PDA

View Full Version : Light Hiker Write-Up

JaxHiker
04-14-2011, 19:05
Just finished a little mini-review of my new Light Hiker in case anyone's interested. Check it out at my blog right here (http://www.idratherbehiking.com/light-hiker-hammock/). I meant to have the title read "Light Hiker...A Pictorial" but now I can't seem to edit the title.

When I started looking at the Switchback line I didn't find much to show me the real detail of the hammocks. I hope I've bridged that gap with the Light Hiker at least. Hope it helps someone that might be on the fence.

^shane^
04-14-2011, 20:28
Nice write up!

Joey
04-14-2011, 20:34
excellent write up!

Syb
04-15-2011, 04:58
Jax, thanks to you and ^shane^ I may have to try some Tree to Tree Trail Gear. **** you, both of you! :D
Great write up and I really like the way their bugnet moves up and out of the way. Hopefully someone at MAHHA will have one for me to see.

DuctTape
04-15-2011, 05:16
Very nice write up. With the materials, I was expecting it to be a bit lighter.

^shane^
04-15-2011, 07:08
Jax, thanks to you and ^shane^ I may have to try some Tree to Tree Trail Gear. **** you, both of you! :D
Great write up and I really like the way their bugnet moves up and out of the way. Hopefully someone at MAHHA will have one for me to see.

Stop yer whinin' and just get one! :) I was just following Alan's lead when I got mine. Now I have two...

JaxHiker
04-15-2011, 08:40
Thanks everyone. If just one person is helped (Syb ;)) than my work here is done. :D

DT, the weight listed on their site is unrigged. Now what that actually means I'm not 100% sure. I'm assuming just the hammock. Not sure if that includes the ridgeline or not. The whoopies probably add a few ounces along with the tie-out shock cord. I'm already looking at ways to shave off a few more ounces.

Darby
04-15-2011, 16:16
Thanks everyone. If just one person is helped (Syb ;)) than my work here is done. :D

DT, the weight listed on their site is unrigged. Now what that actually means I'm not 100% sure. I'm assuming just the hammock. Not sure if that includes the ridgeline or not. The whoopies probably add a few ounces along with the tie-out shock cord. I'm already looking at ways to shave off a few more ounces.

The weight is just the hammock after it is sewn. Rigging can change. We tend to use rigging that is a little more heavy duty than some like, but we do that for design and durability reasons. We have lightened up a little be switching to "No Tangle" for the rigging line, but I am a firm believer in the 1/8" shock cord, especially for the net rigging.

Cheers, Dale

JaxHiker
04-15-2011, 16:18
Thanks. I was hoping you'd be along. Just curious, why only 2 d-rings? Weight?

Darby
04-15-2011, 16:38
The D ring tie outs are to accentuate the diagonal lay. The other two tie outs are for even more room & rigging insulation in some cases.

Cheers, Dale

JaxHiker
04-15-2011, 18:27
Things that make you go, "Hmm." Thx again!

JaxHiker
04-16-2011, 08:37
Well, last night I spent my first night in the Light Hiker. I have to say that while it took me a while to get to sleep (which always does in the backyard with AC and other noises) I slept GREAT! I found it easy to get in various positions while trying to get to sleep and once I was out I was OUT.

I always make a cardinal sin in the backyard for some reason and put the foot to the east. That means that about 7 this morning the sun woke me up. Well, a simple reposition and I was back out until the bladder screamed at me around 8:40. I NEVER sleep this late!!

If you'd like to know how I really felt when I woke up, watch this.

o89iKsKw19M

jeroldharter
04-16-2011, 08:58
You could save even more weight by swapping the carabiners for toggles and a Marlin spike hitch. Saves a little bulk as well.

JaxHiker
04-16-2011, 09:16
Interesting. At 5-6g per pair compared to the biners which are about 62g combined I'd have about 57g or about 2 full oz! I think I'll have to look into this.

Darby
04-16-2011, 13:55
Love the video, one of my favorite songs. Nothing beats happy hanging:boggle:

JaxHiker
04-16-2011, 15:35
Beautiful Day to be in my new hammock.

JaxHiker
04-17-2011, 08:07
You could save even more weight by swapping the carabiners for toggles and a Marlin spike hitch. Saves a little bulk as well.

I swapped out the biners last night and they worked great!

^shane^
04-18-2011, 21:24
I think I lost my Light Hiker this weekend...

My wife slept in it...

Comfortable and warm...

Oh well, it was nice while I had it.

JaxHiker
04-18-2011, 22:51
Women. Can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em. :cool: