem at all. Also, you can choose any loop length you like, so long as a biner will clip through it.

Reeper
02-15-2008, 20:52
I just redone all mine tonight. I ordered 2 straps 12' long. I ordered the ones that had the loops on them and got the loop sewn at 1". The biners fit perfect in the 1" loop. Also, I didn't see a problem with the loop on the other end going throughthe cinch. You'll love that set up.

traviso71
02-15-2008, 21:00
thanks guys!

Miguel
02-15-2008, 21:03
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=2674&catid=searchresults&searchid=3233

Here's pic of one similar to mine. I also sewed another loop on the other end of the strap which BTW is less than a foot long. I attach the other end to my hammock with a short length of cord. I then have my 12' foot strap run from the tree to the cinch buckle. It's a sweet little setup.

Miguel

Coffee
02-15-2008, 21:36
Good call, long straps are fantastic.

headchange4u
02-15-2008, 21:48
Good call, long straps are fantastic.

So after all your time on the trail, with the variety of trees and and circumstances that you encountered when setting up your hammock, what do you consider the best length for suspension webbing?

Coffee
02-15-2008, 21:55
So after all your time on the trail, with the variety of trees and and circumstances that you encountered when setting up your hammock, what do you consider the best length for suspension webbing?

If memory serves me correctly my straps are 15 feet and my guy lines on my tarp are 12 feet. I may be a little off, but hopefully not.;)

With that I can hang in a lot of spots others can't. I got tired before seeing a cool spot and not being able to hang there either from the distance or the diameter of the trees. For some reason I like hanging on older trees. More of a feeling like I am being a part of something for the night that has been there awhile.

Mule
02-15-2008, 23:38
Check this stuff out. I bought a hundred feet
http://www.strapworks.com/Heavyweight_Polypropylene_p/htp1.htm

slowhike
02-16-2008, 10:20
If memory serves me correctly my straps are 15 feet and my guy lines on my tarp are 12 feet. I may be a little off, but hopefully not.;)

i agree... that's about the length i use on my tarp & hammock.
i'd rather have that few extra feet of length to give me options.

Coffee
02-16-2008, 13:04
Yeah I have made the decision when I start going through my whole kit now I am going to try and simplify as much as possible.

I think that will take the weight and the hassle down, while still giving me a lot of options.

Quoddy
02-16-2008, 18:46
Although I have the 'biners, I've just been feeding the straps through the 2" loops without them. Any particular reason this isn't the way to go, other than taking about 5 seconds extra?

angrysparrow
02-16-2008, 18:59
Although I have the 'biners, I've just been feeding the straps through the 2" loops without them. Any particular reason this isn't the way to go, other than taking about 5 seconds extra?

There have been reports that threading webbing through itself like that is more abrasive than using a biner, and can cause surface wear that leads to binding. I'm not aware of any evidence to support that, though.

If I were you, I'd use it that way for a while and just keep a watch on the surface of the webbing inside the loop where it crosses through itself. If you see any abrasion or wear, then you know a biner is needed. If not, then you'll know it isn't going to be a problem for you.

Either way, it might be nice for you to report back about it after using it that way for a while. The more information about that use we have the better.

Coffee
02-16-2008, 19:13
There have been reports that threading webbing through itself like that is more abrasive than using a biner, and can cause surface wear that leads to binding. I'm not aware of any evidence to support that, though.

If I were you, I'd use it that way for a while and just keep a watch on the surface of the webbing inside the loop where it crosses through itself. If you see any abrasion or wear, then you know a biner is needed. If not, then you'll know it isn't going to be a problem for you.

Either way, it might be nice for you to report back about it after using it that way for a while. The more information about that use we have the better.

I had this problem after a night or two. The stresses involved seemed to melt the 2 straps together. I could pull them apart but they showed signs of wear.

hangnout
02-16-2008, 21:08
I had this problem after a night or two. The stresses involved seemed to melt the 2 straps together. I could pull them apart but they showed signs of wear.

I noticed this more with polypro webbing. I had it melt together to the point it was hard to pull apart. I have not noticed it as much with the HD polyester and the seatbelt polyester does not have this problem that I have noticed. I am currently using some 1.5" seatbelt polyester from strapworks that weighs .25oz a foot. I sewed a loop in one end and then went 4-5' from the loop and doubled the webbing over to make a .75" strap for the remainder of the length. Works great with the rings this way. The 1.5" seatbelt polyester is lighter than the 1" that strapwork sells.

TiredFeet
02-17-2008, 12:34
I noticed this more with polypro webbing. I had it melt together to the point it was hard to pull apart. I have not noticed it as much with the HD polyester and the seatbelt polyester does not have this problem that I have noticed. I am currently using some 1.5" seatbelt polyester from strapworks that weighs .25oz a foot. I sewed a loop in one end and then went 4-5' from the loop and doubled the webbing over to make a .75" strap for the remainder of the length. Works great with the rings this way. The 1.5" seatbelt polyester is lighter than the 1" that strapwork sells.

Are you saying that the 1.5" seatbelt webbing from strapworks is lighter than the 1" seatbelt webbing from strapworks??

I got some of the 1" polyester seatbelt webbing (http://www.strapworks.com/Polyester_Webbing_p/sbw1.htm) from strapworks and sewed loops on the ends for tree huggers. That stuff works great. They don't give a rating on it, only say that it is close in strength to the regular polyester webbing. I assume that means it is close to 3500 lbs, say over 3000 lbs.

hangnout
02-17-2008, 12:43
Are you saying that the 1.5" seatbelt webbing from strapworks is lighter than the 1" seatbelt webbing from strapworks??

I got some of the 1" polyester seatbelt webbing (http://www.strapworks.com/Polyester_Webbing_p/sbw1.htm) from strapworks and sewed loops on the ends for tree huggers. That stuff works great. They don't give a rating on it, only say that it is close in strength to the regular polyester webbing. I assume that means it is close to 3500 lbs, say over 3000 lbs.

Yes it is. It is wider but thinner. I ordered the 1.5" first then thought I would save some weight and ordered the 1". It is thicker and about .4 oz a foot.

TiredFeet
02-17-2008, 12:45
Yes it is. It is thinner but wider. I ordered the 1.5" first then thought I would save some weight and ordered the 1". It is thicker and about .4 oz a foot.

That I like. I'll have to tr some of the 1.5" seatbelt webbing.

Oms
03-21-2008, 05:43
I recently bought a HH hammock which has buckles on it, but it did not come with the straps. I am a little puzzled by why loops are needed on the straps. Do you choke the strap and then feed it through the buckle or is that too much stress for the loop. I figured to tie it off like a Speers where it wraps around the tree several times and then sinch it down with the buckles. Is there a different way you guys are doing it? Also what is a good type of stap/material to use? I agree to go longer on the straps. When I set up the Speers I would have to find smaller trees in order to go around several times.
Thanks for the info.

angrysparrow
03-21-2008, 07:28
I am a little puzzled by why loops are needed on the straps.

We use loops and a biner to make things faster, on the tree end.

http://www.tothewoods.net/ImagesHomemadeGear/20070207RingBuckleSupports-05.JPG

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/0/4/cc-buckle_closeup.jpg

Do you choke the strap and then feed it through the buckle or is that too much stress for the loop.

??

I figured to tie it off like a Speers where it wraps around the tree several times and then sinch it down with the buckles. Is there a different way you guys are doing it?

There is no need to wrap the trees multiple times. Once is quite sufficient.

Also what is a good type of stap/material to use? I agree to go longer on the straps.

Polyester webbing has the least stretch, so is most appropriate for the purpose. Here (http://www.strapworks.com/Strapworks_Simple_Sling_p/hss1s.htm), Strapworks offers a 'simple sling' (your choice of length of 1" polyester seatbelt webbing including sewn end loops).

traviso71
03-21-2008, 07:51
I am glad I went with the 15' straps from strapworks, with loops at both ends. I am considering using a length of para cord & some creative knotting to make a non structural ridgeline out of the excess strapping, so the weight isnt going to waste.

Heber
03-21-2008, 18:30
Not to take things off topic but that is an interesting buckle you have on that strap, angrysparrow. That looks cooler than the two climbing rings method. Where can a person get that?

Youngblood
03-21-2008, 18:58
When I set up the Speers I would have to find smaller trees in order to go around several times.
Thanks for the info.

You can always resort to a just one wrap around a large tree and secure it with a slippery knot with the webbing when you can't find smaller trees. I have used a slippery bowline and it released okay. I think others use a couple of half hitches with the 2nd one slippery... actually a lot of folks finish off the multi-wrap knot with a couple of half hitches, the 2nd one slippery.

angrysparrow
03-21-2008, 19:13
Not to take things off topic but that is an interesting buckle you have on that strap, angrysparrow. That looks cooler than the two climbing rings method. Where can a person get that?

OnRope1 (http://www.onrope1.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=118&parent=4). It's called a cinch buckle. Lots of info on this forum about the buckles.

Oms
03-21-2008, 20:17
Thanks Angrysparrow for the pictures to help clear it up for me. The hammock has the same buckles as shown. Now I'll have to get some for my other hammock. Did I read somewhere before that it is a good idea to put a knot in the loose part of the strap after the buckle or does it never slip? I hung once in a terrible windstorm where I bounced up and down till at least 3 in the morning. Needless to say I didn't get much sleep.

angrysparrow
03-21-2008, 20:25
Did I read somewhere before that it is a good idea to put a knot in the loose part of the strap after the buckle or does it never slip? I hung once in a terrible windstorm where I bounced up and down till at least 3 in the morning. Needless to say I didn't get much sleep.

It is certainly advisable if you were using a pair of rings, but I've never found it to be necessary with the buckle.

Oms
03-22-2008, 07:07
Even with using a carabiner most still like having 15 ft. of strap? I suppose this helps with site selection or large trees. I was having trouble wrapping the Speers with bigger trees and was wondering what would happen if I ended up in old growth forest. As for the straps, I can see having a loop on one end, but why the other?
Thing I don't get is without the help from you guys on this forum I may have given up on hanging. The Hennessy has a cord which is a pain to tie off and when learning to center and correct for sag takes a lot of time. The Speers ties off nicely, but like I said before, is limited due to the straps. I think they should offer more information or accessories for hanging. I feel like I'm finally getting a handle on things.
Thanks

Dale
03-22-2008, 08:02
I just cut the ropes on my HH yesterday and added straps and rings. I hung the hammock between 2 posts in the basement. Wow what a difference in setup and adjustment.

Dale

angrysparrow
03-22-2008, 20:54
Even with using a carabiner most still like having 15 ft. of strap?

Some do. I carry 12' ones now, and find that to be best for my purposes. Longer than that and I prefer to change site selection, shorter than that is limiting. YMMV

As for the straps, I can see having a loop on one end, but why the other?

There is no downside. It gives you a backup in case something should happen to the stitching of the loop (just turn the strap around) and the only weight penalty is the thread that the second loop is sewn from.

...I feel like I'm finally getting a handle on things. Thanks

Great! That's what the forum is for.

Splat
03-26-2008, 19:52
I haven't gotten my Claytor Jungle Hammock yet, my first foray into Hammockdom :) but it appears this webbing with cinch buckle system is one of the quickest/easiest ways of securing a hammock. Can this system be used with a Claytor Jungle Hammock? If so, I'll go with the 1.5" polyester webbing but the only cinch buckles I find are either 1", 1-3/4", or 2". Can I use the 1-3/4" with the 1.5" webbing?

warbonnetguy
03-26-2008, 20:03
you can get really good 1" polyester webbing from www.owfinc.com i've heard the 1.5 strapworks is pretty light, but haven't tried it. the owf webbing is good stuff (it's the camo webbing) and i'm guessing it would work great with the cinch buckles, but i don't have the buckles so i don't know for sure.

Splat
03-26-2008, 22:26
Well, I just ordered (2) 12' lengths of 1" polyester Simple Sling with 1" loops from Strapworks. We'll see how it goes. Just gotta wait for my Clayton, my JRB tarp,..... well, I gotta wait for everything to get here. :p
--
Splat