PDA

View Full Version : Whoopie Sling mod for TL Double

samjaynes
04-13-2011, 12:19
Hopefully this is a silly question - but is modifying the TrekLight double to use a whoopie sling as easy as pulling the locked brummel through the channel and 'larks head', or should apply the larks head before, and leave the rope in. I believe Paul recommend removing the included rope, and replacing with chain link - but I am going the whoopie sling path.

pgibson
04-13-2011, 12:27
With a whoopie, ya still remove the stock rope and larks/girth hitch the fixed loop in to the channel of the hammock...done. Chain Links are for when you are using buckles, rings and so on.

Bubba
04-13-2011, 12:34
You could certainly feed the fixed end loop through and larks head it. Using a chain link can provide some options. With the chain link you can use two descender rings as cinch buckles for webbing. You could also connect a whoopie sling using a dutch biner or carabiner. You could put a biner on the chain link and attach webbing using a hitch of your choice. You could even use the chain link loop to go around a marlin spike hitch. Some of these are harder to adjust than others but its possible and gives you options.

samjaynes
04-13-2011, 14:47
With a whoopie, ya still remove the stock rope and larks/girth hitch the fixed loop in to the channel of the hammock...done. Chain Links are for when you are using buckles, rings and so on.

Thanks Paul - Great to hear from you. Sounds like a plan. I checked your website yesterday, are you out of cinch buckles currently?

pgibson
04-13-2011, 14:51
Yep, been out of them for a couple weeks. Not sure if we will be carrying them or not in the future. Loaded with some other projects at the moment and have not been able to get more done.

samjaynes
04-13-2011, 15:31
Yep, been out of them for a couple weeks. Not sure if we will be carrying them or not in the future. Loaded with some other projects at the moment and have not been able to get more done. :scared::scared::scared: but yet intrigued on the projects :confused::confused::confused:

Thanks for the update - I have some descender rings in the meantime.

samjaynes
04-16-2011, 09:21
Completed, used a 8" section (4" loop) for the locked brummel, and worked like a champ. Mission completed.

11steve11
06-16-2011, 14:48
My son's double is done exactly the same way; remove rope from channel and insert locked brummel. The other end gives him about 4' of woopie to a biner. I'll be doing mine next week at scout camp if I have some extra time.
So far we've had no issues with the setup.

oldgringo
06-16-2011, 16:04
Fwiw, I don't just remove the stock rope, I untie it, leave it in place, and secure it to the fixed loop or chain link with a sheetbend. Then I remove it, pulling the new suspension through the channel. Saves a bit of rope rasselin'.;)