PDA

View Full Version : Diggin' the Light Hiker!

JaxHiker
04-12-2011, 17:58
After an excruciating weekend of waiting for Pizza's package to arrive I finally have my new Light Hiker. I could hardly wait until my son agreed to join me in the backyard. I had to lose a couple of games of Hi-Ho-Cherry-O but it was worth it!

We went out and had the LH setup in no time. This was my first time dealing with the whoopie slings and bishop bag. I'll have to figure out how to keep using my ring buckles since they really make adjusting everything so fast. Luckily, though, the included straps worked fine but had I picked the tree right next to the one I used it wouldn't have worked.

My son beat me to the punch and had his boots off and was in the hammock before I could say, "Light Hiker!" He thought it was very comfortable.
http://images.idratherbehiking.com/gear/shelter/light-hiker/P1000565-640.jpg
That's my Hennessy sitting on the ground by the tree. ;)

As others have already said the workmanship is top notch. I'm sooo going to love finally being able to get the netting up and out of the way. I want to fire up the stove just so I can see what it's like to cook out of the hammock using it as a chair. :)

I like the two gear bags and think they'll work out better than what the Hennessy comes with. I also like the non-structural ridgeline. Overall I found it pretty darned comfortable. Sadly, I'm not really able to give a complete assessment since my son insisted on squirming around. I'll have to set it up again tomorrow when he's out of the house but I'm happy so far.

http://images.idratherbehiking.com/gear/shelter/light-hiker/P1000572-640.jpg

One thing that impressed me right out of the gate is how much lighter it felt than the Explorer Ultralight. It's killing me that I can't find my scale to see the actual difference but I think I'm shaving about a pound making the switch. If so I'll be truly thrilled.

WildOne
04-12-2011, 18:02
Looks awesome. They have them back in stock and i'm waiting on a reply about shipping to me here in UK - i'll have to learn patience with this coolgear from overseas with our postal service hehe

enjoy !

pizza
04-12-2011, 18:07
Glad it arrived safely. Enjoy!

richtorfla
04-12-2011, 18:10
I'm glad you like it. It looks nice. I was staring at this and kept saying should, I should I ,then you beat me to the punch when I was getting ready to pull the plug and buy it! You will really like it. Plus I don't have to hear " you bought another hammock!" May have to liquidate and get me one of these. Been wanting one since Darby introduced them. They are just plain cool!

MAD777
04-12-2011, 18:18
Congratulations!

Joey
04-12-2011, 18:24
That's one happy hanger!!!

^shane^
04-12-2011, 18:49
Welcome to the Light Hiker club:thumbup:!

I can't decide if I'm sleeping in my LH or the new 1.1 Dbl SB this weekend at the Oklahoma hang. I KNOW the LH is comfortable. You are going to love it.

JaxHiker
04-12-2011, 18:57
WildOne, hope you manage the wait better than I did. :D

Rich, glad I could save you from yourself. ;)

Found the scale. As-is i'm 11.1 oz lighter. Not quite a pound but I bet I can figure out how to eek a little more out of it. :cool:

islander
04-12-2011, 20:44
Nice post Jaxhiker. Looks like that hammock fits you just fine. Almost didn't recognize you without the beard you were wearing at the Florida Hang in January.
All you people sporting these sweet, comfy Light-Hiker's are going to sway me into picking one up too.
Looking hard to resist!

JaxHiker
04-12-2011, 20:48
That was my incognito look. :D Sadly it's also my "It's too darned hot now in FL" look.

Bubba
04-12-2011, 21:03
Welcome to the club. Used mine for a quick solo car camp a couple of weeks ago and it was quite comfy. Enjoy!

JaxHiker
04-13-2011, 21:52
I had a little more time in the hammock after work and it sure is comfy. I think I'm going to like this so much more than the Hennessy and wonder why I didn't switch sooner. I'll be sleeping in it this weekend and will post back more.