PDA

View Full Version : Use bug bivy in hammock ?

jlb2012
02-21-2008, 12:41
As I was looking over some old gear I came across a bug bivy and I got to wondering if it would work in a HAAB type hammock - its lighter than the Hammock Bliss bug net I have and since I use pads I am thinking that it just might work for me in the hammock since the pads would probably keep it from getting twisted and the bivy would keep the pads from slipping around.

Anyways - anyone ever try this or something similar like a regular bivy in the hammock and if so what are the issues with the approach?

GrizzlyAdams
02-21-2008, 13:03
As I was looking over some old gear I came across a bug bivy and I got to wondering if it would work in a HAAB type hammock - its lighter than the Hammock Bliss bug net I have and since I use pads I am thinking that it just might work for me in the hammock since the pads would probably keep it from getting twisted and the bivy would keep the pads from slipping around.

Anyways - anyone ever try this or something similar like a regular bivy in the hammock and if so what are the issues with the approach?

I tried a bivy once, more to protect the down quilt from condensation falling from the tarp than for bugs. But it was a "load from the head only" kind, no side zipper at all.

Extremely hard to get in and out of while in my hammock. I punted on the idea after that. A bivy with a half-length zipper might not have had that problem.

Grizz

headchange4u
02-21-2008, 13:52
I think a bug bivy would work in a hammock as long as it's easy to get in and out of like Grizz mentioned.