PDA

View Full Version : Newbe's Question about pads

Bugzee Malone
02-16-2008, 11:19
I am a newbe and I am sure this has been asked before, but why not just put the pad in the sleeping bag with you instead of using a quilt etc.
I tried this and it seemed to work fine.:)

jaiden
02-16-2008, 11:31
If it works for you, go for it! It is probably easier with certain bags depending on their zipper configuration. Also, I'm not sure pads would fit in my bag with me. Another consideration is the sides of your shoulders and hips might press against the side of the hammock without having a pat in between. If none of this bothers you, great!

Bugzee Malone
02-16-2008, 11:41
Thanks for the reply,
I have got a MontBell super stretch #2 bag and there is plenty of room in it for me and the pad. I am not a little guy at all. I didn't inflate the pad fully so it wrapped around me. Didn't notice that my hips/shoulders got cold.

Coffee
02-16-2008, 12:54
I have that same montbell bag and really like it. I used it for the last 2 months of my thru, along with a quilt inside of it on the ground. I love the extra room in it. I can move around without feeling like a mummy. I have put my 2" big angus pad in it before. In the super cold I can put my 3.5" loft quilt inside without overly compressing the quilt.

Try putting the pads in the hammock, and the bag only overtop of you like a quilt. This will put all of the loft overtop of you. Any insulation from the sleeping bag underneath you will be compressed and useless. This way you will be getting more insulation out of the same bag.