PDA

View Full Version : HH as tent on ground

2Questions
02-21-2008, 18:24
I've seen a picture or two of how my HH could be set up on the ground if required but wonder if anyone has any experience doing so. I know I'd rather try hard...real hard..to find a place to hang but think places like open balds or treeless grass fields would make it tough. So I'd like to learn how now with the hope it may never happen. I'm still using pads for now but that may change soon to a UQ. Thanks for the feedback.;)

FanaticFringer
02-21-2008, 18:27
Never had to go that route thank god. Cant really recall someone posting about having to go to ground in one. Might be a few who have.

Cannibal
02-21-2008, 18:38
I've never had to do it, but I did set it up in ground mode in the yard one day. It works OK other than feeling a wee bit goofy getting into it. I guess if I was in an area where bugs were real bad I might do it, but otherwise I'd just cowboy it.

slowhike
02-21-2008, 20:06
the only time i came close to using my hammock on the ground was a time i was using less than ideal support straps between two trees that were farther apart than i would have liked.
after re tightening the straps a couple or three times, i decided i had better let my rear rest on the ground or i would snap one of the straps by continuing to re tighten them.

one important thing to keep in mind is to put something between your hammock & the ground to protect it from abrasion... ccf pad, empty pack some kind of ground cloth???
the hammock needs to be protected since it's expected to support your weight in the air & abrasion isn't good<G>.

greggg3
02-21-2008, 20:27
I tried it in the backyard and did not like it, I felt claustrophobic in it on the ground. I'd just use the tarp if there were no trees and forget trying to get in the hammock - maybe if I was being eaten alive by mosquitoes and black widow spiders, otherwise I don't like being in the thing on the ground

Take-a-knee
02-21-2008, 22:06
The only reason I can envision would be to escape the bugs, you have a tarp.

cgul1
02-21-2008, 23:04
Sgt Rock discusses here
http://hikinghq.net/hammock/hammock3.html#Tip%203
bivy tent style

IndyDan
02-21-2008, 23:57
After hiking all day, I arrived at shelter late in the evening. It had been pouring rain most of the day. I was just too tired and wet, so I decided to set my HH in the shelter with three other hikers. I was concerned about support, so I just tied up the ends. It was like I was using on the ground. As the rain continued that night, the mice were stampeding everyone! By daylight I looked out to see three new tents pitched outside. The mice drove them out into the rain. Not my most comfortable night, but at least the mice didn’t crawl all over me.

daibutsu
02-24-2008, 17:11
I'd be most concerned in weakening the nylon underneath me. A small tear or abrasion might run into a big rip. Sure HH seems to have excellent customer service, ( if you don't have to abort your trip ) but even this out of warranty use might outweigh the less expensive chinese manufacturing costs which may allow HH to be so magnanimous.